Sports

Doug Robinson: Jim Harbaugh created a mess with mishandling of 49ers' QB situation

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 3:49 p.m.

VegasUte

It must really hurt not seeing your Utes in the Las Vegas bowl like the good ol' days. LOL

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 10, 2012 1:42 p.m.

Little Ducky wouldn't have a life if it wasn't for Utah blogs. Sad really.

It is great to be a Ute!!

Dec. 10, 2012 10:19 a.m.

@uteology

I'm here because I'm the balance, deal with it. But of course we don't know if Jimmer is being outplayed or not because he isn't playing. But that isn't really the point anyway, it is utah "fan" hypocrisy. In the smith situation 6 years of terrible play was not smith's fault and proved nothing, in Jimmer's case he hasn't even had the opportunity to play badly, he simply hasn't played. That after a shortened rookie season with no training camp or summer league, a coaching change, etc. Yet he is somehow a "bust". I love utah "fan" hypocrisy. Very funny. LOL!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 7, 2012 6:18 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Oh I see. You are only here because some Ute "fans" hurt your feelings about Jimmer.

The difference:

The reason Jimmer is NOT getting playing time is because he's being outplayed by the #60 draft pick on the SAME "horrible" Sacramento team, with the same coach.

Smith is not being outplayed by CK, he just has potential.

So according to you Harbaugh is great "judge of talent" by Keith Smart is not?

Dec. 7, 2012 3:59 p.m.

@cedarcityute

Well those are all nice sentiments but what do they have to do with harbaugh benching smith? How does any of that prove smith to be superior to kaepernick and harbaugh to be a poor judge of talent? You realize harbaugh is trying to put the guy on the field he thinks is best and not the guy that is the nicest don't you?

@wookie

I'm a fan of a school, I am not a representaive of the school or the church. Like you I am a fan. Just because I chose to be a fan of the school I chose it does not mean I am somehow to be held to a higher standard than those that chose to be fans of another school. That said I am one lone voice in a sea of crimson classlessness. I do have some help these days with such great Cougar fans as sammyg and some others. It is nice that we are finally getting some balance around here. It is funny that you somehow think I carry more weight than any of 500 lame utah "fans". LOL!

Dec. 7, 2012 3:54 p.m.

@vegas ute

Self congratulations are a bit hollow. A person posting to congratulate themselves only does so because no one else considers whatever it was they did to be worthy of congratulations. But I suppose if that is all you can get.........

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 3:27 p.m.

wookie

Out of all the Star Wars movies I watched there was not one utterance of Chewbacca that was intelligible.

Nothing has changed.

Your bringing a religious undertone in criticism to Duckhunter's opinion is bad form.

I believe tolerance is the politically correct approach these days.

Ducky has valid points about Harbaugh and Smith.

And a shoutout to my follower Motortrike who just cannot get me or Ducky out of his head.

We're making a difference.

I don't think Harbaugh cares if Alex is a Ute or not. Imagine that... we think a lot alike.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 3:22 p.m.

So what do all the people that criticize Alex Smith do? hm...probably NOT make millions of dollars a year. It's fun to hear all of the 'armchair QB's, whom mostly consist of BYU fans and utah bandwagoners. I'm sure all of you couldn't handle half the crap he's taken. This guy has stayed true to his team without quitting and is a great story about following through with your commitment. So many players quit when it gets tough (Vince Young throwing his pads into the audience ring a bell?). He keeps out of trouble and just plays. He's a great guy, a great QB, and hopefully if the 49ers aren't the right team for him, I hope he gets onto another that is the right fit for his style of play.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 7, 2012 2:35 p.m.

The little ducky's continued posting just proves my point over, and over, and over again.

Love it!!

Great to be a Ute!!!

Dec. 7, 2012 12:13 p.m.

@uteology

Why do you continue to post on BYU articles all of the time? I love it when a utah "fan" asks me that question because it means they feel defeated. They have no legit counter to my points so it is just them wishing I'd go away.

But as far as "why" I am here, well let's discuss that.

utah "fans" dislike me pointing out smith's mediocrity which has been proven by 8, yes 8, extremely mediocre years unbefitting a #1 overall NFL pick. Yet it has been non stop that utah "fans" have posted demeaning, negative, caustic, things about Jimmer. Non stop on just about every article about him. They tell us "he'll be out of the league in a couple of years", was "over rated", is "bound for Eurpoe", etc. Of course he plays on a bad team that changed coaches from the guy that drafted him, has only played one lockout shortened season, and has hardly been given any opportunity. But to utah "fans" that is different. That is just utah "fans" telling it like it is, pointing out the truth, setting things straight.

