Sports

Jan. 8, 2013 1:31 p.m.

@Naval Lint

You bored us at Hello!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 7, 2013 8:10 a.m.

Why would I:

"If you read carefully my post, you'll find I said Chow's last HOME game. Tell us, did Utah play the Sun Bowl in Salt Lake City?"

No, but THAT's why I called you Capt. Cherrypicker. Why would you pick the 2nd to the last game game of the 2011 season to be Chow's signature legacy? You either pick the entire season as a whole -- in which case, he finished a respectable 8-5 considering he was playing a D-II QB for most of the year -- or you pick his final game -- in which case it was the Sun Bowl win over Ga. Tech.

It seems to me, you're still bitter about that 54-10 drubbing in Provo.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 6, 2013 5:26 p.m.

@54-10

I was out of town at my daughters wedding reception, but thanks for thinking of me, I obviously own you :)

As for the subject at hand, I think it is a good move. I think we saw what Doman was capable of and it wasn't good enough. Anae runs an offense more to my liking although I hope he has improved in some aspects. The only way the offense could have gotten worse the last couple of years is if BYU had hired brian johnson. If the defense can maintain its current quality (not an easy thing to do) all the offense needs to do is be a top 25 offense. Anae obviously has enjoyed that level of success at multiple schools.

Makes me excited for spring ball!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Jan. 6, 2013 1:31 p.m.

There has got to be better choices out there to look at before making a decision. Looks like the U can count on another victory in Provo before taking a break for a few years.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 8:28 p.m.

Can I be the last poster to mention Andy Reid? He's not coming to Provo, will never come to Provo. The fact that he chose to coach the worst franchise currently in the NFL vs. coming to Provo to "save the day" or whatever speaks volumes on whatever.

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    Jan. 5, 2013 6:11 p.m.

Doman can't be retained as qb coach. Bring in somebody new. Even Max Hall who played for Anae. Doman can't help new quarterbacks. New face needed. Unfortunately, he just needs to move on for everybody's sake. He had his shot and did not perform. That is the way things go.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 5, 2013 5:45 p.m.

@guitarboy

As Utah will attest, hiring BYU football players to coach, is always a good move.

-----------

Or as BYU will attest hiring an Aggie player (Edwards) and a Ute player (Chow) is crucil in building a program.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 5:33 p.m.

When my son-in-law told me about this I thought he was acting like it was April 1.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 5:32 p.m.

The buck stops with the Bronco. My only hope is we are all totally surprised by an outstanding BYU offense. I'm seriously considering using my season ticket money to buy a soon-to-be-banned gun. Now that would get my attention before any kind of coaching change anyone could dream up. Good luck to everyone, old and new.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 5:15 p.m.

plyxply - I am really tired of BYU fans calling for Andy Reid. He got five years at probably $3 or $4 million per year with Kansas City. Do you think the fact that he is LDS would outweigh that?

Also, you are assuming that Holmoe totally ignored Brother Reid. I would say he has done well in keeping in touch with the alumni, and I wouldn't doubt they talk frequently. Your criticism of Holmoe is without merit.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    Jan. 5, 2013 3:27 p.m.

I think the real problem with Doman as OC was he did not have autonomy to player selection or play calling. Mendenhall had the last call on both and Riley was his Boy, which limited the passing game.

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Hank Pym

"The U played SC quite close the last 2 seasons w/ depth not quite to PAC standards. Ucla is now the premire [sic] school in LA."

USC has more 4- and 5-star recruits committed for 2013 than Utah gets in two decades, so you can stop with the spin.

Either stars are meaningful or they're not. If they don't mean anything when comparing Utah to USC, then they obviously don't mean anything when comparing BYU to Utah.

Sorry my jealous little troll hilltoppers, but your inconsistency and hypocrisy is showing.

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Excited? No! But I am going to hold reservations about this whole thing until the end of next season. I will tell you the offensive line will be much improved with Anae. This will make a huge difference.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 11:33 a.m.

Don't blame Anae for not succeeding with Nelson and Heaps. Taysom Hill and the BYU QB pipeline will make him appear smarter.

From the posts, ute trolls are worried in addition to living in the past. For bottom dwellers, there are few other choices.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Why didn't BYU go after Reid, he's a great offensive mind and he's LDS. Anae was bad before and will be just as bad now. Come on Holmoe, get with the program.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Anae called the plays when the mighty Utes beat the Cougars in 2010 in the last MWC Holy War. Remember the types of plays Anae called down the stretch,

Welcome back Mr. Anae. LOL.

