Sports

View from the Booth: Here's a Christmas wish list for Utah football

Comments

• Proud Ute ,
    Dec. 25, 2012 11:21 a.m.

sammyhunter,

And by the way... where do you get off making a statement inferring that you 'live your beliefs' and we don't.

Not sure if you're asking or telling but thanks for taking the bait. Always nice to "talk" to you my friend(s).

• ATiredDude Sandy, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 4:27 p.m.

(2)

Offensive strategy should be deeply thought out by someone of high intelligence and creativity, yet it should be made simple and quick enough to understand and grasp by incoming freshmen.

Serious thoughts need to be given the defense as well. Getting blown off the field 37-7 should never happen to a team that was used to ranking in the top 20 defenses in the country year in and year out.

My hope is that the coaching staff work harder than any other staff in the country in the offseason, and help pull the program up to a level of respectability that we lost this last year... we regressed in 2012... but I believe Whitt is just the kind of coach that can pull this kind of major overhaul off. The program needs it. "More of the same" isn't going to cut it.

Go Utes, and Merry Christmas.

• ATiredDude Sandy, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 4:26 p.m.

My wish is that the coaches take a serious, hard look at themselves and where each of their decisions went wrong. Perhaps if there's some pride to be swallowed, that they will do that.

Two or three games' outcome this year rode on bad coaching.

The definition of lunacy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Maybe this "we prepare the same way week in and week out" needs adjusting. Maybe along with this "adjustment period" for the program we are experiencing in the move from the MWC to the Pac 12, the coaches should look at adjusting everything... from the way the players strap on their helmets, to the length of player workouts, to the type of shoes they wear, down to every last detail.

Some serious, deep thought needs to be given to the offensive strategy. More of the same isn't going to mean more success. Why is it that some teams without great offensive weapons, like BSU and Louisiana-Lafayette can strike fear into defenses... and we, with higher-rated recruits... cannot?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 3:56 p.m.

I really enjoyed San Diego, and I'm now enjoying being back. Missed some funny stuff while I was gone but it looks like sammyg more than kept the utah "fans" in check during my little post season trip.

Merry Christmas utah "fans"!

LOL!

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    Dec. 24, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Sounds like the Utes need the Cougar's line up for next year.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 9:26 p.m.

Utah and Colorado are 3 steps behind the rest of the south....now you get the best teams from the north as well.... .500 will be a good year for you for the ext three years....

If I were you, I would be looking for a better coach! Whit is not the answer!

Go Trojans!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 8:35 p.m.

Night fouled up

Ute whining is at an all time high this Christmas season, must have something to do with no Ute post season and their jealousy of the two better teams in the state.

It's hilarious that you would accuse one BYU fan of being a resident on 'your' stories when you and countless others have invoked squatter's rights elsewhere. Catch my drift?

Merry hypocrisy to you as well.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2012 7:54 p.m.

Proud Ute, so sorry I failed to list you as a 'great' Ute fan... how could I possibly have forgotten you. A thousand apologies to match the 1000 comments you've given as distractions on BYU stories.

I had ZERO intentions on commenting on this story but let's set the record straight... Duckhunter didn't comment nor did I until your own little 'elves' added us to the 2012 Ute Christmas list.

Ducky isn't here but in his absence I can honestly say he's as much honored as I am to make the 2012 Ute Christmas Wish List. Thank you very much for your vote.

Merry hypocrisy to you.

• Proud Ute ,
    Dec. 23, 2012 10:56 a.m.

I like having the trolls drop in to share their thoughts, I see it as an affirmation of our bright future in the PAC12 and beyond.
    If they really thought the future of the U athletic programs were as bleak or the fan as delusional as they try to paint, they wouldn't feel the need to camp out on our stories and desperatelyy spew their blue skewed nonsense.
    Just like the poor souls that camp out on the streets during Conference to spew their hate, these guys care more about being a distraction then quietly living their beliefs.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 21, 2012 5:26 p.m.

Well sammyg, Duckhunter is a resident of this place. Admitted such and goes by other names here undoubtedly.
    Both of you can have a life away from here you know. Go find a hobby or something.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 7:05 p.m.

Though a tough season, I'm conrfident next year we'll be back to fighting for a top 10 finish. This is the only graduating class of the last 9 years not to win a BCS bowl game.

Let's make it 9 of 10 graduating classes next year.

Go Utes

>___>

• JDL Magna, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:57 a.m.

@ Sammyg

Very funny retort, Thanks!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 20, 2012 9:41 a.m.