That's why I am here.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 7, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Duck why are you still posting?

We know why you're here and it has nothing to do with the 9ers.

You're just hurting that BYU has no NFL QB so you're trying to bring Smith down to the same level. So that you can sleep better at night.

"BYU routinely signs top 20 qb recruits, just about every year, and sends them on to the nfl, utah routinely signs a non top 20 qb recruit and promptly moves him to defense."
    -- Duckhunter (3:35 p.m. Oct. 16, 2012)

@Swoop
    "Call us when your #1 picks have actually accomplished something at the elite level of the NFL or NBA."

Danny Ainge was on a dynasty as well, which had more to do with accomplishment then his own talents. What did Ainge accomplish after he left Boston?

Smith and Bogut were drafted by HORRIBLE teams. Smith on a "great team" (like Young and Ainge) is a top 10 QB according to NFL stats.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 10:59 a.m.

pebbles

"They're just jealous because they have never had one of theirs drafted as the first pick in the NFL or NBA."

LOL!

Jealous of a #1 pick that has only had ONE playoff win during his entire NFL career.

BYU has had TWO QB's who lead their teams to Super Bowl wins.

BYU has had a College Basketball Player of the Year, who was a starter and an integral part of TWO NBA championship teams, and was later the GM of another NBA championship team.

Stamp, double stamp, triple stamp, game over!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 7, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

@uteology

"Nope! He was a bust on a bad team and became star on a dynasty:"

So the 2 years he spent in Tampa proved him to be a bust but smith's 6 years of ineptitude in SF didn't? More utah "fan" hypocrisy.

-----------

I didn't label him a "bust", Tampa did (try searching the internet). That's why they traded him. Apparently SF and Harbaugh did think Alex was a "bust" because they gave him a contract.

Just to be clear, I think Steve is one of the greatest QBs, so I am not putting him down. The point is he did succeed only under a dynasty, a fact proven by Tampa labeling him a "bust" and trading him after 2 years.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Delusion in Y/kitten land. I sight to behold. They're just jealous because they have never had one of theirs drafted as the first pick in the NFL or NBA. On the other hand Utah had Alex Smith and Andrew Bogut taken as the #1 picks in the NFL and NBA, respectively, in the same year. As to Alex Smith , he should get out of SF as soon as he can and leave Harbaugh in a bind when the Kaep does like he does last week and leads the Niners nowhere good. I'll laugh.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 7, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Another Alex Smith sob story. Go Kaep.

Dec. 6, 2012 9:47 p.m.

@vegasute

Do you want some "reality"? My guess is you don't but I'm going to give it to you anyway.

Despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth from utah "fans" like yourself coach harbaugh has still benched the talent inferior alex smith for the vastly talent superior Colin Kaepernick.

Coach harbaugh does not care what any of us think, he is simply going with the qb that he feels is the superior talent.

That's "reality".

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 6, 2012 3:41 p.m.

I have followed Kaepernick since his first start for Reno as a freshman. I was excited when the Noners took him in the second round. He is a fun player to watch and certainly has a different set of skills than Smith. That doesn't mean they are better, just different. I think Kaepernick has the POTENTIAL to be a better QB than Smith over the long run, but has not earned that distinction yet, nor was it apparent in the Niners loss on Sunday. Harbaugh hurt his team by creating this distraction. This is Smith's first year in the NFL without coaching turnovers and upheaval and was (again) showing that he deserved to be a starter in the NFL. Ultimately only time will tell whether Harbaugh made a lasting error for the team, but in the end, Smith and his psyche will be just fine!!!

For Utah fans: Please stop confusing the trollers with facts and statistics. They have one agenda only, and it does NOT include reality!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 6, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Little Ducky does not care in the slightest who plays QB for the niners, he is just trolling ANY Utah post to try to push his Utah hate. Sad that he can't find something more productive with his time.

BTW, lil' brother, Smith has been VASTLY more productive and successful that all of the QBs since Young COMBINED coming out the the .... cough cough .... "QB factory" down south. No wonder you spend so much time chasing Utah stories - it has to be boring being a southy!!

It's GREAT to be a Ute!!

Dec. 6, 2012 10:15 a.m.

@wookie

Where does your angst stem from, and who authored that in your heart? Seriously your over the top agony over my opinions is giving me more belly laughs than I think you want to supply me with. You do realize this is a message board about sports don't you? You do realize that in comparison to such notable utah "fans" as chris b, naval vet, uteology, williary, proud ute, pebbles, utah hawaii alum, 54-10, and a quite a few others, that I am just a novice. One lone voice in a sea of caustic crimson comments?

