Brad Rock: Brad Rock: BYU Cougars take step in right direction, gain needed confidence

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 7:39 p.m.

@ duckhunter

You are quite correct, many Utah fans did make those Rose Bowl predictions. I was not one of those delusional fans. So, when it comes down to it, BYU and Utah are more or less in a similar boat, losing the games that really count, winning the ones that don't mean so much. So really, the only way to judge the distance between these two teams is the rivalry game, and I don't think I have to remind you how that game has gone in recent years. Forgive me for venting my frustration that stems from the ludicrous predictions of a large portion of BYU fans (still less than %50). I was born and raised in Provo, i've been attending every BYU football and basketball game since I was 5. If I had been raised in SLC and the cougars had hired Kyle or Reynolds like they should have instead of Crowton then I would likely be a BYU fan much like yourself.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 11:59 p.m.

Who am I sir?

"the Y took a "step in the right direction" when they scheduled Hawaii for almost every year through 2020. They followed that up with Middle Tennessee State for a home and home."

It's laughable how out of touch with reality Utah fans are:

Utah is only 15-12 lifetime versus Hawaii and the Utes haven't beaten the Warriors in Hawaii since 1985.

Middle Tennessee State is 3-1, and just STOMPED Ga Tech 49-28 at Ga Tech (you know, the team Utah barely beat in OT in their bowl).

Instead of worrying about whether BYU took a step in the right direction in beating Hawaii, you should be more worried about Utah even qualifying for a bowl.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 4:33 p.m.

One must know a lot about certain things and I know you Utes are worried about your season.

I want you guys to win some games. Please get yourselves bowl qualified to play in the New Mexico Bowl or Kraft Fight Hunger bowl.

It would mean a lot to several of us. LOL

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 4:15 p.m.

So do you want me to make the same comments about utah?

The only problem with that is the unlike last year utah won't bounce back from an 0-4 conference start to be even vaguely competitive. They probably won't even get to a bowl game.

But let's pretend shall we?

Last year at this time utah "fans" were all screaming for whynn's head, the difference being that because of utah's terrible recruiting they had no one else to bring in to get fans excited. But circumstances dictated a chenge anyway and utah ran off a string of 4 wins against some extremely bad pac12 teams. They then went on to beat an average gt team in a bowl game and utah "fans" immediately started telling us how this year was going to be "special", rose bowl bound, undefeated, pac12 championship game, blah, blah, blah.

The nest year the whole cycle starts all over again. Please spare me.

• byu_num_1 Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 3:13 p.m.

I thought Riley was going to win the Heisman

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 12:29 p.m.

It may very well be true that late season BYU was better than late season Utah. My point is this: Whether or not late season BYU was better than late season Utah is irrelevant. I was merely pointing out the similarities between what happened last year and this year. I was also pointing out that fans are much too quick to judge (myself included on occasion I am sure).

I also believe that the same thing will happen again next year. BYU will get off to a bad start that includes a loss to Utah, there will be a quarterback change (by virtue of injury or choice I do not know). Then BYU will beat some patsy, and everyone will jump on the new guy's bandwagon. Followed by more beating up on more patsies and BYU fans declaration that this BYU team is different than the one they had at the beginning of the season.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 11:57 a.m.

The Utes are so lucky to have a closet fan like sammyg, he worries about everything they do or don't. LOL, what a guy!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:19 a.m.

You conveniently omitted... the rest of the story...

Utah has a meltdown, goes 4-5 or worse in their conference, and loses to Colorado.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Sept. 29, 2012 11:34 p.m.

True, a step in the right direction that was needed after the last couple of weeks. Not exactly a game to hang your hat on and to say that the Cougars are back. The next few weeks will let us know if this team is for real or not. I did not see enough to draw any conclusions about just yet. When we see a win against a quality team we will have a better idea as to where the Cougars are at. I still have not seen any real decisions made from the AD as to where things need to go. If we keep the status quo, I doubt things will change.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 10:07 p.m.

the Y took a "step in the right direction" when they scheduled Hawaii for almost every year through 2020. They followed that up with Middle Tennessee State for a home and home. More to follow.

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 8:33 p.m.

Calling for Bronco to pull Heaps had nothing to do with Riley. Heaps was a head case and had lost control of the team. Riley was the only other option (since Lark is clearly subpar in Bronco's mind).

Hill may not turn out to be great, but he is much more composed than Heaps was. Hill is not just a better passer than Nelson (as was Heaps), but Hill is actually better at being Riley than Riley is. If Heaps needed to be pulled for underachieving for a less-talented QB, than surely an underperforming Nelson should be pulled for a MORE-talented QB.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 7:26 p.m.

