Most in U.S. won't be able to escape 'fiscal cliff'

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    Nov. 14, 2012 10:16 p.m.

Elections have consequences! And those that Voted for Obama should enjoy the Fiscal cliff we are going to go over! Congress should zero! Not a dang blasted thing till Jan of 2016. Let Obama and his 47% enjoy and sleep in the bed they made for America.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 14, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Everyone who pays income tax - and "some who don't"?? I am guessing that the majority of the typical Obama voters (the Cleveland lady screaming about her new Obama phone) don't pay ANY taxes and know more about RAP and HOP HOP than they do some Fiscal cliff !! Obama gonna take care of us man....

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    Nov. 14, 2012 8:18 a.m.

I will make a bumper sticker that says "Don't blame me I voted for Mitt."

• ProudUtahn St. George, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:31 p.m.

I keep hearing about paying their fair share. What is the millionaires fair share? when they have multiple homes, who maitains and cleans those homes? Don't they pay someone to do so? they pay taxes on those properties as well. Most contribute to charities and their local communities.
    Business and corporations do not pay taxes their customers pay it through higher prices, who are those customers? (you and me) President Obama promised he would not increase taxes on the low and middle income people, yet the only way the "Affordable care act" passed the supreme court is they could not hinder governments ability to tax. So Obama care is a tax on all.
    And those that say the Bush tax cuts were ment to be temporary. Research the sales tax, it was only suposed to be to help finance that one war and then recended. good one govenment give up money? they say they cut taxes but they then cut a deduction to make up the difference.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:04 p.m.

Counter Intelligence,
    Who is being passive-aggressive? I flat out called your comment intellectually impoverished. That's pretty direct. Playing the victim? Conservatives have been doing that wonderfully since the election, skulking about blaming anyone they can for their loss, acting as if the world has betrayed them and now the country is going to come crashing down around them. The media, the liberals, half of America, you name it, they are all to blame. Poor martyrs. One thing is for certain, though: I don't feel victimized by conservatives. That's giving yourself far too much credit.

Go ahead and simplify it any way that makes you feel comfortable. By your definition the Republican Party isn't a great leader right now either, are they? Just lost the presidential election to an incumbent during a poor economy, didn't they? Nice leadership there.

You are right. This is futile and I am contributing little by doing this. It's a selfish motivation, really. A way to vent my irritation and yet end up more irritated. As before, I will grow tired of it eventually and go away for awhile.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:24 p.m.

All who think the liberal lovers who voted for 4 more years should bear the vast majority of the burden of the 'cliff'. All in favor type I ...
    I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I ...

Enough Said!!!

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 4:47 p.m.

I think we are coming from the same place here...

So...What you are saying is that Pres. Obama is a great leader if he could only get people to follow?

Nov. 13, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Letting tax cuts expire is NOT a tax increase.

Wasn't the United States in a better financial condition BEFORE the Bush Tax cut and the Social Security Tax cut of the Obama administration?

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 4:33 p.m.

I would be quite happy to pay more taxes if: 1. The taxes went to deficit reduction and 2. Someone was minding the store to prevent government waste and corruption. So far I have no indication that either will happen.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Bring on the tax hikes... and wait till you see the Obomacare bill your going to get on top of that! Happy Daze are coming!!

• md Cache, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 4:23 p.m.

@There You Go Again
    Saint George, UT

"...The bleak scenario could push the White House and Congress to reach a deal...".

Why does it always take a bleak scenario for elected representatives to do their job?

Why do we keep electing the same Congressional folks (with some minor rearrangement of the deck chairs) yet expect different results?"

I concur. Why did we elect the same failed president and expect any different results. I say "we" elected him because we are all Americans. "I" voted for the other guy.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 4:19 p.m.

I pay 7% tithing.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Nov. 13, 2012 3:08 p.m.

JoeBlow posted:
    Now that the election is over, I hope the Mr Romney will reveal his plan to cut taxes, raise defense spending and reduce the deficit.

Me: It would be a bit like Einstein trying to explain his mental process to come up with his advance theory's in mathematics. Mitt was able to intellectually crunch numbers and come up with a solution. Until he had became President and could have access to ALL data he felt he needed, he wasn't going to lie and bribe folks for votes.
    He simple stated, trust me, I know I can do it, take it or leave it. We know the answer to that. Mitt can't prove he can do it now.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 2:47 p.m.

