Opinion

In our opinion: One day isn't adequate to honor presidency, what it has meant to the cause of liberty

Comments

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Some of these "civil" comments remind me of the time some years ago, when some people ran the flag upside down to show "distress" over the then current US policies. My high school history teacher told us that George Durrant- author of The Story Of Civilization series - remarked he only felt comfortable in appraising history down to the time of Napoleon. Well, I think Presidents Washington and Lincoln would be happy if they knew we were trying our best to make this a good and great country. History will judge us down the road.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Well "patriot" we were talking about Presidents Day the day we honor presidents. Not American History day. Sorry to see that you are not an American, though. I do not know what country you believe you are a patriot of. Because it is not this one. The one I love, America. President Obama is the president of this country, and he is the president of all Americans. He is our president. It matters not if you like him or not. He was elected by the process laid out in our Constitution. And I happen to think our Constitution is a document created by a group of extraordinary men. Sorry that you don't feel the same way. Apparently you only like the Constitution when you get your way. Sad.

Also, its truly amazing your lack of understanding of history and the Constitution. Your claim that President Obama has pushed outside the bounds of the Constitutuion more then any other president is absolutely a mind boggling fallacy.

You ask what have we been talking about the last four years? Some of us have been talking about reality. Others have been talking juvenile talk radio conspiracy hate theories.

Good day.

• Swiss Price, Utah
    Feb. 19, 2013 10:11 p.m.

Amen.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 3:07 p.m.

re:JoeBlow

"Ok Mike. Simple question. Can you list one or two of the most recent presidents that have lived up to your idea?"

Every president from Washington to Bush II never openly attempted to by-pass and violate the constitution as aggressively and openly as Barack Hussin Obama has. I would ask YOU Joe to show me one president that has acted as Obama has in attacking the constitution. Go back in history and find any reference to a president that implies his contempt for the constitution - you won't find one. The ONLY president who is "known" for his constitutional contempt by both words and deeds is Obama. Good grief what have we been talking about over the past 4 years if not the contempt this man has for the constitution from using never before used procedures to ram through Obamacare to the fact the fact that every time you turn around the man is attempting to by-pass congress and do an end run with some "executive order". Barack Obama HATES the US constitution and sees it as a limit to his desire to dictate with no checks or balances.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 2:55 p.m.

re:Open Minded Mormon

Oh geez - I didn't say ANYTHING about George Washington did I. As I clearly stated the time frame I am honoring is 1776 - 2008. This time frame STARTS with the signing of the Declaration of Independence (not the inauguration of George Washington)and is inclusive though 2008 which EXCLUDES everything after Barack Obama took office. On Presidents Day we honor NOT ONLY presidents but we also honor American history. So ONCE AGAIN I refuse to raise the flag on presidents day because by doing so it would imply I am also honoring our current president and his toxic socialist polices WHICH I DO NOT. I suspect (and I hope) that I can once again raise my flag in 2017 after Obama is gone and we elect someone who truly reflects America and its values.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 19, 2013 2:31 p.m.

@patriot
    Cedar Hills, UT

I guess I could put a little sign next to the flag stating (1776 - 2008).

12:02 p.m. Feb. 19, 2013

==========

George Washington was elected President in 1788, and took the oath of office April 30, 1789.

But don't let not knowing actual history and being wrong by almost 13 years get down "patriot".

However - getting something that easy so horribly wrong really shakes my confidence and questions your credibility with any other opinions you've formed and shared regarding our current President of the United States.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 1:09 p.m.

re:mark

Perhaps Mark you ought to pull out the old history book and discover when the Declaration of Independence was signed and what year we celebrate our Independence from Great Britain.... it was 1776 Mark. So when I give the time period of 1776-2008 I am inclusive of honoring everything that transpired during that time frame which starts with the signing of the Declaration of Independence and covers everything prior to (but NOT including) your beloved socialist leader Barack Obama coming to power. Understand ? My point about NOT raising my flag on presidents day is simply stating I do NOT want to give any impression that I honor the current president (because the man has no honor). Understand that I do include Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter in my honor America time frame because they at least were patriots of this country unlike the current White House resident. Hopefully that clears up your confusion.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 12:29 p.m.

ordinarily my wife and I post our American flag in the front yard for Presidents Day...but not this year. Posting the American Flag this year would imply that I honor and support our current president as well... which I DO NOT!! I guess I could put a little sign next to the flag stating (1776 - 2008).

