U.S. & World

Teen returns to school after Mitt Romney T-shirt flap

Comments

• Mister J SLC, UT
    Oct. 13, 2012 6:14 p.m.

re: Rifleman 9:49 a.m. Oct. 9

You don't need school to learn Repubs are evil just watch Fixed Noise.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Oct. 13, 2012 5:33 a.m.

I had wonderful grammar teachers, and I would like to remind our many contributors of the differences between some words that are commonly confused.

THERE is an adverb that indicates location. We are going THERE after the movie. My car is over THERE.

THERE is also a pronoun used at the beginning of a sentence. THERE is no hope for that political party.

THEIR is the possessive form of they. They brought THEIR cat with them on vacation.

THEY'RE is simply the contraction of THEY and ARE. THEY'RE singing my favorite song.

I understood that it was my teachers' responsibilities to teach me the different subjects in school, but it was my responsibility to pay attention, study, remember, and use that knowledge properly in my own life. Most of my teachers also shared their opinions with the classes, but I don't recall any of it being brainwashing. For the most part, I learned how to live amongst people with differing opinions.

What this teacher did is wrong, but let's not blame the entire profession. I believe an important part of education is learning to live in a world of differing opinions.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Oct. 12, 2012 12:49 a.m.

Since I'm not a partisan I will say the actions of this teacher to ridicule this student in any way sickens me. Teach Geometry and keep your politics to yourself.

But I also feel disdain for the numerous administrators in this state that refused to show the President Obama speech on education. Bias or hatred for the president played a huge part in this and it was disconcerting.

Bottom line, don't be too strident in your politics and you can actually see things how they should be seen.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:14 p.m.

The teacher should be fired.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:10 p.m.

When I lived in Seattle, I remember a fair number of my friends from work absolutely aghast when they discovered I was supportive of conservative issues. Ultimately the belief that one's own political perspective is the only possible way to think of things is small-minded. All these political issues have differing points of view. And most of us want to do something decent with our lives. We just disagree in our priorities and some values. It's too bad this teacher couldn't recognize that.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:33 p.m.

The teachers apology would have been more sincere if she had stood in front of the studentbody to read it herself. I'm not surprized that she didn't have the strength of character to do that.

As it is, I hope she is not permitted to return to that school. She should be reassigned to another school and then watched like a hawk.

• Kirk R Graves West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:01 a.m.

From the article:
    "Gaymon, Pawlucy said, said it was a "Democratic" school and compared it to wearing a "KKK" shirt."

The irony of this is that most blacks in the south were originally Republicans, because it was Republicans who led the movement to put an end to slavery. It was the GOP that, for the next 100 years, kept introducing the Civil Rights legislation that was repeatedly shot down by the Democrats.
    It was the Republican platform that had anti-lynching legislation, anti-poll tax legislation, public accommodation legislation, etc. The Republican platform in 1956 endorsed Brown vs. Board of Education. The Democratic platform did not.
    White southerners (the same men involved in the Klan) were predominently Democrats!

• Christmas Carole LAS CRUCES, NM
    Oct. 10, 2012 10:45 a.m.

I'm VERY sad to see that in this "country of freedom", the "justice scales" have tipped to ALLOW BIGOTRY of conservative ideals. I KNOW that had the situation been reversed(seems there WAS something akin to this during the last election?..although on someones's lawn?), that the teacher would in all probability have been suspended and a possible riot/at least angry marching ensued. THIS kind of behavior is UNACCEPTABLE in ANY vein and venue, but ESPECIALLY to a minor in a "teachable", "vulnerable" circumstance!

P.S. To those who feel they are so "childish" as to correct others rather than reading what they have to say and wish to correct mine...GO FOR IT!!

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 9:27 a.m.

Riflema said:
    Re: RanchHand Huntsville, UT

How is it "unrelated" that several Utah School principals (much more than a single class) refused to air the President of the United States speech to school children about staying in school. Because they HATE our president and made that decision for the entire school because of their prejudice of the man or the democratic party, either way, I think it shows the height of hypocrisy that conservative republican believe in.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:48 a.m.

Re: RanchHand Huntsville, UT

You may think it is hypocritical to demand accountability from a teacher who got caught misbehaving because a young girl and her parents had the courage to stand up to her but I assure you that the rest of us don't. We don't condone the actions of this teacher, nor will we be baited into an unrelated story.

Student with T-shirt 1, misbehaving teacher 0.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:05 a.m.

Just fire the teacher to send a message that such behavior in the classroom is not acceptable. I'd have the same opinion if someone wore an Obama T-shirt and got belittled. The classroom isn't a forum for teachers to spout their political beliefs.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:05 a.m.

Do any of you recall that it was barely 4 years ago (not quite 4 yet) that Utah schools refused to let their students listen to a broadcast speech of a sitting President?

Hypocrites.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 6:17 a.m.

