And the winner in the 2012 presidential election is ... the Mormon church

• IMAN Marlborough, MA
    Nov. 21, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Re:very concerned
    I truely appreciated your thoughtful and civil responses to the questions I posed.

• Free Agency Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2012 12:41 p.m.

I was amazed at David Banack's statement that President Obama showed "restraint" in not bringing up Romney's Mormonism during the campaign.

I don't think Banack has a very realistic perception of Obama (perhaps because Banack is on the other side politically?).

I can't in a million years imagine Obama bringing up someone's religion as a negative factor (i.e., "why you should vote for *me* instead"). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall hearing any Democrat portraying Romney's Mormonism as a negative.

No, that seems to have been strictly in the Republican camp--specifically, many evangelicals. They finally "accepted" Romney's Mormonism because of their "anyone but Obama" desire.

If I were the Mormon Church, I wouldn't bask too much in the "acceptance" of a lot of the people who once castigated the Church. I suspect that many of them will return to their same theological castigation now that their "acceptable" candidate lost.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 19, 2012 11:32 a.m.

JParkerfan - really.... there were no gifts being offered byt he other side. No tax breaks for all. No tax elimination for people who like Romney make 100 percent of their income off of long term capital gains. Yes, there are fewer millionaires out there than people who make normal incomes.

This whole blaming the other side for ones own loss, rather than taking responsibility for not articulating a plan that people could follow is a sure sign of lack of leadership. That is what leaders do - they lead people to do the "hard" thing. Anyone can do the easy thing - no leadership required. Romney failed to inspire people to do the hard thing... and so he lost. Plain and simple. The buck stops there.

It was a great experience for the church. My son serves in a former soviet block nation as a missionary. People wanted to know more. He had lots of discussions about the church because of it.

But I am glad he lost, because politics is an ugly business, and the church doesn't need that kind of stain on it. You look at how LDS people talk about their fellow brothers and sisters here

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 18, 2012 3:41 p.m.

With romney's defeat, the LDS Church definitely won. Thanfully Romney will not be a visible "represenetative" of the Church (granted, if he had been elected President, he would not be an OFFICIAL representative o the Church but he would have been held up as an example). The dishonesty and lack of truth found in Romney's campaign, and in his life, is NOT what the Church is all about.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2012 7:35 a.m.

@atl134 abd Pragmatist
    The "Repiblicans are racist" meme is merely your brand of race baiting
    you ascribe intolerance to others in order to rationalize your own
    (why dont you consider Obama racist because white Sandy victims have been critical of his response? oh yea - its a one way street)

• JParkerfan St. George, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:29 p.m.

Romney's "gifts" comments were spot on and 100% accurate. That is how BHO won the election. (along with running the dirtiest campaign in history). Anyone " running away" from those comments is just trying to be a good politician. We need more people to tell us the truth and not be afraid of the political correctness crowd.

• theodoreable Heber City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 7:47 p.m.

as it relates to pragmatistferlife....

you mean we should talk to the 51% on welfare that were promised lots of help and given free phones and more?
    you mean we should talk to the 51% that were promised Gay Marriage would be fought and NOW backed off from?
    you mean we should talk to the 51% that are the only Ding Dong's left in the US after Hostess' BK today?
    you mean we should talk to the 51% that don't pay taxes (did you know it is almost that much and we have to make up for them)?
    you mean we should talk to the 51% that are now going to be waiting in line to die @ the hospital? (i have lived in 2 socialist countries for many years and have seen it first hand)!!!

Yep..those are the smart ones....the 51%

We now live in the USSR even more than ever...you know the 51% that want the United States Socialist Republic to come to pass

Nov. 16, 2012 7:17 p.m.

I think Mitt Romney and his family did a great service not only the the Mormon church but to all of us. As a professional woman in a male dominated field I heard many, many positive comments about Mitt Romney and the strong moral and family values that he demonstrated. Again and again I would hear what a good man he is and many would comment about something new they had learned about our church.
    now that the election is over I am sad that Mitt was not elected but I chose to be positive and will continue to try and be a good citizen and neighbor to all. May God bless the United States and each one of us who believes and supports this wonderful country.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:58 p.m.

