Opinion

Dan Liljenquist: Swallow's behavior raises concerns about ethics

Comments

• Ross64 South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 3:06 p.m.

So is Dan itching to take the position? He jumped on the hate bandwagon with hopes of having someone in Utah remember him? I admit that it is easy to remember that Dan was absent from his duties most of the time he was in office. He collected money for a job he was not doing. I am sure that Disney cruise was nice, but it seems like the pot is calling the kettle black.

• cah orem, UT
    Jan. 27, 2013 8:47 p.m.

As a life long Republican I hope the party takes a very hard stand against this improper (if not illegal) behavior. I would not have believed men of good will could not see ahead of time how improper this behavior is.

• cavetroll SANDY, UT
    Jan. 26, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Liljenquist calling Swallow "unethical is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 26, 2013 7:22 a.m.

Twin Lights
    Louisville, KY
    SG in SLC,

I would love a share of that money.

What about if we add the phrase "you are wrong".

Then, there would be plenty for the both of us.

SG in SLC
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Y'know, if I had a dollar for every time RedShirt used the pejorative "your ilk" and John Charity Spring used the pejorative "left-wing extremists" to describe/pigeonhole those whose views differ from their own, I'd be a wealthy man . . .

=========

Don't forget --- "So what you are really saying is..."

I hate it when he pulls those 9th grade debate tricks...childish.
    He should have shared those pointers with Mitt Romney.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 25, 2013 10:04 p.m.

SG in SLC,

I would love a share of that money.

What about if we add the phrase "you are wrong".

Then, there would be plenty for the both of us.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2013 11:10 a.m.

@LDS Liberal,

You stated that you knew right from wrong at the age of 8, but you told us that the Deseret News, not you, had bad mouthed Swallow.

You wrote: "John Swallow should stop being a baby, and man up to what he's already admitted to as WRONG,".

Is that your comment or is that a comment from the Deseret News? They reported. You twisted words and then you told us that you knew the difference between right and wrong. Your right is wrong to those of us who know right from wrong.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Call4Moderation,
    Please quote back to me my exact words "bashing" John Swallow. You'll have to make something up because I haven't directly written anything about him.

My criticism of Redshirt extends far beyond this particular issue. In fact, I agreed with a large part of what he said in a comment here, I just questioned his motivations and implied that he is partisan in how he applies his logic.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 9:33 a.m.

mark
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "John Swallow is being crucified by the left. They're trying him in the press. They're implying things that he never said and that others never said; but, the left knows right from wrong, so they're going to go ahead and crucify him."

Richards, Dan Lilijenquist is hardly an operative of the "left", and the D-News is not even close to being a mouthpiece of the left.

=============

There's Left,
    There's Right.

Then there's uber-so-far-Right-wing we've-fallen-off-the-radar vs. everyone else.

Sad,
    The real irony of this whole discussion is that
    Mike Richards and RedShirt and the rest their "ilk"
    were once Dan Liljenquist's loudest GOP supporters.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 9:18 a.m.

""Has there been a trial? I'm surprised that Mr. Liljenquist would call for a verdict before a trial was held."

So, Richards, is that the advice you personally follow when it comes to criticism of liberals? Or is that just advise you feel should be followed when dealing with Republicans?

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 9:07 a.m.

"Why is it wrong to apply your standards equally to liberals and conservatives?"

It absolutely is not wrong to apply the same standards. I think what people are calling you out for, is that you seem the least likely to lecture others on the equal application of standards.

• Call4Moderation Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:36 a.m.

EMajor

Why do you get to sit here and bash conservatives, and John Swallow, but if Redshirt and the others defend John, that's somehow partisan? Seems like the pot calling the kettle a hypocrit.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 9:24 p.m.

SG in SLC,
    "if I had a dollar for every time RedShirt used the pejorative "your ilk""

I know, fatiguing isn't it? The strict definition of that word is neutral, but the understood connotation is intended to be insulting. Use of a thesaurus would at least prevent me from being bored while I was being insulted. Genre or strain or persuasion or even breed would be far more interesting choices.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Republicans don't need ethics, they have religion.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 5:38 p.m.

On-topic, if what Mr. Liljenquist wrote about AG John Swallow is true (and apparently, Mr. Swallow has admitted to those things), then his acts are not only unethical, but unconscionable for someone in his position of trust.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 5:00 p.m.

"John Swallow is being crucified by the left"

I didn't know Dan Liljenquist was part of the left. Here's a direct quote of his from this editorial:

"But I do know this: just because something might be technically legal does not make it ethical. I think Utah's top law enforcement official should be held to the highest of ethical standards. What do you think?"

So what do you think? It's not just a left wing conspiracy.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Jan. 24, 2013 4:57 p.m.

To "Emajor" I have to use partisian examples to show what equal application of what your ilk has stated should be done with Swallow.

If it is to apply to conservatives, your ilk should understand how the same standards would apply to their people.