@ Fredd44

If this were an isolated case that would be one thing but it isn't. To suggest that this teacher's union didn't support her attitude is naive and we both know it. To suggest that liberal teachers in California aren't trying to indoctrinate their students on the "anything goes" sexual morality is being even more naive. The only reason we heard about this story is because one student and her parents had the guts to stand up to this tyranny and the teacher got caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 5:37 a.m.

I have to agree with the teachers course of action and sending this student home and change her dress, The class room is not the place for political brainwashing by any activist in any cause. Until children have become educated to learn and speak their own minds, other political activist causes and statement must be barred from the school and eduction system.

This student was clearly a political pawn for her parents or family friend and not a choice of her own understanding and making. Just as we cannot allow political activism to start in our schools for political gain, we also prohibit the use of children to advertise for commercial or organizes unions and national organizations like the UEA, NEA, PTA, and ALEC controls. They are not yet ready to form or make wise choices based on fact and not emotional political presentations.

There are reasons for age limiting voters and it has the same reasons to stop political activist and parents and teachers from operating in our education system and twitting infromation to influence the minds of the young and vulnerable. Free speech and free choice and free will is something learned, not programed into them.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2012 9:48 p.m.

Lost in DC,

Thanks for correcting my spelling errors, It didn't look right when I typed it, I should have taken the time to look up the correct spelling. Please however don't blame my teacher(s) for my spelling mistakes. I believe my mistakes are my responsibility I am not going to blame teachers for my shortcomings and I wish you wouldn't either.

Flying Finn, you say this hit a nerve, not really. There are those who participate in these discussions who always find fault with school teachers and their unions. I choose to believe that nearly all school teachers are working hard trying to do their best in incredibly difficult circumstances. I don't think we as a society do anything to help improve education by continually trashing teachers and their union, especially when most posters on here have no real knowledge about what teachers and there unions are doing other than what they here on FOX News.

This teacher needs to be held accountable for her mistake, nothing more nothing less. This has nothing to do with other teachers, the teachers union or anyone other than the teacher involved in this situation.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 8:14 p.m.

@ xscribe writes: "I can guarantee you children here in Colorado Springs hear just as much "brainwashing" propaganda."

Show us and prove your claim. This story obviously touched a sensitive nerve among the liberal faithful. They tell us they can match every incident we can recount, but when we ask them for just one example they follow Obama's lead and look down at the floor.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 6:36 p.m.

I believe it is hard to be in a classroom teaching, and not teach our own opinions. However this teacher went way beyond sharing her opinion. She actually pointed out and ridiculed one student for her personal opinion. This is bullying and totally wrong and she must be fired!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 9, 2012 5:51 p.m.

This is a classic example of bullying, not way around it, especially when an adult picks on a student. In addition I did think the apology was very weak. Notice the teacher didn't say I except when she said, "I was sad to see that WE let it get this far."

This teacher should be suspended and be recertified before she is allowed in the classroom. Of course if she is a Democrat, she'll most likely get a free pass.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 4:10 p.m.

I guess what bothers me the most is the teacher is not really sorry that she belittled the Romney supporter, just that her belittling caused a ruckus.

Fred44
    The word is “indict”, not “indite”

OHBU
    I saw no one taking back any words. Nor did I see him demonizing all teachers. Nice stretch and twist. And the plural use of the letter “s” does NOT involve an apostrophe. You and Fred must have had the same weak grammar teacher.

xscribe
    "I'll match you with the conservative teachers I listen to here in Colorado Springs!"
    "I'm not trying to match this story."
    You have me confused, Which is it? Will you match or not?

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Oct. 9, 2012 3:37 p.m.

Just wondering.... if the young lady had been wearing a shirt supporting Obama-Biden, or gay rights, or Occupy, what would the teacher's reaction have been?

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 9, 2012 2:51 p.m.

I iyou to come to Colorado Springs and talk to many teachers here, and see if they spout off conservative views or liberal views.

I'm not trying to match this story. This teacher was wrong and frankly should be fired. However, Rifleman spouted off about how this teacher "brainwashes" children, and I can guarantee you children here in Colorado Springs hear just as much "brainwashing" propaganda. These sorts of incidents aren't isolated to just liberals, and you and I and Rifleman all know that.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Oct. 9, 2012 2:04 p.m.

In every profession there are a few who believe that their opinions and views are the only acceptable ones.

In other professions, we ignore these blowhards. In the teaching profession it is tougher because the students lack the standing to fully protect themselves. But here the public reaction will serve not only Ms. Gaymon but any others who might be similarly minded (on either side of the political divide).

Public schools are not a place for politics - liberal or conservative. Any teacher who does not believe that should do the profession, themselves, and our kids a favor and leave. Now.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 1:31 p.m.

@ xscribe

Alright, I'll take you up on your offer. Match this story.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:49 p.m.

