Doug Robinson: High-flying Knights shatter hoops stereotypes while doing things 'the right way'

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 4, 2013 8:00 p.m.

I'm not sure how it's off topic to ask about the team that the article is written about?

Try again. What, if any, other teams recruited the LP players besides BYU? I just want to know. Not trying to create drama, just a question. Anyone?

• Just my thoughts Davis County, UT
    March 4, 2013 10:26 a.m.

Austin Coug.

Ok, I did say he was being handled by decent teams, but 'handled' is too strong. BYU cannot win without Tyler Haws. I think he is the best player on the team, but I don't think BYU's style of play tries to set him up.

Against the decent competition on their schedule he has done okay. Not great. When he is the focus of the other team's defense, BYU doesn't get him the ball in good spots. Usually the offense is either one pass and whoever has it shoots or whoever brings the ball up the court shoots it. No plays are run for Tyler Haws to shoot an open 3. So he knows if he is going to score he has to force shots and hope he gets fouled. Sometimes that works, but for the most part it doesn't.

All this being said, if he played under a system that was a bit more disciplined I think he would be hard to contain.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    March 4, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Colorado Reader

"How can he leave on a mission May 1 if he is still in High School and they don't graduate until the end of May at the earliest???"

Lots of high school seniors complete all of the requirements for graduation in the first semester of their senior year, so any classes they take their second semester are not required for graduation.

• Old Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    March 4, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Glad these kids are good kids and planning on going on Missions.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    March 4, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Just my thoughts,

Tyler Haws is averaging 20+ points a game this year and is the youngest ever at BYU to reach 1,000 points. Not sure where that suggests he is getting "handled".

• BYU Papa Cedar Hills, ut
    March 4, 2013 12:44 a.m.

We live in Cedar Hills, These young men are great. I am very pleased to live in the City they represent. From now on I will not miss a game.

• Just my thoughts Davis County, UT
    March 3, 2013 11:30 p.m.

Lone Peak has had many championship teams, but this is the best one of all. It is a special team and they are fun to watch. One thing that gets overlooked is how well they play defense. And this defense fuels their offense.

Of the current crop of players, Eric Mika is the one that has potential to play for a living. He is the best big man in the state, college and high school. It will be interesting to see if the current Lone Peak BYU recruits can play this same game in college. I may be wrong, but I have my doubts. The recent high-level players from Timpview, Provo and Lone Peak have been decent to average players at BYU. Tyler Haws was a dominant high school player that now seems to be handled by decent college teams. What I can't decide is if this is due to BYU's reckless style of play where it seems the first guy to touch the ball will shoot or if opposing players have just caught up to him.

Regardless, this Lone Peak team deserves all the praise they are receiving. Nice job fellas.

• LP suppporter Lehi, Utah
    March 3, 2013 11:23 p.m.

RE: I agree with your comments up to a point, Drury and Morrill played in 68-70 and one problem they got beat by Orem in the old arena at BYU , Orem had Stout, Chessman, McCandless, Petersen, and Christensen (former CEO of Energy Solutions.) 4 of those guys played D1 basketball or had offers at at Cal, Montana, and BYU. Law, Vroman, Nielson,etc.. played in 1973. They beat Orem 3 times by one point, including the state championship game. 4 players from Orem on the 73 team played college ball at BYU, Weber and SUSC. Both teams were very, very good, but LP is better. Why? Speed and quickness. Provo and Orem were slow down and methodical. They just did not get up and down the court like LP. LP also has a better awareness or court sense. Maybe it is because they have played so many games together. Many of the players at Orem and Provo played 2 or 3 sports so they did not play as much together. We will never know who is better obviously, but many of us who have seen them play believe LP was better.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 3, 2013 8:23 p.m.

They are a great team but it could be arguable that teams of the past have had equal talent. This is to be determined. The teams Jim Spencer had in the early 1970's were very talented and include names like Vance Law (professional baseball), Gifford Nielsen (professional football), Craig Drury (their current legendary coach), Stew Morrill (the current head coach at Utah State) and Brett Vroman (professional basketball). In the mid 1970's Provo took state with Devin Durrant who played several years in the pros and was a first-team All-American and first round draft pick. Whether any of these players reach this level is actually very debatable. In fact, I would be surprised if any of them actually had any staying power in the NBA. I do think one of them will get a shot in the NBA, I have no idea which one. So what I'm saying is big props to Coach Lewis for cultivating great talent into a national title, a lesser coach would not do this.

