Opinion

In our opinion: Mitt Romney's candidacy helped shatter an invisible barrier of religious bigotry

Comments

• Bankshot7 Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 10:35 a.m.

When Utah legislators (Mormons) pass alcohol related laws that are considered inhibiting compared to other states, it resonates in the press. When tourists come to Utah and are subjected to laws that seem designed to move your actions and morals toward becoming a member of “the state majority” it is relayed to their fellow friends and neighbors upon their return to “reality” back home. It is considered normal for adults to drink alcohol, coffee, and tea. When they are considered less than first class humans here in Utah for doing the same, it resonates. A Mormon president is impossible to consider when the impression has been instilled that he will lead all of Americana into the land of Zion and we will all be forced to bend to the will of the LDS doctrine and Word of Wisdom. That concept is unfathomable to those of other faiths or even no faith. This opinion is so well in-trenched that there will never be a LDS president until it can be trusted that the LDS religion can stop thrusting their morals onto the general public. In other words, Live and let Live.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2012 7:09 p.m.

The irony of all this is that Mr. Romney couldn't overcome the bigotry in the republican party. The Evangelicals cost Mr. Romney the election. He wasted way to much time trying to sell his own party primarily evangelicals on why they should vote for him. Mike Huckabee, who in the last election referred to Mormons as a cult while running for the office of President. Yet with no major republicans coming to their defense, the majority of Mormons still hold fast to a party that in many parts largely still view Mormons as a cult. This shouldn't be a surprise though because republicans have a lack of tolerance for anyone who is not exactly like them.

• jcperine Draper, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:06 a.m.

Nothing has changed. The masses are still ignorant, biased and too lazy to care.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:41 a.m.

@jtalk

Romney being a flip flopper? Romney was the Governor of Massachusetts. Last I checked it is the bluest (most democrat) state in the United States. Anyone Republican who wins the governorship in Massachusetts can't rule with a Conservative iron fist and expect to get anything done because the state assembly and senate will constantly turn him down. It would be no different than a democrat winning the governorship in Texas and expect to rule with a liberal iron fist and he(or she) wondering why nothing is getting done. Both in this situation would have to govern as a moderate to move forward even though each is a conservative or a liberal in there personal core beliefs. So it is with Romney, he is personally conservative but governs as a moderate or at least he had to in Massachusetts. So if your going to blame the man blame him for not running for governor in a conservative state if he held conservative views, but he did what he had to do in Massachusetts to move that state forward. If only Obama can be more Moderate than he has.

• Sparky908 Yakima, WA
    Nov. 10, 2012 9:12 p.m.

I agree with Labeau, due to the people that couldn't overcome their bigotry, we will have 4 more years of the same. Was this whole thing a failure in regards to becoming understood? No, but hopefully we can keep the ball rolling. I am still amazed at how people could know "all about Mitt Romney", but have never met him. Next election I also think that those who compete in the primary might want to be a little more careful of what they say of the other person(s). I had a hard time listening to someone endorse someone that they completely "hated" two to three months prior. After what I saw I would say all of them rate as flip-floppers.

Let me say however that I don't have a problem with flip-floppers, especially when this means that someone is learning from life's lessons. I know I'm glad that I still don't have the same views on life that I had when I was a young adult, else wise I probably wouldn't be around to type this. I would prefer someone leading who has learned and adapted and is now wise.

• labeau ELY, NV
    Nov. 10, 2012 8:36 p.m.

The bigotry is still there. 28% of the Evangelicals said they would not vote for a Mormon, and they didn't. Had the same numbers who voted for McCain voted for Romney, Romney win's in a landslide.
    Personally I don't care, the people vote for the government they want and deserve.
    If you have a good job, you'll be fine, if you don't, good luck. Unemployment will increase, gas prices will go higher, as Obama wants, and with the Federal Government spending it self over a cliff nothing will be done until it's broke.
    California will go first, cities in California are already declaring bankruptcy, and it won't belong before the state has to as well.
    Have a good life.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 11:59 a.m.

anti lds bigotry is alive and well, just read many of these posts

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:39 a.m.

Religious bigotry as it applies to the LDS Church is alive and well. I heard so many awful comments about my faith during the election than at any other time in my life. As a converted member of the Church, I have a very open mind when it comes to religious preferences, but the bigotry towards me, my faith, Mr. Romney was intolerable, especially here in the South.

• ArizonaRed Prescott Valley, AZ
    Nov. 10, 2012 6:27 a.m.

3 million white republican voters did not vote....stayed home. Romney may have made a dent in religious bigotry, but it is very much alive and well.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2012 1:05 a.m.

