Utah

Doug Robinson: Dick Nourse hopes to get life back on track

Comments

• ApacheNaiche PINETOP, AZ
    March 13, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Vios con Dios Mr. Norse. I remember seeing you walking along State Street and Social Hall Avenue when you first arrived in Salt Lake many years ago. I heard rumored that you were asked to replace Walter Cronkite when he retired, but your love of Utah kept you here. You are a state treasure and I will pray for your recovery every night until you get well.

• Sophie 62 spring city, UT
    March 13, 2013 12:18 a.m.

Dick, your voice will always be remembered by those of us who've always watched the news on KSL. I hope you recover and that your family and you will find hope for your dear son. Good luck to you and God bless you.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    March 12, 2013 9:36 p.m.

Kronkite is a good comparison. Like Kronkite you couldn't tell their politics even though both are far apart on the scale. That's what a good journalist does. He does his job and keeps his bias out of it as much as humanly possible. The only thing I can say about Nourse that surprised me was that he never made it to the bigger stage. Great voice, professional, and physically attractive. Maybe it was his choice not to go upward to the national or bigger city level, but he did a great job for Utah...

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    March 12, 2013 7:51 p.m.

"Utah's Walter Cronkite"?

Around here, Dick Nourse is better known and loved than Walt!

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    March 12, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Just a side note about cancer. I think that statistically it is not uncommon for someone to suffer from a second or third type of cancer after using chemotherapy and or radiation. There needs to be more education on alternate options for treating cancer instead of using the poison that is currently pushed to the victims of cancer. Good luck Mr. Nourse - I wish you all the best!

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    March 12, 2013 3:57 p.m.

Liberal Ted.
    All I can say is, keep digging.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2013 3:28 p.m.

If ever there was a perfect example of bad things happening to good people, this has to be one.

From everything I've ever seen from the distant vantage point that I have, Dick, Debi and their son are all great examples of really great people. One of their attributes, clearly, is personal integrity and strength, something that has supported them so far.

I fully expect and pray they will continue to receive the strength they all need to face the awful challenges they have.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2013 3:04 p.m.

First, the article gave the illusion that Dick isn't a guy that blames others for his situation, or something along that line. Good for him. I just cannot understand how he would blame his cancer or his sons situation on anyone or anything. I'm sure it's because he's in a tough place right now and many people would be blaming god, Bush or the Republicans for their sad sorry state. But, not Dick he soldiers on despite it all.

Second, talk about some bitter comments towards me. Sorry you feel that way. I suppose you can take your comments and apply your name to them as well.

Third, No one refutted my claims that he read a teleprompter. Had a nice voice. And that very few people actually know him. Watching someone on TV does not constitute knowing him. If that is your idea of a relationship, you live a sadder life than what you accuse me of. But he does read the teleprompter very nicely. The same with obama.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    March 12, 2013 1:49 p.m.

@liberal ted

As Doc Martin would say...

Stop Whining!

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 12, 2013 12:31 p.m.

I didn't know how good Nourse was until after he was gone.

Local news now is.....well......sometimes kind of silly.

A sort of "stupid pet tricks" mixed with entertaining "reading of the headlines".

A journalism professor some years ago taught me to "actively listen" to the news; i.e. how many times do the newscasters say "almost", "very nearly", "came close".
    Those are ALL indeterminate phrases that mean absolutely nothing in the news sense.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 12, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Nourse, Welti and James, it just flowed that way for so many years. It was something that you could count on always being there. I have been away from Utah for nearly ten years, but seeing stories like this brings me down memory lane. I am sorry for the suffering this family has to go through, I wish them the best and proud of his wife for the care she is giving her husband and son, I have been a caregiver and it is a loving sacrifice.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 12, 2013 11:47 a.m.

cancer is the most scary disease ever! Norris is well acquainted with this disease...hope he is able to beat it a third time. Sad to see cancer come back after so many years in remission.

• Brother Dave Livermore, CA
    March 12, 2013 11:12 a.m.

May the Good Lord Bless Dick, Debi, and Dayne.

Cancer is such a nasty and ugly intruder into many families and individual lives.

Hopefully, someday, cancer will be in the history books of yesterday.

I, and others, will be at and support this year's "Relay for Life" to help eradicate this
    ugly disease.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2013 10:28 a.m.

Our best to Dick and his family. You have been a little part of lots of lives, and a big part of some. May the prayers from all of those people lift you up.

• rbgntx Kaufman, TX
    March 12, 2013 10:30 a.m.

I first saw Dick Nourse doing the news while serving in the Air Force in Montana in the early seventies. KSL was one of the few cable channels on our barracks tv. When I got out of the service, I moved to Utah to go to college and there he was every night. He always seemed like a good and genuine guy. I wish all the best to his family and him.

• Grandma Char Kaysville, UT
    March 12, 2013 9:58 a.m.

