U.S. & World

Emails show White House told of Islamist claims within hours of Libyan attack on Sept. 11

Comments

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Oct. 26, 2012 5:55 p.m.

@Furry1993 - let's get timeline and events straight, so outrage can be properly applied:

1. Libya grows increasingly violent and dangerous. Ambassador repeatedly requests increased security.
    2. Security is DECREASED.
    3. Embassy security is not even fortified on the 9/11 anniversary.
    4. No video protest occurs at the embassy on 9/11.
    5. The embassy is attacked at night, by a coordinated, heavily armed group, and 4 Americans are killed.
    6. The administration is given real-time briefing of the incident.
    7. Romney CORRECTLY surmises this was a terrorist attack and criticizes efforts by the Obama Administration to falsely blame it on a video.
    8. Obama lumps the Libyan attack with numerous other Middle-Eastern mob scenes and ambiguously references them all as "acts of terror."
    9. Abandoning the terrorist characterization, and in complete contradiction to all facts fully known to them, Obama's team repeatedly and falsely blame a spontaneous mob and a stupid video for 2 full weeks, including at the U.N.
    10. Documentation contradicts their claims of ignorance about the nature of the incident.

And to you, Romney's possible politicization of the situation is worse than Obama's deception and incompetence. Wow, just wow.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2012 6:00 a.m.

Re: George Bronx, NY
    "He called it an act of terror the day after it happened."

Then why all Obama's hype over an anti-Muslim video?
    "You can fool all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time." - Abraham Lincoln

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 25, 2012 8:31 a.m.

Hi Tolstoy,

If the President's use of the word "terror" in the press conference suggests that he was attributing the attacks to terrorists, what do you think the following passage from his speech was implying?

"Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths. We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. But there is absolutely no justification to this type of senseless violence. None. The world must stand together to unequivocally reject these brutal acts."

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 24, 2012 8:33 p.m.

Obama statements:

"No Acts Of Terror Will Ever Shake The Resolve Of This Great Nation."
    (9/12/2012 Rose Garden)

So what I want all of you to know is that we are going to bring those who killed our fellow Americans to justice. I want people around the world to hear me: To all those who would do us harm, no act of terror will go unpunished. It will not dim the light of the values that we proudly present to the rest of the world. No act of violence shakes the resolve of the United States of America.
    (9/13/2012 Golden CO)

"As for the ones we lost last night: I want to assure you, we will bring their killers to justice. And we want to send a message all around the world -- anybody who would do us harm: No act of terror will dim the light of the values that we proudly shine on the rest of the world, and no act of violence will shake the resolve of the United States of America."
    (9/13/2012 Las Vegas NV)

• George Bronx, NY
    Oct. 24, 2012 6:13 p.m.

@lost

He called it an act of terror the day after it happened. Repeating the same lies over and over do nothing to Add to your credablity with anyone but conspiracy theorist.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 5:54 p.m.

On the 8th of April 2004 it was revealed that, on August 6, 2001 bush was warned of impending attacks on US soil. Remember that? I do. The Guardian notes that, at the time of the warning memo, "Mr Bush was on a month-long "working holiday" at his Texas ranch and spent much of the following days fishing and clearing undergrowth on his land. He did not cut short his vacation or apparently take dramatic steps in response to the briefing." For whatever indignation people can come up with here, I'm more comfortable with President Obama than MittRo or republicans in general. People here have despised President Obama since day one. That doesn't make romney a better choice.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 24, 2012 5:53 p.m.

Now Obama can take five million from one of the top five percent wealthiest Americans, and have it given to those who didn't have a fair shot.

Even playing field here, just for showing showing your college transcript and application forms. That's it. So easy!

Trump pays!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Tolstoy

why did BO for weeks after claim it was a spontaneous event when he KNEW it was not? he LIED!! plain and simple. And all the posts by all the BO apologists in the world does not change the fact that he outright lied!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 24, 2012 3:17 p.m.

Those people,-so anxiously criticizing Romney, will now make excuses for Obama.

How pathetic! People were killed, because golfing, campaigning, and vacationing, were more important then attending staff meetings.

