Sports

High school football: Top 25, Week 8

Comments

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Oct. 7, 2012 12:03 p.m.

@fender

I already did i went from Hurricane, dixie, s. canyon, pine view to hurricane dixie des hills s. canyon.

snow canyon plays dixie which will be a hard game and they may lose.

however...pine views game is pointless in regards of playoffs because it is a non region. so their region record will stay at 2 and 3. if dixie wins next week then snow canyon will also be 2 and 3, therefore the last game consisting of these two teams will be the deciding factor.

also however...if snow canyon wins against dixie they will be 3 and 2. and pine view would have to win agains snow canyon just to tie with them for 4th

please don't ask me to change my opinions with 2 games left. it shows that you don't have respect for my opinions and are persuading me to root for the teams that you would want me to.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 7, 2012 7:15 a.m.

@H-Town

Wanna revise those Region Nine playoff picks now?

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2012 11:40 p.m.

Jo- Thank you for noticing our hair. We do like to look good, that's why our school is consistently named "best looking" student body. So, knowing that you guys down south are paying attention to what really matters means alot. I mean, so what if you win a few football games in high school? But if you are attractive and get the best public high school education the state has to offer, well, that translates into dollars not wool.

801- losing record teams get in the playoffs every year in every division, it's the way it's set up. Not sure which southern school you support, but the odds are that your school has gotten into the playoffs with either a losing or .500 record. It looks like this year Delta and Payson will make the playoffs with losing records and several 3-4 seeds will be in the .500 range. Don't like it? write your congressman, or Cuff, whichever responds first. Maybe 1 seeds should get byes if the 4 seed they are meant to play has a losing record? I would support that.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Oct. 6, 2012 4:38 p.m.

@all the PV followers, After watching PV the last few years it seems like the only thing that beats PV is, well, you know what it is and it's not the players on the field. This year they have beat the weak sisters and have lost to every good team, seems like a trend, you don't win anything on potential.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Oct. 6, 2012 2:55 p.m.

@joseywales

you do realize that last years 3A semis were comprised of 3 region 9 teams, right??? so i dont think its too farfetched that this years semis could very well have 2 from region 9. obviously hurricane & dixie stand the strongest to make it, but don't count out last years runner-ups desert hills. plus, with the emergence of prentiss miller and return of wilstead @ pine view, they would certainly be a tough match up with anybody. dont let their record fool you. and no, there isn't any bias or disrespect for any "northern" team, we're all from down here so we just discuss our local teams!!! whats wrong with that??? by the way, how did park city make the playoffs last year with a 3-8 record???

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 6, 2012 11:35 a.m.

@ fender
    What is wrong with sheep farmers? ya going to make fun of my home next? I work hard for my money. you and amanap must be good buddies. I could be wrong but i don't think many region 9 schools are fans of a team that is mouthy and does cheap shots. sorry amanap and fender. Are yall going to make fun of my home now? Yall need to be more classy. Good luck Cedar, canyon view, dhhs, dhs, hhs, and schs.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 6, 2012 11:24 a.m.

josey,
    Maybe the PC boys need to lift some weights or haul some hay instead of brushing their flowing golden locks of hair. I could loan yall my sheep shearers and you could make yer football uniforms out of it. They would glisten in the friday night lights. I just wish cedar was doin better. Good luck to all the teams.

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Oct. 5, 2012 5:03 p.m.

@JoseyWales

what are you even talking about lol? the only reason why we only mention JD/Span fork/ or even Stansbury and not any other schools, is because those are the 3 schools that have a chance.(sorry if it's boastful) and all we do is make predictions. we had a dominant region last year, and it (believe it or not) is a lot stronger this year, so of course we are gonna talk highly about it. yet nobody here has said anything along the lines of "hurricane or whoever is going to win" we don't insult any of the other schools just because we support our own teams. we never say that other teams suck ever. why don't you cheer your team on rather than attack us for cheering for ours.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 5, 2012 4:56 p.m.

@Jo Momma

Hatin' on PV and amanap again...by a Cedar sheep farmer? Go figure. If those two teams do meet again in the semis I like PV -7. You're on, my friend.

@joseywales

A guy with that moniker can't be all bad, but you better be prepared to come back on here with a big helping, 'cuz it's gonna happen.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2012 2:04 p.m.

