Sports

High school football: Defending champs face tough roads in playoffs

Comments

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 26, 2012 8:27 a.m.

Just my thoughts

5A - Jordan
    4A - Timpview - Hate to say this
    3A - Hurricane
    2A - Manti
    1A - Duchesne

• tiger06 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 25, 2012 7:49 p.m.

@proudbigbrother

I don't see Stansbury taking state this year. They are a good program, but not that good. Yes, they did beat D-Hills who in turn beat Hurricane, but think about it... H-Town was up 28-7 before they lost their starting QB/Safety. Said QB has been quarterbacking for this group of boys since they started tackle football in 4th grade. Of course losing leadership like that affected the way Hurricane played immediately following said injury. Now, Desert Hills did show a lot of heart in coming back and winning... I don't want to take anything away from them or that win, but take away that injury and Hurricane rolls. I see the state title essentially coming in the 2nd round with Hurricane vs JD. Winner of that is most likely to take it all in my opinion. Both programs are disciplined and both have "been there, done that." Granted HHS isn't as dominant as they were last year, and there are lots of contenders in 3A, but I stand by my thoughts. Hurricane or JD takes it. Unfortunately this game won't be at RES, but it will still be great!!!! Go Tigers!!!!

• d0wns0uth Hurricane, UTAH
    Oct. 25, 2012 4:55 p.m.

@proudbigbrother 3A Stansbury lol and I believe in Santa Claus too. 4A is East and 5A is Jordan and 3A is anybody but ha ha more like JD or SF.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Oct. 25, 2012 12:40 p.m.

PBR,

I would say the same for MC beating Logan. By the way shouldn't you be cheering for MC since you are from Providence?

• PBR Providence, UT
    Oct. 25, 2012 12:17 p.m.

I love the excuses for East losing. Mentally-depleted is a new one, good work Edwards. How many times does Logan need to beat east before the excuses stop? 3 in a row now, maybe a fourth would do it.

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Oct. 25, 2012 10:17 a.m.

In the 2A quarters I do think both Manti & SJ (the top 2 in 2A) have the touhger games. Manti faces a Beaver team that seems to be hitting their stride right at the right time (definately the #2 team in the South) and SJ faces a good Emery team that, if they can put together a solid 4 quarters, could upset the Broncos.
    S.Summit & Millard I feel have an easier road to the Semi's facing Richfield & Grand respectively.
    Here's how I see it:

Manti 21 Beaver 14 - Manti will be too tough at home.
    Millard 42 Grand 21 - Grand will have a hard time stopping Rhodes/Aleman.
    SJ 28 Emery 7 - Will be close 1st half, then SJ will pull away in the 2nd half.
    SS 45 Richfield 7 - Kamas Wildcats win this one easily.

Good luck to all the teams. Those teams I have losing I would love to see you prove me wrong (except Grand, of course).

GO EAGLES!!!!!

• just sayin' Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 8:59 p.m.

It's going to be real ugly for West Lake, It will be over by halftime. WX 47 West Lake 6. The CATS will be in the finals where we beat Mountain Crest for the 2nd time this year. This is our Year!! GO WX! GO CATS TAKE STATE!

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 8:17 p.m.

Out of these 5 teams, the only repeat I see is the expected 1A championship. I predict the following:
    5A: Syracuse (I hate to say that, because it would likely mean another Playoff win over Alta, but I see them having Jordan's number this year)
    4A: Timpview
    3A: Stansbury
    2A: Not sure, haven't looked at it yet.