I would like to see Utah dial in on the mistakes. Fewer turn overs, fewer penalties, and see the defense make more plays (especially force more turnovers). I'm optimistic.

GO UTES
    >--->

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:17 a.m.

My wish is that Brian Johnson finds religion, becomes a Monk and moves to Nepal. He was a bad hire. Will drag Utah down. Will cost Whitt his job....I will cry big crimson tears...

What a horrible decision by Whitt! First really large error and hiis ego may not allow him to change.

Hope I'm wrong...

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:56 p.m.

MLH

Being officially recognized and 'accepted' by great Ute "fans" over this past season such as yourself, Carson, motorbike, naval vet, SoonerUte, VegasUte, SpokaneUte, The Voice of Delusion (backwards), uteology, pebbles, Howard S, Chris B, Jenny83 (who is MIA), wookie, PocyUte (a Direct TV subscriber), KamasUte (also MIA, you stuck with Direct TV too bro?), gdogfinally, NCUte2010 or was it 2011, JohninSLC, NoConference, crowntown (or was it clowntown), WacPaddled, 54-10, NightOwl, Flinching, etc. means a lot to me. Probably Ducky as well.

I think it's hilarious that you're whining and obsessed about 2 BYU fans, Ducky first and then little ol' me. What an honor.

You guys are something else. I'm choking up.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:48 p.m.

@wookie

Don't mention it, you're welcome. Oh and there is balance in all things, every action has an equal and opposite reaction, one good thing leads to another, an eye for an eye, you reap what you sew, etc....

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:46 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

It isn't irony, it's called hypocrisy.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:26 p.m.

It amazes me how many Ute fans call for an end to BYU fan's comments on their articles. However, many of these Ute fans are the same ones who comment endless on BYU articles. Does anyone else think this is ironical?

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:57 p.m.

Duckhunter

I personally enjoy the comments that you make about the Utes. You have the greatest knowledge of athletics of any other sports fan that dares put their fingers on the keys and talks about Utah athletics. With you being the greatest super league coach this state has ever seen, you must know that everyone on here is going to look for your written word of the true experience, knowledge, and inside information that you recieve. I am in total AWWW of what you represent on these pages. Your friend sammyg is a close second, he just thrills me with his marketing back ground and what that trully represents. I'm just waiting for the day to be called a name by one of you Y fans, that will be the day that I know I have trully made it.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:50 p.m.

@ Duckhunter. Thank you for being inspired so as to come and bring balance to these message boards. Had you not visited the Ute message boards the absurd comments would have continued unabated, the hypocrisy unchecked, and all balance between Utah and BYU would have disappeared. Thank you for your civility and humility.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:43 p.m.

@wookie

You are a hypocrite and I have told you many times how you can get your wish. Simply quit being a hypocrite and call out the utah "fans" that inspired me to be here in the same manner you call me out. You won't, because your hypocrisy and false pride will not allow you to do so. You would rather I continue to be the balance, so you can whine about it, than for utah "fans" to end what they started. Life's rough when you don't practice what you preach.

LOL!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:40 p.m.

You utes are just lucky we didn't start future #1 pick Lark all year or you would be watching us win another National title.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Dear Santa:

I have been really good this year. I tolerated ignorance, contention and hostility and feel that I have earned (along with every other Ute fan) the one wish I mention in my earlier post. I have come to understand that his pride is too large to comprehend and that no amount of wishes will ever make him realize that he is not wanted on here. Thus, I have resigned to this one wish...please confer upon him the gift of common sense and reality; this is his only hope. Merry Christmas

Go UTES!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Here's my Christmas Wish List.

I want the BYU vs Utah rivalry game to continue. Not because BYU needs Utah, or Utah needs BYU. But because it's a great rivalry game for the fans. Take out the mean spirited comments from a dozen Ute and BYU commenters, and the other 100,000+ fans would love to see it continue. Sure Utah has beat BYU 3 of the last 4 and 4 of the last 7; but 6 of the last 8 games have been decided by a touchdown or less and 4 of those were by a field goal or less. 3 of the last 4 games were decided on the final play of the game.

I hope BYU and Utah fans would rather watch a game like that than watching Utah beat up on N. Colorado or BYU beat up on New Mexico. Football is for the fans!

P.S. I'd also like to see Ute commenters quit referring to BYU as Indy WAC. Since Utah will play as many WAC teams as BYU in 2014, does that mean U are WACY PAC?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 3:54 p.m.

