Sports

Mike Sorensen: Too bad Cougars and Utes aren't playing each other this week

Comments

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 21, 2012 9:44 a.m.

gdog3finally

"BYU played two more penciled in wins than Utah did. That's the difference between the red and blue swapping 7-5 for 5-7 the other way."

As has already been discussed on another blog, that's pure speculation on your part. You have absolutely no proof that Utah would have finished any better than 5-7 even if the Utes had played BYU's schedule.

Neither BYU nor Utah had stellar seasons, but it's obvious to any objective observer that BYU has accomplished marginally more this season, than Utah.

The Cougars lost four games by a total of 13 points to some very good teams all on the road and, the Cougars had a decent chance well into the 4th quarter of winning every game they lost. In four of BYU's losses, one play could have turned the loss into a win.

btw, be careful not to fall asleep in Boulder - finishing another regular season with a loss to 10-loss Colorado would be beyond humiliating, it might even set some sort of "power conference" record for futility.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 21, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Meadow Lark Mark
    IDAHO FALLS, ID
    I think the Utah Byu rivalery is over. BYU hasn't been interested in the game for the last 3 years. My hats off to Utah. They are the only one who took the game seriously. I'm glad for a couple of years off for the heated feelings demonstrated by some to hopefully cool off. Honestly I wish both schools the best. This has been a disappointing year for both schools.

It is interesting that Utah joined an AQ conference yet it was Utah who has come out hungry in this game since...that said, the game really does have little meaning moving forward unless you like to fight with your neighbors. For those of you who do, I'm sorry to see it go.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 21, 2012 9:07 a.m.

“Utah didn't beat anybody of consequence this year unless you count BYU. In turn, BYU beat one team of consequence. That being USU. Sorry but the Georgia Tech game is no different than Utah beating California. All the quality teams on both teams schedules were losses this year.”

gdog3finally – I’ll applaud the attempted objectivity in that post however Georgia Tech is playing in their conference championship game. This is also a BCS AQ conference, something very near and dear to the heart of Ute fans.

Cal? They’re a cut above New Mexico St. and have all of three wins. Sorry but, this is not even comparable.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 20, 2012 4:57 p.m.

The trash talk from BYU fans about Utah's woes is hypocritical. Utah is labelled the team who only wants BYU to lose. Irony; BYU is having an awful year themselves, and seeking joy joy in Utah losing. That is not what BYU represents fellas.

BYU and Utah beat nobody of consequence this year except one other instate foe. Utah beat BYU, BYU beat Utah State, and Utah State beat Utah. The Aggies, Utes and Cougars went 1-1 against each other. USU is the best program in the state but their overall record is much better because they play the softest schedule. Bottom line, looking at the head to head games, each ended with one play that could have seen all three teams either be 2-0 or 0-2 against each other.

BYU and Utah played tough teams, but lost those games. BYU played a solid game against Notre Dame (the Irish are lucky their gamble to rest their starting QB one more week against BYU didn't ruin their magical season)

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 9:08 a.m.

pebbles

Utah DESPERATEY needs to play BYU; just as during the WAC era, BYU has once again become Utah's bowl game.

Utah's wins over BYU the last couple of years are the ONLY bright spots in the otherwise utterly barren wasteland of Utah's life in the PAC.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:55 a.m.

StGtoSLC

Real fans don't simply celebrate successes, but blindly ignore failures. They objectivey evaluate progress and criticize when deserved.

It's true that Utah did have a couple of breakthrough seasons in 2004 and 2008, but objectively evaluating both seasons:

In 2004, Utah had a very good team that dominated a bunch of weak opponents, but didn't beat a single "good" opponent during the regular season or in the Fiesta Bowl.

In 2008, Utah also had a very good team, though in my opinion not as good s 2004, that barely survived beating some very mediocre teams on the road, and was fortunate to play all of their tough regular season opponents at home. The Utes finished with a good win over a great Alabama team, that quite obviously never took the Utes seriously.

Unfortunately, Utah has never done anything to prove that they can sustain the momemtum neccessary to be competitive in the PAC 12. Lots of hype, but no substance to Utah fan boasting that the Utes were ready to compete on equal footing with the big boys of the conference.

Instead of wishful chest-beating, I'm still waiting for Utah to DO SOMETHING in the PAC.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:03 p.m.

