Opinion

Letter: Election Day results in sad day for America?

Comments

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:55 a.m.

As you continuously spike the football and insult your opponents, you only prove yourselves to be the poorest of sports.

You will never convince the second place team that they are better off because your team won.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:43 a.m.

There is finally HOPE in America again.

Let's all pitch in and make the most of it.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:35 a.m.

So calling the choose of the majority of americans a "sad day" is being "more kind?" I don think you are off to a very good start.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:10 a.m.

To
    higv 8:22 a.m. Nov. 11, 2012

some townhall columnists are pessimistic, However I think conservatism will win again.

-----------------------

I hope it does, provided it is TRUE conservatism and not the far right wing fringe-dweller counterfeit that's passing for, and erroneously claiming to be, conservatism these days.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:43 a.m.

There's a lot of snark flying around on these boards, but I'm glad that Gregory wrote this letter. I was unhappy when Bush won two terms, but I didn't spew rage or start to hate America. It's nice to see that some of Romney's voters are capable of doing the same thing.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:42 a.m.

I have an idea, how about supporting the President?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:36 a.m.

It was a long hard slog to end up right back where we started. But it was good for the nations' psyche. We've matured a bit, and eveolved as a nation in the last four years. After all the yelling and mudslinging, the electorate remained calm and wanted nothing of reactionary politics.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:22 a.m.

• embarrassed Utahn! Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 7:08 a.m.

Many Utahns, especially me, think the election of President Barack Obama was one of the most important days in our Nation's history!

I'm not at all "sad" except when I see the sore-losing attitudes held by a lot of Utahns. It is a "sad" commentary on our state when so many voters self-righteously ignore the outcome of the election and feel they are above the will of the American people. Sen. Mike Lee says Utahns have "an extra gene of patriotism"....I'm still waiting to see that.

• Salsa Libre Provo, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:01 a.m.

No. Not at all. In fact, it is a great day! The partisan slurs and fearmongering have been shown to be irrelevant. The accusations that Obama is "foreign" and "not really American" and the great evil who will destroy American have been finally and irreducably shown to be false. Yes, the Tea Party crazies lost THEIR America because it never was their's to begin with. The people won and they don't like it.

Those who predicted that Obama would ruin America back in 2008 were as wrong then as they are now. America is growing and prospering. Obama's policies have been successful including Obamacare (John Boehner acknowledges that it is the law of the land), the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, the Lily Ledbetter Act and the Stimulus Spending bill that the Right called a "failure".

The only thing that can slow America's progress is the wingnut fringe movement conservatives in the House and their reactionary supporters. Like Rush Limbaugh, they will continue to work to make Obama fail even if the result is to make America fail. Their attitude is "if they can't have what they want, then nobody should have anything!"