Opinion

Letter: Bad air hurts Utah's economy and property values

Comments

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Well that's interesting jsf, you get your nose all out of joint about someone making assumptions about you, but you make huge assumptions in your first post about Martek Global Services. You have no clue what steps they have taken to limit their carbon footprint. One word for that is hypocrite.

• BRM Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Feb. 12, 2013 12:04 p.m.

The main thing to remember is that none of your tactics will work. If people stay home from work they will drive somewhere else.

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    Feb. 12, 2013 10:41 a.m.

It is seriously hurting the economy. A few years ago I came to Utah because my parents move there. I was heavily recruited by a firm. They are desperate to get people in my field with average salaries in the 6 figures. But you have to have the equivalent of a Ph.D. to qualify. Bottom line there are about 30 openings for every applicant nationwide. I didn't take the job and since then have been turned off by continued efforts to try to lure me to Utah. The air pollution is a major contributing factor in my decision, perhaps the major contributing factor. I have asthma and can't handle the bad days there. The company still has not filled the position well and it's been some years now.

How many others are like me? Sure you can get a Chicago-ite and an LA-ite to come in. They are used to it.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 10:46 p.m.

**'Study says coal burning in Utah kills 202 a year' - AP - Published by DSNews – 10/19/10

Remember...

it's mostly fog.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Hugger kudos on the hydro - remember to get your FERC permits and license, and The Army Corp. of Engineers approvals for stream bed alteraqtions, and the water share owners for diversion of their water.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 6:31 p.m.

"I drive a Mercedes Benz, diesel, on free used vegetable oil" This is as high a polluter as any oil burner out there. See the German studies of how bad burning vegetable oil is on pollution.

"My LDS Stake Center is 100% Green, Solar powered." Not your doing, don't try to take credit.

"I SERIOUSLY doubt it, jsf." Given you know nothing about me, I also have a super insulated home we built. Incorporated many energy saving components of a double walled solar home. So don't get so high and mighty. Claiming your carbon foot print is 10% of mine. Really, how bogus can it get.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 3:27 p.m.

Repubs don't care. Clean air is just another liberal agenda item seeking to destroy freedom, liberty and ummmm freedom.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 1:00 p.m.

@Baron Scarpia

I have one word and one number to use as a counterargument... Beijing 2008.

@Miss Piggie
    "That 'bad air' you see our there is mostly moisture in the are, commonly called 'fog.'"

And the 2-4x national air quality standard PM2.5 concentrations are?

• LDS Tree-Hugger Farmington, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 12:29 p.m.

jsf
    Centerville, UT
    "don't pollute the air. What kind of Mormon are you?"

Apparently as good as you as you drive, power your home, and continue to pollute.

11:17 a.m. Feb. 11, 2013

=============

I SERIOUSLY doubt it, jsf.

I drive a Mercedes Benz, diesel, on free used vegatble oil from local resturants and get over 40+ mpg.
    I have super-insulated our house, installed a geo-thermal heat pump, solar panels and wind turbine.
    [Presently working on installing hydro-electric].
    100% of our lights are CFL and LED, have been for years.
    My family has been recycling for over 28 years.

My carbon foot-print is 10% as much as yours.
    Meaning - a full 90% reduction in pollutants, or able to support 10times as many Utahns (30 Million) at our current burn levels.
    [That would support our current standard of living with future population growth, at current consumption rate for the next 180 years].

FYI - My LDS Stake Center is 100% Green, Solar powered.

Those who do not change, improve, progess, or perfect will perish.
    It's an eternal principle.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2013 12:15 p.m.

Irony of the Week: Why don't conservatives have any interest in conserving? Drill it, burn it, choke on it--as long as the big boys can make a buck off of it. That's the GOP way.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 12:09 p.m.

To those of you who are accusing the proactive, conservation-minded individuals here of being hypocrites because they haven't adopted a completely Luddite lifestyle:

I've turned down my thermostat, I'm using more ambient lighting instead of electric lights in my home and office, and I recently joined a van-pool rather than driving my vehicle to work solo. The slogan used by the "Slow the Flow" campaign in the summertime, "Remember, if we each save a little, we'll all save a lot" applies just as much to breathable air as it does to water.

