Sports

Dick Harmon: BYU basketball recruits hang out in Provo with prep sensation Jabari Parker

Comments

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 3, 2012 3:34 p.m.

He shouldn't limit himself, BYU-H is a good program and I'm sure he'd have a good time out there!

• JParkerfan St. George, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 1:01 p.m.

If the profanity was so bad in those church ball games why didn't you guys take a stand and do something about it. Maybe that was part of the problem?
    I'm from Southern Utah and where I grew up that wouldn't have been tolerated.

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:53 p.m.

c'mon down, Jabari!

• hamaca Baton Rouge, LA
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:09 p.m.

I don't think how many players a school has succeeding in the NBA is a factor in the chances a Jabari or any player has to succeed in the NBA. They will succeed or fail on their own merits, not because their school has 2 or 20 players in the NBA.

Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone, 2nd round pick Paul Millsap, Gordon Hayward, and many others sure didn't need an elite school to facilitate their success in the NBA. Conversely, there are plenty of busts that were high draft picks from elite schools.

Jabari will be Jabari wherever he goes.

• 56chevy dana point , CA
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:51 p.m.

I think Parker is leaning toward a mission after his 18th birthday next spring. If he does go on a mission, I think the Cougs get him for sure when he comes home. The fit at BYU after a mission is going to be a lot more comfortable. Also, where he goes to school is not going to determine his success in the NBA. He already has the skill set. He's coming to BYU .......count on it.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:21 p.m.

Why are we worrying about profanity surrounding a young basketball player. I'm sure he's heard that in Church ball game. That's where I learned to profane. I thought that was the norm grammatically in church ball game. After all, isn't that what we call "lighten up".

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 5:20 p.m.

my vote is serve a mission then go to school wherever. I'd love to see him come to the Y but he'll do well wherever he goes.
    Gary

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 27, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Having him hang out with some of the other signees was an excellent strategy. These are the guys he'll be playing with if he decides to come. I think they will carry a lot of weight in his ultimate decision.

I, too, used to think there was no chance he'd commit to BYU. Now I'm thinking 50/50 or better.

• JParkerfan St. George, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 3:31 p.m.

I spent 2 hours talking with a current ACC official. He told me the worst coaches in the league for profanity are/were Mike K, Gary Williams. Maybe it isn't a big deal but I wouldn't want my son in that environment with the coach.

Read the post. For the quality of recruits that Izzo has gotten over the last 15 years, not one has had a decent career in the league. I'm not comparing MSU to BYU,(i.e number of current NBA players)i'm only stating that going to MSU isn't that great for his basketball career. He should have gone to UNC if that were his number 1 priority. Look at the number of highly successful NBA players that went to UNC. No one, even Duke, is even close.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 1:30 p.m.

There's no question that Jabari had legitimate reasons for including each of the schools in his final five list; the only question now is how high on Jabari's list are each of those reasons and which school does Jabari feel will be the best fit for him personally.

Since every one of the schools in question has a solid basketball program, the question of which school has the "best" basketball program may not even be a consideration for Jabari at this point in his decision-making process.

Culture, location, and family ties to a particular school may play a much bigger role in his final decision than simply having a great basketball program.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Profanity will be heard in abundance by Parker no matter where he plays. I played college basketball and whether it be teammates, coaches, opposition, you will here plenty of 4 letter words. It comes with the territory. Big deal.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 12:51 p.m.

Jabari and BYU would be a great mix. But Jabari has to do what is best for Jabari and I'll respect his decision. BUT PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COME!

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 12:15 p.m.

JParkerfan

Duke vs BYU in basketball recruiting. Profanity goes with the game, some more some less. The most foul monthed, dirty games I ever played in were church BB games. Don't think a big old F-Bomb doesn't ever come out of someone from the Y, I have played against it, I have coached against it, have have heard people from byu with "potty" mouths. He is one of the top recruits in the country and Duke is on his list, I keep saying for the kid no-brainer. Even if coach K does say a four letter word every now and then.

• #utesnation Centerville, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:54 a.m.

@jparkerfan

Really? you wouldn't send your kid to play with potentially the greatest college basketball coach to ever coach the game, because you're afraid the coach might swear at him?
    I'm a utah fan, but i still think it would be sweet to have the #1 recruit playing in utah. However, I think he'd be crazy to turn down Coach K.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:49 a.m.

"Michigan State as a better option for basketball? Who do they have in the NBA?"

Fan:

I can't say who, but according to RPIratingsdotcom MSU had 5 former players in 2012-13 opening NBA rosters, exactly 5 times more than BYU. I'd say 5x qualifies as "far better."

Parker isn't being stupid about the long term consequences of his options.

• NC Rick Chapel Hill, NC
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:23 a.m.