My gosh, you southerners think there is only 1 team up north? It's like you've forgot about everyone except JD. Hurricane has had a couple of good years, but it's not like Region 9 is the SEC or something. True, it's been the tougher of the regions lately, but so what. Everything is cyclical, and it won't last. You guys won't have more than 2 teams in the semis, and may not even have a team in the state championship. It's why they actually play the games fellas, because anything can happen! Otherwise, maybe you guys just want to hand Hurricane the trophy now? Maybe the BCS should eliminate the bowl games and give Alabama the NC? It's one thing to support your team, but a couple of you guys have actually been insulting to the rest of 3A with your non-stop talk about Region 9 domination. IF you get more than 2 teams in the semis, I will come back on here and eat the biggest helping of crow you've ever seen. What are you offering up? Man, maybe you guys should form your own league?

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 5, 2012 12:00 p.m.

@ amanap
    when i am out grazing i don't have enough time to preview and memorize the playoff brackets. If pv plays hhs in the semis then pv still loses. I predicted the semis but not the final. Being from washington that must hurt that pv will still lose. At least you can go to the costco food court and get a slice to make you feel better. You can also buy a sheep from me and cook her up. That always makes me feel better.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 5, 2012 11:31 a.m.

@Jo Momma

If PV makes the playoffs, I believe they would play HHS in the semis, if both teams get there. The winner could get Dixie in the finals.

@Whiteshoes

Yes, I agree with everything you say there. Totally legit question: how does a team put up all those yards and not win? No doubt much of the reason has to do with HHS. As a Region Nine fan, would love to see a rematch at RES with one of these teams playing DHS in finals.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 5, 2012 10:46 a.m.

Pine View will make the semi finals. They will be beaten in the semis by stansbury or juan diego. I will bet my single wide on it. I will even throw in a ewe or two.

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Oct. 5, 2012 9:29 a.m.

after looking again my picks are htown, dixie, snowcanyon, des hills. pineview won't make the playoffs

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Oct. 5, 2012 9:14 a.m.

@amanap no i don't mean desert hills. the way i see it either team could beat the other tonight, my pick is still snow canyon. mostly because i can see them losing to dixie, but beating pineview. if desert hills loses to snow canyonon, plus a loss next week to hurricane (that's just me being a tiger fan) then dhills would end the region 3 and 3 whilst snow canyon ends 4 and 2

it's my opinion. and if i were to change it my second opinion would be Hurr, Dixie, Snow canyon, and Des Hills

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 4, 2012 10:04 p.m.

@ amanap
    You are from Washington so you are obviously a huge pine view fan. Why do you have to hate on the warriors? What did the ever do to you? It is like the guy making fun of my sheep. What did they ever do to him? Lets be good sports on here. Leave my sheep and the warriors alone.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Oct. 4, 2012 8:51 p.m.

H-Town Tiger, you meant D hills right? Snow Canyon won't make the playoffs.

• OneManWolfPack St George, UT
    Oct. 4, 2012 10:50 a.m.

What?! No full page write ups on Prentiss Miller last week?! Has DNews fallen asleep?

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Oct. 4, 2012 5:48 a.m.

@Fender

it is sad to actually have people talk smack about other schools especially in weeks prior to the actual game. PV played a great game and if it weren't for the 3 interceptions, we could of had a different outcome. they showed us just how talented all the region 9 teams are. it would be great to see 4 teams make it to the playoffs, but that would mean that either JD and SF would have to lose their games (lucky for us we aren't paired with region 10 this year to start) i would love to see it be hurricane, dixie, snow canyon , and pine view. But if it isn't these 4 then i would go to say that the only change would be either JD or SF taking any of these spots. 3 teams from reg 9 in the semis this year is a very achievable goal, and with some hard work it can hopefully be all 4 teams.

enough rambling though...i'll let the season and the playoffs do the talking. great job hurricane for getting your 20th win and good luck to the rest of region 9

• d0wns0uth Hurricane, UTAH
    Oct. 3, 2012 6:26 p.m.

Sounds like someone is eating crow since nobody has said anything about PV. ha ha better luck next year and yes it is always the coaching right?

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2012 5:08 p.m.