So sorry to hear this sad story!! I have to wonder if the new 3D printers will one day be able to help the Nourse's beloved son. It can make him new bone, I'll bet! God Bless them!

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    March 12, 2013 9:40 a.m.

We became acquainted with Dick through both KSL News and a local charity organization in the late 1970's. What a strong, yet kind individual!
    Dick became a comforting friend to many, many of us over the years, as well. One could always depend on his nightly visits into our homes. He may have not known this, but he really did seem like part of our family.
    We certainly do appreciate the DN's continuing articles about the Nourse family.
    Hopefully, Dick and his family will realize everyone's love and positive thoughts for them continue on.

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2013 9:25 a.m.

I'm guessing my first comment didn't get approved, so I'll try again with it toned down even further. To the people that have great experiences with Dick Nourse, I say that's great. My only experience with him working a hotel Christmas function years ago was not that way. I do hope this will be permitted to be posted. I think it's great to sing a person's praises. I also think that if we do that, we should be able to be reasonable and offer the occasional counterpoint if it in fact exists.

• GTX Gilbert, AZ
    March 12, 2013 9:06 a.m.

Re: Liberal Ted
    You really missed your calling in life. Your comments reveal your ability and nature to kick someone when their down. There are people who find the negative in life and spread their venom. On the other hand there are those who empathize with anyone who struggles with challenges they face and offer support with kind words and encouragement. Your comments were dark and hurtful. I dont know what your purpose in life is but your commentary reveals it's nothing positive. You must be a joy to work and live with. Get a clue.

• Ray E. LITTLETON, CO
    March 12, 2013 8:57 a.m.

I grew up watching Dick Nourse, Bob Welti and Paul James, and though I've been away from Utah for over 30 years, I still know their names, and have long since forgotten scores of other newscasters I've watched since then. Best wishes to Dick, Debi and family. You deserve a great outcome for the service you've given your legion of followers for half a century.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    March 12, 2013 8:57 a.m.

I had the marvelous opportunity to have Dick Norse in my home for an evening many years ago, and even though it wasn't for very long, and I was just a nobody from St. George Ut. he treated me as if i was important to him. I've followed his story with interest and feel compassion for him and his family. He is indeed a great man and I wish him the best and his family also.

Liberal Ted: Huh?

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    March 12, 2013 8:20 a.m.

Liberal Ted
    Not sure I understand your many comments.
    Interesting

• qapilot Orem, UT
    March 12, 2013 7:52 a.m.

Dick Nourse is a 100% genuine man, without an ounce of arrogance or falseness. On a field trip many, many years ago to KSL, he treated my sixth graders with absolute kindness and class ... happily answering their endless questions without talking down to them. What a pleasure and treat it was to spend some time with him.

Liberal Ted, we keep hearing about Mr. Nourse because his story is continuing, and because people who know him want to know more about him. He's the real deal, and I wish we could read more stories about people like him ... people who are grounded despite their success. He's the real deal (a true journalist AND human being), and I wish and pray all the best for him and his family.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    March 12, 2013 7:47 a.m.

Best wishes to the Nourse family. I hope to read more articles about the Nourse family as things get better and there is triumph.

• atlcoug Atlanta, GA
    March 12, 2013 7:02 a.m.

When I lived in Utah, I always enjoyed watching Dick Nourse give the news. I think one of the reasons he was so well liked is that he never seemed pretentious. He was just a good guy with a great voice, and that came through on screen. Sometimes it is obvious that a newscaster thinks that he or she is pretty hot stuff. I never felt that way about Nourse. I think a lot of people are pulling for a man who was very successful, but always seemed like he could be the guy next door.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    March 12, 2013 6:18 a.m.

Best of luck to Dick and his family. To anyone who has heard Dick present the news, knew he was the best at what he did. You can beat this AGAIN. Thoughts and prayers to you, Debi and Dayne.

• ECR Burke, VA
    March 12, 2013 5:42 a.m.

Growing up in southeastern Idaho, I could always count on Dick Nourse's golden voice to give me the news - just the news without commentary - and it made me feel a little safer hearing his voice. I've been gone from the Salt Lake media market for 25 years and I know much has changed but I've always used Dick Nourse as the standard of excellence in newscasting whereever I've lived. Best wishes to him and to Dayne and Debi. May God's love bless their lives the way they have blessed so many.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    March 12, 2013 2:35 a.m.

I wish it were possible to get a word to Dick because he is part of the family even though he doesn't know I exist. The only news persons I can recall from my time in Utah, Texas, NorCal, Colo, Arizona is Dick, Bob Wentii, and Paul James. Dick iwas trustworthy, very professional, and you paid attention to what he said. He was a part of everything important in the state, the Stadium of Fire, fund raising for the Primary Children's Hospital, the Provo Freedom Festival, etc. The guy gave voice to what really mattered. I wish him the best and I hope he beats this thing, to lose the man would feel like losing part of your soul.