Sports

Brad Rock: Jabari Parker is not first Mormon to choose Duke

Comments

• EPoint Roy, UT
    Feb. 20, 2014 9:06 a.m.

Its late to comment here, but I remind that BYU has not won the NCAA basketball championship, ever, nor made the final 4. That is a wonderment to me...why can't the Cougars win it, why does it always have to be Duke, or just certain elite teams? Answer may be D&C 130:20-21, perhaps it is not the nature of BYU to be so single-mindedly basketball that they obey the law by which a blessing of NCAA Champs may be obtained?

Kyle Collinsworth is certainly a Jabarri-Parker type of player, though a few inches shorter, and no Parker means Kyle has had opportunity to play, develop. As a BYU fan, I'm routing for him to improve, help take the Cougs to at least the Final 4 someday.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Dec. 29, 2012 5:13 p.m.

Sammfan, apparently you missed the news he is not going to serve a mission

Thebig1 your statement is somewhat funny because that is what the article said.

Allen2 you are sadly influenced by a minority group.

One article said when Jabari's team played Lone Peak in tounaments they were beaten by Lone Peak. Perhaps seeing many of those players committed to BYU and he was not sure about his playing time. Just a thought.

I wish him success.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Dec. 29, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Coach K hit it out of the park when he said that he is Catholic but he never felt that he was required to go to Notre Dame or coach at Notre Dame. The same is true of LDS students. The LDS church large enough and diverse enough that young adults can go anywhere they want. They don't need to go to BYU and should not feel obligated to go to BYU. It is not a personal rejection of the church or its sports fans if they do not choose BYU. AND far more good can come of it when an LDS athlete shines elsewhere (Look at all the positive publicity Manti Teo got for the church for example) There are good solid LDS Institutes at virtually every major college campus. Some of the more extreme BYU fans need to take a deep breath and try to understand that you can be an active LDS and not attend BYU. A lot of kids want to go to BYU and can't. A lot of kids can go to BYU and don't want to. Everybody has their individual preferences and dreams.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Dec. 28, 2012 4:28 p.m.

I don't care about where this kid goes.
    Hope he likes Duke.
    At least he doesn't have to play for the tyrant Majarus..

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Dec. 27, 2012 11:27 a.m.

Hey Allen#2, is that as obnoxious as the Aggies I have to work with who despise BYU, no matter what?

I'm a Y alum, and I feel no need to root for BYU sports, but I also feel no need to root against them, or anyone else. Seems like a LOT of fans in Utah could use some more time learning about the golden rule, and less time worrying about who to boo.

Hope the kid has a good experience at Duke, and that he can attain the goals he has set for himself, whatever they may be.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Hey Brad - it's just "Ukraine", not "the Ukraine". Just sayin'...

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 5:25 a.m.

We know MANY active LDS who are NOT BYU sports fans. One of our daughters and her husband are BYU graduates...but not the sterotype who feel they must cheer for BYU.

I liked the bumper sticker "My Money and my Daughter go to BYU" which was true for us (although the money part is not as true as it was 20 years ago). We were also alienated against BYU because of the obnoxious attitude that Mormons are apostates if they don't support BYU sports.

• Smart Aleck Vancouver, WA
    Dec. 24, 2012 1:21 p.m.

I think Duke has exceeded its allotment of top caliber players. Time to spread around the talent.

• eljefeBYUfan Denver, CO
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:37 p.m.

IMHO Duke has one of the classiest coaches and programs in the country. They and Syracuse are the ones I cheer for when I'm not pulling for BYU. Here's wishing all the best to young Mr. Parker however long he is there.

• MamaPJ Raleigh, NC
    Dec. 22, 2012 7:10 a.m.

You forgot to mention Matt Christensen, the LDS standout prep player in Massachusetts who played for Duke, served a mission with the support of Coach K, then returned to play after his mission. He was on the 2001 Duke Championship team. During his time there, he also served as the second counselor in the bishopric in his YSA ward. Matt graduated from Duke and is now a successful businessman.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 6:23 p.m.

burgess wanted to play at Duke, well he attented for a while never did play then left.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 3:49 p.m.