For every % of taxes increased on anyone, an equal number of entitlement spending cuts.

If any taxes increase, than have a $100 minimum tax on every person 18 and older. No freeloaders. No more paying NO taxes AND getting a refund.

For every day Congress (House and Senate) fail to have a budget, they each get penalized $10,000.

Before an increase in ANY government benefit, the debt must be paid off in full.

As for Defense, return spending to Pre-Iraq War levels.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 13, 2012 2:42 p.m.

Look folks.

Raising taxes on the rich is a DENT.
    Tweaking SS is a DENT.
    Reforming medicare and medicaid is a big DENT.
    Reducing defense spending is a DENT.

So, quit excluding things that only make a DENT.

All the DENTS will add up to some real money.

The term "its only a dent" is code for "dont touch MINE"

Dont expect the poor and old to sacrifice if cant DENT the rich a bit.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Please don't give me the "I am a victim of the evil Conservative" melodrama when it was a direct quote from a leftist

I would like to say that blaming others for noticing something silly said by a left-winger is a "new intellectual low" - but in reality, is its fairly common place.

I am not a conservative as much as I tire of left-wing passive/aggression - such as what you just did.

All you proved is that the left plays victim even when it is their own stuff that stinks.

• Leo Femedlers El Paso, TX
    Nov. 13, 2012 1:21 p.m.

To: There You Go Again
    Re: Why do we keep electing the same Congressional folks (with some minor rearrangement of the deck chairs) yet expect different results?

The American Electorate is horribly uninformed. This comes mainly from the whitewash from our Liberal Media. Case in point--Benghazi. Had a Republican been been in office while that happened we would have seen/heard nothing but railing accusation from 9/11/12 until the last ballot was cast 11/6/12.

Another reason is because of apathy. I was amazed to see individuals admit that they did a couple hours of research on the presidential candidates before casting their votes. Really? And some I talked to "just don't do politics". Sad. Sad. Sad.

But payday is right around the corner.... hope you have your food storage.

• CPA Howard Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Nov. 13, 2012 1:18 p.m.

Here's something to think about, what does a trillion dollars really mean? If I made 1 million dollars a day starting at the birth of Christ, as of today I would still be $265 billion dollars short. I don't think raising the tax on all those earning $250,000 would make a dent in the federal deficit. The only way to reduce the deficit is to reduce spending and lower our expectations on what the government should do for us.

Even if we taxed those who make over $250k at 100% it wouldn't make a difference other than those who made of $250K and saw it taxed away would have no incentive the following year to do anything.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 12:48 p.m.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 12:46 p.m.

From the above comments, it is obvious the Republicans have recovered from the 2012 election with vigor, resolve and (of course) denial. I so look forward to the next four years of stonewalling, bizarre accusations from Donald Trump and predictions of disaster from the "patriotic" Right.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Counter Intelligence,

Thanks for proving my prior accusation that conservative commenters on this article have sunk to a new intellectual low. It's like I asked a genie in a bottle for a prime example and -poof- your comment shows up!

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Are you serious? If the president tries in earnest to forge a compromise but is unable to do so because Congress is completely incompetent, partisan, and unwilling to yield, then it is all his fault? Congress isn't a piece of machinery in which the right sequence of buttons and knobs must be pushed & turned to get a desired result*. They can choose to come to the table here and make rational decisions. You can't all lump it up to user error. If Obama is too unyielding and demonstrates poor negotiation skills, etc., then you will have a decent argument.

I've never seen someone defend Congress's incompetence and low approval ratings like you
    just did. Amazing.

*Well actually, there is a sequence. It's called Money.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 12:25 p.m.

"Us liberals: We are so dumb. All we want are handouts. We are all lumped together if we vote for Obama."

You said it

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 12:24 p.m.