• iNKSpot Wilsonville, OR
    Jan. 5, 2013 7:28 a.m.

Best news I've had since Van Noy and Hoffman decided to stay. Hoffman is probably thinking that he made the right choice. Perhaps he had prophetic insight!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Jan. 5, 2013 6:21 a.m.

HUGE mistake.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2013 3:38 a.m.

To you naysayers Matthew 7.

Never saw a coach who was perfect on every call, even your revered Urban .
    A coach who is "run" out of town does not return 2 years later with a smile on his face.
    Part of play calling is execution by the players. No execution, no success.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:48 p.m.

But Dick Harmon said Brandon would remain the OC. Was Dick actually wrong?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:24 p.m.

re: Benhur - Anae didn't call the plays at Arizona.

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:02 p.m.

@ Naval Vet

Call me Captain Cherry Picker, but you'd be wrong. If I wanted to do that, I'd include the 0 - 27 loss to UNLV where Whittingham said he "didn't know why we lost."

As long as we're seeking clarification, explain why everyone knew Washington State and Colorado wouldn't be going to bowls and out of the remaining 10 PAC 12 Teams, but of the remaining 10 teams 8 confrerence schools went to bowls, but UTAH was not one of them. How does that square with all the 2011 pre-season rhetoric about going to the "Rose Bowl?"

If I have cherry-picking issues, you, my friend, have amnesia.

• Benhur Everett, WA
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:46 p.m.

If Anae could call plays all season the way he did in closing moments of Arizona Nevada bowl game ... he could gain real fan support. If he calls plays the way he did in his last year at BYU ... no thanks.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:28 p.m.

@ phoenix 1/4/13 5:23 p

How long will it take before Utah has a better recruiting class than USC?"

The U played SC quite close the last 2 seasons w/ depth not quite to PAC standards. Ucla is now the premire school in LA.

Whether Chip Kelly leaves or not, the Ducks are THE team in the PAC

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:23 p.m.

re: midpacmajor 11:13 a.m. Jan. 4, 2013

Actually, the *entertaining* thing is the whiplash Ute nation is witnessing from byu fans welcoming Anae back w/ open arms

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 4, 2013 9:48 p.m.

phoenix:

"How long will it take before Utah has a better recruiting class than USC?"

Just so you know, Indy-WACey fans who'd been out-recruited by their big brother every year since 2009 -- and who are showing a better recruiting class as of current -- don't get to pan Utah's recruits without looking extremely bitter, jealous, and frantic and emotional.

And FWIW, USC out-recruits EVERY Pac-12 team, practically EVERY year. They're not the litmus test for solid recruiting classes.

"Why are Utah fans whining about not being able to compete in the PAC with their MWC recruits?"

You're mistaken that we didn't compete. I believe we'd only been blown out in 4 of our 18 total Pac-12 matchups these past 2 seasons. Chow's Utes > BJ's Utes > Bronco's cougs.

I'm glad you're satisfied with being so WAC-ish and mid-majorey. Have fun with your series with Middle Tennessee. I'm glad Utah doesn't have that problem.

• ColoradoCougarFan Loveland, CO
    Jan. 4, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Nothing against Anae....but the problem with the cougars has been Riley Nelson. He has got to be the worst QB I've seen from BYU in ages. Has he even started one full season in his 4 years? No. I'm looking forward a new QB.

• ET Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 4, 2013 9:23 p.m.

Good bye BYU, hello Boise Sate. Chris Peterson knows how to coach, win and get players into the pros. Good assistants flock to him and move on to great opportunities. No retreads in Boise. Bronco makes me blue.

• krobbs Sandy, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 8:40 p.m.

I am sick of the people commenting on how the same fans who were saying they were happy with him leaving are now saying they are happy that he is back. We have a big fan base people, some people weren't happy when he left. Your fan base is the same way.

• parrothead orem, ut
    Jan. 4, 2013 8:29 p.m.

This makes me laugh---Soooo many experts in Provo ! Love it :D

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2013 8:27 p.m.

@phoenix

How long will it take before Utah has a better recruiting class than USC?