Conservatives have become such a sad group. And as usual clueless on history. Patriot (you would think someone that named themselves this would know American history) who was president in 1776?

So sad.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 12:02 p.m.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 19, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Leave it to Mike Richrds as someone to take President's Day and use it to trash talk the President.

[One can only hope that the Secret Service and Bush's Department of Home Land Security are keepin a close eye on you Mike]

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 5:06 a.m.

To mohokat 7:08 p.m. Feb. 18, 2013

Furry 1993 You have learned well from your leader. Blame someone else. Why don't you try defending Obama instead of looking for someone else to blame Obama's failures on. Couse you know that will not work. Liberals favorite mantra Bush did it.You guys sound like a stuck record.

--------------------

In case you missed the numerous times I have said it in the past, I will say it again. I am NOT an Obama supporter, nor am I a "liberal." I am a truly conservative (not a radical far right fringe-dwelling extremist) Republican, who supported Jon Huntsman, Jr., and voted for him as a write-in candidate in the last election.

Why do I criticize GWBush? Because his actions deserve it. A rational evaluation of the FACTS require it. President Cheney and King George are the one who caused the problems we face now. They are the ones who put the economy down the toilet, and we're still paying for that. You, and others of your mindset, are the one who sounds like a stuck record -- blame Obama for everything regardless who caused the problem.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 7:08 p.m.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 1:23 p.m.

To mohokat 9:02 a.m. Feb. 18, 2013

I have great respect for the office. I have no repect for the occupant. ie "The office is a lonely perch that reveals the character, core beliefs and passions of its occupant" But we knew that before he was elected.

----------------

What an excellent comment about George Walker Bush. We're still paying for King George's perfidity.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Feb. 18, 2013 12:37 p.m.

I predict Obama will go down in history as one of the great presidents. He rescued the nation from a cabal of men who attacked and tortured a small country based on lies in order to enrich their Big Oil friends. Obama brought confidence back to the American economy after his predecessor presided over the worst economic collapse in 75 years while that president's regulators looked the other way. Today we are growing more confident, less warlike, and finally doing something about education and the environment. And my 401K is back! I thank heaven for Barack Obama.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 18, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Mike Richards writes

"If he stays within the limits authorized by the people through the Constitution, then he deserves respect. If he violates that oath or if he violates the trust of the people, then he does not deserve respect, but he deserves contempt, just as we would show contempt to any person who violates our trust."

If not, your criticism of Obama is just a partisan rant.

Just a couple of names please.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:42 a.m.

A great article. We should all remember that being President of the US is one of the most difficult jobs on the planet.

As I age, I find ever more to admire about Washington and Lincoln. They deserve a little admiration.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Ah, yes. One more opportunity for the hate radio fans to bash Obama.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:02 a.m.

• KDave Moab, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 8:42 a.m.

The "holiday" really only applies to the elitists (govt. employees) . The rest of us still have to work to pay for their day off.

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 8:12 a.m.

There is one thing for which we should be thankful: Every president we have ever had, from the best to the worst, has wanted what was best for America.

• wjalden Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 6:15 a.m.

"Then the meaning of the day was expanded to include all presidents in general."

No, it wasn't expanded to include all presidents, at least not legally. The official federal holiday is still Washington's Birthday. The official name of the holiday in the vast majority of states, including Utah, is still Washington's Birthday, or some variation thereof, sometimes including a local favorite like Lincoln or Jefferson. At some point a few governors issued proclamations honoring all presidents, but there is scant legal recognition for the term "Presidents' Day," which largely has been foisted on us by advertisers because, I suppose, it's so much easier to sell mattresses using a name like Presidents' Day.

One wonders what authority this paper has when it can't even get right the basic facts of a simple holiday, and doesn't even attempt to.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 18, 2013 1:29 a.m.

The office of president is an awesome responsibility. He is responsible to the citizens to execute the laws passed by Congress and to represent the States to all the world. How does he do that? It's simple. He remembers that he was elected to represent the States. He remembers that his authorized duties are clearly enumerated in the Constitution and that any powers he has are derived from the citizens. He remembers that he has sworn an oath to God and to the people to "preserve, protect and defend" the Constitution of the United States.

History will not be kind to Mr. Obama. He cannot cover up his disrespect for the Constitution nor for his effort to divide America into "classes".

There is no excuse for any President to thumb his nose at the people and at the Constitution.