To pragmatistferlife: By your comments it seemed you were watching with your eyes and ears closed because Mitt Romney never said or did anything that was dishonest. As far as Harry Reid your comments would match him perfectly. I don't understand why the public is so intimidated by the truth and a good man like Mitt. We believe in God and His son Jesus Christ who atoned for our sins. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints strive to be morally clean, truthful, kind, caring and willing to help others. We have a testimony of what truly is the TRUTH. There is always a solid reason why things in life do not turn out the way we wanted them, sometimes it is not the Lords will.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:56 p.m.

I'm going to go ahead and say the vast majority of Americans still think it's totally weird.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:54 p.m.

Very concerned: It took me a long time to embrace a plausible reality. While the BYU football team would like to win every game it plays and all the accolades that would come with an 'earned' championship that is not their number one priority. Their priority is to represent in a positive light the religion that runs the university. Wins will come to those who do things right. Sure, we may not play the toughest schedule, but neither do those affiliated with conferences. I'm sorry but if they were all that teams roof to cellar would be over .500. During the coaches show with Bronco on Sunday I could finally see, through the reaction to the brawlers that there really is more of a push to be different and visible than to win with run of the mill students that are spit images of other campuses. It is fundamentally crass to think that the BYU football team will ever go away for as long as the sport is upon this landscape known as the US of A.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:44 p.m.

Amen Truth! Let's just hope that people outside of Nevada will forget about his religious affiliation! Nevadans won't, but they are hardly a threat to politics....

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Nov. 16, 2012 5:54 p.m.

As a person that was born and lived most of my life in the United States and now holds dual citizensip with Australia I am very aware of the tax exempt status, it exsits in both countries. As you probably know the LDS Church remains neutral in all elections. Yes there are issues that effect what we believe in and when those issues come up we like every other church and organizations have a right an duty to let our feels known be known. That is why we have the legislative branch of government, they are suppose to represent the will of the people. Like every other church and organization we lobby for our ideals. You can not seperate peoples beliefs from politics.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 5:25 p.m.

Religion has no place in politics. Churches should always lose elections.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 16, 2012 5:06 p.m.

I believe this election was decided on the basis of policies and leadership not religion or race. For that reason I think we all won.

• bobdc6 park city, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 4:33 p.m.

True, but what I'm talking about is a religious organization taking an official position, and making that position clear to it's members with the intent of influencing political outcomes. In the US, this action alone is enough for that religious organization to lose it's tax exempt status.

Nov. 16, 2012 2:12 p.m.

The Billy Graham Association only took Mormonism off their cult list as a strategy to get Obama out! don't fool yourselves! Mormonism will never be embraced by the
    "true church" which consists of a world wide group of bible believing born again followers of Jesus Christ, also known as the body of Christ...
    The true Christian is indwelt by the Lord Jesus (John 14:23) through the Holy Spirit. Therefore, the Christian church is figuratively said to be the body of Christ.

Rom. 12:5, "So we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another."
    Eph. 4:12, "For the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ."

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Nov. 16, 2012 1:52 p.m.

park city, UT

The world would be a better place if organized religion would stay out of politics.

That would be very hard since almost every member of government anywhere in the world is a member of some sort of organized religion. Peoples values are based on their beliefs so that is part of what they look for in their political leaders. Religion is part of the political landscape but should never be the entire focus.

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 1:10 p.m.

Well, I can tell you who didn't win in this election. The entire middle class. All the middle class people who voted for Obama are in for a rude awakening. Better tighten your belts. Most the rich will probably have enough money to soften the blow if they are smart with their money. However they are going to have a lot less of it by 2016. The poor will remain poor. The middle class are going to get absolutely clobbered.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Nov. 16, 2012 12:53 p.m.

The DN message board provides evidence that there's still plenty of road ahead!

In places where the LDS Church is prevalent, I believe it's probably more challenging, because:
    1) the population in general is more likely to know the tenets of the Church, and eager to point out any deviations
    2) more Mormons = more BAD Mormons. (There are bad Christians, bad Muslims, bad Mormons - they all give their religion a black eye!)
    3) People are afraid, rightfully or not, of the influence wielded by the Mormon bloc.

The best thing we can do is PROVE by our actions - loving our God and our fellow men - that we are Christian in every sense of the word. Keep the faith, brothers and sisters!

