Sports

High school football: State tournament pairings (updated with times)

Comments

• PKW MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 9:38 a.m.

I think it is a sad day when you get someones hopes up and then take it away.Even though East is playing I think they should have not taken the chance for Cyprus to play away! Very many disappointed players,coaches and parents. I think this whole think was handled poorly and I think there should have been a spot made up to place Cyprus in the playoffs! Sad day!

• needruff LOGAN, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Well, I think it's going to be cool that the real best teams will meet right away. East, Logan, Timp view. MC got lucky with their draw. Other than Bountiful, should make state game easily. Logan definateley got screwed in this. But if you going to be the best you should have to beat the best. Just like they did last year.

• Just Saying 2 Morgan, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 12:15 p.m.

Are these final? UHSAA you going to change your mind again? Why doesn't East play Timpview in the play in game and then have to play on the road every game, but take the spot of Region 8 #1 seed. That would make it fair to the teams that didn't do anything wrong. Or does that proposal make too much sense for the UHSAA to handle?!?!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 8:07 p.m.

Did Cyprus earn the right to play in the playoffs with their on-field play? If not they don't deserve to be in.

• PKW MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 8:43 p.m.

You know Cyprus has come a lonnnnnnnnnng way.They have done so much better this season with the new coach.Right or wrong,why get there hopes up and then take it away from them? Do you call that right? No matter anyway they are not in it.But just watch out next year because they are going to have a good team and hopefully earn a TRUE spot in the playoffs. Just sayn'

• southpride56 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 9:53 p.m.

Region 9 will win it all no doubt in my mind

• ClassOf2013 Stansbury Park, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 12:15 p.m.

@southpride56

Watch out for Stansbury! I think they will surprise you!

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 1:16 p.m.

I have to send some love to Wasatch's team. They finally knocked the PC monkey off their back. To my friends and family at my alma mater, congrats. Also, I've heard that the PC coaches and players were calling you classless after the game and I want to say that from a parent/fans view, that is not the case. It's been a very trying few years for PC football after having been one of the better 3A teams year in year out before Matich left. I'm sure that their frustration was just coming out and they should apologize for those comments. When you haven't beaten your rival for 10 years and you finally do it, I think that a celebration is warranted, and I wouldn't say that yours was excessive at all. I noticed players on both sides were very emotional and excited during the game and you would expect that in a rivalry game, but overall, I thought both teams maintained composure throughout the game. Good luck in the playoffs.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 3:57 p.m.

southpride56

Juan Diego wins this state title.

You watch and See for your self!

Stansbury has found alot of ways to win games about poor competition. Well see how good you are now mr stallions, and yes same with JD in there Region, but they have the most determination Ive seen from a team in a very long time.

Sooo happy East gets to play Herriman on saturday! I get to go to see this so called amazing Herriman team,! lose first round at home!

Should be a fun week of high school football

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 4:52 p.m.

One could argue that Cyprus deserves to be in because they played their entire season with legal players...

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 5:09 p.m.

If Jordan can give up 33 points and nearly lose to Cottonwood, and can give up 37 points to West Jordan, I'd have to say their defense might have something to worry about with Pleasant Grove scheduled in round 1. PG is pretty talented, and coach Les Hamilton has a good record against Jordan from his days at Alta. Should they beat PG, which they are certainly favored to do, I still think Syracuse is favored to take the title this year, if my Alta Hawks don't get revenge in round 2 from their first round loss last year, that is. As talented as Jordan is this year, I just don't think a championship is on their horizon. Kafentzis may have to wait one more year to achieve that particular goal.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 21, 2012 5:18 p.m.

@ southpride56,

you heard it here first,your #1 team from down south, will play their last game of this season at the Eagles Nest when they play JD... just like you and your pride in the south, I have pride in my Soaring Eagle..

JD FAN TO THE FULLEST..!!

• southpride56 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 5:22 p.m.

Stansbury=overrated

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 7:30 p.m.

Not so fast - if you look at KSL, it appears that Herriman has filed a motion to the UHSAA. This fat lady hasn't sung yet!