----------

As soon as "Notre Dame of the West" starts recruiting like Notre Dame.

Aane is better than Doman, so BYU is back to where they were in 2009:

"[Mendenhall said that] the Cougar offense "had plateaued with the existing leadership" after Anae’s six seasons on the job and that he wanted consistent production — "not every other year or every third year." -- Kragthrope

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 4, 2013 8:25 p.m.

There has to be something more to this story. After he was escorted out of town, there is no way that Anae would return to the same job. I know Holmoe is a big fan of Anae. Anae either got megabucks or he was promised the head coach position in the future.

• Warren Kay Holladay, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Flip flop is alive and well in both politics and football!

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 4, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Joke!

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2013 7:39 p.m.

So does this mean Bronco is off Vai Sikehema's hit list? Or is he still gonna hate on the Bronc because they are not former teammates?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 4, 2013 5:48 p.m.

I'm not sure Anae was what I was looking for, but he's got to be better than Doman. Even though his plays were predictable, they were executed pretty well. Time will tell.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 4, 2013 5:23 p.m.

navel vet

"We played a D-II QB the majority of the season, in an elite conference, and with MWC recruits. At 8-5, we overachieved."

Whose fault was it that the Utah quarterback cupboard was empty when Chow arrived?

Whose fault was it that Utah hired the youngest OC in the NCAA with hardly any coaching experience and absolutely no OC experience to replace Chow?

How many times did Utah fans beat their chests about the Utes now being one of the big boys?

How long will it take before Utah has a better recruiting class than USC?

Inquiring minds want to know. Spin away!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 4:57 p.m.

@sammyg
    "Why does a BYU OC article attract any attention from Ute fans?"

Says the BYU fan that can't stay off the Utah articles. Priceless :)

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 4:19 p.m.

Pretty much all of these posts have ignored the word "may" in the title of this article. There's a lot of ground to be covered yet, and Tom Holmoe is not a stupid man.

Ever seen how the word "assume" breaks down?

• ApacheNaiche PINETOP, AZ
    Jan. 4, 2013 4:16 p.m.

BYU will be a team to fear in the upcoming season. Changes in the offense is what the doctor ordered. With Cody Hoffman and Kyle Van Noy returning and the majority of both sides of the line, Taysome Hill will take the team to BCS greatness. Bronco will keep the defense at #1 and Anae will bring back the high powered offense we're all used to. I predict an undefeated season and a top BCS berth.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 4:01 p.m.

This was a headscratcher move for me as well. But, I realize this is BYU and there's no other football program run quite like the Cougs. Anae just seems like "low lying fruit" for me. He's the best option nationally to come in and run the offense? Believe me, I'm more than glad to see Doman "removed" from that position. Very odd to keep him on as QB coach-- understanding the recruiting tie-in for him. But that's Cougarville for you. I could care less who runs the offense, so long as they are passionate, dynamic and get results from the players. Doman certainly didn't have any of that. Good luck Coach Anae!

• robo North Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 4:01 p.m.

@Byufanforlife

And if you paid attention to those two quarterbacks they were just as good/bad as sophomores as they were as seniors. They didn't improve. Doman was an option back under Crowton; he was never a qb and it shows in his coaching.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 4:01 p.m.

I say bring in Robert Anae as the new head coach and OC!! Bring in Ty Detmer as the QB coach.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:55 p.m.

This is hilarious. BYU "fan" tells us of all of the coaches waiting to take the OC position at BYU and what does Bronco do? Go back to a guy that BYU "fans" ran out of town the first time he had that job.

Priceless.

..... and better yet, what does BYU "fan" think of that hire? They think that it is a great hire with unlimited potential.

Typical.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:53 p.m.

I'm very happy to see Robert Anae back. I thought it was a bad idea to run him out of town. Maybe Andy Reid would be better but that's not happening. I'm pretty sure that if Anae were here in Heaps' 2nd season, he would have done better, instead of getting worse.

Thanks Brandon, you tried hard, but just not ready yet.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:49 p.m.

TheSportsAuthority:

"BYU didn't run Anae out of town, he left on his own accord."

If my memory serves me correctly, critics panned the cougars' offensive production that year so loudly that nobody was surprised to see Anae was not returning to coach in Provo following the 2010 season. That sounds like a school/fanbase that DID run him out of town.

