Opinion

Letters: Dark media coverage

Comments

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 7, 2013 7:44 a.m.

As long as it sells. Razzle dazzle is what sells.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    April 6, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Want idyllically wholesome entertainment? I'm sure there is a 1950's disney cartoon showing at the Pleasantville drive in.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 6, 2013 1:29 p.m.

If you want fluff pieces there's still USA Today.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:22 a.m.

As is my normal, I disagree. It is my belief that the entertainment business reflects the mood of our culture rather than the other way around.

But even as I write, I see that I agree with Mister J. Seems like you have to be quick on the draw to get your ideas in sometimes.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:01 a.m.

As for entertainment, Art reflects life not the other way around.

As for news, there is the old adage "if it bleeds it leads"

To summarize, a *wise* man (Marilyn Manson (yeah that 1)) once said, "Sensationalism sells."

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2013 9:24 a.m.

This is a fine letter that contains some fundamental truths. It's been a long, long time since anything worthwhile has been broadcast as "entertainment" on network TV. And movies? Ha!

What might happen if there were more movies like Sidney Poitier's classic "Lilies of the Field?" Or "Driving Miss Daisy?" Or TV shows that portray good people doing good things?

How is it "entertaining" to come away from a theater or turn off the TV before bedtime with a sinking feeling in your stomach? (Or is it possible that too many of us have become so desensitized that we actually do not have that feeling? Do we no longer recognize the good things in life and simply accept as "normal" the garbage that flows into our living rooms?)

I'm old enough to remember when TV and movies were much more uplifting than now. And I really think the changes toward a darker side of America began to appear when the brightness of our "entertainment" began to change.