Obama was not forced at gunpoint to take a second term. He wanted it. He campaigned FIERCELY to obtain it. If he fails to live up to the task, only he is to blame, not Congress. Congress already is the most hated body in this country. They cannot be more disliked. However, if Obama fails to deliver on his very grand promises, and take charge and lead the sheep of the Congress to financial solvency, only he can be blamed.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Once I read the title of this article, I knew there would be some predictable and childish knee-jerk conservative comments. I also figured most of these people wouldn't actually read the article and understand that both sides brought this issue on as a game of chicken to see who would flinch and yield on the budget. Neither side did, so now we head toward the cliff. Both Obama and Demos & Repubs in Congress need to compromise if they want to avoid this.

Then I read the comments. Congrats, conservatives, you have set a new intellectual low! You people are so bitter and angry over the election that you cannot even take the time and effort to read a simple 3 page article to gain some understanding of the issue. It's right there on page 3!: "Congress and the Obama administration agreed last year that these cuts would kick in if a congressional panel couldn't agree on a deficit-reduction plan".

But you guys desperately need a platform from which to vent your bruised political spleen, so go ahead and fire away, blame Obama for the fiscal cliff.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Obama's tax revenues are needed to fund Obamacare. The deficit is the last of his concerns... despite what he's said.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Nov. 13, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Open up and say ahhhhhh.
    Cause your about to be given much nasty caugh medicine.
    The world is going to be very different.
    But, we can still be happy.
    Just get rid of those bills.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 11:27 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar

"You mention that Romney would raise taxes on middle-income earners. Obama mentioned this in his booklet of fluff, citing the Tax Policy Center as his source. I went to that source and found that Romney's tax plan were lower in EVERY bracket than Obama's! Why would Obama lie like that?"

Obama's claim was that Romney had two options if he really was going to pay for his across the board tax cuts by closing loopholes since it can't be done by closing loopholes only on the rich. Option 1 is increasing taxes on the middle class. Option 2 is not paying for his tax cuts and adding it to the deficit.

"It surprises me that Obama professes to be a Christian yet supports such un-Christian principles (actions speak louder than words; he's no Christian)."

You profess to be Christian yet you oppose programs to help the poor and heal the sick.

" Romney won, in just one day, you would have seen a turn around."

That's foolish. No wonder people are voting for Romney. They think he's the Messiah. Sorry, but Rafalca's a brown horse, not white.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 13, 2012 11:10 a.m.

@Grundle: You're right, but you all want to keep saying Romney - or McCain/Palin for that matter - would be better than what we have now. As you say, there's no way to know. As far as we know, it could have been much worse!

Nov. 13, 2012 11:11 a.m.

If you think taxes aren't going to go up anyway then just go try to put more into your FSA account for next year. The amount you can contribute pre-tax has been slashed meaning you are paying more taxes for health care in 2013. Pretty slick.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 13, 2012 11:07 a.m.

Riv Coug: So both don't have a plan. So we should get rid of a president, who doesn't have a plan, but he economy is showing signs of turning around - I know you will argue that point - for a different president who doesn't have a plan? Is what you are saying?

The economists I cited - and I believe they were nonpartisan - said that there is no way that Romney could do what he says he wanted to do without raising taxes on those between the $100,000 and $250,000 tax bracket. Romney always said he would not raise taxes on the middle class, but it's funny he never defined what he believed the middle class to be.

As for your third paragraph, I totally agree with you. See, not one of those libs that you want to lump together.

Now, you better be careful with your last paragraph. Are you telling me that Romney was against stem cell research? Are you telling me that Romney was against all abortion? Be real careful with that one, as abortion is abortion. Gay marriage, we'll have to agree to disagree.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 13, 2012 11:04 a.m.

Time to do some research. Had Romney won, in just one day, you would have seen a turn around.

Manufactures held on to their money waiting for a Romney win, which didn't happen. As a result, they're will be massive lay-offs. Look around, and you'll see it. 120,000 square miles has been closed to drilling in the passed six days. Research the up coming regulations. Wait for a Lockheed announcement on lay-offs, or you can look it up. Wait for Obama care, and the loss of the Bush tax cuts. Look for a wave of new taxes.

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:46 a.m.

I thought Obama was going to help the middle class. I heard it from his own lips. LOL! I heard him say he was going to grow the economy through the middle class. What does that mean? Increasing my employers expenses so he can't afford to give me a raise even though the cost of living is skyrocketing? Is that what Obama meant by helping the middle class? My house value decreasing $60,000 in the four years he was in office. Is that how he was going to help me? Gas going from $1.85 to $3.85. Maybe that is what he meant, that has done wonders for my pocket book. I'm middle class and Obama has been nothing but a disaster for my finances. Obama was re-elected therefore we are going to enter another recession, you can count on it. Anyone who voted for him and can't see this coming is blind. I'm cutting my spending and expenses and getting ready for the train wreck.