@ Naval Vet
    Cut and paste much?

• Krwman Amarillo , TX
    Dec. 21, 2012 2:32 p.m.

Smart decision, young Mr. Parker. Many of us are confident that you will do well. As long as you keep playing hard and follow your convictions, no one will have the right to feel disappointed or let down.

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Was Duke the right choice for Jabari? Well, only time will truly tell, but I'm an LDS BYU fan, and I would've gone to Duke in heartbeat. Now, did he disappoint a ton of Mormons? Of course! I'm disappointed, as are probably hundreds of thousands (millions? Probably not) of others. But that doesn't mean he made the wrong choice.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Dec. 21, 2012 1:06 p.m.

I didn't really expect Parker to come to BYU, even though I hoped he would. From all I've heard, he seems to be a good kid and I wish him the best. My only concern is actually for him personally. At BYU, he would have been a standout talent following in the wake of recent success. At Duke, there are 12 other guys pretty much as good as he is, and he may become the next Burgess that doesn't pan out.

On the flip side, it will be nice to hopefully not have a story about him every other day.

• SammFan Sammamish, WA
    Dec. 21, 2012 1:01 p.m.

I'm really happy for Jabari. I'm sure he's made a great decision. He will have a great run at Duke. If he plays one year and just blows up, he may have to think hard about jumping to the league. If he's good, but not remarkable, maybe he pulls the trigger on his mission dream. In which case, maybe we (BYU fans) would be lucky to get him for a "rehab" year thereafter, before he enters the Draft. In any event, he'll touch a lot of people with his humility, his work ethic, his family ties, and his faith. He'll learn to respond to the question "what makes you different?" and he'll be ready for what's next. Good luck, Mr Parker. SammFan - BYU '85

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 21, 2012 12:31 p.m.

@Wayne... care to explain what is not true about this kid now... that he picked Duke. We have a couple of wards worth of LDS kids and their young families here at Duke... what is it they did wrong too?

I mean, if you are in El Paso... you obviously didn't choose Zion (aka Utah Valley).... whats the difference?

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 12:29 p.m.

Maybe it's different now with Parker because BYU basketball is in a much different spot today than it was back then. BYU really needed Burgess and had lost Bradley early to the NBA. Today's BYU is more consistent in year in and year out recruiting than Reid ever was, thus less impact by not getting Parker.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Interesting. I brought up the "Chris Burgess-Roger Reid" story in a comment just yesterday, but was censored. My comment was fewer than 50-words, yet Brad Rock gets to write an entire article about it.

Well, I guess that just goes to show how inconsistent our moderators are on this thread.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:18 a.m.

what are you talking about Wayne? Whats "hard to understand" ?

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 9:12 a.m.

Congratulations Jabari.... obviously the kid made the right decission for him! I wish him the best of luck at Duke and into the NBA. I will be a big fan no matter what!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Dec. 21, 2012 8:01 a.m.

Hard to understand. I guess some of the things we have heard about him are not true.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2012 7:09 a.m.

He's a one and done regardless of where he plays.
    He's really too big for any college.
    Without the NBA rule he skips college altogether.
    Duke isn't known for preparing players for the NBA.

It's too bad he chose Duke where a former BYU Professor, now a Duke advisor, wrote a scathing/bigoted article on BYU and the LDS Church.

Hopefully Jabari maintains his core values and is a light and example to everybody...
    ala Bryce Parker, Manti Teo and scores of other Profesional LDS athletes.

Good luck Jabari, remember your roots, it's a rough/tempting environment you are about to enter.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2012 6:31 a.m.

I guess we'll have to "Duke it out" for a while before we put this issue to rest.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:43 p.m.

Nice Mortoon! Real classy.

I don't know why the cougs need Jabari anyway, with byU Alpine, they will dominate and win a NC.

• Mortoon Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2012 9:23 p.m.

I understand his decision but i still don't like duke and will root against him as I did burgess. Go BYU, go Lone Peak!