Waiting for Rifleman's response! And for every incident you recount about liberal teachers, I'll match you with the conservative teachers I listen to here in Colorado Springs!

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:44 p.m.

This student learned one thing. That teachers are not without faults and bigotry. My youngest son had to learn how to stay in a class and listen to the a female teacher share almost daily her dislike for men. He would come each day and we would discuss what had been said that day in her literature class. He learned more about the cultural bias of the day from her than about literature.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:33 p.m.

@ Fred44

Obviously this story struck a raw nerve. It portrays the thinking and mindset of a specific teacher and common sense would suggest that she isn't alone. Ever hear the folks down south saying "don't vote for the republicans cause they'll take your food stamps away"? Same mentality.

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:29 p.m.

Re: CottageCheese,

Or, obviously, the teacher is foolish. I have no idea what her political preferences are, or whether she has any at all. It's irrelevant. She's clearly foolish and doesn't deserve to keep her job. That's all I can infer. Where did you infer the rest?

• CottageCheese SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:18 p.m.

How ironic...

A teacher (obviously a liberal/democrat/obama supporter) is critical and intolerant of a piece of cloth expressing nothing more than support for a pair of men.

The party of tolerance in action! Once again!

Obviously Obama's trickle down government isn't working, because his supporters are not in tune with the tolerance that he apparently embraces and promotes.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:17 p.m.

Re: OHBU Columbus, OH
    "Unfortunately for both of you, we can actually go back and see what you said."

Yes, my comment is in black and white. I wrote: "Lynette Gaymon is a textbook example of the kind of teachers trying to brainwash." That isn't an indictment of ALL teachers, unless of course you are going to suggest that all teachers think as she does.

You really don't believe that .... do you?

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Rifleman,

Nice try but where does the article say that the teachers union(s) and there 3 million plus members support this teachers position? What I read was the teachers union was going to sit down with the teacher the parents and the administrator and work through the problem. Seems like a logical way to handle this situation.

You say that you don't indite a whole profession, but you say "the attitude of teachers in California", so I am guessing that you mean all California teachers have the same attitude on whatever you may be referring to? Isn't that an indictment on all California teachers?

Its to bad we can't look for good in people and in groups, that we may not always agree with, instead of attaching labels to them "liberal biased". I am sure that overzealous people supporting both political parties have done things that were inappropriate.

I know tolerance isn't real big for the far right unless of course it is one of there own who makes a mistake, I am sure that maybe even you have made a mistake somewhere in your life. This was wrong, but tyranny it was not.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Oct. 9, 2012 11:44 a.m.

Sorry Rifleman, you can't take back what you said. You called this teacher out (not the union) as a textbook example of the kind of teacher's indoctrinating our children. In other words, you demonized all teachers, and now you're trying to change your position. Sounds like you don't only support Romney, you follow his example. Unfortunately for both of you, we can actually go back and see what you said.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Re: Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    "Rifleman, Lets indite a profession that has over 6 million members by the actions of one teacher, that really makes a lot of sense."

Nice try but no cigar. This isn't an indictment of a profession but of the liberal biased teacher's union supporting this teacher. As you may, or may not, be aware the attitude of teachers in California is that they know better than the parents what is right for their children.

Thank goodness for those with the courage to speak out in the face of tyranny!!

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:34 a.m.

Rifleman,

Lets indite a profession that has over 6 million members by the actions of one teacher, that really makes a lot of sense. I know you can point out others who have used poor judgement as well. I am sure that no one in your chosen profession ever makes a mistake, exhibits poor judgement, or is incompetent.

Why don't we indite the entire medical profession because the doctor in Utah county was found guilty of murdering his wife. Why don't we indite all coaches because Jerry Sandusky is a pervert. Why don't we indite all Utah republican legislators because one of their members had an inappropriate relationship with a juvenile and they cheered him at the close of the session two years ago.

Sorry Rifleman teachers are people too! Lets not paint the whole profession by the actions of one, or lets paint every profession by the actions of one.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:31 a.m.

The teacher asked her to leave the room???
    Can that be right?
    That goes way beyond light-hearted ribbing. The teacher needs to be fired.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:27 a.m.

As a public school teacher for many years in a diverse inner city high school I valued the students who would share their beliefs and feelings. For over 18 years I and two other teachers held open discussion lunch. Our rules were simple, no put downs, listen quietly to any opinion and make sure you can give the source of your "facts". We didn't solve many world problems but many students learned to disagree without being disagreeable. And we as teachers sure learned a lot. Too bad this kind of teaching isn't part of every teacher's training.

• MGB Saint George, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:19 a.m.

Right on Rifleman!!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 9, 2012 9:49 a.m.

Lynette Gaymon is a textbook example of the kind of teachers trying to brainwash our children. Children are sent to school to learn, not to taught that all Republicans are evil.