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Nov. 16, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Always amusing to see the "intolerance" expressed here by the same short list of people.
    Especially those who live in another state, but search articles on the DN.
    Must be a boring way to spend your day.

The LDS church is so far past the boring white Utah male that someone tried to attach to the church's image the other day on here.
    I attend a Spanish ward here in Phoenix.
    There are other Spanish wards that meet nearby.
    The church has become so diverse and blended and I love seeing proof of that with new temples being built in other countries.

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 12:36 p.m.

I understand you are just reiterating the conceptions of many about Mormons, however I resent those misconceptions.

As a missionary in Africa, I spent nearly all my time among the extremely poor, black, people, many whose homes were smaller than most people's walk in closets. These people embraced the teaching of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Days Saints and were flocking into the chapels. I also saw many local clergymen (ie Bishops, Stake Presidents) were black.

The only money they are asked to give is 10% of their income, same as every member, all of which goes to maintaining and building places of worship, helping others, or furthering the message of Christ. None of that money goes to personal gain.

The LDS Church takes the gospel to every country it possibly can to further the gospel, no matter what gender, race, or social status. If only the rest of America could see that this is a global Church dedicated to blessing the lives of EVERYONE

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 16, 2012 12:31 p.m.

Ok follow me now Counter..I said..his reputation didn't do the Mormons any good. No where did I say, or insinuate, that because someone considered Romney dishonest that meant they considered all mormons dishonest. It simply means it doesn't do the mormon church any good (the point the article was trying to make) when a member of such high profile is seen as not posessing or portraying the principles the church professes. I would also ask you to provide specific evidence that Romney voters don't transfer their negative feelings about Obma to the entire Black community. I would suggest..as long as your suggesting..that the Romney voters do in fact transfer their negative impressions of Obama to the entire Democratic community.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 16, 2012 11:51 a.m.

@ Patriot:
    You wrote: " Darn conservative extremists anyway - always looking to scare folks"
    For the first time we are in agreement :)

We say that Obama won with a 51% of the vote. Chances are that with the state of the economy, a more credible Republican candidate could have won by a wide margin.

People trusted President Obama, the majority of the people support the end of Don't ask don't tell, droping the Defense of Marriage Act, of course, the Health Care Plan, a higher tax for those who extract higher benefits from society, increase revenue to reduce the deficit, and in general President Obama is perceived as a decent and caring human being.

Yes, I do agree with the headline, I do believe the LDS Church was one of the winners in this election. But, I believe the nation as a whole came out ahead.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Not so fast. Remember who the president is - Barack Obama the socialist. Now in most socialist countries around the world freedom of religion is frowned upon and in all communist countries it is banned. Let's project a few years down the road in the direction America is headed now - the socialist road. I can see a day where our freedom of religion is gone in this country - in the name of fairness of course and not to offend anyone - and things like tax exemption status and banning homosexual marriage and abortion etc... for the LDS church will be gone. This is just a tid bit for those who care to look ahead a bit. Oh yes I know - America will never abandon freedom of religion or the right to bare arms and America would never ever elect a socialist president either. Darn conservative extremists anyway - always looking to scare folks.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:47 a.m.

"it successfully painted him as dishonest (he's not)"

Romney said timetables are wrong to give to the enemy. At the foreign policy debate he proposed a 2014 withdrawal, agreeing with the president on the timetable.

Romney told Huckabee he'd support the personhood amendment and would support a ban on all abortions no exceptions. He later reverted to the standard three exceptions position.

Romney said his tax plan (20% cuts across the board) would be paid for by closing loopholes in such a way that the middle class wouldn't see a tax hike, nor the rich would see a cut. That's mathematically impossible.

"elitist (he's not)"

Nah, just thinks that 47% of people don't want to take personal responsibility for their lives because they don't happen to be in a position where they are paying income taxes and reiterated it by suggesting Obama won because he was handing gifts out (and a 20% across the board tax cut isn't a gift?).

• Diet-Mormon Cache county, USA
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:45 a.m.

I agree Tiger 5
    Life's to busy for these forums.
    See ya

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:44 a.m.

