U.S. & World

Big crowd, high spirits for 2nd Obama swearing-in

Comments

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 24, 2013 8:04 a.m.

Worf, at least you admit it, while others won't. However, I do take offense with you claiming 51 percent of the people, including myself, have somehow been fooled. This may not be the road you want, and while I don't agree with everything this president has done and will do, it is the road those of us who voted for him want to go down. I do not see this as a transformation; rather, it is an evolvement of our country. Not so long ago we had slavery, but our country evolved and got rid of it. Not so long ago women could not vote, but our country evolved and now lets them vote. I can guarantee you there were people back then saying our county was "transforming" for the worse.

As for the debt: I do believe we need to do something about the debt, but Obama is not and has not been the only one to raise it and not do anything about it. McCain's debt would have looked very similar.

Yes, I do want government-run healthcare. Just a difference of opinion. Does make your opinion right, and vice versa.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 22, 2013 2:04 p.m.

xscribe

I am a sore loser. It's difficult watching someone transform our country, and fooling the people into thinking something wonderful is happening.

People have often desired a smooth talking king, than lived to regret it. That's why over ninety percent of all people, through out history, have lived in poverty. The facts don't lie.

At one time, the people of Cuba, North Korea, etc chose their form of government just to end up in poverty. You don't see anything wrong with a seventeen trillion dollar deficit, or government run health care?

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 22, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Mark: "What is it with some people?"

Well, they say they are not sore losers, just not "adoring sheeple," yet feel the need to get on here a post negative comments. I'd say that's the very definition of a sore loser! Especially when one has to resort to the name calling!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:29 p.m.

Blue,

I hope you're right, but I know better, and history is on my side.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 4:38 p.m.

Mohokat,

I know the label "marxist" is a lot of fun for you guys to use, but the truth is there's ZERO reason to apply that term to President Obama. He's being a centrist, and he's dealing with real-world issues rationally.

How about you folks drop the silly name calling and instead pay attention to the real world for a change?

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 2:36 p.m.

A Marxist? Are you kidding me? Sheeple? Really? What is it with some people? Clearly this person does not have the first idea of what a Marxist is. It definitely is not what this president is. Not even close. And sheeple? Give me a break.

I am so glad that these people are becoming irrelevant.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 1:48 p.m.

@Irony Guy Followers of the meek and gentle Christ yes but not adoring sheeple following a Marxist. And how do you know how many folks are Mormon?

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 21, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Congratulations to President Obama for his dignified and inspiring inaugural. I am puzzled by the hatred and contempt heaped upon this President by my Mormon neighbors. Ironic for people who call themselves the followers of the meek and gentle Christ.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 12:18 p.m.

It's too bad Romney got the nomination in 2012.

HIs son later said Romney wanted to be president 'the least'.

I guess that was when Romney ran for President in 2012 and 2008?

I think a better candidate would have been Huntsman.

I would have voted for Huntsman.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 12:09 p.m.

To md 10:40 a.m. Jan. 21, 2013

. . . Well, I lived through Carter-- I guess I can live through this.

-----------------

You forget -- we also endured eight years of King George (GWBush) who was infinitely worse than Carter could have dreamed of being. Obama has done a lot to turn things around after King George -- hopefully he can continue to do so durig the next four years.

At least we're not stuck with Romney (too bad Huntsman was rejected; he would have been the best choice possible).

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 11:59 a.m.

As I was saying

"Yuck. King Hussein Obama got 4 more years."

"High spirits? I know I am. I am so exited for this I am going to clean my toilets while it is taking place."

I am so glad that it is seeming that people like this are becoming totally irrelevant politically.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 11:58 a.m.

Liberals did not vote Obama into office a 2nd time.

51% of America did.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 11:48 a.m.

"Our journey is not complete until we vote this president out of office. . . "

The Deuce, uh, we already had the election, and this president won't be able to. . . eh, you know something, never mind, didn't mean to disturb you.

"Yuck. King Hussein Obama got 4 more years."

I am so glad that it is seeming that

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 11:39 a.m.

@ xscribe No not losers. Just not adoring sheeple.

• Perfice South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 11:29 a.m.

Maybe some of you should follow the advise of you First Presidency ...

"We congratulate President Obama on winning a second term as President of the United States.

After a long campaign, this is now a time for Americans to come together. It is a long tradition among Latter-day Saints to pray for our national leaders in our personal prayers and in our congregations. We invite Americans everywhere, whatever their political persuasion, to pray for the President, for his administration and the new Congress as they lead us through difficult and turbulent times. May our national leaders reflect the best in wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the American people...."

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 21, 2013 11:09 a.m.

Can anyone say "sore losers"?

• md Cache, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 10:40 a.m.

Yuck. King Hussein Obama got 4 more years. Well, I lived through Carter-- I guess I can live through this.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 10:34 a.m.

As we actually owe about $70 trillion rather than $16 trillion I can't see that Tea Party desires to slow spending is out of order. I won't watch the inauguration of the worst president in our history. 4 more years of drudgery and maybe a severe depression. Can't have a budget never mind a balanced one, and 23 million unemployed. And al quaeda raising its ugly head in Mali.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Jan. 21, 2013 10:11 a.m.

Our journey is not complete until we vote this president out of office that has a 51% approval rating. In the real world, this president would not have a job based on this type of approval rating. I am still amazed that this country actually voted in a president with this type of approval rating. One day we will wake up and see what has happened and wonder why we let this happen.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Hopefully the President will get support for at least one day.

• Timothy Benton City, WA
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:53 a.m.

May our conservative friends get what they deserve and certainly have coming..To quote a Klingon scripture" Revenge is a dish best served cold".. Oddly enough, I do have some empathy for people that want to live in the past...However the world is changing and we must change with it or perish..That is not to say one must abandon hope and virtues that have served many so well..America is not a caucasian paradise anymore and I believe that is a good thing..I cannot remember how many times I have heard my white(of which I am one) friends inform me that they are self made and no one ever assisted them in their life struggles..I guess they forgot about their parents,teachers,schools,family, that have aided many of us in our daily struggles...Live on an island if you wish but I am going forward,with some hesitation,but forward nonetheless...I congratulate President Obama and wish him well..He is not all that I wish for in a leader but the Lord has allowed him this position of authority and I will respect that..

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:50 a.m.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:50 a.m.

worf: "May our liberal friends get what they voted for."

Thanks! I'm watching the inauguration on tv as I type this, and I've seldom felt more pride and confidence in my nation.

So grateful right now that the Tea Party, FOX, Citizens United, Karl Rove and the Koch brothers, in spite of their best efforts, failed last November.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:47 a.m.

It's nice to see the ceremony and the machinations of the process of democracy. Hopefully we don't get into the argument again about whether there are 50 or 600,000 people there to watch.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:37 a.m.

First four years was a cake walk.
    Wait till he's done with the next.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 21, 2013 9:27 a.m.

May our liberal friends get what they voted for.