U.S. & World

Icelandic girl wins right to use her given name

Comments

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Feb. 1, 2013 12:17 p.m.

REF:
    Stephen Kent Ehat

Lindon, UT

"They've got nothing on us. Wait 'til we get Obamacare fully implemented."

Exactly what does this article have to do with healthcare in America? The article is about names given to children in Iceland. Please save political remarks for the appropriate articles.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Feb. 1, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I kind-of wish we had name regulation in the US.

Then we wouldn't be saddled with ridiculous inventions like:

Ladurious or Tanikwa,Flabazulu
    Ladashla Anfernee Chrisshonta LaDarius
    Rawanda, Jermaine, Jajuan, Daquan
    Anneliese, Brinleigh Brielle, Dreanessa, McKyndree, Taelorre, Tazmin
    Aybraeham, LaVeryl, LaShal, LaMeryl

(Yes, this is a mix of black and white).

And my favorite: Le-a is pronounced Ledasha in TX. (Because the "-" is not silent.)

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 7:16 a.m.

For some reason there is a desire in some to control.other people. Why.doesn're everyone just mind their own business. To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, that which neither picks my pocket not beaks my leg is not my business.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Nuts...gotta love governments...do as I say...no freedom. Just like U.S. Homeowner associations...do as I say...no freedom.

• Shuzzie53 HAYWARD, CA
    Jan. 31, 2013 3:57 p.m.

There should be a law against some of these goofy Utah girl names.

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Like the article said, they are not the only country. When I lived in France many decades ago, a couple we knew there named their girl Cindy. The local names council rejected the name as too American.

• Thinkin\' Man Rexburg, ID
    Jan. 31, 2013 11:14 a.m.

I find it deliciously ironic that a country with such unpronounceable names has a fit over a name like Blaer!

At the same time, perhaps the U.S. could use a Names Committee to stop the insanity of parents cursing their children with unspellable names.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Another useless government office. Do they limit the number of vowels or consonants in a name?

I think all governments need to understand that just because they exist does not mean they need to continue to make laws year after year. There are so many laws in each country I don't think anyone knows exactly how many there are. I was told there were 10,000 laws passed last year by our Useless Congress.

There probably ought to be a law that says if you introduce more than one bill per term you are automatically kicked out of your elected position.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 9:34 a.m.

Interesting strange law. I can see some guys shave (or carve) ICE on their head like the one in the movie Hocus Pokus.

• SillyRabbit Layton, 00
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Interesting story, at least. Demonstrative of slightly over-zealous laws, but then the Icelandic culture is likely very different than American culture. I wouldn't fault them for looking to maintain cultural separation considering the Danish rule from 1662-1944 and invasions from Britain and the USA in the 1940s during WWII.

On a separate note, my first daughter is due in 29 days and we've picked out the name Grace.

I bet these other possible, regressive spellings would get the banhammer from Iceland, but somehow are acceptable here:
    Grayce
    Greyse
    Gurace
    Gurehse

To people considering phonetic spellings when naming your child, your human child, please consult a linguist, at the very least.

• Stephen Kent Ehat Lindon, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:52 a.m.

"The Icelandic Naming Committee (Icelandic: Mannanafnanefnd) is a body established in 1991 that governs the introduction of new given names to the culture of Iceland: it determines whether a name that has not been used in the country before is suitable for integration into the Icelandic language. To be accepted, the name must only contain letters found in the Icelandic alphabet, and must be able to be declined according to grammatical case. The name is also considered for its compatibility with traditions, and whether it may cause the bearer embarrassment. The committee comprises three appointees who serve for four years, appointed by the Minister of Justice, one to be nominated by the Icelandic Language Committee, one by the Faculty of Philosophy of the University of Iceland and one by the Faculty of Law." (Wikipedia.)

They've got nothing on us. Wait 'til we get Obamacare fully implemented.

• Albert Saint George, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:45 a.m.

No "c" in their alphabet? I guess that's why they say "Bbrrrr" there instead of it's "C-c-c-cold outside"

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:00 a.m.

They ought to consider restrictions on the names allowed for active volcanoes.