Sports

View from the Booth: Plenty of questions surround this Ute squad

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:55 a.m.

@gdog

This article is actually a very good example of what I'm talking about. Bill Riley writes on here about Utah and he is an unabashed homer. His articles are almost alwys designed to paint Utah in the best possible light regardless of the reality of how they are performing. I don't really have a problem with that, he is the "voice of the Utes" afterall, but the articles themselves are as far from unbiased reporting as it gets.

Now on the otherside you have Dick Harmon, he cannot write an article without that list of utah "fans" shredding it, regardless of the subject he writes about. It is automatic from them. So I like to return the favor. I don't really care that Riley is a homer trying to suck up to Whittingham and the Utah fanbase and it doesn't bother me that he does it, but it is my intention to give these utah "fans" a taste in return, and I succeed when I do it. Invariably they are the ones most offended and outraged by it. That is what makes it fun, their hypocrisy.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:47 a.m.

@gdog

It isn't that any of them are "opinionated", and you are correct that not all of them are the same. But the main thing most of them have in common is a true hate for BYU. That is not something I believe existed in the BYU fanbase although I think that is changing and it is because of those types of utah "fans". I've posted before that up until about 2 years ago I'd never even read an article about the University of Utah. It was posts on BYU articles made by many of those I listed that got me to come to articles about Utah and return the favor. I'll admit much of this has been fun, it really has, but it isn't about the U for me, it is about them.

I suppose the negative side of it is that there are guys like yourself, real fans of your school not haters of BYU, that are around and like the BYU fans that read christina's post on BYU articles you guys read negative posts about Utah on these and it bothers you. Im not aiming for you. Call it collateral damage.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 29, 2012 6:13 p.m.

@Duckhunter

@Duckhunter

I sort of get it. I mean I try to be a balancing contributor myself. I certainly don't consider myself the one and only balance.

You know, I read these articles in the Desnews daily, and post a lot as you know. Are all of these poster names (or some) you list above, anymore opinionated than yourself (maybe I fit that bill as well)?

I don't find all of the names applicable (though I would have to read more closely these cats), but some I agree with you. Still aren't you sort of the same on the opposite side of the fence or aisle? You enjoy that, and that is your stick. Just consider that it cuts both ways.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 7:24 a.m.

@gdog

I've told you before, it isn't really about the university of utah, it is about the utah "fans" like pebbles, and naval, and christina, and spokane, and jenny, and howie, and uteology, and johninslc, and many, many others. I'm the balance.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 28, 2012 6:35 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Why do you "enjoy the utah "fan" meltdowns"? I recall another quote of yours a few days back. You said "I am going to enjoy every minute of it" (watching Utah lose that is). Seriously?

How many times have you said Utah fans are obsessed with BYU? I think we have a major contradiction here. The pot has called the kettle black.

I look at your comments and think who is obsessed here.

Sorry Duckhunter, but I have to do something you have patented and I have avoided until now. Here it is; LOL, LOL, and LOL.

You are a BYU fan. Shouldn't you just root for the Cougars rather than hope Utah loses? That's what I suggest you do.

Yes Utah has issues. Newsflash though, BYU is going to lose their share of games as well. The red and blue are currently mediocre.

Why mock Utah when they have beaten BYU 8 of the last 11 and 13 of the last 20? You pretend it's no big deal when Utah beats the BYU, but then you jump for joy when Utah losses.

Duckhunter, I like you. Please don't go duckhunting with Dick Cheney.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 2:17 p.m.

@spokane ute

How does posting on a newspaper article equate to an inferiority complex?

Inferiority complex's are measured by the desire of one person or entity to constantly compare themselves to another person or entity. BYU does not compare itself to utah nor do BYU fans compare themselves to utah "fans". To the contrary it is utah "fans" that measure themselves by comparison to BYU. That is why being in the pac12 is such a huge deal to the utah "fan" psyche. That is what you all cling to when trying to convince yourselves that you are better than BYU. You somehow think that being associated with, and frankly carried by, much better and greater schools than your own makes you better than BYU. You believe that being asked to join the pac12 is something utah 'accomplished'. It isn't an "accomplishment" to join a conference, that is the part I have always found to be hilarious about it. But I understand utah "fans" need to cling to something like that, you need to tell yourselves that it is an accomplishment, that you're 'better'. We all know real athletic accomplishments are not soemthing utah is noted for.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 28, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Full disclosure: I am an Oregon Duck fan.

That said, I follow both the Utes and the Cougs because I find the whining , crying and pettiness to be good entertainment. (OK, I admit to going to BYU my freshman year).

That said, I stand by my pre-season prognostication: 6-6 seasons for both schools.