What I am also saying is that Lone Peak has no inherent advantages over other large schools in 5A. Davis, for example, is not devoid of athletes.

• Davis Kaysville, UT
    March 3, 2013 5:46 p.m.

Best team ever. I have seen teams in the past where they had no 3 point line that would given lone peak a good game.So you cant compare this team with teams in the past.

• Unbelievable West Jordan, Utah
    March 3, 2013 4:59 p.m.

A few observations from this years 4A - 5A prep basketball tournaments:

Sky View's Jalen Moore is a really good basketball player, but seems to be even a better person. ---Region 2 truly was over rated (again). ---The UHSAA needs to follow Colorado's lead and begin seeding their tournaments (how exciting would that be!). ---The UHSAA needs to explore, no get, a 35 second shot clock. ---Brighton players really do care, I seen it with my own eyes, as the whole team appeared visibly upset with their loss to Lone Peak, or because their stall tactics failed, miserablly. ---TJ Haws returns with the shot of accomplishing something truly unbelieveable/astonishing, a fourth Utah 5A title. ---Talon Shumway is a baller on both ends of the floor, my 5A MVP. ---The 5A tourny missed the Riverton Silverwolves growling around Ogden. ---The Olympus Titans will eventually win that coveted title, someday soon. ---4A north region is tough and very supportive of their teams.

Thanks to all the players, coaches, timers, scorers, referees, bands, cheerleaders, drill teams, and everyone else affiliated with this years tournaments, it'll remain etched in my minds eye well into the future.

• Lee Corso American Fork, UT
    March 3, 2013 5:01 p.m.

2nd best team in the state after the Jazz? :)

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    March 3, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Congrats to Lone Peak, they certainly had a magical season and no question they are loaded with talent to go along with great coaching under Coach Lewis.

Here is a trivia question I would be curious to know the answer to.

Which high school basketball coach has had the highest winning percentage that has NOT coached a single Division 1 basketball player while at that school?

Does anyone have any idea who that would be, and would that coach even be above .500?

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    March 3, 2013 4:15 p.m.

"Other schools have talent and resources somewhat similar to Lone Peak"

I challenge you to name one high school that has had anywhere close to the amount of D-1 players in basketball in the last 10 years that Lone Peak has had.

Good luck!

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 3, 2013 1:28 p.m.

I have been around high school athletics for four decades. Quincy Lewis CAN coach and would be successful anywhere he wanted to be. Other schools have talent and resources somewhat similar to Lone Peak in numbers of students and even affluence. But Lewis has taken his program to the next level and dominant level. My previous post was not in any way to demean his accomplishment but even Lewis might be embarrassed about the "small town" aspect of his program. This is a bit exaggerated.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 3, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Colorado reader- as mentioned, lots of kids are done with credits by the second semester of their senior year. My daughter, had no need to complete her senior year, so she went to college instead. She still went back and walked with her class, but that was just for family sake. I'm sure this young man would happily trade the grad. ceremony for the mission any day.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    March 3, 2013 12:56 p.m.

I nominate Lone Peak basketball as sports story of the year. Exciting, best-in-class, and all good kids. It doesn't get much better than this story.

• lonepeakstudent Alpine, UT
    March 3, 2013 11:35 a.m.

He is graduating early.

• Speak English - USA West Jordan, UT
    March 3, 2013 11:12 a.m.

You can't be a great coach without having the best players. Lone Peak has been loaded with D-1 talent over the years. Being a great coach is more than winning state titles, it is about taking what you are dealt and making the most of that talent. While I realize that Coach Lewis is one of the best, there are others out there that are also excellent coaches that do not get the same talent but are still successful in building programs the right way. Sports are about life lessons as much as winning a basketball game. That being said, congrats to Lone Peak on a great season.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    March 3, 2013 11:02 a.m.

Just goes to show...white boys have game! Congrats to Lone Peak on their fantastic winning streak!

Keep it clean! Keep it gutsy! And keep it humble. Congrats!

• Cougar11 Highland, UT
    March 3, 2013 10:57 a.m.

To Colorado Reader:

Some athletes will take classes on-line to get ahead of the graduation date by one semester. This allows them to finish school early and enroll in college or in this case leave for a mission. There are other ways as well to get the necessary credits you need to graduate. Typically during kids senior years there are mostly only elective course credits left.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    March 3, 2013 10:52 a.m.

This would not have happened without a world class COACH. The guy is a treasure.

Congrats to all of them, enjoy your moment then start on the rest of your lives...