I am a LDS member, a registered Democrat, and an Obama supporter. Romney's campaign provided the opportunity for me in countless conversations with friends and associates to explain the principles of my religion and to dispel the notion that the orientation of LDS people to the Republican party is an extension of their religious tenants. I think it has more to do with a history of insularity and geography. In my travels around the world, I have found LDS who live in concentrated urban areas to be more liberal in their political orientation. I suspect over time, as this segment of the church grows, that church members will be more diverse in their political affiliations. Reverting back to the topic at hand, however, kudos for Romney and for other LDS members who enter the public arena, no matter one's politics.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:43 a.m.

"I am very pleased that there was so much support across the Southern "Bible Belt" for Romney. We didn't really see that in 2008 when Huckabee and Romney were running against each other. "

You're comparing a primary to the general though. Do they really like Romney or just begrudgingly voted for him because the other main choice was Obama? Romney had a three-way slugfest in Alabama and Misssissippi with two Huckabees (Santorum and Gingrich).

"But they don't transfer those feelings to the entire black community"

I disagree. There are a lot of conservatives who take statements like Romney's about Obama giving "gifts" (says the guy who offered a 20% across the board tax cut) and his statements about the 47% not wanting to take personal responsibility, and Gingrich and Santorum's statements about welfare and ascribe that to the black community. Thinking they just want handouts and are lazy. Consider how they view Katrina victims.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:33 a.m.

@ SS
    "And why would Romney's comments show that the LDS Church is more focused on profit, money, and white males?"

Many people that aren't familiar with the LDS church would associate their views of Romney (that he's out of touch and only cares about rich people) and ascribe that view to the LDS church. Don't forget, people don't like the idea of tithing being required for temple access and many have issues with an all-male priesthood.

This'd be like how Prop 8 increased church standing to conservatives and evangelicals, but rapidly dropped it among liberals and the increasing percentage of people who support same-sex marriage. I had plenty of friends out east who were neutral to the church before Prop 8 but held strongly negative views of it afterwards (which was a bit awkward since I was LDS at the time though of course I opposed Prop 8 so I faced no backlash from people outside the church, all the attacks directed at me came from members).

"Was JFK the face of Catholics?"

There are many more Catholics than there are LDS members. Out east the most prominent LDS members are Romney and Glenn Beck.

• Tiger5 Cache county, USA
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:31 a.m.

Let it fly!
    I think I have come to another decision as well.
    I think I will leave these comment areas for good. There seems to be a certain attitude building in these things, that really is unhealthy.
    Extreme views on both sides of the isle.
    Good luck all!

• Hubble65 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:21 a.m.

I don't think that Mitt Romney is a model or a light that the LDS people want illuminating to the world. Actually the name that they should be illuminating is the middle of the Church's logo, Jesus Christ. Romney is flawed, like all of us and it is easy to see the flaws especially in others. What LDS members of the Church need to do is to focus on living a Christ centered life and let that light, that example speak of itself. Besides doing ward callings get out and volunteer in the community at a homeless shelter or at another program or institute that could use you. Volunteer to help kids read at a school. Bottom line, the LDS people do a wonderful job at service and that and Christ should be the light that they hold up, not a man. It is unfair to Romney and unfair to the Church to hold a mere mortal man as an example. Too bad we can't get someone flawed, who has overcome real problems to run. They'd be like the rest of us are in reality.

• Jared Average, SE
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:18 a.m.

There was a prophecy about a stone rolling forth to fill the earth - that stone is rolling forth. (Note: filling the earth isn't as much about numbers as it is about presence and influence). No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing.

pragmatistferlife's comment is interesting given the choice of screen name. Romney is the paragon of pragmatism (he's a true centrist candidate; yes, right of center but still centrist. Centrist candidates are always blasted by people with more ideological beliefs). The fact that "51%...didn't vote for Romney [because they] thought he was dishonest, elitist, and had no moral center except to obey the teachings of his religion" goes to show that Pres. Obama's campaign against Romney was successful - it successfully painted him as dishonest (he's not), elitist (he's not), and has no moral center (that's not true - faith, family, service, doing good are all part of his moral core).

If Romney had won, it would have helped the LDS Church; because he lost, it helped the Church. What helps the Church is not always apparent in the short-term. The Church is about eternal progression and works on eternal timelines.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:10 a.m.