@JParkerfan Um, 15 straight NCAA tourney appearances, eight final fours, two national championships, home of one of the greatest ever (Magic). Coach Izzo is a total class act. Pretty much every game on TV. And E. Lansing is a little over three hour drive from Chicago. And oh yeah, five players currently on NBA rosters (that is more than one). MSU is clearly a great option for Jabari. But I (like you) still hopes he picks BYU! He could make the Cougs a legit Final Four contender.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 27, 2012 10:43 a.m.

IDC: I agree. SHawn Bradley's experience is a prime example. He never reached his full potential -- in my opinion -- because he should have taken at least one year of college ball before going pro after his mission.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 27, 2012 10:01 a.m.

@JParkerfan,

I live on the east coast and though I don't follow Duke basketball regularly, I watched a lot of their games against our Va teams and never once have I seen or heard Coach K. use profanity, let alone on a regular basis around his players. A profanity laden Coach K? Where on earth do you come off with such strong accusations? I'm not saying he never did. I'm just saying I never saw or heard it. Now it's possible he may have at times lost his cool but what coach hasn't experience that during his/her career? And even he did, what proof do you have that having Jabari with his positive influence around won't be a positive thing for him and his program? We never know but that lives will be touched and influenced for good. Ever heard of Manti Te'o? He's doing that at Notre Dame, and aren't we all proud of him for that? I'd love to see JParker in Cougar Blue but if he decides to go somewhere else, I'll still be rooting for him.

Go Cougar!

• IDC Boise, ID
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:05 a.m.

I hope he goes to BYU but it would be a cool story if he went on a mission and then straight into the NBA. Then again, I don't know if anyones legs could make a jump from a mission to an NBA season without serious issues.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:59 a.m.

I have no idea what Parker is thinking but believe he will narrow the other 4 schools down to one and then compare to BYU; because of the type of kid he is, his mother and his religion. Coach Rose is a terrific coach for Jabari because he'll allow Jabari to excel. So I think the Y has a 50% chance, FWIW.

• JParkerfan St. George, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:48 a.m.

MSU only has 1 thing going for them. Proximity! Who do they have in the league that is doing well? They certainly have had many more high profile recruits than BYU so all the haters can save their fingers and not compare the two.
    Duke certainly has a better history in this area but they aren't Kentucky or UNC. If that were his criteria then he would have gone to one of those schools. Besides, do you really want to be around the profanity laden Coach K for a year? Not if he was my kid.
    Go to BYU and be the biggest thing ever, not just another top recruit who will be soon forgotten.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:19 a.m.

I would give BYU no chance if it weren't for the fact that Jimmer got plenty of attention as POY two seasons ago, BYU has become a tournament regular, and the 2013 recruiting class is ranked in the Top 20 with or without Parker. I'd put BYU's chances at better than 20% (five schools remain in the hunt).

• JParkerfan St. George, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:40 a.m.

Michigan State as a better option for basketball? Who do they have in the NBA? It's not like we're talking Kentucky or UNC!!!! Duke is better at preparing NBA players, but then he'd have to put himself in the position to listen to the foul mouthed Coach K. I would prefer my LDS kid to not be subjected to constant profanity from his coach. Come to BYU and be the biggest thing ever vs. just another top recruit.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:35 a.m.

Eastcoastcoug: A legitimate point. Having been raised in the Midwest, it was culture shock to be in Provo. Personally, living in Utah was OK as long as I was going to school, but I know there is no way I could live in Utah under other circumstances.

CougfaninTX: I agree. I am convinced that Jabari is truly considering BYU. Not only is it the best mix of basketball, academics, spirituality -- and as someone else pointed out on another occasion lots more Mormon girls -- I think he is seriously considering serving a mission and BYU/Coach Rose knows how to deal with that.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:09 a.m.

Of his list of five, Duke and Michigan State are probably his best options if basketball is his only priority. Stanford is the best option if education is his top priority. But BYU probably offers the most well rounded opportunity - a BB team that is already very good and easily a Top 25 or better with Jabari on board. Regardless of what some trolls think, BYU offers a great social environment. And depending on his field of study, BYU has a strong national reputation for education. And it seems like Jabari is looking for the total package.

A few months ago, I thought it was a real long shot. But the more I read, including comments from his high school coach, the more I think BYU has a legitimate shot.

I think Jabari has a better shot at capturing national spotlight at BYU, like Jimmer. Whether or not he goes to Duke, they will be a Top 10 team. He has an opportunity to transform BYU from a good program to a great program. He and Tyler could average 50 points a game.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:11 a.m.

Jabari is awesome and will be a success wherever he goes. Too bad there were just kids from one local high school (albeit stars) to hang out with at the game. It would have been good to have a mix of Midwest/East Coast kids to hang with. Most Utah kids don't know what it's really like outside of Utah and can't relate to Jabari's home life.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 10:49 p.m.

I hope he comes but either way I wish him the best. I haven't heard a single negative thing about him as a player or a person. He'll be a great ambassador, he already is a great ambassador, for our religion wherever he goes and whatever he decides to do.