• Kipp Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 7:36 p.m.

Mark my words, East will cruise to a state title!

• ClassOf2013 Stansbury Park, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 7:44 p.m.

Stansbury doesn't play in the best region, but they had to beat Morgan, and beat Desert Hills who beat Hurricane. Don't forget that they are 10-0. I see them playing for a state championship. Maybe in a rematch with Desert Hills?

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 21, 2012 9:13 p.m.

Reagion 9 or any other region is going to be surprised to see how REAL the JD Soaring Eagle is this year. dont under estimate a team by what Region their in. this JD Team is te Best team its ever had IMO,including the teams that won the state titles. and its full of juniors. I will say it first JD wins State..!! lets get it boys...AC2 is watching..!!

JD FAN TO THE FULLEST

• OneManWolfPack St George, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 7:59 a.m.

We all know that Juan Diego is for real, calm down! Winner of Juan Diego and Hurricane will play winner of Spanish Fork and Desert Hills in the final.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 9:24 a.m.

Should be #1 in Region now #3 Timpview vs. #1 in Region Logan. #1 in Region Herriman vs. Should be #1 in Region, now #4 East. (Sorry Mtn. View you will not win). Also a tough Woods Cross and Box Elder teams all on the same side of the bracket. Way to go UHSAA, this was a great move on your part. NOT!

#2 State / #1 4A - East (8-1)
    #4 State / #2 4A - Timpview (9-1)
    #9 State / #4 4A - Logan (8-2)
    #12 State / #5 4A - Herriman (8-2)
    #14 State / #6 4A - Woods Cross (7-3)
    Unranked / #10 4A - Maple Mountian (8-2)

All on the same side of the bracket. 48-11 on one side of the bracket. Add Westlake (3-6), Unranked State, who knows 4A and #18 State / # 9 Box Elder (6-4) and the record is still 58-20

Whats the other side of the bracket look like.

#7 State / #3 4A - Mtn Crest. (7-3)
    #15 State / #7 4A - Bountiful (7-3)
    #16 State / #8 4A - Highland (6-4)
    #24 State / #10 4A - Orem (7-3)
    (6-4) Olympus
    (5-4) Skyline
    (7-3) Timpview
    (5-5) Skyview

Sad!

• InterestedObserver Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 11:37 a.m.

@ Just Saying 2

That was a very good idea.

How about the Monument Valley @ Rich Game
    I googled the mileage: 492 miles, some 8.85 Hours... Average speed = 56 Miles per hour
    Lots of climbs on the bus, MV is about about 5200 feet, you have a climb to Monticello at 7100 ft, solder summit 7800, Park City 6700 and then some point toward Evanston has to be 7000+. Need to charter a Jet and it would still be 2 hours. Good Luck to the MV Mustangs!!!

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2012 11:40 a.m.

Utah Bruin- I just had a brain cramp from reading your post! Owie! I'll get my engineer friend to help me decipher later I guess.

Wolfpack- Whaaaattt? you're not on the PV bandwagon? What about R9 domination? tsk,tsk, I'm surprised you're picking Spanish. Oh, and Wasatch should beat DH. And it wouldn't even be an upset.

Mykal- JD is definitely the team to beat no doubt. We found that out the hard way, bummer. Once that train gets rolling, it's tough to catch up. But, anything can happen, so let the fun begin right?

Wasp- what happened to Juab? I honestly don't mean any disrespect, it's just that they looked so promising and then kind of fell off the radar.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 1:18 p.m.

When/If this all gets decided, good luck to Sky View, Logan and Mountain Crest.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2012 3:15 p.m.

Correction:
    Updated with SOME of the times.

• Goldendomer Holladay, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 5:49 p.m.

"Just sayin" that is an excellent idea. Why not place the two teams that decided not to follow the rules against one another in the first round? Then at least one of them would be eliminated.

We could call it the "Cheating is OK Bowl" sponsered by the New England Patriots and Lance Armstrong.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 22, 2012 6:20 p.m.