What am I asking here? Of course you don't realize that, you are blinded by crimson colored glasses and all you can read is one side of things. I have no doubt the ute "fan" comments about BYU just read as accurate assessments of reality to you. LOL!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 6, 2012 9:30 a.m.

I am proud of the integrity, humility and sportmanship that Alex has endured over his career at San Francisco. A lot can be said of him and his character. I have always been a huge fan of the 9ers. Loved Bill Walsh and Eddie. I understand that Pro Football is a business and thus Jim acts in his perceived best interest of his job and that of the organization. However, I struggle with his decision with Alex. I wonder what his teammates think of this situation? I have never played anything past high school sports so I have no idea on how to comment on this any further. I wish the 9ers and Alex all the luck in the world. @ Duckhunter, where does your contention stem from, and who authored that in your heart?

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 6, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Duckhunter is a voice of reason in a crimson sea of delusion.

Dec. 6, 2012 8:49 a.m.

@uteology

"Nope! He was a bust on a bad team and became star on a dynasty:"

• BigAlvin COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Dec. 6, 2012 6:31 a.m.

Tune in to see the new version of Charlie Brown's Christmas, starring Jim Harbaugh as Lucy and Alex Smith as Charlie Brown. Laugh at Lucy's antics as she pulls the football away from Charlie Brown just as he's ready to kick it.

• LP9086 Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 6, 2012 1:25 a.m.

Keep waiting for the Niners to fall apart haters....I will be the laughing at you all when they win the Superbowl.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:25 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I don't doubt that you truly believe you are the "BALANCE", but trust me when I say you are the ONLY one who believes that to be true ... well, outside of maybe sammyg.

Dec. 5, 2012 9:22 p.m.

@wookie

"sinister"?

Good grief, this is a comment board about sports.

LOL!

Oh by the way, I am the BALANCE.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Dec. 5, 2012 9:19 p.m.

We have watched Alex smith for 7 yes. Here in normal. Nie guy,decent qb. Irate. He is shaky on the deep ball and often won't pull the trigger in tight games. It was pretty obvious what kapernick could do right away. The better man should play. College was a long time ago,time to grow up

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:53 p.m.

Way to call him out Robinson. I agree with you 100%. I don't feel bad for Smith, that's the business of football, a number 1 draft pick should have proven himself a long time ago. That being said, Smith was doing just fine and the 49ers looked very good.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 5, 2012 6:19 p.m.

re: Stargazer

"Must have taken lessons from Coach Mendenhall on how to work with quarterbacks."

Except in this case, Smith is Riley Nelson and Kaepernick is Lark. Instead of sticking with loyalty at the expense of the team, he's going with the more talented player.

• AlexSmithFan ,
    Dec. 5, 2012 6:08 p.m.

Thank you so much for writing this article. The handling of Alex Smith has been a disgrace. The most accurate passer in the league, has done everything requested of him for the last year and a half, he even gave up his body to gain an extra yard for your team, and this is the thanks he gets?

Kaepernick has some great skills, his abilities are endless, however it is not yet his turn to "run" with the torch...

To think that Kaepernick has won games, or even managed them properly is hilarious.
    As was so eloquently noted in this article, it was the defense who scored 14 pts by themselves who won the game against the Saints. And the Rams, if it wasn't for his turnover (no coach made that bad lateral pass), and the safety then the Niners win that game.

Truth is, if it wasn't for the rookie fumbling those kickoffs, and handing the Superbowl invite to the Giants the Niners could be defending Super Bowl Champs, with Alez Smith at the halm.

Time to suck up your Pride Harbaugh, and put Smith back in.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 5, 2012 5:45 p.m.

@ Duckhunter:

It is unfortunate that you have acquiesced to creating contention among the aforementioned in your riposte. What is even more stunning and sinister is that you revel in your efforts "Oh I am really enjoying all of the Utah "fan" angst. LOL!" Your attempt to redirect attention to those that challenge you with contentious statements exemplifies your narcissistic denial. I am not excuses their responses, but you must recognize that you reap what you sew. If you are a BYU fan and you are a member of the Faith, then you should reevaluate your principles and the example you are leaving for posters on DNews. Go UTES!!

• stargazer Murray, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 4:30 p.m.

Must have taken lessons from Coach Mendenhall on how to work with quarterbacks.

Dec. 5, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Oh and I am really enjoying all of the utah "fan" angst. LOL!

Dec. 5, 2012 3:25 p.m.