Sorry if you don't like the examples or my methods, but they are valid and are completely ignored by liberals.

To "LDS Liberal" what have I defended. I have only asked if the liberals want their desires equally applied to the liberals in Washington. Apparently to you that is wrong. Why is it wrong to apply your standards equally to liberals and conservatives?

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2013 3:48 p.m.

LDS Liberal,

There is Legal and illegal,
    There is Right and there is wrong.

I don't really care if doing something "WRONG" is legal or not.

We all know Right from Wrong by age 8.

==========

Are you sure that you want to go there?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 2:57 p.m.

Swallow has stated publicly that he has broken no laws.

=============

There is Legal and illegal,
    There is Right and there is wrong.

I don't really care if doing something "WRONG" is legal or not.

We all know Right from Wrong by age 8.

and allow the LAW to investigate the legality of the rest of it.

Meanwhile, to the same Republican Party die-hards, Mike Richards and RedShirt.
    Why do you defend what is clearly wrong?

I say - let him stay in.
    And let him drag the Republican name and party through the ethical mud right along with him.

• AKracker Highland, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 2:39 p.m.

What about this is news? Nothing, this is merely a regurgitation for the Deseret to further drag Swallow through the mud. Was it just a slow news day or are the papers just takings directives directly from the democratic party I'm not sure?. Did Dan ever have a second job when you were an elected official?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 2:35 p.m.

Emajor, don't hold it personally.

Conservatives like to promote ideals and rhetoric upon others, but when they have to live up to their own standards?

Well, if I had a 10% approval rating at my job like the Republican House currently? I would have lost my job.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 2:15 p.m.

Redshirt,
    Frequently riding to the rescue under the guise of lofty ideals and impartial logic.

That you never require of conservatives.

You raise a valid point and I'd take your comment seriously if you weren't so completely partisan and selective your application of this logic both here and on other topics you have posted on.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Jan. 24, 2013 12:26 p.m.

Ok liberals, lets take what you are saying and apply it to all politicians.

Many of you say that he should step aside while the investigation goes on. Does this mean that Obama and Holder should have stepped aside while the investigation into Fast and Furious was going on? How about Clinton and Rice, should they have stepped aside and taken administrative leave until the Benghazi invistagion continues?

Others of you say that he should resign because what he did was ethically wrong, but legal. Should we have every member of Congress resign that engaged in insider trading prior to the 2012 law that made it illegal for members of Congress to engage in insider trading?

If you don't agree with the scenarios that I have described, then you are on a witch hunt and not looking to find the truth of the stuation.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Voting is a lot like Driving.

Don't do either, blind.

• Call4Moderation Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Ha. Criticism from a guy who used a guy in a chicken suite and debated a cardboard cut-out of his opponent a major parts of his campaign is hard to take serious. Especially when half of what he just said is wrong.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 11:11 a.m.

@Irony Guy
    As of now your correct that Mr. Liljenquist isn't a party shill. But that is purely because he wasn't elected. If he won the election he would be the same shill that most politicians turn out to be.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 10:48 a.m.

When a police officer is involved in any kind of incident, he or she is placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

Shouldn't that same thing apply to our top law enforcement officer?

Swallow, if he be an honest man who is truly innocent, should voluntarily stand aside until the investigation has been completed and its results (whatever they may be) have been published for all of us to read.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Mr. Swallow, resign. You are ethically impaired. Kudos to Dan Liljenquist, that rarest of birds, an honest politician unblinded by party loyalties. We lost out when he lost to Orrin Hatch, the Senator from Amgen.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Lance Armstrong admitted to breaking the rules of the game he was engaged in. His punishment seems to come from every quarter, including financial, fame and respect, membership, and whatever. The harm he did was mainly in the minds of his supporters and fans.

When a politician, businessman, doctor or such, breaks the rules of his profession, The harm might be viewed as many times the harm done by Lance Armstrong. Yet there is little recourse or punishment put upon the offender.

• mcjolley Pleasant grove, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 10:04 a.m.

@Mike

Mr. Liljenquist was clear that he was not commenting on any criminal activity and wanted to let investigators handle that. He's just commenting on what Swallow has admitted to already.

• cns St George, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Sad and scary
    Top law enforcement officials taking "consulting" fees
    Turning legal vs illegal on and off like a water tap by deciding how to enforce a law
    Four years with an AG with a large dark cloud over his head regarding his ethics and integrity

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 9:23 a.m.

Utah's elected officials could certainly use a lesson in ethics. Too bad that the citizen's initiative to impose ethics on them failed to garner enough signatures.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 8:39 a.m.

@Mike
    Considering that this is what Mr Swallow has admitted to. It's not being implied or anything like that. I would say it stinks like rotten brine shrimp on a hot summers day.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2013 8:38 a.m.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2013 5:32 a.m.

Does this smell very bad, or is this just a politically motivated witch hunt"? I guess we need to "follow the money".