U.S. & World

Conservatives remind Mitt Romney of abortion pledge

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 6:06 p.m.

Obama quietly signed an executive order on abortions his first week in office. It was called the Mexico City Policy and opened up federal funding for international organizations who performed abortions.
    He's the devil we know.
    Mitt is the devil we don't know. It worries conservatives, but if you call them the Tea Party I guess that's OK, even in Utah.
    Put a label on them and marginalize them.
    Romney won't lose conservative voters...only their trust.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 12:16 p.m.

SS said: Also, a non-living things don't grow. Does a fetus grow . . . yep!

Yep, so does a tumor in a man should we force men to let tumors or cancer run their course?

SS also said: How can a body move if it doesn't have a spirit to control it?

Science is not your strong point, is it?

SS also said: I don't know where you got the idea that the spirit enters the body at birth.
    Maybe, his religion teaches that, does that make his religion wrong?
    Not everyone believe the same.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 11:59 a.m.

To SS 10:38 a.m. Oct. 11, 2012

If you believe that, then tell me why the LDS Church will not seal stillborns and miscarried fetuses to their parents. I know the answer -- when my husband and I were sealed, we wanted our miscarried fetuses sealed to us. Church regulations prohibited it. The answer we were given -- to be eligible for any vicarious ordinances including children being sealed to parents, it is necessary that all of the parties to the ordinance had lived. Because the miscarried fetuses had not been born and drawn a breath, THEY WERE CONSIDERED NOT TO HAVE LIVED and were therefore not eligible for the ordinance. I got the same answer when I was doing my geneology and wanted to seal stillborns in my family line to their parents -- they were not eligible because, even though they had underwent a birth process, they had not drawn a breath; therefore they were considered not to have lived. For a church that believes all people who have lived need to receive certain ordinances, and those ordinances are denied because parties had not lived, that seems pretty conclusive to me.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Oct. 11, 2012 10:38 a.m.

@ Furry,

I don't know where you got the idea that the spirit enters the body at birth, but it is simply not true! You have no General Authority or scripture to back you up. Sorry.

Also, a non-living things don't grow. Does a fetus grow . . . yep!

How can a body move if it doesn't have a spirit to control it?

@ LDS Liberal

So we should just let people make any "personal" choice they feel is right for them without looking at any of the consequences because it is none of our business? What a joke!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Sanpete, UT

Please enligten me, then, how a non-living thing in the uterus is able to suffocate,have blood flow, and have a heart beat.

8:05 p.m. Oct. 10, 2012

The same way my brother was already dead before the ambulance picked him up off the street after the motorcycle accident.

No breath,
    No heartbeat,
    No bloodflow.

Like Pro-Choice laws,
    My family and our Doctors could CHOOSE to hold life support without the threat of criminal charges and going to jail.

It's none of the Government's, You, or your Political Parties business about these things.
    That's why!

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 9:51 a.m.

To TOO 8:05 p.m. Oct. 10, 2012

The question I ask of you is this -- how do you define life? Is it the human spirit that exists prior to mortality, inhabits a moral body to "navigate" on the earth, and then passes into immortality? Or is life limited to a physical body that exists first as a parasitic life form in the uterus and then as an independent being on the earth?

I believe it is the former, and pregnancy is just the "factory" that constructs the physical body into which a pre-existing, living human spirit enters at birth and signifies its existence of the body by drawing a breath -- the living corporeal human being comes into existence at birth. Your comment seems to imply that your definition is the latter.

To Millsap fan 9:24 p.m. Oct. 10, 2012

Agreed. And, especially, take steps to insure that, if sexually active, the pregnancy will not start. In other words, if sexually active, use contraception.

• Millsap fan Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 9:24 p.m.

A few facts on abortion:

Only one percent of abortions result from incest or rape. 3/4 of abortions are for unmarried women. According to recent polls 3/4 of women who aborted a child regretted it.

Let's look at countries where abortions are federally funded.... south africa for example is plagued with 13 year old moms, infested with aids, stricken by poverty. And planned parenthood wants to perpetuate the cycle and bring it to our shores. No thanks.

Instead lets teach young women to respect their bodies and be pro choice and plan AHEAD!. Plan to Respect your body. Practice abstinence or at least plan ahead or deal with the consequences.

• SS MiddleofNowhere, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2012 8:59 p.m.

Also, all of you pro choice supporters who think that a woman should have the right to choose to kill her offspring should apply that to other things and see if that logic works for you.

-I think that people should be able to do any drugs because it is their body and they aren't affecting anyone else.

-I think that people should be able to speed down the highway because it is their life.

-I think people should be able to text and drive because it is their life.

-I think that people should be able to commit suicide (which is ridiculous anyway because what do you do to them when they are dead?) because it is their life.

Basically you are saying that people should be able to do anything they want because it is their life. What happened to responsibility and laws governing and protecting people, even if, and especially if they can't protect themselves.

I am pro-choice, people can make any choice they want, but they should live with the consequences. A woman makes her choice long before she is pregnant. That's the way God set it up.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2012 8:11 p.m.

Is there anyone other prominent, high profile person in America who could tell the public, "I said what I said whatever it was that I said whenever I said it".
    Any other person in history running for the highest position in the world utter such words?
    Any other candidate hire a staff to sweep up his comments two hours following "what he said", and tell the public, "he did not really meant what he said"?

