Sports

Utah Utes basketball: U. offense sputters against SMU

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 30, 2012 10:13 a.m.

If this team is going to play well against respectable opponents, they can't afford to have 3 consecutive possessions without a score, let alone the 7 minute drought they had in this one. Nice comeback attempt at the end, but they left themselves in too big a hole.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 29, 2012 9:24 p.m.

Oh oh did the u play somebody in D1 again? Big mistake!

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 6:21 p.m.

This feels like a y board. I guess I'll be the contrarian. I like the Utes in Provo.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Nov. 29, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Coug fan tx,

Now that's a reasonable prediction. Your earlier prediction that hawes, Davies, and carlino would average a combined 60 pts was ludicrous. You know that by now right?

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Nov. 29, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Young team that hasn't played with each other or in the system long enough to gel the way the team will over the ensuing weeks. I don't see them winning too many more games than they did last year, but I do see them improving. I have faith that the Utes will begin to field competitive teams, how competitive has yet to be seen. Hope is my mantra with the Utes (both in football and basketball).

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 2:22 p.m.

scott,

barring a major injury, we will win 14 or more. if yout hink otherwise, you are catching the box scores and not watching the team.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 29, 2012 1:26 p.m.

utahcountyute

"SMU will be at the HC the next time and the Utes will win. I actually see them going 3-2 or 4-1 in the next 5 games and giving byU all they can handle."

Only in your dreams.

The HC hasn't exactly been a house of horrors for visiting teams for a long time and the Utes could easily get run out of their own gym by CS Northridge.

As for playing BYU in the MC, you've obviously forgotten that we're talking about basketball.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 12:57 p.m.

PACcoug

"Utes could lose 4, if not all 5, of their next 5 games:"

Nothing to hang heads about. SMU will be at the HC the next time and the Utes will win. I actually see them going 3-2 or 4-1 in the next 5 games and giving byU all they can handle.

Go Utes!

• scott Alpine, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Kosta Fesenko

"Looking for 14 wins,"

Good luck with that!

The Utes are playing better this season, but anything more than 10 wins would require significant improvement throughout the season and I just don't see that happening.

6-6 in the preseason and 4 wins in an improved conference is pretty much the upper limit of what this team is capable of.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Nov. 29, 2012 11:10 a.m.

Just about what we should expect when they get outside of the Div. III and high school teams. It will be a long season on the hill. Oh well, at least they can hang their hat on a successful football season. OH WAIT. Then we can look at gymnastics for some ray of hope.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 10:55 a.m.

The guys played hard. Baby steps. Looking for 14 wins, and I think we can do it. Thought we'd get 16, but not seeing it. 2014 is going to be great! Dallin, Jordan, Seymour, Wright, Olsen, Tucker..........not a bad core!

• backpacn Sandy, UT
    Nov. 29, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Looks like another long and frustrating season ahead for the running Utes.

When does spring footbal start?

• PACute_ Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 29, 2012 9:26 a.m.

CougFaninTX

"with this loss I'm raising it to 5 losses which could start to put some heat on Coach k2."

Looking at Utah's upcoming schedule, it's very possible that the Utes could lose 4, if not all 5, of their next 5 games:

at Texas San Antonio (only lost to SMU by 3)
    Boise State (just beat #11 Creighton 83-70)
    at BYU (enough said)
    SMU (see last night's game)
    CS Northridge (only lost at BYU 87-75)

NAIA College of Idaho on December 28th could be Utah's last chance for a win before conference play begins.

A 5-7 or 6-6 pre-season record, with two of those wins coming against D-III and NAIA teams, would really put Coach k2 on the hot seat.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 29, 2012 8:36 a.m.

CougfaninTexas,

I hope they give coach K2 3-4 years. it will take a while to build back. I'm hopeful.

GO UTES
    >---->

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 29, 2012 8:26 a.m.

Pretty sure Krysto is safe...even if the team doesn't reach 12 wins this season (which is about what I think they're capable of), he is still moving it in the right direction. The team is clearly more talented than they were last year and they are a better fundamental basketball team. Plus his recruiting has been excellent given the Utes' circumstances. If coach maintains the current course, he will be just fine.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 29, 2012 7:00 a.m.

I really thought Utah would only have 2 or 3 non-conference losses with this schedule, but with this loss I'm raising it to 5 losses which could start to put some heat on Coach k2.