Hey christina, no matter how you try to spin it 4th place is not "the top of the nation". You've actually got to get there before you can get back there. LOL!

p.s. And usc has proven to be more than utah can handle. They may not be 'all that', in fact they are far from being "all that", but they are more than utah can hope to be.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 3:50 p.m.

@gdog

Don't be so bitter. Maybe you didn't notice but I wasn't the one that inserted myself into this article, several utah "fans" did it long before I even clicked on the article. I just had a happy time reading their obsessions.

But as always you know I think you're one of the better Utah fans around here so Merry Christmas to you as well!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Duckhunter

Merry Christmas buddy. You should vacate the Ute area and be doing cartwheels on the Cougar Section. Your boy Lark is going to get the start in San Diego. He's the guy that would have won you a national championship this year according to the level headed BYU fans that are far superior to us Ute slumbers.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:41 p.m.

After 2 tough seasons, I think Whit will have things figured out in year 3. With USC clearly not the juggernaut everyone claimed they would be, it's anyone's race in the South next year.

I have faith Whit will take us to the top of the nation, because he already did take us to the top of the nation.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:34 p.m.

@nosaerfoecioveht

"It's probably why you're obsessed with us and make comments on articles about our team."

Well if we are going to discuss "obsession" take notice as to how many posts there are about me, and I haven't even commented in this article before this. LOL!

I don't need to wish for anything, wookies, navals, and the all the rest of your obsession with me is the best present I could receive. LOL!

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:23 p.m.

@ Thats a bad one

"It's been what, 3 years now since the heralded announcement of elitism up on the hill? How come the improvement in talent and recruiting hasn't happened already?"

Yeah, and it's been longer than that since your Indy-WACers have been able to beat us. We've owned you every year since then. It's probably why you're obsessed with us and make comments on articles about our team.

The talent and recruiting has improved dramatically since our announcement of joining the Pac 12. Some of the best recruiting classes this state has ever seen. But feel free to keep commenting without thinking first :)

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Silent Lurker:

Losing Star certainly impacts the effectiveness of our Defense, but let's not forget...we DO get Visesio Salt back. If you'll recall, Salt was a 340-lbs, 4-star JUCO DT, who decommitted from Florida in the 11th hour and commited to Utah last January.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Funny how the first comment is from a southy troller. That's: have you seen byU's recruiting class this year? Laughable at best! AND ... you still lost AGAIN to the U. Try again next year.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:28 p.m.

I would like to think the needs have been addressed, but I have some concerns about more than a few positions. One the QB, Wilson is a very promising soph, Shultz is his back up but there is little else and possibly two frosh, backing him up with no D1 experience. Ask yourself when was the last time Utah went the entire season without a starting QB being injured? Second, are we really thinking that York can carry the load of both John White and himself next year? Three, the O line as mentioned above has some real issues. Four, losing Star a high draft pick to the NFL has to have some impact on the D line. Remember, he was double and triple teamed all year. Five, another year for the same LB core can they improve enough to make a positive impact? Six will the Utes lose any coaches? Another possible impact and question.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 11:24 a.m.

@ Wookie please include Sammyg in your wish list!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Only signing two O-linemen a few years ago came back to bite them hard.
    They need a lot of gifts this Christmas.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:43 a.m.

Wookie:

...and Duckhunter wishes the Indy-WACers would be respected nationally.

Sorry Wookie. Both fantasies are just pipe dreams. Never gonna happen.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:21 a.m.

My wish is that Duckhunter does not troll the Ute boards...

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:12 a.m.

@That's A Good One.

Have you looked at Utah recruiting over the last few years? This year 2013: 1 4-star, though it should be 2-3. Highest recruit (so far) an 82, with two 80's. Total 3-star recruits, 24. Last year 2012: 1 4-star recruit with a grade of 80. Total 3-star recruits, 17. 2011: 1 4-star with a grade of 80. Total 3-star, 11. 2010. No 4-star recruits and 5 3-star recruits. Talent has been increasing. As Utah continues to build new buildings, a bigger stadium, and keep up their winning traditions, more and more recruits will come. All of the smart fans knew it would take time to adjust, but we are getting better.

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:09 a.m.

It's been what, 3 years now since the heralded announcement of elitism up on the hill? How come the improvement in talent and recruiting hasn't happened already? We were told that just by belonging to the mighty PAC that talent would be knocking the door down to play in East Salt Lake.

And to add insult to injury Whittingham's potential replacement after a likely 3rd year of bottom dwelling just took the Wisconsin job. Who will Dr. Hill get to replace him now? Brian Johnson maybe?