U.S. & World

In an election year, turkey, pie and politics can result in family strife

Comments

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Nov. 22, 2012 1:18 p.m.

In an election year turkey and pie can also result in gratitude for life's blessings. Why would I focus on anything else today?

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 22, 2012 12:37 p.m.

I am an equal political party critic. I agree with others who have said that you dont let political discussions ruin family gatherings or church associations. It is not like that conversation is going to change anything anyway.

Like many independant voters, I need elements of both parties to limit the extremes of both parties. The thing I would hope we could do is move forward instead of log jam in place. We dont need any politicians if all we are going to do is stay where we are.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 22, 2012 11:04 a.m.

I'm used to it, so when it comes up during family time it does not get my goat anymore.

I have to deal with sort of garbage weekly listening to all the members and their over the top comments at Church about the latest Glenn Beck or Mitt Romney WhiteHorse prophecy rhetoric.
    or
    about how we should be using military actions for this, that and the other thing.

Ironically, it's all those who never served in the military who clamor for wars,
    and becasue I did - I don't.

BTW - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2012 10:42 a.m.

The first couple of comments demonstrate the problem very well!

• Janet Ontario, OR
    Nov. 22, 2012 10:15 a.m.

@NeilT: Right on! I was once invited to dinner by a good friend. The meal was great, and the chatter was light, until the end. Then she challenged me to defend our Church's support of Prop 8, about which she was steaming. It was very awkward, but I did my best to show respect for her views and for the views of the General Authorities. It's best to lay ground rules before a family or friends gathering where there will be political diversity: "No political talk today -- period -- agreed?"

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 22, 2012 9:15 a.m.

last Sunday at a singles ward function I lady brought up the petition to secede, I told her I wasn't going to sign it and said I thought it was ridiculous. She called Obama a marxist. I am not a liberal or Obama supporter. I just think things are getting out of hand. I am not buying all the anti Obama rhetoric. I decided to walk away and keep the peace. The Obama haters are convinced it is all about free stuff. You can't reason with them. I have given up trying. I have never seen our country so polarized. I have decided to avod political discussions with friends and family. It is best just to let people spout off and keep the peace.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 22, 2012 8:34 a.m.

@one vote

It was higher taxes that sparked the American Revolution, was it not? Also, you make it sound like it was just liberals at the first Thanksgiving, but that could not have been the case. There wasn't a department of Agriculture to provide the bounty yet. How would they have obtained food? Nobody would have had a gun to kill the main course? If they were all liberals at the first Thanksgiving, they would have starved. (I don't think they had Tofu yet.)

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2012 7:42 a.m.

The pilgrims and Indians did not have to deal with the conservative relative. He was back in England kissing up to the King asking for no taxes on the the wealthy land holders.