@yankees27,

hi there, man its been a crazy season. I enjoyed the wasatch crowd, you are a group of very classy fans, nothing but love for all the wasp fans. after the game I spent about half an hour in the parking lot talking with the fans from heber, they are down to earth folks and can tailgate with me anytime.

p.s did u watch my #55...lol

@ onemanwolf

I am calm, it just gets old when everyone says JD is in a weak region and therefore JD is weak, trust me JD is far from that,and have 3 state titles to prove it. JD didnt pick what region to play in they just play. everyone(not everyone but alot of folks) from down south seems to think that region 9 is the region to beat,I just seem to think, its not the region its the team you have to beat, thats all.no hard feelings my friend its all in good fun, when it comes down to it, its all about the kids...!! and in the playoffs anything can happen..

JD FAN TO THE FULLEST..!!

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 7:01 p.m.

@ Mykaljordan
    Down here in region 9 we play where ya live. We don't have the benefit of seeking out players and giving them scholarships. Yall should be ashamed if you don't compete for state every year. Even my sheep can understand that concept.

• southpride56 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 7:15 p.m.

@mykaljordan

region 9 gets tested every weak and in turn makes them stronger
    playing cupcakes every week nobody really knows how good you are
    We can only guess if you are the JD of old or a good team in a really bad conference

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 8:39 p.m.

Defense wins championships

So if Syracuse is the real deal on defense they have the edge in 5a

I give the edge in 4a to Timpview, they seem focused on football and not the drama that is 4a

3a... JD wins - they have the defense that a lot of 4a and 5a schools wish they had

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 23, 2012 4:25 a.m.

@Jo momma,
    Good thing my son plays on the right team,since I live in JD boundaries .

@southpride

so your stronger teams(since they get tested every week) so have nothing to worry about when they play our Cupcake JD Eagle.. you're in for a big surprise .

JD FAN TO THE FULLEST

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 23, 2012 2:31 p.m.

Don't count out Lone Peak. I think most people are overlooking them, but the fact of the matter is, they are 3 plays away from being an undefeated team. They have the best receiver/athlete in the state, not one, but two quarterbacks who can make plays, an outstanding receiving corps, and they seem to be coming together at the right time. The defense finally seems to be getting its act together. When all is said and done, don't count those guys out, and don't be surprised if they upset Jordan in the semis.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cottonwood upset Bingham. They're just one of those teams that you never know what you're going to get. One week they'll look like world beaters, the next they look pathetic. After seeing LP shred Bingham's secondary in the second half, I think C-wood will do the same and give Bingham a lot more than they wanted. Should be a good one. The PG/Jordan game may be a little interesting as well.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Oct. 23, 2012 6:33 p.m.

@eagle, that's a weak arguement, Copper Hills, Hillcrest, Murray, and many others also played an entire season with legal players and you don't have their fans on here complaining that they didn't get a gift slot in the playoffs now do you?

• d0wns0uth Hurricane, UTAH
    Oct. 24, 2012 7:11 a.m.

This year will be a more rounded type of year in 3A where everybody is playing good foozball. I have my favorite but first above all nobody gets hurt and may each town have class this year as well. SF and JD I believe will be playing in the end this year but this is a who knows type of year.

• OneManWolfPack St George, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 10:03 a.m.

@mykaljordan
    I never said anything about region 9 being the toughest I just said who I thought would be playing in other rounds, nothing else. Wasatch is good and I haven't discounted them, I just feel that DH at home is tough to beat so I picked DH. Don't kill me for some logic just my opinion. Wasatch is good and hopefully they beat BRiver to prove that!

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 10:27 a.m.

@ADwight

Lone Peak Lost to Timpview 4A, Bountiful at home also 4A.

Lone Peak lost to the same PG team that Bingham beat by 30 points.
    Bingham has won 3 games

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 10:34 a.m.

@ mykal
    You are a private school so even my sheep herder cousins in New Zealand are in your boundarys. Region 9 will win state again this year.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 11:45 a.m.