I would want no association with the likes of Romney.
    He lost because the majority didn't believe him....for some reason.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 10:03 a.m.

*Is the LDS church main concern "winning"? Is faith a game to the LDS church?*

Respectfully, I say no to both questions. What The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints wants to *win* is conversion of people to the gospel of Jesus Christ, the only thing that will truly save us and bring us lasting happiness. I imagine there are some, as in any religion, who focus too much on material things.

But the church itself uses its money to help its members (and others) and teaches us to do the same. It also teaches self-reliance, staying out of debt, paying tithing (a great blessing to those who do), being prepared for the unexpected, etc. THESE are some of the things the church teaches about material issues.

And no, faith is definitely not a game to the church. It may be so with some individual members, but they - along with everyone else - will eventually have experiences that will try and test their faith to its limits. Faith in Jesus Christ is a central doctrine of the church. It is the essence of the gospel and dedicated discipleship.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:59 a.m.

What is strange about all of this talk is the complete absence of any discussion on Mormon theology. In other words, sure Mormon's are on the map now in a way that is different than any time before. But...are people in the mainstream embracing The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine & Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price, the First Vision, the Apostasy and Restoration, the Priesthood, Modern Prophets & Apostles, literal Prophetic revelation, The Three Degrees of Glory, Celestial Marriage, etc, etc, etc, the same way they are mainstreaming the people and culture of Mormonism generically?

Of course not!

Can Mormonism capitalize on this new acceptance without also addressing it's theological fundamentals?

Me thinks not!

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Counter Intelligence

I like you.... You ever do debate? :P

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:30 a.m.

"Talk to the 51% who didn't vote for Romney who thought he was dishonest, elitist, and had no moral center except to obey the teachings of his religion. Chances are that reputation didn't do Mormons any good at all"

%49 did not vote for Obama; many of those also find Obama to be condescending, hypocritical, patronizing, dishonest, manipulative, passive/aggressive, amateur, class/race/gender warfare sponsoring, incompetent and just plain mean. But they don't transfer those feelings to the entire black community like you suggest Obama voters do to the Mormon community (which I am not a part of). SO apparently Romney voters are more tolerant than Obama voters.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:20 a.m.

Okay then that's fine if you say all organized religion should. I agree with that statement. I think the problem is that you are posting an article about the LDS Church and thereby implying that you feel the LDS Church is too involved in politics. And yet the LDS Church is completely neutral besides asking its members to vote for whichever candidate they feel is the best. There has never been, nor will there ever be, an endorsement from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a particular candidate.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Separation of Church and State?
    Where is this magical place that subscribes to this notion?

• rafinsure Elk Grove/U.S.A., 00
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:11 a.m.

I actually think Romney's candidacy hurt the LDS Church. He came off disingenuous since he had to seem more conservative than he really happens to be in the primaries to win his party's nomination, and then had to go back to the middle during the general election. Second, his comment about the "47%" made him look prideful. Third, his lack of willingness to release more tax returns made him seem secretive and cultish. Finally, Romney's aides ran around behind him having to change or clarify statements that he made in public. Also, it seemed rather sad when he couldn't take any responsibility for his campaign losing during his phone conference this week with campaign staff, and blamed his loss squarely on Obama. That proved to more people that he's very narcissistic. Jon Huntsman would have made a much better example to the nation of a presidential candidate who happens to be LDS. Huntsman perhaps is too moderate though and too much of a stateman to make it out of the Republican primaries.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Really? I would tend to be careful about any association with a precariously dishonest man like Romney.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Some seem to be scared of Romney.
    Don't be scared, he's a good man.
    A simple, good hearted man.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Whatever good Romney has created....Harry will surely destroy!

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 9:04 a.m.

That comment sounds like you are trying to convince yourself, not anyone else...

• Seminole sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:48 a.m.

This is not true . . .What is sad is that some are going to feel the destruction, and others aren't.

• IMAN Marlborough, MA
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:42 a.m.

Is the LDS church main concern "winning"? Is faith a game to the LDS church? It appears reasonable to suggest that the view painted of the church in this election will be a view colored by the remarks from Mr. Romney post election loss. A different article in this paper sums it up. See the article "Mitt Romney: President Obama won with 'gifts' to certain voters." Mr. Romney and all he is associated with comes across very poorly based on his comments. The comments from those here, who so vocally supported this man during his campaign, is quite telling. The GOP itself is busy distancing themselves from this man and are in full damage control mode. Not a pretty picture at all.