Every week I read this page about rankings and every week there seems to be the same guys on here whining about why their team or so and so is/isn't ranked and why. As I've said, among various others, rankings mean NOTHING in HS football. It's like some of you guys want to get your kids a patch for their lettermen jacket that says "ranked #2 3A week 2-6" LOL! I'm guessing that to the ones who really care and matter (the players and coaches) that they will gladly trade any ranking now for the one that matters,...Hoisting the trophy at RES. Oh, and then they can have the patch that says "State Champs" Too funny...

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 3:28 p.m.

H-Town Tiger

Nor do I have anything against HHS. I've personally told Coach Homer how much I respect and admire what he's done with the program. Just havin' some fun with the HHS fans who've been trash talkin' the "Costco" school for the past seven weeks. Personally, I think both these schools and Dixie will show up at RES in November. Not intentionally slighting DHHS; it could show up as well. HHS has to be the favorite and Dixie's very good, but with the Wilstead kid PV will be a super tough matchup. Of course that assumes the coach gets his head in the game.

• Whiteshoes Orem, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 3:11 p.m.

@fender I saw PV when they beat Orem...with a backup QB. They have a HUGE line & a quick RB. They lost their QB Wilstead (6'6", 200 lbs) in the East game and he missed the next four games with a backup. They have a quick RB who has run for 1400+ yds on 200 carries this season. PV is a much better team with their starting QB in the game. You may wonder about a defense who allowed a back to rush over 300 yds. I wonder how PV only managed 20 points & how the RB didn't reach the endzone. Bend, don't break.

• tejas washington, utah
    Oct. 3, 2012 2:39 p.m.

@ Jo Momma dont blame the team from costco for the loss, the coaches always lose the big games clear back to the Bear River days.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 2:36 p.m.

@Jo Momma

I thought you were busy full time with the sheep and goats up in Cedar? Nobody belly achin' and nobody makin' any excuses and for sure nobody mad...just sayin'.

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Oct. 3, 2012 2:27 p.m.

@Fender

if a team puts 500+ yards against hurricane...and still loses to them....really tells us how "overrated" hurricane isn't. so what if the hurricane game went into overtime...they still won...just because a team has a close game doesn't take away the fact that they are a solid and succesful program. even the top ranked schools have close games sometimes. I don't have anything against pine view, but i do have an issue with fans (are you a pv fan?) that call teams over rated because there was that "one" game wear they almost lost

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 1:14 p.m.

@ fender
    I hear PV line is as big as BYU but they can't have a winning record. I read all these posts and don't see all over HHS fans saying how bad PV is. Yall need to stop belly achin by costco. A team that big that cant win games. Something is wrong. Don't be mad that all those undersized kids from Hurricane won. They played hard.

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 11:09 a.m.

This poll is wacked! Bingham's narrow losses to Alta and Lone Peak have it out of the top 10? Timpview is clearly the best Region 8 team but what does that say? The other Region 8 schools are mediocre--they have no signature wins over anyone. Box Elder should have dropped for losing. The Bees are good, but nobody should move up for losing a game to a team who is comparable, as was Mt. Crest.

As for dropping a team who wins?! Maybe in a case where the team struggled with a vastly inferior team only. Hurricane beat a tough PineView, whose PPG rating (81) is much higher than the rest of Region 8. Dropping one spot for a close win, maybe. Dropping three is ridiculous. The Tigers should have held their own.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 9:36 a.m.

@Whiteshoes

Any HHS fan will tell you how bad PV is. You see it all over these blogs. If a team as bad as PV can run up over 500 yds in offense and take HHS into OT, well, you do the math...obviously HHS is overrated.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 4:19 a.m.

The biggest reason that I think Alta should be ranked higher than Lone Peak and Timpview is because of their strength of schedule. Up to this point in the season, I would say that it has been unquestionably the hardest schedule in the state! In their first seven games their opponents included Timpview (6/7), Bingham (5/7), Brighton (5/7), Jordan (6/6) and Don Bosco (3/4), with Riverton (4/7) and Olympus (2/7) filling in the gaps. That's a group of teams that combine for 31/44! And since Alta only lost to Jordan and Don Bosco, 5 of those 13 losses came at Alta's hands! That's a pretty good record against some stiff competition! Can any other team claim that tough of a schedule, at that high level of competition, with as much success?

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:34 p.m.