"As far as Chow leaving Utah, Utah fans were glad to see him go. Chow's 'Sun Bowl win' was completely overshadowed by his pathetic offense"

I don't know anything about Utah cheering Chow's departure. I for one was sad we only had him for 1-yr. Most Ute fans knew he wouldn't stay up on the Hill for long, as he long pined for a head coaching job. Personally, I thought he'd last at least 2-yrs, like the other OCs we've had since Meyer left for Florida.

And Utah's Sun Bowl win was overshadowed by nothing. We played a D-II QB the majority of the season, in an elite conference, and with MWC recruits. At 8-5, we overachieved. Following Chow's departure, we took a step backward.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:40 p.m.

deductive reasoning:

"navel vet...'Where's Ducky with his sermon on hypocracy?'...What's 'hypocracy'?"

Why are you quoting 54-10's 11:34 am post on the 1st page of this thread, then addressing ME? Shouldn't you be asking that of HIM? I hadn't posted anything on that entire page. Why are you so obsessed with me? Were you just being frantic and emotional?

• Byufanforlife Pacific Grove, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:35 p.m.

@BYUHOCKEY doman was QB coach when hall and beck were at byu so he obviously knows something at the QB position

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:31 p.m.

BYU football is independent, has a nation-wide fan base, and is on international TV, but has the recruiting pool for coaching staff positions of a Utah private school.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:17 p.m.

I'm excited to see Coach Anae return to BYU.

I can't honestly say I was completely thrilled with every play he called (in fact, I remember many that I roundly criticized), but no coach is perfect, and even the great LaVell Edwards absorbed his share of criticism during his BYU tenure.

Good luck to Coach Anae on developing an awesome offense to compliment BYU's awesome defense next season!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:10 p.m.

I have a feeling this is going to get far more interesting than anyone here yet knows or is being reported on.
    That's all for now.

• SammFan Sammamish, WA
    Jan. 4, 2013 3:02 p.m.

Someone woke me with a text about it this morning and I thought I was having a nightmare. He was mediocre before and nobody feels obligated to offer evidence that has changed. I'd get it if he'd gone off toe some second tier school and generated some monster O numbers. Was Reynolds really that big of a problem for Anae to handle. What did that have to do w/ play calling? I think Doman was in over his head a change needed to made -- but not "backwards". Is there not any other BYU-compatible coach out there?

It's over now and we'll have to suffer for at least 8 months with prospect of Anae's mediocre, uninspiring offense -- yet hoping for much more. We're rooting for you Coach. We don't have a choice!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:59 p.m.

Re: SCCougar

I understand your point but how much of that was Brandon Doman's decision and how much of that was Bronco Mendenhall's? That is unfortunately the question that we may never have the answer to.

We already know what we get with Robert Anae, a guy who has to be right about his game plan and won't adjust when adjustments are needed. Strong defenses will shut us down. I can already see the fans freaking out this fall when we can't move the ball against the good teams on our schedule. Maybe we have the talent now to the point where it won't matter. I hope that's the case.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:58 p.m.

navel vet

"Where's Ducky with his sermon on hypocracy?"

What's "hypocracy"?

Actually, there's absolutely no hypocrisy in changing one's opinion. Sometimes, the grass on the other side of the fence proves not to be as green as was originally expected.

People frequently move away from home, change jobs, change places they eat, change friends, and then return to where they started.

Coaches being re-hired by their former teams happens all the time in, especially in professional sports - see Billy Martin and Phil Jackson - and fans who whined about the departing coach, quickly embrace them as soon as they return.

Circumstance change and people's opinions change accordingly.

There's nothing hypocritical about that.

The only hypocrisy comes from those who change their opinions, and then brand everyone else as a hypocrits for changing theirs.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:48 p.m.

Kudos to Bronco and Anae keeping their egos in check.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:31 p.m.

This answers my question, "Who can we get to challenge the intensity of Bronco's D?" We really don't need an offense to carry the day. We need a offense that can score minimum a td a quarter. Anae has shown he is over qualified to do that.

Let's be honest too, Reynolds leaving and Anae coming back, yeah, I'd look at the timing. But hey, both are good men. Things will work out, they always do.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:32 p.m.

"Why does a BYU OC article attract any attention from Ute fans?"

samg:

For an even better reason than you found to comment so much on Utah OC articles: It's such a "Back To The Future"/"Dallas" moment. Have y fans all been dreaming the past two years?