No reason for Utah to play the mid major Cougs anymore. Domination by Utah the last decade and overall leaves Utah nothing to prove. Besides the Utes would rather play BCS teams this time of year while BYU would rather play their type of team (WAC). It sounds like congratulations are in order, back to the Mt. West/Worst is a possibly for BYU I hear; I guess it is a step up from being a common law member of the WAC.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 9:41 p.m.

Personally, I wouldn't care if BYU never played Utah, it's an ugly hate fest that needs to die. I'm hoping Utah refuses to schedule BYU ever again and goes 4-6 every year in the Pac-12

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 8:01 p.m.

Ufan, real fans support their team through wins and losses, trolls rejoice in a team's failing and deride their successes. You, sir, are a troll, regardless of where you claim to have graduated from.

• Eddie Would Go FPO, AE
    Nov. 19, 2012 5:51 p.m.

CougFaninTX,

You make is sound like Nelson wanted to come out of the game, but his coaches and trainer wouldn't let him. I doubt that's how it played out.

Nelson, as you said, is a "20+ year old kid." He is 24 years old. That makes him an adult. He probably makes a lot of decisions without his parents input, and whether to stay in the game or not was probably one of them.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 19, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Who am I sir?

LOL!

The ONLY "opportunity" that playing your "bcs conference rival" gives you is another chance to be thoroughly embarrassed by losing to the same 10-loss team in back-to-back seasons.

Only a completely delusional fan would think that beating any 10-loss team is meaningful.

btw, BYU is headed to the Poinsettia Bowl; Utah is headed to the Coach Potato Bowl; Utah State is headed to a conference championship.

BYU may have to re-think it's plans to keep conference bottom dwellers like Utah on its schedule.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 2:54 p.m.

Sorrenson still wishing rivalry would continue if it was this Saturday - Realy?

I have a bad feeling maybe ND going to lose to USC and we will see two SEC playing for NC. Better not happen because ND will go for lawsuite or will they?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 19, 2012 2:07 p.m.

I'm not sure who to blame - Mendenhall, Doman or the trainer (all three are at fault). But it is unconscionable that these three individuals would let a severely injured Nelson play against Utah, Boise St or the fourth quarter of the SJSU game. To risk permanent injury to a 20+ year old kid is beyond belief.

If I was Riley's parents, I would have been livid to see him grimacing in pain and have the coaches put him back in the game. We hear rumors about some college coaches who abuse their players (i.e. Leech and others). To me, this was beyond abuse.

I also happen to belief that any of our non-injured QBs could have won all three of these games.

For his own good (first and foremost) and the good of the team, I hope Nelson will hang up his cleats and not risk further injury. I'm hoping to see Lark as the starter against NMSU and in the Poinsetta.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 1:53 p.m.

This week is the week of rivalry games. While it is true if Utah and BYU were playing it would be a game of local interest and with two evenly matched teams. However, Utah's game against our conference rival gives us a chance to 1) get even for last years loss 2) put Colorado firmly at the bottom of the PAC-12 South and 3) give Utah a chance to win against a BCS team. It is a conference game... I wouldn't trade it for any not conference game at this time of year. The pre-conference games are for games such as BYU!

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    Nov. 19, 2012 1:29 p.m.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 19, 2012 12:38 p.m.

It would be nice, atleast one of them would get a win.

• chubbuckidahocougfan Chubbuck, Idaho
    Nov. 19, 2012 12:15 p.m.

Good thing BYU isn't playing Utah this week. It would be another beat down filled with turnovers, mismanagement of timeouts, penalties, and erratic QB play. I'm grateful during this time of year that I don't have to torture myself with another BYU meltdown against the Utes!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 19, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Who on earth would want to watch Utah vs BYU this year? Nobody will be watching either team Saturday. Forget about the "rivalry". It's gone. Nobody outside of Utah cares. Both teams stink and Utah will be a PAC12 bottom feeder for years to come.

My Cougar Club son-in-law cut off his donations and will not be attending the Poinsettia Bowl either. I'll probably go to the the game, since it's is close, but if I see Riley Nelson starting, I'll have my barf bag ready.

No way Riley Nelson beats Rocky Long's defense.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 11:31 a.m.

StGtoSLC

Sorry my crimson glasses wearing friend, but I'm not only a Utah fan, I'm also a Utah grad. I'm just not a blind red koolaid drinking Utah fan who refuses to accept reality. Utah simply caught a lucky break being in the right place, at the right time, with the right "academics and culture" to snare a PAC 12 invite. If the decision had been based purely on athletic performance, there's no question that BYU would have been invited with or instead of Utah, because BYU's overall football accomplishments make Utah's overall football accomplishments pale by comparison.

