Sports

Former BYU quarterback Ty Detmer inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Comments

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 6, 2012 12:26 a.m.

Congrats to TY!

Now hire him as the QB coach!!

• Indy St George, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Holmoe needs to make some serious changed with the football program if Independence is ever going to work. Doman is not cutting it as OC and QB coach. I know the guy is also serving as a bishop right now, as well as raising a family so I can understand why he is struggling, but It's time to either cut him loose or bring in another coach to take over either coaching the QB's or running the offense. I for one think Ty Detmer would do a great job, and it would be a great move to bring him into the program. He can do much worse than Doman can he?

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 5, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Congrats Ty! What an honor!

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Back in high school, Ty could throw that football a quarter mile.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:18 a.m.

Chris this the firsst time and I mean the first time you have ever said anything positive about a BYU player. BTW how did Utah and their QB do?

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:15 a.m.

Congratulations Ty!

Another well-deserved honor.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:09 a.m.

I add my props to one of the really good BYU quarterbacks. The guy could play, and you can't take that away from him.

You cougs think that I am a byu hater. That is not true. I just call them as I see them, and I have no problem giving praise when it is deserved--as with Detmer. It's just that your teams, and especially your qb this year, leave a LOT to be desired. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 7:09 a.m.

With Detmer on the field, you knew that the team always had a chance of winning the game. How I miss those days!
    Congratulations Ty! You deserve it!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 11:19 p.m.

During the spring scrimmage at Colorado State in Fort Collins, I was on vacation and my wife and I stopped with our toddler to watch the game. Afterwards, I approached the Referee of the officiating crew and exchanged greetings. When he found I was from the State of Utah and a BYU alumnus, he inquired what "I thought about that kid from Texas, named Detmer." (It was that following fall before Ty ever played a down for BYU.) I replied to the gentleman "I think he's going to be pretty good." Little did either of us know at the time that he'd win the Heisman Trophy. But he certainly deserved it. And he was good enough that as a former high school football official I recognized his talent, too.

Congratulations and Go TY!!