• suess Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 3:15 p.m.

@Melanna

Take a deep breath. No one is blaming The President for tha attacks in Lybia -- the blame lies soley on the perpetrators. No one denies that. They're blaming him for the try at a coverup for 14 days. These emails show he knew within 2 hours. Granted, don't give the terrorists the satisfaction of glorifying them. But how hard would it have been to simply say "we do not condone these acts of terrorism, and with that said, this is an ongoing investigation which cannot be commented on further at this time". Rather than blaming unrest on some stupid video.

Really, how stupid does this administration think the American citizens are?

How would you feel if you were family of one of those who lost their life? I would be outraged, not only at the mere fact of wht happened, but the attempted coverup that took place afterwards. Yes, they need to be brought to justice just as Heussein and Ben Ladan were, but, please Mr. President, give our citizens a little credit for their intelligence and don't think of us as your minions that take everything from your mouth as gospel.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2012 3:01 p.m.

Re: Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    "... only proves my point that people like you are interested in this issue purely because you think it will give you a political edge ..."

Those who are trying to understand why Obama is in such trouble over this suggest that he was trying to cover up his bungling. Romney called him out on it, we are finding now that Romney was right, and the undecided voters are coming down on Romney's side.

The liberal left would like Romney to fight with one arm tied behind his back like John McCain did. It is going to happen.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 2:57 p.m.

So if a group claims responsibility for an attack, we just presume it is true?

What an interesting way to solve crimes. No need to investigate! Just wait for the guilty to call in. Can't wait for that TV show spin off: NCIS Telephone Operator.

• Melanna Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2012 2:39 p.m.

The shock! The horror! How dare the President not release information in an ongoing investigation! How dare he not publicly give the terrorists their due and glorify their actions as soon as they occurred! The nerve!

When a gunman entered a Colorado theater and shot a bunch of citizens, many MANY posters stated that we should focus on the victims and not give recognition to the perpetrator, as that recognition just feeds into his bad behavior.

But, when it is Obama not giving recognition to terrorists who take credit for something they may or may not have done, why, that is just shameful and terrible! How dare we not feed into their quest for power and recognition!

I don't give the south end of a north bound rat who did it. Four Americans lost their lives and it is our duty to work to prevent such events in the future. If it makes you feel better to identify it as "terror" instead of a mob gone while - then pat yourselves on the back and feel better. If it makes you feel better to blame the President instead of the perpetrators - then have at it! Enjoy!

• Conner Johnson
    Oct. 24, 2012 2:38 p.m.

There was no cover-up, just a simple case of the media giants having their way. Personally, I don't think the American people are ready for Republican rule just yet. 4 more years of the Obama administration will help us forget about the 8 years of terror under the Bush administration. Simply put, the 'cool' candidate should rise to the top. Now it's up to the people to decide just who that is.

• athought Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 12:53 p.m.

@xscribe

Thanks for your concern about by wages -- actually my anniversary date for my pay increase is still a couple months away, so I did get an increase in late 2008. My last cost of living was January 2009, after which wages and COLA's were frozen, until about 2 months ago.

So, yeah, I guess you're right -- in the past 4 years, which I stated wrong and thank you for pointing that out, actually 3 years and 9 months, I am as far as wages goes, 1.2% better off (I figured I could buy a coke a week from our vending machine with the increase). In the meantime, because of budget cuts, I lost my part time employee I was supervising, so now I'm doing my job, plus her's, not to mention that we've just brought in another agency, which added 35% more workload. So, I'm putting in more hours -- don't get overtime -- but hey, I got a 1.2% COLA!!!! Yay me, so wow, under Obama, according to all you lovers out there, I'm better off. Thank you for pointing that out -- think I'll go get that coke.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 12:53 p.m.

@rifleman
    first all your comment about the electoral college (off topic by the way) only proves my point that people like you are interested in this issue purely because you think it will give you a political edge not because of the life's lost, but feel free to continue to twist and bend the facts.

@athought
    spin away but the news conference was called because of the attacks and 9/11 was mentioned in relation to the fact that it was another case of a terrorist attack. I would hope that as you wrote your paper this would become more clear to you and the disrespect you are showing to those who died.

there is a reason Romney did not try to make these claims during the last debate. Because it is a falsehood and cost him in terms of credibility after the second debate.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 12:42 p.m.

