Family

Sherry Young: Foul language is lazy, uncultured expression

Comments

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    March 15, 2013 6:05 p.m.

I am currently reading the biography "Brigham Young, Pioneer Prophet" by John G. Turner. Can a Prophet of God use language that would make a modern sailor blush? Evidently so. Does this knock him off the Prophet pedestal? I don't think so. B.Y had a lot on his plate to get the Intermountain west settled. He also was a man of his times. I'm on page 275 of 413 BTW. Do Church leaders use ungentlemanly language still? Probably, I don't worry about it..

• JHP Okemos, MI
    March 15, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Spencer W. Kimball once quoted the old saying: "Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly."

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    March 15, 2013 11:17 a.m.

There came a time when I was so flabbergasted by my kids that I just couldn't think of any other words. One of my daughters said, "those words hurt my ears". We came up with a "swear jar". Each time I swore, I put a quarter in it. It had to hurt, because a penny, nickle or a dime wasn't enough. That did it! After a buck's worth of money, I was done!
    Thanks, sweetie!

• Farr West OGDEN, UT
    March 15, 2013 8:16 a.m.

Excellent article Sherry! Almost 40 years ago, when I was in the miltary, I was watching a national newscast and the anchor reported on a study that basically said that the language we use is a reflection of our intellegence. That story had a profound effect on me. I resolved to stop using profanity immediately. Except for a few rare moments, I have been successful. Later, after I got married, I was home with our first child, who was a handful, while my wife was at a Church meeting. She (my two-year old daughter) got frustrated with me and stood up, put her hands on her hips, cocked her head, and said, "Da.. it Dad, give me a break." I was flabbergasted. Then I pictured her mother, after Sarah had put her through the ringer, putting her hands on her hips, cocking her head, and said, "Da.. it Sarah, give me a break." I then laughed. Kids do pay attention to the language we use.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 15, 2013 7:52 a.m.

I've always wondered why the movie ratings use the term "Adult Language" instead of "Foul Language." Just saying, most adults I know don't use rude foul language.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:36 a.m.

Goodness gracious,Golly Wally, geepers creepers, sha zam. good to think about the time when Mom would wash my mouth out with sope. I could make her laugh by blowing bubbles.