Sports

Brad Rock: BYU, Utah, Utah State football teams clean up nicely in finales

Comments

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Dec. 1, 2012 10:25 p.m.

oh Utah fans are gonna be mad to have had their stadium referred to as LES! LOL

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Dec. 1, 2012 10:10 p.m.

In the end you can't use game day outcome to determine the better team in the season. Just look at the final records and you will have no trouble saying that USU BYU Utah is how it fanned out this year. Head to head only matters when it comes to tie breaker situations. 7-5 is NEVER better than 10-2 and 5=7 is never better than 7-5...

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Nov. 30, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Two For Flinching

A lopsided score doesn't necessarily prove domination either.

How many times have we seen a basketball team suffer a lopsided defeat in their first game against an opponent, and then return the favor in the rematch? And, that's not just restricted to home courts, sometimes both lopsided wins happen on the opponents' home courts.

It doesn't happen as often in football, simply because there are so few rematches, but it does happen.

Utah's lopsided 2011 win was fueled mainly by seven BYU turnovers. Can you honestly say that BYU couldn't have beaten Utah just as badly in a rematch if the turnover bug had bitten Utah instead of BYU in the second game?

Bottom line, whether close or lopsided, one game does not a season make.

Utah State is the best team in the state this year based on their overall record, not because they beat Utah or lost to BYU.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Duckhunter

Beating a team 6-3 at home is not comparable to beating one 54-10 on the road. I think you're smart enough to understand the difference between a close game and complete domination, but for some reason you still continue to fight it.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 9:24 p.m.

re: Guam_Bomb

err ... would that be Anderson and not Johnson ?

• Teddy Bear Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 28, 2012 7:01 p.m.

Let USU have their time in the sun. They deserve it.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Nov. 28, 2012 5:31 p.m.

It's great to see USU on the rise. I hope Johnson stays in Logan a long time. Given what I have seen the last couple of years, I think he has the talent to build that program into a perennial winner, much like Boise State has been over the last decade. I realize that probably the biggest challenge in keeping him is money as his stock rises. But if he stays and they keep playing the way they're playing he would justify that big salary given the economics of today's game.

As a Utah fan, I would love to see the type of intensity of this years game every year. Despite Utah's disappointing year, I think the quality of football being played in Utah is higher than it's ever been, at all levels.

GO UTES!!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 3:01 p.m.

I tend to think usu is the best team in the state this year despite BYU beating them, but of course no honest utah "fan" can say that. Afterall we have been hearing from them for the last year that utah was the better team last year because they beat BYU even though BYU finished with more wins and a national ranking. Of course they alternately told us that utah was better than colorado last year despite the fact they lost to colorado, at home no less, because utah won more games.

I guess the point is that honesty and consistency are not particularly strong traits in utah "fans".

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 1:12 p.m.

J-TX

"But while we're on the subject of Texas FB, there are 4 TX Div 1 5A High School teams I believe could beat Utah, USU or BYU"

Sorry new TX, but we've heard the same thing many times about the best college basketball and football teams being able to beat the worst NBA and NFL teams.

The glaring hole in that assumption is that EVERY player playing for BYU, Utah, and Utah State is a D-1 college football player, many with 3 or 4 year's experience.

Even the best high school teams aren't composed entirely of D-1 players, and even if they were, it would be like playing an entire team of Freshmen; we've seen time and time again how much young teams struggle in any conference.

Bottom line: Your Texas HS teams would get pounded by bottom dwelling D-1 teams like Colorado.

It would be comical watching Ziggy or Lotulelei wreaking havoc on your "too big for their britches" high school teams.

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 1:08 p.m.

Ifel, I totally understand what you're saying, and I also understand why some don't consider USU the best in the state because they lost to BYU. I personally think the Aggies should've won the last two years (three if you count the one in Logan) but they obviously didn't win and being ranked doesn't change that. But looking at both teams right now, I think USU is the better team. This isn't news, but case in point: San Jose State. I hear people criticize USU's schedule....well, they are in the WAC, thus they play WAC teams. According to BYU, they are superior to WAC teams, yet how many inferior WAC teams did they play? And don't forget Weber...that's even worse. So, even with USU's schedule they are still ranked for a reason. Even though BYU beat them, they aren't ranked. I think that sums it up quite well. None of this really matters, but it's still humorous to watch others attempt to disagree without anything to back them up. Anyway, go Aggies.

• Hoopty6 OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Here is the real deal (from a cougar fan):

There is no way to conclude that USU is the best in the state. Do do so you would first have to define 'best' (which was not done), and then identify those characteristics that made them that. However, they are CLEARLY the most CONSISTENT team this year.

If I had to make a pick, I would vote them as the best in the state right now. They obviously were not the best the night they played BYU, but teams play differently all the time and anything can happen. I don't think you can definitively say, but either way, props to them on a GREAT season, and I hope it continues.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:36 p.m.

AGame... not sure if your comments are directed at me or not... I am on your team, a 100% Aggie fan/alum and LOVE the season we are having.

By "not meaning anything" I meant being best in the state only matters to us here in Utah, our Nationl Rank is not affected by being the best in the state or not.

If you ask me, I say we are best in the state... but I hate we lost to BYU and I understand their argument for us not being the best... although I don't buy it.

Go Aggies!!!

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:24 p.m.