I do have to admit that it's nice to see some of the hot air being let out of some of my fellow Utah fans, although I fully expect their delusional boasting to begin again soon.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Nov. 19, 2012 11:28 a.m.

I would have never guessed either team would have struggled like they both have this year. I think both teams need to look long and hard at their coaches, top to bottom, to ensure that they have the right people doing the right things to win. I am not singling out anyone on either team, nor do I want to be negative. Rather, both teams and their fans deserve better than what we received this year. If the Utes struggled this year, it is going to be a very challenging year with Stanford and Oregon on their schedule. Likewise, if the Y doesn't improve, their schedule next year will be a lot more daunting. I am happy that Utah State performed well. Go Utes!!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:42 a.m.

DC,

The point here is the SEC seldom plays tough out of conference games, certainly not on the road. On top of that, they schedule 8 conference games versus 9. It's a joke if you really think it through.
    Bottom line, several of the highly ranked teams you speak of are there out of conference reputation/affiliation. When an entire conference is highly ranked to begin a season and then only play each other, it's a no lose situation. I don't blame the SEC, they know they have a good thing going, why risk anything by changing? This is exactly why there shouldn't be polls of any kind until mid-season. If that were the case, teams would get noticed for quality out of conference wins and their first few conference games. Bias would still exist, but that system would at least get rid of some of it.
    I'm not saying the SEC isn't the best conference in the land, it probably is ... but until I see them playing tough teams on the road I'd rather see them kept out of major bowl games ... too bad for me.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:39 a.m.

Get over it, Mike. That ship sailed long ago.

BYU_Aggie, Ufan is not a Utah fan, he/she is a troll that draws constant, unrelated comparisons of Utah to BYU.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:21 a.m.

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful that my Thanksgiving won't be ruined by my insufferable BYU-loving relatives prattling on and on about how bad BYU is going to beat Utah this Saturday, how they are the best 6-5 team in the nation, how they are just 7 or 8 plays away from being undefeated, how next year BYU will be in the national championship picture, etc. So no, Mike, I don't agree...I'm glad the annual beating took place in September and soon it will be gone altogether.

• BYU_Aggie LOGAN, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Ufan: Your "new" rival, huh? Just because somebody once said somewhere during conference realignment that the U and CU are rivals now, doesn't make it so. Ask anyone in Boulder, and they'll tell you that Nebraska, Colorado State, or even Northern Colorado are their rivals before anyone mentions U.

I for one will really miss the Utah/BYU game this week. That, on top of Thanksgiving (and the old Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry game), used to make this the best week of the year for my family and I. Even with both teams having mediocre seasons, it still would have been worth watching, even on the national scale, IMO.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 9:12 a.m.

Like the old saying, "Who is buried in Grants Tomb-nobody". Who would win this game if it were to be played? Nobody!

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 8:07 a.m.

Mike

We're closing out ourseason at our new rival, Colorado, with a chance for a little payback from last season's embarrassment. What more could we ask for after such a disappointing season?

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Nov. 19, 2012 6:43 a.m.

Did you really just argue that the SEC has it easy because they only play 8 league games? I think that's the first time I've ever heard that. Never mind that Bama has played 4 ranked teams, two in the top 10, and will have to play the #3 ranked Bulldogs to go to the championship. Yes, the SEC is a bit weaker than it was last year, but overall the SEC has 6 ranked teams, 5 of which are in the top 10. It's a tough league, and even one of their worst teams won the NC a few years back.

And why complain about the SEC getting to the championship game? Every time they have gone in recent history, they've won, so arguing that they have an easier path to a game that they usually win doesn't mean much - they still win.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 19, 2012 1:51 a.m.

with the season a huge downer for both schools, the rivalry game would be sweet if not bitter this week.

BYU and Utah are not good football teams. The head to head game could have gone the other way, but they are equally bad. If Utah played the same schedule as BYU they would be 7-5 instead of 5-7. Dare I give Utah the Colorado game? I will give BYU the New Mexico State game (obviously). So they will finish 7-5. With Utah's schedule I think they swap with Utah at 5-7 as well.

Here is my breakdown. Utah had a patsy in Washington State but BYU played them as well (wash). Utah has Colorado and Northern Colorado (bad teams). BYU has four of those (not two). Weber State, Hawaii, Idaho, and New Mexico State equals four bad teams.