Nov. 13, 2012 10:42 a.m.

Congress created the fiscal cliff. They voted for it. Boehner said he got 98% of what he wanted in the package. Now it is up to congress to fix it. They cannot blame the president or the senate. Neither the president nor the senate created the Budget Sequestration Act. The congress did. And they are the ONLY ones that can fix it. If they pass a bill, then the senate gets involved and if the senate passes it, that goes to the president. But until then, the congress is left with the mess they themselves created. And they all just got re-elected too.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:36 a.m.

Thank you for pointing that out. It's a shame there is a bipartisan effort coming from the rich and powerful in Washington to take more money away from minimum wage earners as well as the middle class.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:23 a.m.

Oh, so many things to dispute and only 200 words to do it in! First of all, you criticize Romney for not having a plan. Well, what on Earth was Obama's plan!? He never said, except in a 20 page booklet AFTER the debates (apparently he didn't have a plan until after). Even after 4 years in office he had no positive plan!

As for the social issues, are you opposed to the idea of getting people off handouts and into the workforce? I thought you were being sarcastic with your first comments.

As for the issues such as abortion, embryonic cell research, gay marriage, can you fault a religious man for having such stances? It surprises me that Obama professes to be a Christian yet supports such un-Christian principles (actions speak louder than words; he's no Christian).

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:22 a.m.

I sure hope not. I will not endorse raising taxes, on the rich or poor, so corrupt, special interest-serving politicians in Washinton can squander more money. I am open in any way imaginable to raising taxes on the rich, so those rich will be further inclined to fire employees, sell or close their business and take all of their money overseas.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:20 a.m.

"That being the case, exactly what is he compromising on?'

The spending cuts that dems wouldn't want to make. See, the only way to get a large deficit reduction bill in a compromise is if both sides give up something they don't want to give up. Obama is insisting that Republicans give up the bush tax cuts for the rich. Compromising means democrats in turn give something up. If you want a compromise that doesn't touch taxes... the dems will also not give up anything they care strongly about and the debt reduction will be minimal.

"What a scam! President Obama said only if you made more than 250K would your taxes wouldn't go up! "

Obama wants to extend the tax cuts on those making under 250k. You do have a point but for a completely different reason. The payroll tax holiday ends at the end of this year. Everyone's payroll taxes are going back up to the normal level and BOTH parties support this. Neither obama nor romney oppose this. Apparently republicans found one tax they can support raising... the payroll tax that disproportionately hits those at the bottom.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Inquiring minds want to know.

It would be the patriotic thing to do.

And while they are at it, both sides seemed to agree that we could reduce waste and fraud in medicare and medicaid.

How about we just vote on that piece and argue about the rest later.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:58 a.m.

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama revived a 2008 campaign promise on Friday, telling the crowd at an AARP forum that he would be open to raising the level of income on which Americans pay Social Security taxes.
    (Sept 2012).

Independent Senator Bernie Sanders from VT pledged to introduce legislation to raise the SS cap in 2011.

Democrats will compromise on spending cuts. Will Republicans compromise on tax increases for upper levels of income?

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:46 a.m.

I believe the country voted "Forward" into the darkness. We have a president and a congress that have no ability or desire to work together. It is time that they all go and we start over. 4 more years of all of this fun.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:43 a.m.

Can you spell OBAMA? I am certain that he will deflect any blame for this fiscal cliff to the republicans. A real leader should stand up and take responsibility. If you voted for Obama you voted for this since we all knew this was coming with his re-election.

• a bit of reality Shawnee Mission, KS
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:39 a.m.

Everybody who complained about the Obama deficits should be quite pleased at the prospects of going over the fiscal cliff. After all, the fiscal cliff represents a smaller deficit brought about by less spending and higher taxes on the middle-class and poor. Why aren't deficit hawks in favor of this?

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:32 a.m.

" And for those who say if Romney had won, things would be better, prove it!"