@wookie

Hmmm....I certianly enjoy your hypocrisy, like that of all utah "fans". You ignore chris b, naval vet, hedgehog, 54-10, and all of the "contentious" utah "fans" but single me out. I understand this is because you are a hypocrite and hypocrisy does accurately represent utah "fans" so you are simply holding true to utah "fan" principles. Congratulations?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 3:23 p.m.

@OHBU

Didn't Singletary call out Davis for not being able to "win" with players like him?

Look I never said Gore and Davis are not great players. They are. But it's also not only Smith's fault that we struggled. We had horrible coaching.

As far as Steve, he also struggled at SF. He was benched for Steve Bono and plans were to trade him to the Raiders.

Dec. 5, 2012 3:19 p.m.

As usual I love exposing utah "fans" for their hypocrisy. And just claiming I said this or that is laughable. Let's go to the actual archives shall we?

"Duckhunter

Highland, UT

Also utah "fans" I actually agree that smith might give the 49ers a better chance to win this year, but my guess is that Harbaugh and the 49ers that matter don't think that chance is very good anyway or else they wouldn't be doing this.
    5:17 p.m. Nov. 27, 2012"

There it is, with the time stamp.

Now I'll say it for the thousandth time, I think Harbaugh is making the move he wanted to make. When smith got concussed it gave him his chance and he took it. It tells me Harbaugh, who is the only one whose opinion actually matters, believes kaepernick to be the better talent. He never was sold on smith, he just got what he could get out of him for lack of a better option. I know that hurts utah "fan" feelings but it simply is what it is. Deal with it.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 5, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Uteology

Solid doesn't mean elite. Solid means good, not great. In other words, they weren't the worst defense in the league. As you yourself point out, most years they were mid-level, and a whole lot of mid-level defenses get to pretty good regular season records.

Also, Shaun Hill? Really? Remind me where he's playing again.

Sorry, we had Gore and Vernon Davis...two of the best skill position players in the league. Are you seriously going to pretend they're not good. Gore got over 1,000 yards almost every year, making the ProBowl multiple times. You don't do that behind a terrible O-Line.

That's a far cry from the Bucs where Young was playing, where it was "hike and run for your life"

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 3:00 p.m.

@Swoop

Nope! He was a bust on a bad team and became star on a dynasty:

"Montana [was] forced to miss the entire 1991 season [due to injury]...[with] Young the went 4–4. Young suffered a knee injury and was replaced by Steve Bono. Bono led the 49ers to five consecutive victories, playing so well that coach George Seifert decided to keep him in the starting lineup after Young had recovered. It wasn't until late in the 15th game of the season, after Bono went down with an injury of his own, that Young got to play again.

By the start of the 1992 season, San Francisco came close to trading Young to the Los Angeles Raiders, but no deal was finalized and it turned out that Montana would not recover in time to start in the opening game.

In 1993 [SF] wanted Montana to resume his role as starting quarterback for the 49ers. However, a rift in the locker room had developed, with players split on whom they wanted at quarterback. In the spring of 1993, at Montana's request, San Francisco traded Montana to the Kansas City Chiefs. Young was now the 49ers' undisputed starter.

• LP9086 Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 5, 2012 2:23 p.m.

Look at all the jealous 49er/Harbaugh haters rejoicing after one San Francisco loss on the road in a divisional game (where their reliable kicker missed the game winner). FACT: If David Akers makes that field goal in OT this article never gets written.

It's unbelievable how transparent and easily manipulated you all are.

Colin Kaepernick is a very talented kid who made a lot of plays in the Rams game as well. If you don't see that, you just don't know football.

Fact: The 49ers have a better coaching and quarterback situation then most of the league.

Pound your desk all you want and hope the 49ers and Harbaugh fail...You'll just end up disappointed as they will keep winning games while Harbaugh's passion and brilliance ignites them into another playoff run.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 2:21 p.m.

Uteology

"Steve Young was a hall of fame player ONLY when he arrived in San Francisco, under a dynasty."

Nope!

Steve Young is a College and Pro Football Hall of Fame player who was initially stuck in a train wreck. As soon as he escaped Tampa Bay, he was free to demonstrate his true talent, which became so evident that 49ers fans were soon calling for Steve to replace a living legend.

Alex Smith has never demonstrated talent even remotely close to the talent Young possessed.

Smith is a decent scrambler and high completion percentage passer, IF, the passing routes are kept in the 5- to 10-yard range.

Smith has maxed out on his talent. Kaepernick has loads of untapped potential. Which is obviously why Harbaugh decided to go with Kaepernick for not only the present, but also for the future.

• Hoopty6 OGDEN, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 2:03 p.m.

If EITHER of these overpayed QBs 'confidence' is shot they should go back to high school. What a bunch of pansies.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 1:36 p.m.