• Tiger5 Cache county, USA
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:42 a.m.

The more the negative comments fly, the stronger Mormon I become.
    So, let it fly.

• bobdc6 park city, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:39 a.m.

I used the general term, "organized religion", in which I meant ALL of them.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:08 a.m.

If there was a positive effect from the Romney campaign, it was on conservatives. Liberals don't care about your religious background. Note the Buddhist and Hindu members of Congress representing the state of Hawaii. Note Harry Reid as majority leader. It is nice to see conservatives increase their religious tolerance. I hope it lasts.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:05 a.m.

Name the organized religion you would like to stay out of politics.

• ufafelloffasofa kearns, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 7:58 a.m.

I don't believe the lds culture should subscribe to being socially accepted by the "mainstream". It's overrated! I'm glad that there are relationship improvements with fellow Christians as well as those that dedicate themselves to service....but I don't believe Ill ever need my faith to be validated by the likes of Bill Gates, Steve Martin, snoop dog, george clooney, Sean Hannity, and/or ladies of "The View".

• bobdc6 park city, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 7:38 a.m.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 16, 2012 7:24 a.m.

Talk to the 51% who didn't vote for Romney who thought he was dishonest, elitist, and had no moral center except to obey the teachings of his religion. Chances are that reputation didn't do Mormons any good at all.

Nov. 16, 2012 7:15 a.m.

I agree with SS. I don't see where Romney's campaign nor the LDS church focus on profit and money, nor the whole white male image. If you are familiar at all with the church, you know that what they stand for is what Christ stood for, helping the poor, sick, and needy no matter of race, color, religious ties, etc. The world will be a better place if we all were to follow Christ's doctrine.

• germanygator Apo, AE
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:19 a.m.

I am very pleased that there was so much support across the Southern "Bible Belt" for Romney. We didn't really see that in 2008 when Huckabee and Romney were running against each other. That fact that there were so many red states from Texas to North Carolina gave me hope that people were not voting on religion or religious biases in that region.

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:07 a.m.

@tabuno, I would politely disagree with you. My non-Mormon friends living in California, Florida, Ohio, New York all admire and respect Romney, and the way he has lived his life, giving generously to others. They were devastated by the election results. And have individually remarked that the Romney family elevated the Mormon Church in their eyes. So, your assessment is probably more based on your political leanings than anything else. But, we are hearing story after story of doors being opened to LDS missionaries that were heretofore closed. Ask the folks in Rockaways, New York, who has been helping them the most: FEMA or the Mormon Church.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:04 a.m.

It seems the people who are so eager to declare Mormonism "mainstream" are -- guess who? Mormons themselves.

I don't think being "mainstream" is something you can nominate and elect yourselves to.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 16, 2012 5:29 a.m.

Nice but we still have such a loooooooooong ways to go. Our missionaries here say there is NO difference in how people are talking to them. We need to get busy and be good citizens, be more active in our communities, make more non Mormon friends and be good LDS. I think we are learning some great things but still learning.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Nov. 16, 2012 3:49 a.m.

@ tabuno,
    Any publicity is good publicity. More people will ask questions about the church, more people will seek out the church through friends or missionaries. It's a matter of statistics. And why would Romney's comments show that the LDS Church is more focused on profit, money, and white males? You have no base for that argument. Last but not least, Romney is not the image of the LDS Church, it's Jesus Christ. Just because a member runs for POTUS doesn't mean they have now become the image of the church. Was JFK the face of Catholics?

• tabuno Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 10:23 p.m.

As a non-Mormon, I've held my personal beliefs about the Church to myself. But I don't think that the LDS Church really will benefit from Romney's run for U.S. President. A number of his various comments seem only to solidify the outside image that both Romney and the LDS Church is more focused on profit and money, having an aristocratic, white, male image that is not really the mainstream of the direction of America. It's just as likely that Romney has painted an image of the LDS church in is own image which by association pushes the LDS Church more onto the borders of politics rather than the mainstream.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 4:04 p.m.

Hopefully civility will continue as memories of Romney fade