Utah

Letters: Not the Wild West

Comments

• DougS Oakley, UT
    March 30, 2013 10:10 a.m.

When the details of the bill came out, I agreed with the veto. While Utah is an "open carry" state, I'm sure that many would feel threatened when someone carrying a sidearm walked into their store/theater/office/home.

I do believe in the 2nd amendment being for the purpose of protection against threats to personal as well as public safety and security.

Do I carry a firearm in public? No. Do I keep one at home? Yes Why? Because it is faster that a phone call.

Comparing Dodge City to places like Chicago (strict gun control) or Washington D.C. (strict gun control) both of which have high crime rates involving guns; more or less proving that gun control does not deter the criminal from doing his thing.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    March 30, 2013 7:23 a.m.

As a Republican delegate, I applaud Governor Herbert for his veto of this bill. He took a lot of flak during the last campaign for what others called "lack of leadership". I think what they really didn't like was his quiet demeanor. I consider him a leader of the best sort - not a loudmouth, but one who is willing to do what is right in spite of the political consequences.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 29, 2013 8:59 p.m.

Quote from Matthew Quigley, "This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickock."

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2013 8:55 p.m.

If they override the veto it will be the high water mark of extreme right wing policy in Utah. Reasonable people can only take so much.

• ugottabkidn Sandy, UT
    March 29, 2013 1:18 p.m.

There was only one purpose of this law. It is to give citizens the ability to intimidate their neighbors with a distorted method of messaging. When I go to a townhall meeting and we have paranoid citizens packing heat it is nothing more than implied threat that is their way or the highway and there is no other way to phrase it. Guns have their purpose in our society but not in the form that has been legislated. I agree with the letter writer. Uphold the veto!

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Irony: Sorry but the other side would see him as a guy who today would fly over in a black helicopter or drone!

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    March 29, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Irony of the Day: Marshal Wyatt Earp did not allow guns within Dodge City limits. All who entered the city were required to "check their guns" with him until they left the city. No one except the police were allowed to carry weapons within the city limits. Earp was actually Mr. Gun Control.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    March 29, 2013 9:41 a.m.

...as a remember,
    85% of Utahans also support BackGround checks!