Sports

BYU football: Mendenhall names Anae assistant head coach, Howell new defensive coordinator

Comments

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 3, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Down under:

"...the PAC 10.2 has finally come to their senses and is asking Utah to leave the conference and thet U will be back in the WAC?"

I have to laugh at the number of Y fans that would suggest Utah will be a better fit for the WAC. Because WE'RE not the ones who left the MWC to align ourselves with that league. That was YOUR boys. How frantic and emotional of you all.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 3, 2013 7:02 p.m.

Sandyclaws:

"You continually rag on the WAC and BYU's schedule when in reality the Utes would have finished in the bottom half of that conference last year."

In "reality"??? I think what you meant to say, "in a WACistani fantasy". Losing to the eventual WAC champion - in OT - does not support your frantic and emotional claim. And the only way to compare our schedules is by actual rated SOS. And in EVERY case, Utah's SOS was far greater than every other school in both the state of Utah, and the entire WAC and Mtn. West conferences.

• Sandyclaws Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2013 10:42 a.m.

@Chris and NV

You continually rag on the WAC and BYU's schedule when in reality the Utes would have finished in the bottom half of that conference last year. As for the comparative schedules; 4 of BYU's 5 losses were to Top 25 teams, while 5 of Utah's 7 losses were to unranked teams. Sounds pretty WACish to me.

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    March 2, 2013 9:19 a.m.

@backpacn,

Fair enough. Those are some great examples, some of which have been significantly more successful than others. What I'd like to hear about Coach Howell is what he actually is doing from a football perspective. What he did for the secondary and special teams while he was coaching them. I would really like to see a story from the DesNews on this, because I'm not seeing the improvement. Unless he taught Riley S how to drop punts inside the 10.

Again, everything I've heard so far sounds he's a great guy. I sounds like he would make an awesome EFY counselor or Y-group leader. I'm fully ready to believe that his football coaching skills are equally formidable. But with all the talk about how Doman was out of his depth at OC, I'd like some assurance that Coach Howell is not 10 feet underwater. Or that Coach Mendenhall has a plan for helping Howell progress.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    March 2, 2013 8:53 a.m.

I remember reading that same article about Doman in which he said he would have been fine with resuming his role as QB coach, and that it wasn't as "mutual" as Bronco said it was. I'm not sure if it was in that same article or a different one where I heard (if I can remember correctly) that Doman is taking a step away from football to go into business with his brothers. Re-reading this post, I bet this doesn't sound very convincing at all.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    March 2, 2013 8:26 a.m.

@Down under "Yes WAC footbal is dead, just the the Utah program. Can't you see it would be a good fit?"

Working through your spelling and grammatical errors, I believe you meant to say "WAC football is dead, just like the Utah program"

Down, it must be tough for you that your Cougars can't beat the "dead" Utah football program.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    March 2, 2013 8:17 a.m.

"Mendenhall will continue to call defensive plays and assist Howell in coordinating the defense"

Sounds like co-defensive coordinators to me. It's time for all of you BYU fans that mocked the co-offensive coordinator situation at Utah to eat crow.

Fess up, especially you Duck, all I remember you saying (about 100 times) is, "this is funny stuff". How funny is it now?

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:02 p.m.

I am also wondering what happened to Coach Doman. I read about an interview he was said to have had with a sports broadcaster in SLC, where he indicated that he would have been willing to stay on as QB coach. Did he let Bronco know that, was he offerred anything in the athletic department, coaching or otherwise, or just let go? Does anyone know where he went or what he is doing? What about the other 2 coaches?

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 5:45 p.m.

Levin

"OK, now it's time to hear who this Nick Howell is... As far as I can tell, the dude has never played a down of football at any level."

BYU alum and Washington State head coach Mike Leach never played a down of college football either, but neither did any of these other college football head coaches, Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, David Cutcliffe at Duke, George O'Leary at UCF, Bobby Hauck at UNLV, Charlie Weis at Kansas, or Chip Kelly at Oregon.

Coaching requires an entirely different skill set than playing. Whether you gain your knowledge on or off the field doesn't matter, as long as you can effectively teach someone else what you know.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    March 1, 2013 5:45 p.m.

So Bronco likes the assistant HC idea. I thought after Reynolds left it would become obsolete.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    March 1, 2013 5:36 p.m.

Naval Lint,

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    March 1, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Cougar fan here. Love Chris B ! He knows how to get people's blood pressure goin'...

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    March 1, 2013 5:02 p.m.

OK, now it's time to hear who this Nick Howell is, and what qualifies him to be the defensive coordinator at a Division I football program. He's been on the staff for a few years, and basically all I've heard about him is "the kids love him". As far as I can tell, the dude has never played a down of football at any level.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Chris B must have delusions of gaining redemption since the Utes were winless in the WAC last year.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 1, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Maybe navel lint and christina should get together and compare notes because they both appear be a little clueless.

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 4:03 p.m.

No mention of the other 'Offensive Coach' still in the program...Brandon Doman. Anyone remember him? What's his new title? Big mystery.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    March 1, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Have they ever said what is happening to Doman?

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 3:15 p.m.

I really am shocked that Chris B does know that there is no WAC football anymore. Done finished. Also, Utah and BYU has not been in the WAC for years. But both did play WAC teams in its final year of football.