We know you'd be chiming in loud and long if Kyle demoted BJ and hired Andy Ludwig back instead of Gary Anderson taking him to Wisconsin. runnerguy is right,....so many questions.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:27 p.m.

Claws,

I understand that you know Brandon Doman and his family. Yes I'm sure he is a great person. But what you need to realize is about the QB situation in Nelson this year is that he kept him in the game knowing that he was injured and not playing at 100%. Then when Hill comes in because Nelson can't stand up, he made the call at the end of the game to run Hill when he should've taken a knee. Then, instead of bringing in a senior QB who has been biding his time for like 10 years, he puts an injured Nelson back in. This is the OC job to manage these situations so it's not because he didn't have anything to work with.

• onetoe60 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Doman's OC future blew up with Hills knee - he completely failed to manage the end of that game.
    Time will tell if this is a good move... I didn't like the Doman move 2 years ago and I didn't understand Anae's leaveing - But I do know that BYU is a hard place to coach at/for and I think Mendenhall is the right man for the job - I hope he can get the right combination around him to get to the next level.
    Go Cougs forever.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:20 p.m.

Navel Vet

"Whatever Capt. Cherrypicker. Chow's last game at Utah was a Sun Bowl victory over Ga. Tech. And Utah didn't run him out of town like the Y did to Anae."

For cherry-picking distorter of facts, see mirror.

BYU didn't run Anae out of town, he left on his own accord.

As far as Chow leaving Utah, Utah fans were glad to see him go. Chow's "Sun Bowl win" was completely overshadowed by his pathetic offense the entire season that eventually cost the Utes a chance to play in the inaugural PAC 12 championship game.

• Harry-T Davis, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:12 p.m.

This might explain the coaching staff issues that Holmoe mentioned during the Men’s Basketball Media Day. The notion was that the issue was between Mendenhall and Doman, concerning Nelson. I am not aware of anyone expecting/mentioning that Reynolds was the issue. My logic says that BYU forced Reynolds into retirement, a way to sugar coat “you’re fired”, in order to bring a guy, whether or not it’s Robert Anae, to try to bring life back into low producing offensive game.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:08 p.m.

All the Utah commenters can stop talking about how badly Anae was treated and how they feel for him. Get rid of the false pity. Some BYU fans have called every OC predicatable at some point. I love Brandon Doman as a person and continue to wish him sucess if he is quarterback coach or OC. There is always a risk when one of the BYU great players such as Doman comes back to coach, has high expectations and doesn't meet them. Unfortunately it was Doman who was predictable. I didn't see a misdirection play the entire year. That was frustrating. I'm hoping with these changes that the O line can have a bit of an edge to it. If there's a position we should be able to recruit to every year it should be the o-line.

• Harry-T Davis, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 2:02 p.m.

This might explain the coaching staff issues that Holmoe mentioned during the Men’s Basketball Media Day. The notion was that the issue was between Mendenhall and Doman, concerning Nelson. I am not aware of anyone expecting/mentioning that Reynolds was the issue. My logic says that BYU forced Reynolds into retirement, a way to sugar coat “you’re fired”, in order to bring a guy, whether or not it’s Robert Anae, to try to bring life back into the offensive game.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:53 p.m.

I don't know how I feel about this you guys . . .

Listen, Brandon Doman was a brand new offensive coordinator in 2011 with no previous experience. Everyone has to start somewhere. I hope he gets to keep his job because I think he will be good as an OC and eventually as a head coach. Honestly, aside from learning as an OC I know Brandon and his family and he is a stellar human being. And he's not dumb, or stubborn. He will learn from his mistakes and get better.

You have to consider guys . . . LOOK at what Doman has had to deal with at QB. Okay sure, year one with Jake Heaps was not good and obviously Jake didn't want to spend his career 'breaking in' Brandon Doman as an OC. But you have to look at year two, our QB was a busted ribs, busted back left-handed fullback whose interceptions equaled his touchdown passes (not to mention his fumbles and pick 6s). I don't care if our OC was Peyton Manning, he could not have called successful plays for a QB like that.

Anae could certainly help the O-line but not the whole offense.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Navel lint

Why does a BYU OC article attract any attention from Ute fans?

And why were you AWOL for several weeks last fall when your team needed you?

