Opinion

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Jan. 7, 2013 5:45 p.m.

Hunstman is nothing to Ron Paul or Gary Johnson

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Jan. 7, 2013 5:29 p.m.

Utahbluedevil

I don't know what most of your rant is about. I am not talking about party or left or right.

Jeremiah Wright preached many racist and anti-American sermons. I am surprised the president, especially being a man of mixed race, tolerated such sermons, but apparently he did. The president embraced this man as a personal model for himself asked him to perform his marriage and his children's baptisms. As a member of the church he undoubtedly donated as well.

I find this distressing.

I would walk out on any racist or anti-American sermon in any church and would disrupt such speech if it were in a public place. I would evict a person engaging in such things on my personal property.

As a nation, we have been trying to end racism for 50 years. Racists seek to divide and conquer. It is destructive. We need to unify, as Americans, instead of dividing into races and hating America.

To win election, Obama divided and conquered. Predictably, he did it very well. Can he unify the nation now? He hasn't in 4 years. Based on his choice of religious role model, not happening.

• bodgerdlue Kearns, UT
    Jan. 7, 2013 2:21 p.m.

I find it ironic that Mr. Huntsman is being called out on his religious devotion on the same day as another Op-Ed piece that defends former LDS Bishop Mike Crapo after his drunk driving arrest.

At what point do we stop worrying about the outward appearance and start paying more attention to a person's actual actions? Too many people are given a pass because they fit into our pre-defined boxes of what an LDS (or even Christian) person should look like and say while behind the scenes they break all sorts of commandments. At the same time, just because a person is not orthodox in their beliefs, it doesn't mean that they aren't living in conformance with the commandments.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 7, 2013 2:11 p.m.

"Try it with Obama, and you will see why liberals don't want anyone to consider religion."

Meaning what? I am not a liberal, but neither any of you RINO branding Republicans would consider a "True" conservative. The two Stake Presidents in our area are Democrats.... should I be turning them into the Salt Lake for review.... but then again, one of them was asked by the church to be a delegate to the Democrat National Convention... to represent the church, so I think they know.

Are you saying these two stake presidents should be deemed unworthy of elected office?

Somehow I think I am going to defer to higher judgement than yours Christian on this matter. I am thinking your analysis just might have been biased or flawed.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 7, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Huntsman had a high approval rating in office because the legislature kept him check and most people did not realize what a moonbean he was until after he left. He does not have a high rating any longer (except amongst the hard left who are eager to limit political choices to shades of left-wing - as evidenced by the posts on this thread).

He quit all of his last few jobs. Time for Huntsman to just go away.

• Dave D Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 7, 2013 10:19 a.m.

To me it seems that Huntsman practices the kind of Mormonism that Joseph Smith advocated, namely, a Church wherein adherents seek out and live truth no matter where it comes from. Huntsman is more serious about debt than democrats and more serious about equality and justice than any republican I'm aware of.

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Jan. 7, 2013 8:05 a.m.

L Lib

And if the vote would have been close between Romney and Obama, nationally and in Utah, would you still vote for Huntsman, and throw away that precious vote for the liberal lest Romney win? I doubt it.

You make my point about Huntsman. I don't want a choice between 2 liberals. But is way okay with me if you want to write him in.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 11:44 p.m.

The second to last Republican President I voted for was Ronald Reagan.
    The Big Tent, Reagan Democrat, 49 out 50 State winner.

BTW - The last Republican I voted for was the closest man next to Ronald Reagan I have seen in the last 30 years -- I wrote in Jon Huntsman Jr. in 2012.

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 10:13 p.m.

Liberals are suggesting Huntsman for the republican candidate because he will do what the
    democrats want. While that may be the liberals' dream, conservatives would like to have a candidate in the race too. I hope the republicans will put a more conservative candidate than Romney on the ballot next time.

Having a republican candidate who is a minority will make a bigger difference in the outcome than having a more liberal candidate. Sad, but I think it is true. We are still a long way from Rev. King's dream of "a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin (or, may I add, by their gender or sexual orientation) but by the content of their character."

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Why does religion matter you ask?

Two reasons

1. Religions teach values. If you research a religion's values, you know what the members of the religion have been taught.

2. By observing a person's life you can see if they live consistent with those values or not. While no one is perfect, you will get an idea of a person's integrity.

I have researched the religions of many candidates, and how they live their religions. It is revealing.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Jan. 6, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Seems like Huntsman alienates most of the Republican voice. Why he won't win an election as president.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Jan. 6, 2013 7:35 p.m.

Huntsman would make an exceptional president. He is a voice of reason and sanity in a party with an increasingly myopic platform.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 7:06 p.m.

If repubs ever want to be relevant again, they need Huntsman. The far right is becoming more and more insane.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Jan. 6, 2013 2:25 p.m.

Why would the Republican Party change for Huntsman? Will he change for the majority of the republicans or there philosophy? I thought Huntsman was LDS don't know how active he is right now though. He will never be President. His philisophy some more Democrat or at least Libertarian than Republican.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Jon Huntsman is yesterday's news. I hope he can find a place to contribute, but he will not be the leader.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 1:04 p.m.

Star Light...
    You asked what Jon Huntsman Jr has done that was not the result of his father money and good name?