OHBU

----------

Huh?

They have a "solid" defense just recently. The had one the worst defenses in 2006 #26, 2007 #25, and mid-level defense the rest of the time.

Those top TE, RB, and O-Line were so great that they failed to go over 8 wins until last season, with or without Smith:

A) In 2008 Shaun Hill was 12th ranked QB but SF finished 7-9
    B) In 2009 Smith was #19 ranked QB but SF finished 8-8 (first non-losing season).

Talent and coaching wins you games. Harbaugh is a great coach and we have the talent to win a Super Bowl. But it wasn't Smith's fault why we didn't win over the years.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 5, 2012 12:05 p.m.

@ Duckhunter:

I have no issue with you commenting upon U of U articles, or as others affectionately call it "trolling". What I do take issue with is your constant contentious behavior and comments. Again, you are truly not a BYU fan nor a member of the Faith it represents as you clearly do not fall in line with the principles they espouse.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:50 a.m.

regis

I am not saying the story didn't deserve front page coverage. Just in contrast to winning the Heisman and being inducted into the Football Hall of Fame it seems a huge picture of two quarterbacks standing by their coach hardly is news to the point that is squishes every other story into a small space. That's all. I'm not saying Alex Smith is being treated fairly or not, but a little tiff over starting vs not starting, which could change any game, isn't right up there with being inducted into the Hall of Fame, is it? Or is it, to Utah fans? I'd feel the same way if they had a story about college QB's from Utah this year and Chuckie got a little blub and the big photo was of Riley Nelson. Some things are way out of balance and sports reporters often aren't as objective as they would lead us to believe.

As for your point about U of U athletics, I guessed you missed all the hype on Bogut and Smith a few years ago, not to mention the 2 BCS wins, and (sadly) Majerus this week.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:45 a.m.

toosmartforyou

Opps, make that say "and the fact Ty Detmer, the only QB from a school in the State of Utah that ever won the Heisman Trophy, got only a small area on that page."

Let's just turn that around and say "and the fact that Alex Smith, the only QB from a school in the State of Utah that was ever drafted #1 AND is involved in a current run to the Super Bowl ..."

Come one man, we both know what team dominates the front page of the DNews ... this article was a very good read and is a big deal in the NFL right now ... TODAY.

That said, I give Detmer all the props in the worlds and said as much in comments on that article. He certainly deserves a chunk of the limelight right now.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:43 a.m.

@ Uteology

Steve Young was a hall of fame player ONLY when he arrived in San Francisco, under a dynasty. In Tampa Bay Buccaneers he was a "bust" who was replaced by the first overall pick in the 1987 NFL Draft.

-----

Fair point, but the 9ers were not the Bucs. Smith had one of the top running backs, top tight ends, solid defense and, given Gore's success in that time-frame, a decent o-line. When the bucs moved on from Young, there were trade offers. Before Harbaugh's arrival, the consensus was Smith was done in the NFL. Not done as a starter, but done. While Smith may feel slighted in this situation, the reality is that Harbaugh has extended his career considerably. Smith will likely go to another struggling team next year, someone like Arizona, and we'll see how he performs sans Harbaugh.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:41 a.m.

@Duckhunter ... Dude, you've been completely exposed. You're better off tucking tail on on this one and walking away.
    Trying to spin your comments in a different direction this week is hilarious. And trying to call Ute fans out for being hypocrites about not wanting to give Kaep a chance now when Alex was given many chances over the years, is just plain irrelevant and you know it.
    San Fran wasn't in the middle of a 2 year stretch of Super Bowl contending football when they were giving Alex and all the other QB's a chance to step up. This is far different in 2012 where the Niners are/were in play for a Super Bowl run ... this is not the time for screwing with a good thing. So get off your ridiculous "Ute fan hypocrisy" kick when it is not even close to the same situation.
    Your only logical statement has been that Kaep brings other tools to the table that could make him the better qb in the future ... you haven't seen Smith/49er fans arguing much with you on that. We're simply saying this is not the time to be playing for the future.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Gotta love the y "fans" commenting here. These were the same astute observers who were telling us just a few years ago how Max Hall and John Beck were going to tear up the League.

LOL, indeed!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:02 a.m.

I think we need to take it easy on Ducky. He's just a hie hard Cougar fan who's hurting inside since BYU has no real QB in the NFL.

As far as judging talent??

"Of course those don't include the actual sr starter Riley Nelson who is vastly superior to any qb utah currently has" -- Duckhunter (3:56 p.m. Aug. 9, 2012)

Nelson is "vastly superior" to Utah QBs as much as CK is "vastly superior" to Smith.

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 11:01 a.m.