Oh, that's right, when things went 'south' instead of 'swarms of fans lauding BJ' they abandoned him and their team with you leading the way.

More Ute "fan" hypocrisy and denial but we know you're not a real Ute fan.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Doman always had such a sweet nature.
    Hope he enjoys teaching how to throw a spiral only.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:18 p.m.

No. This is NOT what I had in mind. Letting go of Anae was the right decision 2 years ago. It is just that Doman didn't pan out. This does not make me feel any better about the Cougar offense for next year except that I think Anae can really help the O-line. But as OC? We've been there, done that. This is NOT a good idea. The last year Anae was here, the offense was much worse than the offense this past year.

I am one fan who has not flip-flopped on this issue. Please don't bring Anae back. There are lots of OC's with much better records who would jump at this opportunity.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Does the media ever ask Bronco to questions ?
    There are many to ask !

• robo North Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:12 p.m.

Unlike many BYU fans, I never liked Anae's offense. His terrible schemes were masked by great numbers against awful opponents. Doman was much worse as a blind man could have seen coming before he was hired. If this report is true and that's the best the current staff can come up with I can only think of four words: Mendenhall needs to go!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 4, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Why would I?:

"How abourt that 2011 Colorado victory in SLC (Chow's last home game as Utah's OC) that blocked U from the Inagural PAC 12 Championship Game..."

Whatever Capt. Cherrypicker. Chow's last game at Utah was a Sun Bowl victory over Ga. Tech. And Utah didn't run him out of town like the Y did to Anae. Chow left to take a Head Coaching job at his home town's university. And of course, you don't see a swarm of Ute fans lauding BJ as a better OC than Chow either. So no...there's no hypocrisy on our part.

Clean up your own fanbase's signature hypocrisy before pointing your finger at the U.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:42 p.m.

Welcome back, Bobby Ewing.

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Why would I not be surprised to hear all the Ute fans spin this development as "anti-BYU" comments when they lost Norm Chow and haven't exactly had the best OC as his replacement? How abourt that 2011 Colorado victory in SLC (Chow's last home game as Utah's OC) that blocked U from the Inagural PAC 12 Championship Game and the result of this year's NO BOWL achievement? How's that PAC 12 Conference membership working out for you-----you know, the mighty Conference of Champions that managed to go 4 - 4 in Bowls this year?

Clean up your own program, then get back to calling BYU fans who are looking forward to Anae's return as "hypocrites."

• manutd San Diego, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Anae is good, but his offensive schemes were so predictable.
    Didnt seem capable of making adjustments, just like doman.
    What's next, crowton as head coach,
    bronco at defensive coordinator,
    going back to the MWC,
    heaps transfering back?
    I hope second time around is better.

• Dave D Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:35 p.m.

This makes all the sense in the world to me. I like Doman staying as QB coach as well. He has worked with Anae already, and BYU's offense was quite potent when they worked together. I do recall a couple of poor decisions made by Anae, but many more good than bad decisions.

• schmed Frisco, tx
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:34 p.m.

We want , Detmer, Detmer, Detmer...don't we ? !!!!! Geez I had to change the capitalized DETMERS I had. Guess this web site is still run by girls.

• schmed Frisco, tx
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Ah...didn't many of us think this guy was as predictable as me liking anything chocolate? Didn't many here say he was TOO conservative? Has he changed, has he, "learned his lesson" ? I'll bet he's the same guy many wanted him to leave. - Schmed

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Gotta love all of the nervous sniping from the usual suspects.

Anae-coached offenses helped propel BYU to 3 straight Top 15 finishes.

With Cody Hoffman, Jamaal Williams, and a healthy Taysom Hill back on offense, BYU will once again have a great offense to go along with its great defense. Add an improved kicking game and the Cougs are poised for a great season in 2013.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:17 p.m.

You don't know what you got, til it's gone! Cougar fans could not wait for Anae to leave. How the tide turns. Hopefully Anae negotiated a killer deal for himself.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 12:13 p.m.

Wow! If true, what does this say about BYU and its football staff recruiting practices? I don't know but methinks that there was/is something rotten at the Y. Anyway I hope this decision will help the BYU offense; and it should because it seems that any other OC is better than Doman. The fact that he may still be in the picture is not very encouraging. Best of luck Cougs!!

• THE MTN MAN Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:58 a.m.