That is as dumb a statement as the President's assertion that 9% unemployment was much better than 13%

Maybe we can say that the General Petraus scandal wasn't so bad...at least there wasn't two affairs covered up...oh wait...I mean three...

The justification for the bad things by pointing to a fictitious unknown that is worse is not a valid argument.

BTW...Has everybody noticed the really slick spelling assistant the D News has incorporated on the forums? Pretty cool!

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:31 a.m.

If we go over the fiscal cliff we will be getting a taste of what future generations will have to do pay off the debt we are accumulating. It is bad for us, but it is going to be a lot worse for them.

I think they should raise taxes on the rich, I would like to see the Republicans call the Democrats bluff because I know that Democrats won't means test the well to-do seniors because they are politically powerful.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Those who voted for the liberals, will live with the liberals.

Too bad the rest of us will also.

A sixteen trillion debt equals a half million dollars for every second in a year.

No excuse for this, and we'll pay for it.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:25 a.m.

It looks like 8 years of sour grapes. The Hillary for eight more years of sour grapes. Good thing Rush Limbaugh can do mot of the yelling for the next 16 years.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:13 a.m.

"Middle income families would have to pay an average of about $2,000 more next year"

What a scam! President Obama said only if you made more than 250K would your taxes wouldn't go up! What a liar! Fraud! And all of you agreeing to pay more, speak for yourself! I did NOT agree to this ripoff. Tax revenue currently is squandered. Why would I ever agree to paying MORE taxes. I want to pay less! If I could have it my way, the incompetent and totally corrupted men and women of Washington DC would not ever again receive another single DIME of my money. Has Texas seceded from the union already? This is absolutely ridiculous!

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Us liberals: We are so dumb. All we want are handouts. We are all lumped together if we vote for Obama. And for those who say if Romney had won, things would be better, prove it! I thought he would win, and I also said I might vote for him, if he would only provide facts as to what his plan would entail. He did not do so. The Romney/Ryan ticket was: We know we can do this, we just don't know how or we are not going to tell you how. For all I know, and Romney never answered this question, a lot of the economists were correct: Romney would have raised taxes on those making between $100,000 and $250,000. I believe that is the middle class. But my vote came down to social issues. The economy has too many global factors for me to believe any one candidate, but the social issues are what scared me away from Romney, and I believe that's why he lost!

• WinSum Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:53 a.m.

We have heard a lot about people paying "Their Fair Share." Hence, the "low or no payers" must also start paying the same percent as everyone else. We must stop politicians from "buying low income folks votes" by giving them stuff, freebies and broken promises. If we are all truly committed Americans, our fair-share is a small price to pay for our citizenship.

Maybe we really should "reinstate the draft" and have all the youth, responsible and irresponsible... gangs, unemployed and whinners actually see what discipline, duty and obligation really are. Maybe if our current social-justice lovers would put their works & deeds to work...... maybe a price could be paid. We don't need "shovel-ready projects" and more bull from constant campaigners. We need real jobs and real contributors, but as a nation we just voted "no thanks." I'd rather get freebies......

It's truly sad when over 70% of births in some groups have no men in the picture taking responsibility for their irresponsible behavior......and guess who "picks up the tab."?

Many of us have worked 1 full time and part in the Reserve for 20 + years.

I have never felt so sad for my country.

• KDave Moab, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:46 a.m.

The majority of Obama supporters/voters believe the "fiscal cliff" is somewhere in Colorado.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:42 a.m.

The ignorance of basic economics is astounding, but given the sorry state of our public education any more, not surprising.

There are no "free lunches" and politicians who have been buying votes by giving away "free stuff" with borrowed money are responsible. Yes, both Democrats and Republicans share the blame, but the 'rats are worse spenders and borrowers.

THe only solution is to cut spending on much loved "freebie" and "entitlement" programs. Even if Defense were shut down entirely and every dollar earned by "the rich" were confiscated, we would still be broke.

We must (and eventually will, regardless of what any politician tells you) tax everyone, end "earned tax credits" cut off the "Obama phones" funding for Public Broadcasting, foreign aid, reduce Medicare, end the Social Security Ponzi scheme, Cash for clunkers, college aid, environmental nonsense, and a host of other "nice to have" stuff and reduce government jobs by 50%.