@binghamfan

Yes I said they lost those games. Lonepeak missed 2 chip shot field goals to beat timpview (who should have beat alta, but missed a field goal... who beat bingham... therefore they are better than bingham... but they never played so qho knows? you cant use the transitive property in football im sorry), got a tough personal foul penalty on an interception against bountiful, and in the pg game the pg receiver dropped the ball in the endzone, yet it was still called a touchdown. By your logic lone peak wouldnt have a prayer of beating bingham... but what was the result of the actual game?

Im not making excuses for them, all im trying to point out is that they were extremely close to being an undefeated football team. They are a dangerous team that can beat anyone. Theyve played one of the toughest schedules in the state. They have the tools, and if they put it together they could make a deep run and possibly win the whole thing. Dont count them out, especially with a freak athlete in Talon Shumway leading the way.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 1:47 p.m.

adwright,

Ive tried commenting 3 times on this inregards to your post about dont sit on Lp!

lose to 2 4A teams,
    Lose to PG after barely surviving Bingham at Home

Bingham won the next 3 games, 139-14 and beat PG after they beat you guys by 35 points.

Bingham has a very easy Draw first two games, Cottonwood wont do anything.

Lone Peak better watch out for Brighton who they are probably overlooking.

I know you have good WR's and you beat Bingham wit ha back up qb going 14-14 in the 2nd half and throws a strike to shumway to end it with a TD.

Lone Peak showed up against Bingham, at Home, won by 4 points, and then proceded to rush the field like you just had won the state title.

What high school wins state in Football, the next year then Beats Bingham at home by 4 points, and rushes the field. ??? Lone Peak does!

Defending Champs, and Beat a average Bingham Team. with two QB system and no solid RB like Bingham has had. Feel Jordans pain in the Semi's they wont lose this year, no Chase Hansen.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 24, 2012 2:09 p.m.

@Jo momma,
    your future boys need to be good at school first, football is secondary and can end in a second,but education is forever, I don't know much about scholarships , but I see no reason that they couldn't attend JD,Its a private school for everyone, race, religion ,rich,poor it doesn't matter,its what the parents think is best for their children..my kids go there and even attend the early morning seminary at the chapel across the street..

May the Force be with you sheep master..

• amanap Washington, ut
    Oct. 24, 2012 2:46 p.m.

@MykalJordan

Does that include those bad at sports and football or do you guys discriminate against them?

• amanap Washington, ut
    Oct. 24, 2012 2:47 p.m.

@Jo Momma

I agree with you that the costco team will be in it, toughest game will be Friday. Fairness you seek Jo Momma, in Utah you won't find. If your Cedar team could get some of those that JD does, good you could be.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 6:39 p.m.

And who acts like 5 year old when someone is merely saying to watch out for lone peak. Sounds like sour grapes from 2 years of losing.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 24, 2012 6:53 p.m.

@amanap,

anyone is welcome to come and be an Eagle..I have 2 boys there, one plays football one doesnt..

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Oct. 27, 2012 5:27 p.m.

Okay, lets take a look at this JD/H-Town game/rivalry. First, the only "common" opponent they played was Skyline. Lets look at the tape: JD 27 Skyline 19 (8 point win for Soaring Eagle) - H-Town 20 Skyline 7 (13 point win for Tigers). Pretty close match-up IMHO. Edge? H-Town (just slightly).

The Tigers, however, did lose their starting Quarterback (Zach Prince) in the Desert Hills game (which was lost in triple overtime). Edge? Juan Diego.

Juan Diego has dedicated their season to a fallen team-mate (Adam Colosimo) and has gained strength from this dedication. H-Town is also playing for a former team-mate who was recently diagnosed with leukemia (Brian Scott). Edge? Push.

If the Tigers had their starting Quarterback, I'd say this was going to be an epic battle (even though its on JD's home turf) and the prediction would be as close as my shave this morning. Even with an outstanding backfield including Edwards and Thompson, with the loss of Prince at QB, it looks like the Soaring Eagle have too much for the Tigers to overcome.

Prediction? JD 31 H-Town 14