One very important thing that nobody talks about is recruiting. People wonder why Doman is being retained as QB coach, but keep in mind that he is a very good recruiter. Athletes like him, and parents like him, and he's very well known among high school coaches in Utah. That counts for a lot.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:47 a.m.

I stated my disapproval of Anae being released and being replaced by Doman 2 years ago. I never liked the Doman hiring, and time has proved me right. If this story is true, you could be seeing the return and hiring of the next head coach at BYU when Bronco call it a career. I couldn't be happier for Anae and BYU football.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Yeah Anae's offense was predictable. But it was still effective. Had we had his offense with our defense this year...man that would have been great.

• no comment New Orleans, LA
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:37 a.m.

And there was much rejoicing...

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Where's Ducky with his sermon on hypocracy? The same posters who ran Anae out of town are now gleefully posting of his return.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:30 a.m.

BYU really owes this guy an apology. He was thrown under the bus, shoved over the cliff, shown the door, handed his hat, given the Bum's Rush - call it what you will - but he was treated very shabbily after all the work he had done and the success he achieved. Not many people would return after that treatment, especially considering the success he was having at Arizona. I just hope they let him do his job this time.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:28 a.m.

I'll admit I was one of the fans who was looking forward to seeing what Doman could go and getting away from the predictability of Anae's offense. "Lined up in the I on first down. They're running it. Again." And I can take a piece of that humble pie and say I was wrong for thinking Doman was the answer. Anae was still very good and though I feel he cost us a couple games with poor time management and play calling at times he is definitely an improvement and I look forward to seeing his offense on the field! Go Cougars!!!

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:13 a.m.

AlottaBalatas

LOL!

"The disorganization is entertaining."

The angst from the BYU haters is what's really entertaining.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:11 a.m.

JohnInSLC

Anae's PAC 12 "experience" wasn't even a factor. Robert always had a good working relationship with Mendenhall, as shown by the fact that his son stayed at BYU after Robert left. It has been reported that there was some tension between Reynolds and Anae, but with Reynolds retiring and all of the Reynolds brothers now graduated, that will no longer be an issue.

BYU's offense will rival BYU's defense next season, which is a scary prospect for the kids on the hill.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:06 a.m.

This is all part of BYU's master plan to get everyone to forget that the last several years ever happened. Next step: Rejoin the MWC.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 11:05 a.m.

@your_sangoma

I've been telling Coug fans for weeks that Reid would have no interest in the BYU OC job, but his name kept being posted on comment boards as a possible OC for BYU.

• Coug420 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Well, it's funny how things change over 2 years. I remember everyone was like "Good riddance Anae, bring on Doman". I found the article where Anae resigns and here are some of the comments:

Bring on Doman and Detmer!

Let the era of a Doman coached offense begin! It's a great time to be a Cougar fan!

From my understanding most BYU fans did not like his play calling, and so i am assuming this is a good thing.

It was time boys and girls... time for Anae to move on and allow Mendenhall the opportunity to choose his own replacement

Thank you Coach Mendenhall for a most "excellent" Christmas gift...

Why can't they just say that they canned him? Are they letting him "resign" so he can save face ore something?

This is a good move by all parties. At best Anae's direction was inconsistant.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Surely this is an improvement and I look forward to it.

• AlottaBalatas Centerville, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:46 a.m.

What's changed between Anae's original "resignation" and now? The disorganization is entertaining.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:40 a.m.

Anae was not a bad coach. I think he had personality conflicts with players due to polynesian sense of humor or lack thereof as the story went. Could be redemptive. Doman staying on as QB coach is a head scratcher though. Not sure he truly understands a throw first run second QB position.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:38 a.m.

This is a good start. At least we now know there is some serious decision making going on.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Awesome! All those that yelled for Anae to go got their wish with Doman...Now all those that yelled for Doman to go got their wish with Anae...Everybody's happy!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:36 a.m.

Roscoe likes him now? Was it the 2 years spent in the Pac-12 that made him smarter and less abrasive?

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Great news for BYU fans!

Anae is an excellent Offensive Coordinator.

• your_sangoma Reality, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:28 a.m.

Not sure that Reid will have the time as he will be quite busy as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

• hedgelog Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Please, say it ain't so!

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:10 a.m.

Can't wait!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:10 a.m.

What about Andy Reid for OC?