U.S. & World

Boy Scouts delay decision on admitting gays, will prepare resolution for May vote

Comments

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 9:56 a.m.

There is a huge difference between someone who feels sexually attracted to the same gender, but doesn't participate in sexual activities and someone who is in an active sexual relationship with someone of the same gender.

Moral straightness is based on actions, not feelings. All morally straight leaders and scouts should be able to participate.

• Bay Area Dude San Ramon, CA
    Feb. 6, 2013 9:47 a.m.

You can be assured that with this extra time, all in the gay rights camp will redouble their lobbying efforts and then redouble them again to get into BSA ... just like they did with Prop 8. Prop 8 was (and is) a war of sentiment. There is a reason you still see all the Prop 8 signage and bumper stickers around town. That side of the "war" is very smart, organized, vocal, "connected" and persuasive.

There are many shades of "gay" and I admit many are excellent, wonderful people. While I personally can dismiss the "extra long hugs" and "excessive friendly touching" I'm not sure an 11-15 year old trying to fit in with boys and leaders can do the same. That said, as for my boys and my 25 years experience as a volunteer in BSA...if they allow chart org leaders to be gay---we will walk.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 9:16 a.m.

The most important issue here is Scout safety.

That is all we should be concerned about.

• Momof7 Colorado Springs, CO
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:57 a.m.

I know of some volunteers who were ready to quit depending on the vote. I think it was wise for them to wait and get more feedback not only from employees but also volunteers which make their organization function.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:50 a.m.

In other words, "What the heck were we thinking!?"

• Old Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:51 a.m.

No problem. I will delay my decision on donating to the BSA.

I will wait to see if you are an organization I can continue to support.