Sports

BYU Football: 17-year-old Jamaal Williams stepping up in place of Michael Alisa

Comments

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 18, 2012 11:27 p.m.

Riverton Cougar

Fair input and assessment. While my saintly patience is sorely tried by the group that is constantly calling for Bronco's head in a trash can, it certainly would APPEAR that somewhere in the braintrust is a fixation for a running quarterback, and that our experience with that this year SHOULD close the book on that experiment.

Next year, let Taysom run when he HAS to, maybe the rare... no, never mind. Only when he has to. And the reality is (and I am okay with it) that with a line of primarily returned missionary types going against increasingly powerful defensive fronts, unfortunately, he will HAVE to run more than often enough to take advantage of that physical capacity.

But it's OUR coach, OUR qb, OUR defense, OUR line, OUR RMs, OUR team. Fair weather fans, if your quest for perfection has driven you to poor sportsmanship and lack of civility to the team that carries OUR flag, do yourselves and everyone else a favor and cheer for Oregon. Or Oregon State if you have to have an underdog with moments of greatness. I can barely tolerate trolls. Fairweather fans are killing me!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Oct. 18, 2012 10:53 p.m.

"And to the yahoos that keep complaining about Riley at the helm, do you beleive that if we had another, better option on the bench that he wouldn't get the chance? . . . I appreciate Lark's loyal fans, but I gotta think there is a reason he hasn't gotten his chance."

I've heard from sources that the reason Lark hasn't had a chance is because Doman doesn't like Lark. Doman is a running QB and prefers the running QBs. We better get rid of that attitude or get rid of Doman before Tanner Mangum gets back from his mission.

I liked the idea of Doman as OC, but the more I hear the less I like it now. Doman should be on the hot seat.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 18, 2012 10:26 p.m.

Amen Riley!

And to the yahoos that keep complaining about Riley at the helm, do you beleive that if we had another, better option on the bench that he wouldn't get the chance? Shoot, Taysom did get the chance, and his running is more impressive than Riley's (too bad). His arm WILL be great (probably) but currently is only so-so, and while he doesn't make some of the bone-head mistakes that Riley makes, he takes more sacks.

I appreciate Lark's loyal fans, but I gotta think there is a reason he hasn't gotten his chance. The "anybody but Riley" bandwagon is stupid, because there isn't a better option, it's disloyal if you are truly a fan of the team because he's the best we've got, and it's just plain mean, because you under-the-bus gang had ought to know better.

• Broom Hockey Champ Scottsdale, AZ
    Oct. 18, 2012 11:17 a.m.

I'll be watching. I love what this guy is bringing and hope to see more of it. I can't believe he's just a freshman and a young one at that!

I'm excited to see him continue to grow mentally physically, socially and spiritually (I know he's not LDS but that does not mean he can't grow in this area of his life at BYU) at BYU.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 18, 2012 9:56 a.m.

This kid can run. I'm happy for him. I don't know if the team will bowl qualify, but I'll still watch the game.

• OhioCougar Madison, Ohio
    Oct. 18, 2012 8:49 a.m.

How is the season over? I love watching BYU football (with the exception of the Utah games the past couple of years). Win or lose, I love these guys and what they stand for. Let's have respect for how hard they work. I'll be tuning into every game the rest of the season--it's not over for me.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 18, 2012 6:54 a.m.

How about an article about BYU football without quotes from Riley Nelson? Is this just lazy reporting or can't we hear about Williams without hearing from grits. Let's put a gag on Riley until he does something positive worth talking about.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2012 6:14 a.m.

Truly exciting to see this young man carry the ball.

Cougars need more of this!

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 11:21 p.m.

While I admire Riley's attitude, as long as he is the guy manning the attack, the season is over. I know it's harsh and I don't expect perfection but I do expect good decision making, and so far this season that has been woefully lacking from Riley. If he can demonstrate he's learned and improved, I'm willing to go back on my statement. But until then I stand by it. We still have some tough games ahead, teams we cannot run over. And those are to be tough games.