• parrothead orem, ut
    March 3, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Congrats to the Knights & Quincy Lewis on a great season ! @ Zed-Agreed Jim Spencer & Tim were very good coaches and I am sure have a great influence on Quincy. I am also sure that his mother Cheryl is a great influence in his life as she was to hundreds of students at Orem High in the Unified Studies program. Just a great teaching family !

• DonO Draper, UT
    March 3, 2013 10:40 a.m.

This is one of the best sports stories I've seen. Reporters usually build their articles around a central figure. Robinson successfully (and entertainingly) built his around a whole team. I've never seen the team play but after reading the piece feel like I know them. Thanks to the D News and Doug Eobinson.

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    March 3, 2013 10:36 a.m.

How can he leave on a mission May 1 if he is still in High School and they don't graduate until the end of May at the earliest??? Just curious…

• utahcougar provo, utah
    March 3, 2013 10:24 a.m.

Best team ever in the state of Utah! No discussion or debate needed...

• Zed Orem, UT
    March 3, 2013 10:12 a.m.

I would imagine the answer to your question is a lot. I played my sophomore year for Jim Spencer at Provo High, and then two years at Timpview for Coach Tim Lewis. They were without question, incredibly talented coaches. Probably two of the best coaches in the country at the prep level. Quincy was a little kid at the time and would come hang out in the gym during practice. He's been around basketball his entire life, and knows the Spencer/Lewiss philosophies inside and out. When I watch Lone Peak--particularly at the defensive side--I see Jim Spencer and Tim Lewis basketball. In fact, if there was another dynasty that could compare to this one, it would have to be Provo High in the 70's. I remember at one point they had some ridiculous record like 84-2 extending over multiple seasons. But back then, they had nowhere near as difficult a schedule as Lone Peak does now, with all of the interstate competition. These guys are just plain fantastic.

• AZCoug Mesa, AZ
    March 3, 2013 9:05 a.m.

I had Coach Lewis' dad Tim as my English Lit. teacher at Provo HS. He was, of course, the asst. to the late, great Jim Spencer at Provo for a number of years. I wonder how much of Jim Spencer's coaching philosophy has filtered down to Lone Peak's current program success.

• AzTim Gilbert, AZ
    March 3, 2013 8:51 a.m.

I live in Arizona. I've never seen these boys play and I don't know any of them personally. But gee wiz I am so proud of this team! The way they go about their business has brought such honor to themselves, their school, community, state, and, by natural extension, the Mormon Church. In June, 2011, the feature article in Newsweek magazine declared that year as the Mormon Moment, but it has been anything BUT a simple moment in time. For better or for worse, the Mormon Moment has continued its march in the public eye with the likes Jon Huntsman, Mitt Romney, Harry Reid, Glen Beck, Jimmer, Jabari, Teo and now the golden boys of Lone Peak sweeping the imagination, and admiration, of the country, and even the world. Wow! It really is quite something to behold.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 3, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Congrats to Lone Peak and all the love and attention is deserved. But let's end the small town talk. Highland, Alpine and Cedar Hills are suburbia locked to a large urban core (The Wasatch Front)--this isn't like Delta, Utah. Decades ago you could call these places small towns or even non-existent. But the school itself is well over 2000 students and has the best collection of athletes across the board for its sports programs from affluent backgrounds that bring huge advantages (like for instance to raise money to go on all these out-of-state events). As one might see many of their players are sons of (relatively) famous athletes and names like Toolson and Haws should ring bells for many a casual fan. I write this not to detract from their accomplishments which are truly remarkable but this is not Hoosiers. Lone Peak has been the dominant basketball program in the state for the last decade. It is because it is the right combination of great athletes with a great coach. This juggernaut should continue for years as long as Lewis wants to stay. Again, great job Knights and Coach Lewis!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    March 3, 2013 6:54 a.m.

We watched the final two two games. Spectacular is the word! Better yet is the tribute all of these young men are in their character, values, and morals. What a proud statement and role model they are for young men all over this country. Congratulations to them, their coach, and their parents for living such exemplary lives and taking basketball in high school to the next level.You will undoubtedly take all this experience and succeed in whatever you pursue!

We can't wait to see some of you in Brigham Young University uniforms. Good luck on the basketball floor and in the mission field!

Go Cougars!

March 3, 2013 12:49 a.m.

I have to admit it was great fun watching them play and I can't wait to have more fun watching them play for BYU in a few years!

It will be interesting to see if Lone Peak can continue to do as well.