So . . . what are YOU doing to contribute more to the solution, and less to the problem??

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 11:17 a.m.

"don't pollute the air. What kind of Mormon are you?"

• LDS Tree-Hugger Farmington, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 10:43 a.m.

The Letter of the law Mormon believes - tobacco is bad for the body, one should not smoke.

The Spirit of the law Mormon believes - pollution, is just as bad for the body as tobacco is - even worse - and directly effects 100,000 more people, don't pollute the air.

What kind of Mormon are you?

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 9:17 a.m.

Miss Piggie,

And raw sewage is mostly liquid water. Your point?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 8:31 a.m.

wrz -- the suggestion that people stop living is silly. We are all stuck with the technology now available. We have to live with it. We cannot simply stop driving or using electricity or fuels.

The anti-environment cry of "Stop driving" is just plain dumb.

What might happen if all of us pitched in a started looking cooperatively for good solutions instead of attacking one another?

If we refuse to seek good solutions, we'll never find them.

• wrz Ogden, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 12:13 a.m.

@Pagan: "I am not the one contributing the greatest amount to the poor air quality in Utah."

If you drive a car, heat your house, buy stuff such as groceries, clothes, supplies... you are a contributor... one of many.

"Blaming the victims of air pollution, based on zero evidence no less..."

How do you get to and from your place of employment and heat your house? Or do you walk to work and sit home in a dark, cold house?

You need to stop blaming businesses for all the pollution.

"...makes you look like a bully."

Makes you look uninformed.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 8:43 p.m.

You could help if you'd turn off everything you own that uses power. - wrz

**'EPA inventory shows Utah's sources of greenhouse gas' - By Amy Joi O'Donoghue - 02/05/13 - Published by the Deseret News

'WASHINGTON — The nation's power plants continue to be the single largest stationary source of greenhouse gas emissions, according to new information released Tuesday by the Environmental Protection Agency.'

I, am not the one contributing the greatest amount to the poor air quality in Utah.

Blaming the victims of air pollution, based on zero evidence no less, makes you look like a bully.

• wrz Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 2:51 p.m.

@Baron Scarpia: "The IOC will not allow the Games to be held in a state with one of the world's worst air sheds."

Not to worry... the winter Olympics takes place above the inversion... where the air is clear.

• wrz Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 2:48 p.m.

@Pagan: "At what point are human lives... going to be put over the needs of business?"

You could help if you'd turn off everything you own that uses power. Start with parking your car and either walking or riding a bike... Oh, and make sure your bike was manufactured by a firm that didn't use any power. I think you might find a remote shop in China that makes bikes with muscle power. Check the label.

• Miss Piggie Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 2:40 p.m.

Besides if you want all the power producing plants shut down, I might lose my job... and you might, too. So, stop sweating it.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 1:22 p.m.

What a great sacrifice for all of us, Martek Global Services Inc, will close their doors, shut off their lights and hide in their basements during the inversions. We thank you and all others willing to not blame and demand others take an economic hit during the inversions, but show they are leaders. Oh wait you didn't, you want others to make your air clean but you didn't. This is progressivizm at its best.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 6:34 a.m.

The legislature has already held hearings on the subject that bad air is hurting business development. One story reported in the Trib a few months ago was that a delegration of business representative came to Utah, but cut their visit short as they saw how bad the air was and decided it didn't need to tour the state regarding its "amenities" for their employees.

The other issue is that Utah's ability to host a future Olympics is not totally unobtainable. The IOC will not allow the Games to be held in a state with one of the world's worst air sheds.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2013 8:23 p.m.

**'Lung Association slams Utah areas for bad air' - By Amy Joi O'Donoghue - DSNews - 04/30/09

**'Study says coal burning in Utah kills 202 a year' - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/19/10

At what point are human lives...

going to be put over the needs of business?