Let me give you some examples....

Do you enjoy the shorter times at the DMV? or that you can access the State Government through the internet to renew your business license, DMV, Motor Vehicles, etc forms.

This was done because Jon Huntsman wanted more things accessible on-line for the State residents.

Have you noticed that Utah has not been affected as much by the downturn in the ecomony? Why? because Gov. Huntsman pushed through some ideas to keep the State government smaller and save more into the Rainy day fund.

Have you noticed that the increase in education also went up during his two and half terms of office...

Huntsman did a lot for Utahan's that most residents never knew.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Jan. 6, 2013 11:37 a.m.

I couldn't agree with Mr Stanger more. What has Jon done that hasn't been a result of his father's money and good name? Something? He does have a great opinion of himself and the press loves him, loved to stick his finger in Romney's eye every chance he got. Was it really over Romney rescuing the Olympics when Jon wanted the job? Sick of the DN falling in line.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 6, 2013 11:19 a.m.

"Why did everyone vote for him? He is not LDS or even a Republican."

"Remember his response to Fortune about being asked about his religion? "I can't say I'm overly religious ... I get satisfaction from many different types of religions and philosophies,"

Newsflash. Most people dont want an "overly religious" president. I am betting that you dont either, unless it is your specific brand.

I know that some people have views like this. But most have better sense than to express them publicly?

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Why does his religion matter? Isn't that a private matter?

It's letters like these that go to show that it's not the evil "liberal media" that is making the GOP look out of touch and radical.

You folks dressed in your 17th century clothing and writing letters like these about a fellow Republican quite honestly need little help in making yourselves appear out of touch and too radical.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 10:55 a.m.

Huntsman's only problem with other Republicans is that he makes sense and is not totally at the fringes of reality.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 10:26 a.m.

It would have been even better if he told Fortune that his religion was no one elses' business.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Jan. 6, 2013 10:15 a.m.

My understanding is that when Gov. Huntsman left office he had a very high approval rating. No?

A candidate like Huntsman has ZERO chance of winning the Republican primary race.

Romney only became the Republican candidate because he walked back and abandoned any history of moderation.
    But the extreme conservative positions become a liability in the general election. McCain's pick of Palin excited the Republican base,
    but lost him the moderates. As long as Republicans reject moderates it will be difficult for them to demonstrate they can govern and are worthy of national leadership roles.

• isrred South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 10:11 a.m.

I wasn't aware that being Mr. Stranger's brand of religion or political party were a requirement for secular public office.

• George Bronx, NY
    Jan. 6, 2013 10:00 a.m.

I seem to remember the LDS leaders strongly counseling against questioning others faith.

• TopCat772 Patchogue, NY
    Jan. 6, 2013 9:34 a.m.

I agree with Blue and Larry. The GOP needs to get more realistic if it wants to be relevant anymore. Huntsman would have polled better than Romney in the battleground states on which the election hinged. He was the first to distance himself from Donald Trump, who became a liability for the party, and criticized Romney for not withdrawing his support for Richard Mourdock after his rape comment which cost Romney the female vote. He would not have made some of the infamous gaffes Romney made and did not have his reputation as a flip flopper.

Huntsman had by far the most impressive resume of the GOP candidates. He had more foreign policy experience than all of the others combined and his was state was voted "Best "Best State For Business". His tax plan was endorsed by the Wall Street Journal during the primaries. He was a proven fiscal conservative whose more moderate social views are consistent with the demographic realities in this country.

As Obama's campaign manager Jim Messina stated after Romney was trounced in an election the GOP should have won, Huntsman was, and still is, the party's best chance.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 8:09 a.m.

"He is not LDS or even a Republican. Remember his response to Fortune about being asked about his religion? "

And that is exactly why many support him, even those of us who wouldn't traditionally vote for a Republican. He's moderate. He's reasonable. He exhibits rationality and self-restraint that is absent in the extremist ideology of the Tea Party candidates trying to take over your party.

His statement on his LDS faith is to his credit, not detriment. In case you haven't been watching the news, LDS conservative Mike Crapo from Idaho was arrested for drunk driving in DC on Dec 23. In recent years, several LDS Utah politicians such as Kevin Garn were brought down by personal scandal. So apparently claiming strict adherence to the LDS or any other church doesn't guarantee good behavior, does it? I'm more concerned with a man's actions than his labels.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 8:09 a.m.

One minor correction Mr. Stanger...

Gov. Huntsman did not give State employees another day off... He switch the employees to do their jobs in 4 days (10 hours each day). To make it possible for people who actually work to get to state offices either before or after work.

there was no "day off"...

As to your letter, I happened to agree with you about Huntsman and his political ambitions...

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    Jan. 6, 2013 7:30 a.m.

Jon Huntsman was the one republican that President Obama feared in the last presidential race.

When the Republican party comes back to reality, and gets over its current far right infatuation, I seriously hope that the face of the GOP looks like Mr. Huntsman. We need two reasonable, rational parties for this country to work right and hopefully Jon Huntsman can help the conservatives see the light!

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 1:15 a.m.

Thank you, Mr. Stanger. Your hostility towards rational moderate Republicans is exactly the reason why the Republican Party is in decline nationally and accelerating towards irrelevancy. That suits me just fine.