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 8:05 p.m.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:35 p.m.

@ute alum

really that is what you take from the Kalindras comment? why do I get the feeling you are trying to avoid the meat of her argument.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:28 p.m.

@ ute alumni: I sorry you object to the correct use of medical terminology.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 6:35 p.m.

All this mania drives me nuts. Romney gets elected by a bunch of people who obviously support "legal" abortion so he goes along with them in order to govern. He is not responsible for their misbehavior nor can he do anything about it. It is their choice to abort according to the law so it happens. Romney is not responsible to make everyone walk his walk. He is faithful LDS and does not approve of abortion nor does his church, however, this is a free country.

What makes you all think that a President can enforce his morals on those who may elect him?
    He is there to enforce the law and right now, abortion sadly is the law of the land.
    Get off his case. Quit muddying the water...we need him for the good of the country.

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 6:29 p.m.

All of you for Obama get your act together and see what kind of person that man really is. Right now we are talking about abortion we have a much bigger problem with Obama than with what Mitt Romney has to say. He will be a pro-life president I am sure of that but what people are forgetting right now is that we have four people who have died and the White House is trying to cover this up big time. We are not stupid here and most of us know what Obama is trying to do. Watergate never killed anyone so now we the People deserve to have the right answers on this. Like I said we have bigger problems to deal with than Romney back tracking what he said. He will protect the lives of the unborn I am sure of it. What are we going to do though with a President and all who follow him about Libyia?

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 6:13 p.m.

To ute alumni 4:36 p.m. Oct. 10, 2012

try calling it a baby not a fetus. I guess that makes it easier to kill.

Until there is a birth and the breath of life is drawn, the product of conception is a fetus and not a baby. Pregnancy is the process by which a body is constructed to house the spirit that will inhabit it during mortality. Prior to birth and breath, there is no baby, child, infant, or any other label you want to apply to it. Until the spirit has joined the body at birth there is no human life that an be terminated.

That being said, I believe there are only a very few acceptable reasons for theraputic pregnancy termination -- if the life or health of the pregnant woman is in significant peril, if the pregnancy started as a result of rape or incest, or if there is a fatal fetal deformity (the same reasons that are deemed acceptable by the LDS Church). BUT that is my opinion and my standards. I argue strongly against abortion, but I don't believe it appropriate to impose my standards on anyone else. Let the woman decide.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 4:51 p.m.

ute alumni said:
    kalindra try calling it a baby not a fetus. I guess that makes it easier to kill.

Try calling him the President instead of "boy" it make you sound like a racist, when you think your being clever several times a day.

Mitt's getting caught by the people he lied to last month, too funny.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 4:42 p.m.

I am and have been a staunch Romney supporter for 6 years. He is misrepresented again and again if you go to primary source material. He voted against every pro-abortion bill that crossed his desk.

That said, I admit I do not agree with every position he holds and I am saddened at this flip-flop. No candidate is perfect and I still support him because he will turn around the economy but I hate the double-talk.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 4:36 p.m.

try calling it a baby not a fetus. I guess that makes it easier to kill.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:37 p.m.

@ ute alumni: Again with the misrepresentations. Illinois has had a law on the books for many, many years stating that when an abortion procedure involves a fetus that has reached the point of viability, there must be a second doctor present who will care for the baby should it survive the abortion attempt.

Obama never tried to change that and never said anything against that policy.

He voted against a second piece of legislation that would do the exact same thing.

How many laws do you need addressing one issue? Why continue to pass the same law over and over instead of addressing new issues?

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:09 p.m.

Yeap and Obama never changes his mind. Actually I wish he would on many things, like late term abortion. He won't. Killing a surviving abated baby apparently is okay with Barry.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Don't like a position Romney has taken? Wait a few minutes -- it will change and you might like it then. Flip. Flop. Flip. Flop.

This is NOT what we need for President.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:45 p.m.

The DesNews posted the story that Romney pledged not to push abortion legislation at 11:18 pm on 10/9. This story posted 1:48 pm on 10/10. A mere 14.5 hours between statement and backtrack. Is this a record for the man? He hewed far right during the primaries. Having secured the nomination, he's tacking centrist to woo the undecideds. Nice to see the right trying to rein him in to some consistent position. Romney has staked out so many positions on this issue over the years, pandering to all, and couched in so many weasel words that he can't be held to any particular position.

One consistent theme I hear from the right is that conservatives stand solidly on unchanging bedrock principles (rooted in the Bible and/or the Constitution). I guess we know that Romney is not a "real" conservative. (But that was never in dispute.)

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:34 p.m.

There is a reason the Romney "seems" to be softening his far right stance.

It's because HE IS.

During the primaries, Romney tried to portray himself as the "Severe Conservative" that he is NOT.

Now he has the GOP nomination, it is time to pander to the reasonable folks in the middle.

Certainly, the far right will not vote for Obama, regardless of how moderate Romney becomes.

Remember that fear that Romney was more of a moderate? Well, he IS.

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:29 p.m.

"There's no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda."

This man is so full of weasel words, they're hard to keep track of. All he's saying here is that he's not familiar with any legislation he would endorse. Show him a piece of legislation, and he might endorse it. Good grief, is this man beyond committing to any position or giving any specifics?

• Samuel the Liberalite Farmington, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:13 p.m.

White man speaks with Forked-tonuge.