I disagree. The bottom line is that the Aggies are ranked 20th in the nation, which is kind of a big deal for Gary and his team. I think saying that losing to BYU is more important is a little off. Playing BYU isn't as important as some people like to think it is. Of course we would rather have won, but who cares. Just enjoy the moment of USU getting some recognition for once. And if for no other reason, USU is the best team because they are without a doubt the most fun to watch.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:54 a.m.

Its nice to think we are the best in the state but it doesnt really matter... as an Aggie Fan, the bottom line is we DID NOT beat BYU. Close and sloppy game, but we still lost.

Even if we had won, other than settling the arguement, it doesn't really mean anything anyway... maybe next year we can prove it with Utah at LES and BYU at Romney.

As far as J-TX... not that it can ever be proven but I would take any D1 school over any high school team you want.

• canadiancougar624 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:46 a.m.

J-TX:

If you have no ties to UT then why are you commenting on the D News board? I'm calling rubbish.

• awilk7 USA, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:35 a.m.

To 4601, your comment sounds like one coming from an SEC fan...that would it expain everything. It's true, USU is not in the running for a national title, nor are they a recognized football powerhouse, but they have had a remarkable season and deserve the praise that they are receiving. It's ok, they don't need it from you. They will stick with the BCS, AP, people that care about an underdog succeeding...

Though the state of Utah may not have the same football pedigree as, say, Florida or Oklahoma, they have been significant for the past 30 years. This includes a national championship, an argument to be made for a national championship, a Heishman Trophy winner (even Alabama has had only 1 of these), multiple top-10 finishes, BCS bowl wins including multiple bowl wins vs. so-called "elite" conferences...the record speaks for itself.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 28, 2012 11:13 a.m.

awilk7:

I am actually an Oregon fan. Moved to TX from OR 7 years ago......

But while we're on the subject of Texas FB, there are 4 TX Div 1 5A High School teams I believe could beat Utah, USU or BYU...........

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 10:29 a.m.

aggie fans are fighting over the "best in Utah" which is as important as saying we are the best in all 50 states, except for the other 49. Try cashing that at the grocery store. Because of their miserable year ute fans are quick to add that if someone beats us, they must be the best. No one outside the Cache valley cares. Hands down.

• awilk7 USA, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 10:12 a.m.

To J-TX, unless you are a Texas A&M fan, this was perhaps not the best timing for your comment: Utah State is currently higher than Texas in both the AP Poll and ESPN Power Rankings. :) Though this has been a down year for them, BYU also happens to maintain a record of 2-1 vs Texas.

We won't even mention Texas football teams outside of University of Texas-Austin and Texas A&M...

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Utah State is the best football team in the State this year - PERIOD.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 28, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Like a bunch of 1st graders fighting over who is king of the playground, while the 6th graders stand by the fence laughing at them..........

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 9:12 a.m.

Right on Rock.And I'm sorta embarrassed by my fellow Cougs that can't concede the obvious: USU is the best in the state this year! Go Aggies! Stay Anderson!

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:57 a.m.

So do you consider BYU the best team in the state? What about Utah beating BYU? Does that make Utah the best team? It goes on forever. Looking at things currently, USU is the best team. Pretty simple.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 8:26 a.m.

You all forget that there was a football game between BYU and USU. BYU won.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:13 p.m.

This year for USU was both fantastic and a nightmare for its fans. Their overwhelming success will probably lose them their number one reason for that success: Gary Andersen.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:42 p.m.

Utah State is hands down the best team in the state this year really not much of an argument can be made otherwise.

Both Utah and byu were not very good this year. Give credit where credit is due USU had a good year and I expect they will be good next year as well unless Gary Anderson accepts an offer from another school.

• The A Game Sandy, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:09 p.m.

Linus,

You are wrong on several accounts. You're okay labeling Notre Dame as number one, but you won't acknowledge that a ranked Utah State is better than an unranked BYU? The same reasoning you use about the Boise State and Notre Dame game goes the exact same way for Utah State playing BYU. If they just did this....or just did that....Utah State would've won. You can argue with yourself about what-ifs, but you have to play it both ways. If you can do simple math, Utah State is better than BYU. It's okay to concede....even if it is (not so) mighty BYU.

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:07 p.m.

Nice column, Rock.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:41 p.m.

Wrong Linus

It was in Provo that your mighty Kittens beat USU, are also the only team in Utah in the national rankings. They also know who their qb is as well as running back. Also, look who has the best defense and offense in the state. Look at the opponents in common, all USU! And to make you feel a little better, the Kitties did win one good game this year, the Aggies.

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:39 p.m.

Sorry, that logic can be flawed. Yes, BYU was better on the given day, just like Utah was better on the given day they beat us (BYU), and just like Utah State was better on a given day against Utah. All in all, at minimum we BYU fans have to at least concede a three-way tie. They were all extremely close games. Considering Utah State and BYU also both played SJSU at their stadium and Utah State came out on top easily whereas BYU got beat, the edge may even go to them.
    As a BYU fan, I therefore humbly admit that Utah State, in my eyes, was the best football team in the state.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:57 p.m.

Sorry, Brad, but I can't agree that USU was the best team in the state. How can you tell that one team is better than another? How about having a football game between the two? Am I wrong, or did BYU beat USU in Logan? Did BYU lose to Boise State by only one point when BYU could have tied BSU by the simple decision to go for one instead of two on points after a touchdown? Did BYU lose to the Nation's Number One and undefeated team, Notre Dame, by only three points after an errant BYU pass missed a wide-open receiver in the fourth quarter?

I congratulate Utah State for a great year. But as a proponent of a national play-off, I will always go with a head-to-head contest on the field to select the better team.