U.S. & World

Police: Oregon mall shooter didn't know 2 he killed (+video)

Comments

• philthom4s Orem, UT
    July 1, 2013 9:07 a.m.

That is sad to think that such things happen because of insane people. I make sue to keep my windows tinted to make sure if someone driving next to me decides to shoot, he can't am at my kid.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Maybe they should ban guns in shopping malls.

Like they did at Trolley Square, which was in place BEFORE the mass killings there? Hmmm, that did not seem to work very well, did it.

It's not the guns, it's the criminals, and crazies, and certainly some terrorists too.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. While you are waiting, you are responsible for your own safety. A cell phone is nice, but a legal self defense weapon may save your life. Your life, and your choice. I won't criticize you for which you choose, and ask that you do the same.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 11:40 a.m.

Don't get all excited, folks. I'm not advocating an end to the Second Amendment -- just some common sense.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 10:39 a.m.

@old man,

You're really onto something there.

While we're at it, why dont we make it a law that makes it illegal for criminals to blow up planes?

Let's also make it a law that you can't kidnap children.

Old man, you should get Obama on the phone, and quick! He's got to hear these great ideas of yours, beore its too late

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 12, 2012 9:34 a.m.

@one old man

I'm no gun fanatic - I've never owned a gun and never will. But I'm pretty sure mass shooters like this kid in Oregon don't care whether there's an open carry law or not. I doubt any homicidal maniac is ever going to say "I was planning on shooting up the mall, but then I saw the 'no firearms allowed' sign on the door so I went home."

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Dec. 12, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Daily we read and hear of individuals, extreme groups, governments, countries who now resolve their disputes with guns and violence.
    Society will have to decide how it shall deal with this as it is becoming something that has grown to be totally out of control in our "proper, educated society".
    Chances are the emotional, genetic, personality of traditional man will never change. Man's insatiable appetite for power creates war, which equates with his desperate thirst for guns and like deadly weapons.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 9:03 a.m.

And meanwhile in Utah, some extremist members of our legislature is arguing over whether or not people should be allowed to "open carry" weapons into malls.

There is even a hullaballoo when someone sees a gun toting person in public and calls police.

While the ever patriotic and paranoid NRA is pushing for such insane things as "Stand Your Ground" and is even advocating the "right" of loyal Americans to shoot at cops if they believe the police have overstepped their Constitutional boundaries. To make that even easier, they cry bloody murder over any proposal to limit sales of assault weapons of mass destruction.

Stand Your Ground tells people they may start shooting "if they feel threatened." Perhaps this guy was threatened by a little lady with an ice cream cone that could have been used as a weapon against him.

Mass shooters like this one are not the only insane people in this country . . .