I think that it is pretty obvious that Taysom Hill is a talented player. Hence the reason he was at Stanford. I am not sure he is the total fix all though. At least not yet. I still like a 100% Riley Nelson better. Let me remind you that people bash on Riley for never beating a good opponent. Hate to say it, but T.H. just beat a pretty weak opponent. He obviously cannot run like that in every game: the other teams will be a bit wiser (and just overall better). I still like #4 a lot, and he is certainly the future, but I still hope for Riley to come in and play well and win. Maybe then some of the Riley haters will sit back down in their Lazy Boyz and stop trying to run a 110 man team. Maybe then they will see that the guy that coaches the team (viz Bronco) and is with Riley EVERY day sees something we don't; furthermore, I think his teammates see something we don't. "I believe in Riley Nelson"- Brandon Ogletree. Why don't you?

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 6:35 p.m.

uh oh. I've heard this story before... Last year the same thing happened, out goes one quarterback, in comes the new spunky guy. He beats up on a bad team, and all of the sudden the old quarterback stinks, and the new one is the next BYU Heisman trophy winner. Later on in the season comes the talk about how the late season BYU squad would beat the squash out of the Utes. The following year, the whole cycle starts all over again. Please spare me

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 4:04 p.m.

Last year at this time all the byu fans were screaming for Heaps to be benched in favor of the hero aka Riley Nelson. Now, it's Nelson that needs to be replaced by Hill (the new Steve Young I hear) so they can run the table. Utah State will still show up to play Young/Hill and if they play their game they will play beat an average (but not good) byu team.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 3:51 p.m.

Before we declare the Y fixed. Consider that Hawaii hasn't won a game, Weber State hasn't won a game, Utah is 2-2 and looked awful against AZ State last week and Boise State is 2-1 (likely to be 3-1) but certainly not up to the excellence of past years. I need to BYU beat a quality opponent, not lose a couple of close ones to teams that could easily have losing records. Bottom line, the jury is still deliberating for sure.

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 29, 2012 1:50 p.m.

The scrambling Hill reminds me a lot of Steve Young and his versatility. I like Riley, but I think he's done. Hill should be the quarterback. There seems to be a better fit with Hill as QB then Riley.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 29, 2012 12:31 p.m.

@ Ernest T. Bass,

Do you get a high out of making insincere remarks about BYU all the time? It seems your aim is always to mock and demean any success BYU has. Are you capable of being nice for a change? You might want to try it, dude! Stop the hate and spare yourself an ulcer.

Great game, Cougs! Good luck on yours Utes!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 29, 2012 10:41 a.m.

Great article, and right on the money.

Kicking game will not get fixed this year. Punting is great. Hopefully we won't get hurt by missed FGs and PATs, because there will be more. Hopefully, Sorensen is 100% next year.

Running games was great against a weak D, but passing game still needs lots of improvement. The only great passing play was Hill to Apo. Doman and Cahoon need to figure out how to get WR open. We can't just expect Hoffman and Apo to out leap the DBs for 50/50 balls.

Not sure if Alisa will be back this year, but Williams has the skills to carry us. Lasike also looked good. I'd like to see more of Lasike in short yardage situations.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 9:59 a.m.

This just proofs where back. We destroyed one of the best teams in the west in Hawaii.
    Still could win the BCS bowls.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Be careful, Brad, or you might admit BYU had a total game. They are likely the only 3-2 team in the country that are two plays away from being 5-0. And that's with all the issues with Riley Nelson included. (They did have two missed PAT's and went 3-and-out twice in a row in the third quarter if you saw the game.)

I know you don't want to get too excited about the BYU team. I for one wish credit was given where due.

No one expected Hawaii to win, but after they scored 10 point against USC in southern California, and in a losing effort against Nevada scored 24 points, surely they were expected to get on the score board. And they didn't. Even after the bad roughing-the-passer penalty against the Y defense that put Hawaii in pretty decent position (Rock On forgot that one), they failed to score. So give the Y defense credit; it's ok to do that. And 47 points is pretty decent, too.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Sept. 29, 2012 9:20 a.m.

Thank you for this, another excellent article.
    Your summary was expecially on target.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 8:50 a.m.

What a fine young man T. Hill almost like Steve Young when I was attending at BYU. Sure Steve ran around a lot with his speed but Taysom knew how to find holes in everywhere he wanted to find. And he is not hurting compair to R. Nelson. Hey Bronco, go ahead keep saying it that you like Riley and Taysom will start every game.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 8:05 a.m.

All true. But, a few things to take away from this laugher:
    1. Taysom Hill is pretty quick and fast. A safety was just a yard or so away from him three yards past the line of scrimmage and Hill put distance between them. Even a mediocre safety runs down a QB in 10 yards. So, that's impressive.
    2. A laugher can give any team a chance to run through its plays with better competition than the scout team. Offensive is so much about execution and this gave the team a chance to execute.
    3. Few penalties. I think there was only one penalty on the defense and that was a dubious "helmet" penalty when the runner lowered his head when about to get hit when about to step out of bounds.
    4. No false start penalties. Granted, the crowd was quiet, but... execution matters.
    5. Braden played center more effectively (blocking wise...not those constant low snaps he was whiffing but he can fix that) than either Blair or Houston were doing.

So some things to take away in warming up to Utah State. If the Cougars have indeed learned, they'll get past a good (not great) USU squad. Let's hope so.