Opinion

Michael Gerson: Congress could learn much by watching 'Lincoln'

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:09 p.m.

I think congress should also have to see 'romancing the stone'. Movies, like society, used to be a lot more relaxed, mature, and fun. Don't get me wrong, Lincoln is a great film. No car chases, though.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 9:59 p.m.

I'm not usually a fan of Gerson's writing, but he captures this brilliant movie very well. In general, I don't think the fact that an expensive film seeks to make a profit, and employs a marketing staff to achieve is, has anything whatever to do with the quality of the film.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 7:56 p.m.

I went to this film with my young adult children, the youngest had just voted for the first time. All are passionate about politics and the power of the vote. It was a film we all enjoyed - both on a philosophical and an artistic level. We had some wonderful discussions afterward regarding everything from "dirty politics" to Tommy Lee Jones' opportunity to finally win an Oscar. I was encouraged to see other families with older teens and young adults there as well. Many a family had enlightening dinner time conversation for several days. Maple Don, it is too bad you would miss something so worthwhile just to prove someone else wrong.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 7:36 p.m.

I like the short film Mission Accomplished...staring George Bush...a very short film yet loaded with pathos.

Perfect.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 5:28 p.m.

@maple
    So the same way others suggest everyone should see it you make a sweeping claim that it is not worth seeing? do you see any problem with that logic? At least the people saying to go see the movie have actaully botherd viewing it first. I ge tthe feeling that this is more of an issue of not wanting your views challenged by anyone.

• Cincinnatus Kearns, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 4:28 p.m.

MapleDon,

Since you don't like the hype and marketing, maybe you should just read the book instead- "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin- the book the movie was based on.

Oh, wait, maybe you shouldn't read that either- it was a bestselling book in part to the hype and marketing that the publisher, Simon & Schuster, put into it. I guess that makes it a bad book, too.

• Timothy Benton City, WA
    Nov. 28, 2012 2:17 p.m.

This is a wonderful movie and I would suggest that any student of history see it..This will probably be refused because I am insulting non-students of history or a myriad of other reasons which are never explained...Once again,I wrote two very nice comments on this issue that were not printed and no rejection was sent..At the same time inane remarks were allowed that made no sense at all...

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00

Saving Private Ryan
    Flags of Our Fathers
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    and now
    Lincoln

What looser,
    making all those pathetic movies depicting "Normal" people over coming insurmountable odds under extreme circumstances!

I guess you'd rather see old home movies of Aunt Edna's picnic?
    You know, showing people behaving normally!

Bitter because Spielberg is a...a...Democrat, perhaps?!

Sounds more like someone has a political axe to grind....

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:53 p.m.

@Clarissa

This proves my point. Clarissa exemplifies Spielberg's success in marketing. "I believe every American should see it."

Remember Schindler's List? I was repeatedly told "everyone should see it," to which I responded "Why?" The typical counter-response: "Uhhh. I don't know."

No, Clarissa, I don't believe everyone needs to see this or any other film. But Spielberg & Co thank you for repeating what they told you to say--to maximize their profit.

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:28 a.m.

What a wonderful movie. I believe every American should see it. When the movie ended, the audience was completely silent. I had no idea what Lincoln had to go through to get the 13th amendment passed. Every African American should admire him for his sacrifice. I encourage people to see this excellent film, which I hope, wins best picture.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Spielberg runs a very good marketing campaign--and the media is always a very willing accomplice. Whatever the "historical" film Spielberg creates, his marketing people and the willing media tout the film as a "must see". And so it is with this film. And of course, the DesNews also calls it a "must see".

Personally, I find Spielberg's depiction of mankind--no matter what film--to be pathetic. He doesn't know how to show people behaving normally. His films effuse weirdness, to the same level Capra showed patriotism and goodness. Characters behave in unreasonable, bizarre ways that are inconsistent with their environment, as if they're a breath away from insanity.

I don't "need" to see Lincoln, no matter how much the marketing and media people tell me that I do. Nor should any of you feel compelled. The purpose of that marketing ploy isn't to teach history, but to maximize profit.