@Toosmartforyou

I guess different fans see things differently, but I'm amazed that anyone could complain about the DNews devoting too much of their front sports page to a story about a UofU athlete. From my angle, I see about 2 or 3 stories every day on the front page focused on BYU football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, tiddley-winks - you name it. Utah sports normally gets covered with one small column to the side, usually without any picture at all. How refreshing to see a positive commentary about a former Ute take front and center stage.

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 10:43 a.m.

To all the BYU fans on here. I don't know why your hating. I want all the BYU players to do well in the NFL. I follow Austin Collies, Dennis Pitta etc. I want all players from the state of Utah to do well in the NFL. Do I like them in college? No. But I guess I'm just a classy Ute fan. Or to you BYU fans, I'm being classless.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Agree with the article 100% as well.

I can't believe that Ducky actually came on this thread after what he was saying last week. You need to take your lumps and move on. Don't rip Smith one week and then come back and say that you said that he was your choice all along and the best choice to win right now.

Good stuff

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 10:12 a.m.

Not a fan of the 49ers so I enjoyed both the game against the Rams and the Duckhunter incoherent rants on this article.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2012 10:09 a.m.

@OHBU
    Great qbs still look good even when the coaches aren't great.

-------

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 9:49 a.m.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 9:45 a.m.

All of you Utah fairweather "fans" feel free to go cheer for another NFL team. I have been a niner fan for 34 years and of all the coaches they have paraded out in the last 8 years, Harbaugh is the only one who has been worth a lick. Whether his decisions are right or wrong, they are always made based on winning. He admits it when he does make a mistake, and I can live with that. Unless you are in every team meeting and practice, nobody has a right to criticize him until this whole thing plays out. I may be a Y fan, but I never wanted Young to replace Montana, and look how that turned out.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 9:38 a.m.

I don't have any axe to grind on this issue, except to say the DesNews stubbed their toe when a QB controversy takes up the masjority of the front page of the paper with a huge picture that doesn't say anything about the story, really, and the fact Ty Detmer, the only QB from a school in the State of Utah, got only a small area on that page.

What are you guys thinking these days? What is really "news" and "newsworthy" and what will have impact beyong maybe two weeks? Sure, it's a story, but you are covering it like it was the end of WWII.

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Excellent commentary, Doug.

Alex deserved much better. And I for one would be happy to see the 49er's absolutely go into the toilet -- and Alex get a trade to a team that values his skills.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Dec. 5, 2012 9:25 a.m.

I was floored by this. He spends all this time building up Alex Smith and then for no reason basically says "just kidding" and puts in an inexperienced quarterback who by the way cost them the game with St. Louis. As you say, he's completely destroying team chemistry not to mention creating distrust from all his players.

Dec. 5, 2012 9:01 a.m.

@motorbike

You really have a comprehension problem. 1st of all I have never said that harbaugh did the right thing by changing qb's, to the contrary I said I though smith gave the 49er's the better opportunity to make a playoff run this year than kaepernick does. It is right there in the comments on that article last week for you to refresh your memory with.

Also in my comment on this article I didn't say anything about it being the right or wrong thing to do either. I simply pointed out more utah "fan" hypocrisy as posted by utemiguel. His claim was the kaepernick was a proven bust or "flash in the pan" after only 3 games and insinuated he'll never be more than that. I simply pointed out that utah "fans" gave smith 8 years to "prove" himself but they are calling kaepernick a failure after 3 games, with a record of 2-1 in those 3 games I might add.

Once again it has nothing to do with harbaugh being wrong or right, it has everything to do with typical utah "fan" hypocrisy on almost every subject discussed.

Dec. 5, 2012 8:54 a.m.

@uteology

I agree smith gives them a better chance this year, I agreed with you on that point in the comments from the article last week. I also think kaepernick is a vastly superior talent to smith so long term kaepernick is the better guy. I also said it appears to me that harbaugh may not have thought their chance this year was all that great anyway and that is why he made the move. You and I can disagree with him as to whether or not they have a legit chance to be in this years superbowl but it appears he doesn't think smith gave them the chance to do it or he wouldn't have made the change.

utah "fans" can try to make this about me all they want but it doesn't change the fact that it is harbaugh that has made the decisions and all I have done is commented on it. I understand utah "fans" have an emotional investment in it, I don't, I just made some pretty good points about it.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:50 a.m.