Perhaps in his attempt to comment negatively on BYU football he overlooked the obvious.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    March 1, 2013 3:15 p.m.

@aceroinox

...no I guess I wouldn't know because I could care less about Utah football or Utah sports. I enjoy BYU sports and all that BYU stands for, therefore I read about and follow them. I don't really have time to just hate on other programs. My buddy Chris seems to have all sorts of time.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 1, 2013 3:02 p.m.

Down under:

"...U will be back in the WAC? That would be a great move for U. You might be in the middle of the pack."

What a frantic and emotional thing to say. WAC football dead. The survivors jumped up to the MWC. Do you remember the MWC? That was league where Utah exited at 10-3 and in 2nd place behind BCS-bowl bound TCU. That was also the league where the Indy-WACers departed after a 7-6 record...

...and "middle of the pack" finish.

Seeing as how you hadn't been able to beat your big brother since your unnoteworthy MWC swan song flop, you should be shying away from any hypocritical "middle of the pack" talk.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:58 p.m.

@Max-was-right
    They were going to do a story on the ute coaching changes and put a picture of Whittingham in the utes bowl game but for some reason they couldnt find that picture.

----------
    They were trying to find in the archives a picture of Bronco just after beating Utah, but the archives don't go back that far.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 1, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Duckhunter:

When Erickson was announced as the co-Offensive Coordinator at Utah, you said:

"LOL!...at the 'co-offensive coordinator' title. Seriously? whittingham looks foolish anywy [sic] from the bj promotion does he really think anyone is fooled by leaving him as the 'co'?...Good grief this is funny stuff...LOL!"

But on an article about Howell being named the new defensive coordinator, while ALSO stating, "Mendenhall will continue to call defensive plays and assist Howell in coordinating the defense," you didn't giggle about Mendenmidmajor creating a co-coordinator in his own right. What happened with that? If you don't "LOL" about that, you'll come across as very hypocritical.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Can't wait. Best staff changes in the country. This will be the right combo for a BCS season!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:33 p.m.

BYU_Aggie

Bronco has said from the beginning that he didn't intend to remain BYU's head football coach until he retired. My guess is he'll coach a couple more years and then consider stepping down after a nice even 10 years at the helm.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that was Anae's main motivation in returning to BYU, to take over the reins when Bronco steps down.

I admire what Bronco has accomplished both on and off the field at BYU and would hate to see him leave, but Bronco has always marched to the beat of his own drummer.

That's not to say he won't be around for another five years, but I wouldn't count on it.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:21 p.m.

@Runner: Didn't you know? Chris B posts all the time on Ute stories...he just does it under a different userID (wouldn't want the left hand to know what the right hand is doing).

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 1, 2013 2:16 p.m.

MyPerspective

It's only strange to you because you don't understand the importance of loyalty in the college coaching fraternity.

• BYU_Aggie LOGAN, UT
    March 1, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Anyone else think that this means Bronco is planning on leaving after this season? I would hate to see him go, but he's indicated in the past that he doesn't plan on staying at BYU forever.

• Fashion Police Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 1, 2013 1:34 p.m.

JakeDSnake90

You're not understanding the true nature of Chris B.

Like a significant minority of "Utah fans," they're BYU haters first; Utah fans second.

They'd much rather see BYU lose, than watch Utah win.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 1:18 p.m.

"As I've stated previously, Robert is an extremely intelligent man of great personal integrity who is totally loyal to me and our program,"

Does anyone else find this comment intriguing? I think Mendenhall inadvertently let his guard down a bit when he stated that Anae is "totally loyal to me." I have long believed that with Mendenhall, loyalty to him is what matters most. Interesting choice of words. It certainly gives the casual reader a glimpse into strange world in which Mendenhall lives.

• JakeDSnake90 Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Chris B.

I really hate when BYU and Utah fans get in unnecessary debates about simple things, and i'm not here to hate on you or the utes, honestly. All i want to know is why you always take such interest in BYU articles...i'm sure there is a BYU fan just like you that does the same thing on Ute articles. but is it that important? come on be the bigger man

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    March 1, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Chris B.

You crack me up. I'd love to sit down and talk football and politics with you. We'd kill each other over football and agree and shake hands over our politics discussion.

May I just say, maybe every once in a while you could post something on a Utah article. Then again, there are so few of those, I mean who really cares, that I guess they are hard to find.

Keep posting my friend...keep posting.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:36 p.m.

Great moves by Bronco. I'm excited for spring ball.

Go Cougars!

• Down under Pullman, WA
    March 1, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Chris B

Salt Lake City, UT

Watch out WAC here we come!
    Crissy, you mean that the PAC 10.2 has finally come to their senses and is asking Utah to leave the conference and thet U will be back in the WAC? That would be a great move for U. You might be in the middle of the pack.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:03 p.m.

• SoUtBoy25 Cedar City, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:01 p.m.

@Chris B

So you are saying the Cougars will finally beat Utah in 2013! I knew you would come around.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 1, 2013 11:42 a.m.

I like the new staff organization Bronco has established and look forward to a great season in 2013.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2013 11:39 a.m.

You mean Bronco has actually decided special teams are not a big joke and has actually assigned a paid staffer to coach it? Mind blown.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Watch out WAC here we come!