The fact that claims were made doesn't make them true. Not talking about the claims while they are being investigated is wise and prudent. Saing things that have the possibility to provoke an international incident (and make things worse then they already wre) before the facts are in -- what Romney did -- is both unwise and extemely unpatriotic. Romney was playing politics, and proved himself unworthy of the presidency in the process.

• athought Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 12:30 p.m.

@Tolstoy

To call me disrepectful is totally your priviledge as a "good citizen", however, I would suggest you go back and read the transcript of your buddy's Rose Garden statements and then go on with your biased interpretation.

In paragraph 3 he says, specifically talking about the Lybian attacks,"The United States condemns in the strongest terms this outrageous and shocking attack."

Paragraph 8 goes on to talk about the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks (remember that?) and talks about the lives lost and then adds hearing about the Benghazi attacks.

In paragraph 10 he states, "No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation," never said "terrorism".

Now, intrepret it any way you want. But, if I were to be writing this up as a paper for school, I would bring the statement of "acts of terror" a little closer to the statement I was making about the 4 American's lives lost.

Even at that, by your words you're defending him and his administration's lies for the next 2 weeks saying it was an uprising because of a stupid video? I have respect for the ones who died, where's Obama's and yours?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2012 12:29 p.m.

Re: Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    "what is disrespectful is people like you trying to spin your wed of lies ..."

We are now finding out that all that nonsense about an anti-Muslim video being responsible was just that ..... nonsense.

If you've seen the latest RCP electoral college numbers you must surely realize that the American voters aren't buying Obama's failure to provide protection for our Ambassador and then trying to cover it up.

He who laughs last on Nov. 6th will laugh best.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 24, 2012 12:27 p.m.

athought: "Luckily, I still have my job, but I can't say I'm any better off since he went in. I finally got a cost of living raise and my wages unfrozen so possibly can get a pay increase, the first in '4 years.'"

Obama has not been in office 4 years yet, so apparently you are better off since he's been president.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 12:06 p.m.

cover-up. much worst than watergate as four americans were murdered and barry stays on the campaign trail. obama is shameless

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    Oct. 24, 2012 11:54 a.m.

H Clinton is a pro when it comes to ambiguous excuses.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 11:49 a.m.

@athought
    what is disrespectful is people like you trying to spin your wed of lies about what happened to try to score cheep political points. It is a well documented fact (watch the video of the press conference) that Obama called it an act of terror the day after it happened (he called the press conference to address the attacks not to make some general statement about terror as people like you claim) try showing some respect for those that died, otherwise your thoughts are not worth the time to read them.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 24, 2012 11:33 a.m.

Obama couldn't blame Bush for his failure to protect our Ambassador of the brave men who died with him so he went with option B. Blame some guy that made an anti-Muslim video. The more they deny what they knew and when they knew it the worse it gets for them in the eyes of the voters.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Oct. 24, 2012 11:29 a.m.

This isn't breaking news. I first heard reports of Islamist claims of responsibility on the news as they were broadcasting the first reports of the attack.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 24, 2012 11:21 a.m.

How about the thosands of American guns to Mexican cartels? Many killed by them, yet an executive order prevented an investigation.

• athought Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 11:15 a.m.

I'm sorry for the losses in Lybia, and I know no words can compensate the families of the slain. But to have the current administration spin their lies for two weeks afterwards is totally shameful and a slap in the face. It only shows there was no compassion for what their loved ones went through. I hope all you Obama lovers can now see through not only these lies, but all the others he's telling. But, you sheep who he controls, go ahead and vote him back in. I was hoping for his changes, but the only changes I've seen in the past 3 1/2 years have only been bad for the American people. Luckily, I still have my job, but I can't say I'm any better off since he went in. I finally got a cost of living raise and my wages unfrozen so possibly can get a pay increase, the first in 4 years. Any of you who say you're better off, good on ya, but I don't believe it. It's more important for Obama to be on Letterman and Leno than taking care of business.