As a long-time 9ers fan, I have to say the whole situation makes me a little uncomfortable. But here's the thing, Harbaugh has earned a lot of "benefit of the doubt" from me. Let's be clear about Smith...he's handled himself pretty well these last two years. But he wasn't going anywhere in this league if he hadn't met Harbaugh. He has yet to play spectacular ever in his career. Great qbs still look good even when the coaches aren't great. Smith is smart, and can play careful within the system. I think he should be the qb through the end of the year, at which time we cut ties and go with the future. Kaep's just better, as far as raw talent is concerned. His arm is stronger, he's faster, and he's more accurate. Given time with Harbaugh, his ceiling is much, much higher.

Actually, Harbaugh's career is much like Smith's: he was a good, not great, qb who lost his job to a young talent with a higher ceiling--Peyton Manning.

• Herby Hurricane, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:47 a.m.

The sad thing is, the main stream media jumped on the kaepernick bandwagon last week and this week they are dead silent but should be talking about how big of a mistake this whole mess was.

• BigAlvin COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:41 a.m.

Amen to most of the comments.

I like to see local boys do well, no matter where they played in college. It’s obvious that Alex has been dealt many tough hands, but has shown tremendous character.
    This has the potential of being one of the worst moves ever by a coach in any sport at any level. There is no way to measure it, but I’m certain players of any sport at any level (especially under Harbaugh) will now be more likely to conceal their injuries – especially concussions – which will prove to be very dangerous to some of them. Athletes are, of course, very competitive, and don’t want to give up their starting spots. Then there is the loyalty factor. If I am a player at any position for the 49ers, I now know that Jim Harbaugh is the Judas, the Benedict Arnold of coaches. He even drove the bus after he threw Alex Smith under it.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Ironic that Harbaugh as an ex NFL QB doesn't know how to handle his QB's. He should leave Kap on the bench to learn a while longer and let Smith have his day, as Bill Walsh would have done. Instead he messes up both QB's.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 8:01 a.m.

NFL coaches may get paid well but don't seem to brought sometimes.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 5, 2012 7:34 a.m.

I can't stand Jim Harabugh. He's a pompous arrogant coach. Why fix what not's broken. Big mistake on the coaches fault. The Rookie QB is goint to get pounded; especially when the 49ers come to Seattle.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 7:31 a.m.

Reminds me of how Riley Nelson became and continues to remain BYU's starting qb. There must be more to both stories.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 6:55 a.m.

Still, Alex Smith is a mediocre QB and Harbaugh knows it. Somehow, Harbaugh has managed to squeeze success out of a QB who can't throw long, who was on the brink of being left out of the NFL because of his poor performance. Ok, he's having a decent year, but no big numbers, no long passes. Harbaugh is successful because he can see the future and he knows Smith is not the future. I think Robinson has kind of gone ballistic here...must be a bit Utah fan, or related to Smith, I don't know, but anyone with even a basic understanding of NFL QBs knows Smith has a ceiling--and he has reached it, and Harbaugh knows it.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 6:30 a.m.

I don't blame Harbaugh for New Orleans. Another week rest from a concussion injury when you have one game to give away is not bad coaching. Priority one; keep Alex healthy for the post season. The win was a bonus.

But, St. Louis was all Harbaugh's fault. Announcing Kap this week makes me wonder if Harbaugh has a concussion.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 6:23 a.m.

Good article. I agree, but add; the bad years with the Niners included not protecting the quarterback and verbal abuse from Singletary, the worst coach in the NFL.

Firing Singletary turned this team around. Alex is sticking around because a Super Bowl game would erase all the abuse from this team. No Super Bowl and Alex walks.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 6:15 a.m.

Too much talent is a good problem to have. This is the opposite of a quarterback problem.

Harbaugh turned this team around in one season. But, he's starting to look like the overconfident hare.

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    Dec. 5, 2012 12:02 a.m.

@ John Jacob whatever,

Least we're going to a bowl.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 11:13 p.m.

Harbaugh has messed both QB's up. Terrible job of managing QB's. Of course you bring Alex back as soon as he was cleared to play. By doing that you keep both QB's confidence high. You tell Alex he is your guy - as he should be and you tell Kap good job. Kap is not ready mentally and will falter against the good defenses - then what? Too late to bring Smith back his confidence is shot plus his skills are far too rusty. Kap should have been preserved for next season and Smith deserved the shot at the playoffs since he won most of the games this year. Pulling out Kap in the playoffs will kill his confidence going forward. I am betting the 49ers falter in the first round this year and its Harbaugh's fault.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:28 p.m.

Only a BYU fan such as Duckhunter can jump in on a Utah related thread of a BCS school that beat down BYU 54-10 and beat the WAC-Playin Cougars and dare to talk any trash without anything to back it up. Sure you are going to a substandard bowl BYU, but acknowledge that your house is built upon WAC sand.