Otherwise (or perhaps anyway) we will end up with a violent rebellion in the streets by the "takers" against the "makers". This is the consequence of shifting from the greatest nation of free people to one of government encouraged dependency and envy.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:31 a.m.

I am for a FLAT TAX

We all pay the same tax when we buy a car, groceries, etc. (States do vary on sales tax though)

If you are LDS, we all pay the same tithing.

We all should pay the exact same percentage for income tax, period

I a betting the rate for the average person would go down.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:30 a.m.

Bring it.

Let _all_ the Bush tax cuts expire, then start fro scratch with a more rational approach.

Let the automatic spending cuts happen, especially in the DoD.

When the public actually gets to see how this particular batch of sausage is being made, they'll be less inclined to pay for fighter jets the Air Force says it neither wants nor needs, and they'll ask themselves how it is that the guys who made out like bandits in the last ten years pay lower taxes than the rest of us do.

End the special tax breaks for private jets and luxury yachts.

Better yet, just reinstate the tax rates that existed at the end of the Reagan Administration. Those were good for our economy. Bush-era tax rates have been disastrous for everyone except the 1%.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:07 a.m.

We the People. Not us vs. them. Bring on the fiscal cliff. We should all shoulder the burden. As nice as it sounds to only have a small percentage of the people shoulder nearly all of the burden, it just won't work long term. America is/was great because all have the opportunity to succeed, not because we are all protected from failure.

• PAC Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:05 a.m.

If you voted for Obama.. I don't want to hear from you when you are out on the street. Sorry

• md Cache, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:48 a.m.

Wait. WE all get to shoulder the burden of the "fiscal cliff"? Bring it on. I am happy to pay my share, but I know I already pay way more than my share. 35% Federal taxes doesn't seem so bad when it isn't you paying that rate. 42%, once again, not so bad when it isn't you paying that rate. Why should I have to pay it alone? Entitlements need to be whittled down to the bare essentials. No more "obama phone" socialistic policies. I hope we hit the fiscal cliff so everyone can feel the pain, not just "the rich".

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Correction, raybies, "we" didn't vote for this recession. Half of the country did and half did not. I am one of those who proudly voted for Mitt Romney and an end to the irresponsible Obama years. I am discouraged about the next four years and beyond.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Cutting federal spending will affect everyone, but save money for everyone's grandchildren. Was that just a catch phrase? It is a good thing that "rich" people cannot buy a free ride. The majority wants high annual incomes taxed without the Bush tax cut. The election was hyped and claimed by the opponents of the President as the election to determine the future. The future is here. Was the election for the future only if Romney won?

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:44 a.m.

He's open to compromise? Sure. His idea of compromise reminds me of a commanding officer I had in the military. He used to wear a button that said "Be Reasonable. Do it my way".

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:43 a.m.

The Bush tax cuts were TEMPORARY for a reason.

Those of you who have bought into the notion that allowing the tax cuts to expire for those making above $250K will be disastrous have been duped.

If rates rise for the richest Americans, they will still be paying lower taxes than under Reagan.

Conservative Bill Kristol -

"It won’t kill the country if Republicans raise taxes a little bit on millionaires. It really won’t, I don’t think."

"I don’t really understand why Republicans don’t take Obama’s offer to freeze taxes for everyone below $250,000."

"Really? The Republican party is gonna fall on its sword to defend a bunch of millionaires, half of whom voted Democratic, and half of whom live in Hollywood and are hostile to Republicans? "

• raybies Layton, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:14 a.m.

We voted for this recession. We wanted it, over the alternative of not having a recession. We believe that if we punish enough "rich" people (aka. people who have more than me), it will make us all feel better--even if everyone's affected aversely.

This is the direct result of class envy. The vote was not about the economy, and now we get to ride the train that we all boarded when we didn't care about it.

• SME Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:09 a.m.

"Last week, Obama said he was open to compromise with Republican leaders. But the White House said he would veto any bill that would extend tax cuts on income above $250,000."

That being the case, exactly what is he compromising on?

Also saying that “Congress has acted each year to prevent the AMT from hitting many more people.” is a misnomer. Since they don't ever actaully solve the problem saying "Congress puts a temporary band-aid on the problem each year", would be more accurate.