It is interesting how well the Obama did in their character assassination of Romney. We rely on the media for our our information. When they join in with the incumbent President in attacking a relativity unknown candidate it sticks. While was labeled a labeled rich liar, flip-flopper, etc. Obama's major misdeeds, lies and lack of leadership was ignored or blamed on others. It was a blatant and corrupt bias. It is due to the mounting lack of trust in the media that Romney was able to come so extremely close to winning. Let's not allow media to tell us what to think any longer.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Nov. 9, 2012 9:37 p.m.

jtalk,

Missionaries do carry the Bible with them. I know that I did. I loved to hold the Bible in one hand and the Book of Mormon in the other and bring the two together in one hand to illustrate the fulfillment of the prophecy in Ezekiel 37.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:07 p.m.

jtalk, I commend you for speaking up for the Mormon's and their belief in Christ. I admit that I have only read the Old Testament twice and the New Testament four times, and the Book of Mormon about 20 times. I went through a short period of inactivity after reading the Old Testament, I was young. Mormon's do accept the Bible as scripture, but yes it is based on correct translation. There were many hands that it was passed through, these men who did the translation did the best that they could in that time. The Book of Mormon has gone through only one translation. As a missionary, I carried all the scriptures, no I didn't try to place a Bible in peoples homes, because they already had a Bible. If they didn't, I would have gotten one for them. The reason that the LDS church places Books of Mormon in homes is to add to the testimony of Jesus Christ that is found in the Bible, it is a 2nd witness.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 6:55 p.m.

Shatter an "invisible" barrier?

Uhhh, to shatter is to win. Romney didn't win.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    Nov. 9, 2012 12:28 p.m.

jtalk

Sorry my friend. Those missionaries will be able to show you their bibles. We believe in both.

See, this is where bigotry and predujice start - with people spouting "facts" that are not true.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 6:09 a.m.

Shatter the invisible barrier of religious bigotry?

Let me be clear, I am a Democrat. I am against many views of the LDS church.

Am I glad a member of the LDS church was a candidate for President of the United states?

I just wish it was John Huntsman.

I believe Huntsman would not have been divisive towards so many Americans. Blacks, Latinos, Women, LGBT...

and 47% of America.

Huntsman, would have tried to work with Americans, for a better future. Not against.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:29 a.m.

In this case one persons bigotry may be anothers rational evaluation.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Nov. 8, 2012 10:50 p.m.

The bigotry of many Evangelicals and condescending non-religious liberals will never die, until the Second Coming. That's just how it is. Nothing's really changed.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:49 a.m.

@Noodlekaboodle;

Are you kidding? I never, ever carried my "quad" out tracting. That thing weighed like 50 lbs (slight exaggeration). I did carry my italian bible, but our focus was the BOM, not the bible.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 2:11 a.m.

@CHS 85

You said - "You mean we can finally drop the persecution complex?"

Yes I hope this means we'll stop hearing liberal commentators and bloggers say things like, "The only reason people voted for Romney is because their sick of seeing a black man as President?" Or "Obama is pro-woman and since the neocons can't vote against Hillary, they vote against Obama." (Didn't make these up)

I guess some people can play the race card, gender card and even the religion card all they want, but others can't say a word back.

@Hutterite

You said - "The Mo Moment is gone. And religion still doesn't belong in politics."

Does that include "progressive" churches like the Universalist/Unitarian Church, United Church of Christ and United Methodist Church?

That's right, separate church and state unless you agree with the church.

• Noodlekaboodle Millcreek, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 9:54 p.m.

@JTalk
    Dude, I'm not even a mormon, but that's bogus. The mormons have this quadruple combo deal that has the Bible, The Book of Mormon, D&C, and the other one that is tiny and I don't remember the name and i'm too lazy to google it. Trust me I studied their religion as well. I don't agree with it, but let's not tell out and out lies about them.

• Ying Fah Provo, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 7:33 p.m.

No, that was John F. Kennedy who partially shattered that ceiling. However, we will have to wait until there is a non-Christian polytheist who can be elected to truly see that barrier eradicated. Today, there remains the "Christian" litmus test for candidacy.

As for a Mormon getting nominated, George Romney might have been nominated had it not been for his "brainwashing on Vietnam" comment. Now, it may be decades before Republicans take their chances with another Mormon. Democrats have a much greater likelihood of nominating a Morman than do Republicans in the forseeable future.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 7:23 p.m.

"Mitt Romney's candidacy helped shatter an invisible barrier of religious bigotry".

Not it didn't.

• Red Headed Stranger Billy Bobs, TX
    Nov. 7, 2012 7:02 p.m.

jtalk

I cannot remember leaving my apartment as a missionary without my Reina Valera Spanish Bible. If I ever did, it was a mistake. Guess what is being taught this year in Seminary? The New Testament. Last year, it was the Old Testament.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 5:42 p.m.

The Mo Moment is gone. And religion still doesn't belong in politics.

• DavidNichols Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 7, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Mitt Romney lost because he was WRONG about how to handle our Nations Immigration Issues Period.

January 2008 began the start of the Arizona E-verify (Attrition) Law, the I.C.E. Deportation/Incarceration Programs, the "Great Recession", the "Foreclosure Crisis", and our "New Ballooning National Deficit."

Fact: the HARD LABOR Immigrants gladly did for America was the very Foundation of our Strong Economy, and the twenty-five year Period prior to the Largely L.D.S. Arizona lead "Anti-Immigrant Rant" was the "Most Prosperous period in Total U.S. History."