I would rather be a fan of a BCS school taking its lumps and building up than being complacent and getting fat and happy on WAC teams and LOSING to San Jose State.

49ers would have been in the Superbowl last year had Williams not messed up and turned the ball over twice. The rams have video on Kap and they figured him out, made him panic and as happy feet QBs go, he took off in a panic and gave away the game. Running QBs will only do one thing, get seriously hurt.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:08 p.m.

Is Alex "absolutely awful" as friend Ducky suggests?

Alex Smith QB rankings:

2006 #21 (Just behind #21 Big Ben)
    2009 #19 (Just a head of #20 Matt Ryan)
    2010 #21
    2011 #9
    2012 #5

Alex was disappointment but being a top 10 QB the last two years shows he's capable of leading an NFL team. The 9ers are CK's team now but Alex will be playing somewhere next year.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:05 p.m.

You're dead-on accurate with this, Robinson. All Smith did was overcome seven years of instability in the 49ers organization (I.e. a different offensive coordinator each year, and a different, losing head coach every other year) to finally settle in on a season that led to a NFC championship game. This year he'd again led his team to first place in his division before his injury. Harbaugh has no one to blame but himself if this all blows up in his face.

And duckhunter, give it a rest! You're always the first to pounce on an article about Utah or one of Utah's players. What is the source of your hatred towards all things Utah? You're not a good representation of what true BYU fans are all about.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 10:01 p.m.

@Duckhunter

A quote from you last week;

"…his extremely brief time as a starter has come to an end barring an injury to the vastly superior Kaepernick."

Clearly Kaep is vastly superior … apples to apples (their only common opponent - the Rams) Smith was 7/8 passing for 72 yards with 1 TD (no turnovers) in just over 1 quarter. Meanwhile Kaep went 11/17 passing for 117 yards with 0 TDs and 0 turnovers - though he did fumble twice recovered by his team. Kaep's amazing *cough* stats were accrued in almost 3 quarters of play AND an entire overtime.

Then Kaep goes 21/32 for 208 with no TDs and no interceptions. These stats also include an entire overtime. Kaep grossly overthrows a pitch returned for a TD. He also commits a penalty causing a safety.

Smith's rating against the Rams this year: 143.8
    Kaepernick's ratings against the Rams: 84.3

Another of your quotes … "The running game and defense are what won SF games. He (Smith) just didn't screw it up." - I guess we now know why not screwing it up, is such a big deal.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:58 p.m.

Duckhunter, Utah lost to BYU this year, again, go back to your team who plays WAC weaklings to get to a bowl.

SMoth has been a better QB than any of the BYU rejects of the past 8 years. This was a bad call by Harbaugh and Lap got lucky because the Bears are so dysfunctional and their defense was on the field far too much because Cutler was out. Harbaugh is making a big mistake and it is OBVIOUS to anyone who knows football that Kap gave away that game.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:55 p.m.

@Duckhunter

So you were willing to wait 8 years for smith to do something, anything, halfway decent, despite the fact he was absolutely awful during that time.

-------------

I'm have been waiting for the 9ers to do something halfway decent for 8 years not just Alex Smith. CK lost the game last week and our defense won against New Orleans. CK is the future but Alex gives us a better chance to win THIS year.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:53 p.m.

So Duckhunter, you're trying to say it's a good idea to screw with a team most people saw as a Super Bowl contender by risking the ruining of your qb's confidence and messing with team continuity? I guarantee coaches and NFL management around the league have been laughing to themselves thinking, "wow, we're trying to build a Super Bowl team while San Fran already came a muffed punt away from going last year and looked even better this year, yet they're going to screw with that and start developing for the future? Wow!"
    So you tell me, based on your last comment, you're saying that Utah or San Fran fans should be willing to give Kaep time to grow into his role the same way the organization allowed Smith to grow into the role even though it's evident that Alex has moved past that phase and is primed to lead them to a Super Bowl? Sounds pretty smart to me.
    Bottom line ... humble pie time for you this week after all you had to say last week.

Dec. 4, 2012 9:39 p.m.

@utemiguel

So you were willing to wait 8 years for smith to do something, anything, halfway decent, despite the fact he was absolutely awful during that time, yet you are declaring kaepernick finished after 3 games? Typical utah "fan" hypocrisy on display as usual.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Dec. 4, 2012 9:28 p.m.

I agree with this column 100%, and I hope karma comes back to bite Jim Harbaugh hard with many more regular season losses and an early playoff exit. Kaepernick played great against the Bears but poorly-to-average in his three other opportunities. He is already overrated (if that is possible after only three and half games). Flash in the pan at most.