U.S. & World

Vatican: Benedict XVI too weary at his age to remain pope

Comments

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 6:00 p.m.

Though I am LDS, I am also a practicing Catholic, and have appreciated the Papacy my entire life. I wish Benedict well in his retirement.

Some of us are old enough that we have "joint membership" in both the Catholic Church and the LDS Church. Back then, you were not required to abandon your other Church membership to join the LDS Church. Today, it is required, but that was not the policy for most of LDS Church history.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 2:28 p.m.

He will be the first Pope in 600 years to write his own memoires about being a Pope while he is still living and doing research in Germany.

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Feb. 11, 2013 5:34 p.m.

I was never Catholic, but I have always respected Popes as good people, servants of God, and my brothers in Christian fellowship. The Catholic Church is an important institution in an increasingy secular world and needs strong, inspired leadership. I will remember Pope Benedict in my prayers, along with those who will choose his successor. May they have wisdom and be guided by the Spirit to do what is best for their church.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    Feb. 11, 2013 5:01 p.m.

I have great respect for the Pope and for my Catholic brothers and sisters throughout the world. This is a very momentous and sacred time for the Catholic world. You have my best wishes as you await the announcement of your new spiritual leader.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 11, 2013 4:20 p.m.

Wow this may be one of the few times people on the DN comments will actually agree with Chris B. (The part that "Pope Benedict seemed like a geniunely good man" not the inactive part). I too agree that he seems like a good man.

Wish the Pope the best and also the Catholic Church in picking a new Pope.

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2013 1:28 p.m.

We all become old, frail, and unable to serve in ways we once did. A graceful exit moved by the spirit, after a lifetime of service seems like a good way to go for both the pope and the church he served.

• SL Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 11, 2013 12:41 p.m.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye. Being old and frail is just part of being in a lifelong office.

• Jim Mesa, Az
    Feb. 11, 2013 12:36 p.m.

He is a good man I wish him well. What does a retired Pope do?

• germanygator Apo, AE
    Feb. 11, 2013 12:09 p.m.

I know that it is a tradition for Catholics to give up something for Lent, but wow! What a shocker.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Best wishes to Pope Benedict. He could be an "emeritus Pope" and then the Church would have his wisdom to call on.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Feb. 11, 2013 11:54 a.m.

Yes, he does seem to be a good man. I wish him the very best!

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Feb. 11, 2013 11:06 a.m.

In the telecast of his celebration of Christmas mass a few weeks ago, he looked so frail being helped up the stairs to the altar with a man on each arm. Stepping down now is a good decision for him and the Church.

• bigredone Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Stunning news.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Though technically Catholic, I consider myself "completely inactive"

However, Pope Benedict seemed like a geniunely good man.