"America is great because it is good, when it ceases to be good, it ceases to be great".
    Alex De Tocqueville

This is our I.C.E.'d Economy!

Millions have been Persecuted!

Saint's should do Good, not Persecution, and "Attrition".

Romney exposed a Racism "Barrier".

C.T.R????

• jtalk Irvine, CA
    Nov. 7, 2012 3:21 p.m.

It is not true that Mormons do not believe in Christ. They do. The issue is they do not believe the Bible is correctly translated and that the Book of Mormon is correct. Because of that fact they are not mainstream. I am sure the separation of Church and State would have kept Rommey in line. His major problem was his platform was unclear and ever changing on many issues. These issues are important to the changing demographics of the American people. He flip flopped around more than a fish out of water which made most of us realize he was not the man we wanted to win.. He was the best candidate the Republicans could find, And not good enough to beat the Democrats.. it is that simple..religion was not the main reason he lost.

• GeoOhio Portsmouth, OH
    Nov. 7, 2012 1:14 p.m.

Here in southern Ohio his LDS membership did hurt, my 76 year mom had lifelong Republican seniors tell her they just could not vote for a non-Christian so they did not vote. Even many of my peers from agnostics to pentacostals said Romneys relgion helped them decide to vote Obama even though they were not impressed with his 4 years. This was not everyone, but I would guess 3-6 percent more in Ohio would have voted for a mainstream protestant Romney.

• jtalk Irvine, CA
    Nov. 7, 2012 12:41 p.m.

I was a Mormon for seven years and I can assure you they do not use the Bible as their main teaching tool. I was not born a Mormon but I studed it in depth and as a result can say I know more about it than most Mormons because most Mormons born in the faith just accept it due to their exposure from birth and do not ask the hard questions like someone like me. And I have asked many a young Mormon who spend their two years on a mission to show me their Bible when they have come to my door..they had none. Now do I feel they are not deserving of respect because they do not base all their basic teahings on the Scriptures? Of course not.But I do not think Mormons are now more or less accepted as a Christian religion because of Rommey running for president. But his running shows a freedom of religion still being practiced in this country. And most of the vote he lost was due to his lack of being in touch with the working class of America.

• One of a Few Layton, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 12:41 p.m.

MHO - The candidacy of Gov. Romney says little about the end of religious bigotry and more about the success of the unwritten faustian bargain liberals and conservatives made, that if one wouldn't mock Romney's LDS religion, the other would remain silent regarding Obama and Islam. All we really know is the cease fire held for the last three months.

We'll know if religious bigotry in Utah is truly ended, if during the next four years Mormons are able to refrain from trying to hang the pejorative label "Muslim" around the neck of the POTUS.

• George Bronx, NY
    Nov. 7, 2012 11:47 a.m.

As an outside observer I think that despite the less then perfect representative Romney was that overall the LDS church is better understood and respected then before the election.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 10:43 a.m.

JTalk is wrong. Ask any Mormon missionary to show you his/her Bible, he/she will. We believe in bothe the Bible and the Book of Mormon. God wasn't made mute 2,000 years ago. He speaks today as he did then.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 10:33 a.m.

The failure of the people to elect Romney proves that a good amount of religious bigotry is alive and well. I have no doubt that the reason he did not garner enough votes in Iowa, Florida, and Ohio was because of the small, but politically significant number of people who chose not to vote rather than support a Mormon.

• jtalk Irvine, CA
    Nov. 7, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Mormon's claim their religion is based on the Bible. Their religion is based on the Book of Mormon. Just ask any Mormon missionary to show you their copy of the Bible when they come to your door...NOT Going to happen! So no the Mormon religion has not been made a main stream religion by Rommey's loss. And freedom of religion has always been the goal of Anerica.

• dwaters88 mesa, AZ
    Nov. 7, 2012 8:51 a.m.

Religious barriers still exist. I doubt a Muslim or Buddhist would have a chance of being elected President in this country.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 7:49 a.m.

Bigotry as a whole took a hit this election. Three states, so far, rejected bigotry. It's time for all bigotry to end, religious and secular.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Nov. 7, 2012 7:42 a.m.

Romney's candidacy broke some barriers. But did mendatious Mitt really help the public image of Mormonism?

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 7:35 a.m.

You mean we can finally drop the persecution complex?

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2012 7:25 a.m.

What we've learned is that all candidates for the highest office in the land, regardless of religious creed, all play politics by the same gaming rules -- divorced completely from personal ethics even when they hold ecclesiastical positions that demand honesty in their dealings with their fellow men. I believe that Mitt would have won had he told his financiers and handlers he was going to play by different rules.

• UT Brit London, England
    Nov. 7, 2012 2:40 a.m.

"Romney's viable candidacy demonstrated that the American electorate could entrust its highest office to an active and believing Latter-day Saint"

Romney got to the top of the republican ticket by being the best of a very, very bad bunch. When Donald Trump was a legitimate threat to Romneys candidacy in the primaries, thats not a good sign really.