@ Everyone :)

I AM a T-Bird, Timpview being my Alma Mater. T-Birds all the way! LOVE that school! But I agree with Foosballfan8 (for once), I think that Alta is getting a bad rap for a loss to a team that would have probably destroyed #1 Jordan, too. Yes, my brother does play for Alta now, so I'm bias. But like Benzo said, 3 weeks left. Time will tell.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:08 p.m.

@ football fan

I am not a TBird, so if they lose they really should drop. I see them winning the rest pretty easily and going deep into the playoffs. Still say East is best until someone beats em. Go get em Braves! (Prediction 34-14 East)

• footballfan8 Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 8:48 p.m.

@slcftball
    I don't think you should show that much confidence in Timpview right now. The last two guys that did something similar (just sayin' and Benzo) Teams lost. I think that may be a jinx.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 7:52 p.m.

How about if Timpview lined up against Alta now? Who is hot and looks great? No brainier. I would take Timpview all day long if it were played tomorrow.

As for WX and others that lost.... Well don't lose. You lose you drop. You win you stay or move up. Not rocket science people.

• footballfan8 Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 7:51 p.m.

@bigbenzo
    I think what he meant by tv and lp where to high was now not two weeks ago. The list you where complaining is different then this week

• footballfan8 Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 2:45 p.m.

@proud big brother
    I was actually surprised that timpview was number 4 granted I was really happy but surprised. So I tried to see there reasoning for jumping both north ridge and Alta here is what I came up with for Alta. one of the reasons was that the timpview win at lone peak became more impressive after lone peak beat Bingham at home. Another reason is that Alta got smashed by Bosco is that unfair yeah it is but still that is probably the way they are thinking. Finally another reason they could be thinking is Alta only won by a missed field goal and the game could have gone in a different way. can't think of the reason for northridge except for they loss and the first reason about tv win becoming more impressive. These aren't my views but my rationalization of why they got jumped.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 1:32 p.m.

@just sayin' - Finally someone who can relate to what I was saying about the Week 3 Rankings. Herriman fell from #7 to #19 after losing to Riverton who was #19 before the game. I was baffled that Herriman could fall 12 spots since the game was played at neutral site, it went into overtime, we only lost by 1 point and Riverton was a ranked team. Needless to say...everyone that posted on DesNews said we deserved to drop...but I didn't agree with it.

Hopefully WX will use the loss and the drop in rankings as motivation to win the next game. That's what Herriman did and they came back the next week and smashed Highland by 3 Touchdowns!!!

Hopefully in the future....DesNews will show their ranking calculator...just like the BCS does so that we can see how it all calculates.

@ProudBigBrother - I said the same thing about Timpview and Lone Peak 2 weeks ago and again...everyone on here said that both schools deserved their rankings. In the end I guess it depends on the playoffs. We are about 3 weeks away and the playoffs will ultimately decide the final rankings.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Timpview and Lone Peak are both good teams, but 4th and 5th seem a little high for their rankings. Northridge and Alta could both beat either of them (Alta DID beat Timpview).

• just sayin' Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:25 a.m.

I agree with hiteshoes, what's with dropping WX 10 spots? Come on!!! The CATS ARE REAL, we'll just win out!!

• Whiteshoes Orem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 10:20 a.m.

Some of the movement this week makes no sense at all. Generally, the only way to advance is to win and hope for some teams ahead to lose. Which is more remarkable?

#17 Box Elder LOST a close game to #14 Mt. Crest...and move up 3 spots???
    Or
    #9 Hurricane WON, beating Pine View in OT and dropped 3 spots.

Not consistent. #6 Northridge lost a close game to #4 Syracuse...fell one spot, which seems very sensible. If anyone should have moved up for losing, it should have been Northridge and not Box Elder.

#11 Woods Cross dropped a 14-0 game to #23 Highland...the Wildcats fell 10 spots!

#19 Pleasant Grove lost on a last minute pass to #20 Riverton...and fell 3 spots.

Lone Peak rallied to beat Bingham on a last minute drive...and jumped 8 spots?!?

• playwhereyoulive SLC, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 10:21 p.m.

I realize Jordan only lost by 1 point to the team from California, but East deserves the #1 ranking this week for being 1 point ahead of Jordan when the game was called. Many are arguing that an extra point was the difference in the Cali. game, but have already forgotten the same thing happened in the East game. I put Jordan #2 and East #1 for those reasons.