Utes wanted the PAC, now they need to get used to being the red-helmeted step child....You think the ASU loss was bad? Wait until USC comes in next week. Like a train wreck, I will not be able to look away. But I do have a 21-point rule when watching games on the DVR, so after the Trojans get up by 21 I can fast forward to the end, unless the Utes get closer than 21 later, in which case I slow down and watch again.....didn't have to slow down in the ASU game, and I don't expect I will in the USC game...

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 9:27 p.m.

A lot of 'doom and gloom' and angst being vented by Ute fans.

Naval Vet is gone, Motorbike MIA, Jenny83 and more I'm sure.

A salute to the 'veterans' and a moment of silence is now appropriate... tic toc, tic toc...

Imagine what October is going to be like on these boards? I'm a little concerned.

Will there be enough 'crash carts' to resuscitate them all?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 27, 2012 2:16 p.m.

@ DuckHunter

Inferiority complex? Kind of like a BYU fan posting on every Utah article? There certainly is one BYU fan who has this complex; simply look in the mirror.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 1:27 p.m.

@spokane ute

You are correct, the BYU game is always the biggest and most important game on utah's schedule. It always will be. That is how it is when you have an inferiority complex like utah "fans" have.

@co ute

I intend to "enjoy" it all the way through.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 27, 2012 12:42 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Last year Utah was 8-5 and beat Ga Tech in a bowl game - that is not a mediocre season. 4-5 in conference was mediocre but the season as a whole was good, not great but still good. This season may end up at 4-8 or 8-4 depending on how well the team responds the next few weeks. Let's wait until the games are played before you 'enjoy' the U's demise.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:40 a.m.

pebbles

"if Utah is so bad..."

IF?

It'll be interesting to see how long the kids on the hill desperately cling to "IF".

With a starting QB who, by his own admission, was only playing at 65% (and it was obviously much less than that), losing two road games by a total of 4 points is hardly anything to be hitting the panic button about.

Both BYU and Utah have lots of questions to answer, but, at this point, I like BYU's chances of turning things around much more than the chances for the Utes. Blowout losses to USC, Oregon St and UCLA in the next month could be devastating to the Utah fan base psyche.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 9:02 a.m.

I hope the Utes can get their problems fixed soon. Our O line play needs to be improved if we are going to be able to do anything. I know the coaches have had to juggle a few players into the mix to try and solve the issues so hopefully they will start playing better as a group.

I would really like to see them try and get the ball to our receivers and tight ends more - we have a very talented group of both.

Coug fans might want to focus on their own issues rather than bag on the Utes. I know it has been two weeks so maybe you forgot, but we did beat you again this year so as bad as the Utes have been, they have still been better than the Y.

GO Utes!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:57 a.m.

@DuckHunter

As bad as a season as we are having, we still beat BYU. I guess it hurts to get beat over and over, and over again by the Utes: even when they are having a bad year. That doesn't say much for BYU, now does it? Score Board Buddy!

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 10:13 p.m.

Sincerely I hope the Utes come back. I'd love to see them challenge USC. But I'm having too much fun poking at Chris B. he has all the answers for the Utes and Cougars. Where are you Chris? Waiting for you to save the day.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 8:18 p.m.

Sorry to disappoint you quacky, but we're not having a "meltdown". Where I am quite disappointed in the Utes thus far. My life doesn't revolve around the Utes football or any other sport. Its very obvious that you care about the Utes more than I do. Both teams are struggling, the Utes beat your cougs, and you come on here like BYU is 4-0. A VERY typical Y fan you are...or should I say, Utah hater. Time to find something better to do with your life ducky. But I think for you, that's impossible. Keep up the obsession of the Utes.

Remember Ducky, just to Rise Up, Fully Invest yourself, and never, ever let down your Band of Brothers. For the Quest is still attainable, because you Are BYU! And last but not least, always, and I mean alaways...LOL!

LOL!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 7:36 p.m.

Isn't it interesting that every Ute fan posting on these boards has penciled in Utah to beat Colorado? Amazing! They couldn't do it last year in SLC so what makes them think they can do it this year in Boulder? Utah and Colorado share a lot of baggage by coming into the league together and they are going to be natural rivals, more so than any other teams in the Southern Division that plays Utah.

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    Sept. 26, 2012 7:13 p.m.

I am a BYU fan. Honestly I think that perhaps both BYU and Utah could be struggling this year. I think that both Utah and BYU are quality schools and young people can get great educations at either school. I wish both schools well in their sports programs for success does help both universities. I wish both schools the best.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 26, 2012 6:05 p.m.

To Ducky and other Utah obsessed Y trolls, if Utah is so bad what does that say about your team that got beat down six ways from Sunday last year by Utah and except for a lucky comeback (down 24 to 7) would have suffered another bad loss to Utah this year ( still lost). Too funny, though I honestly don't think some of you get it which is the mind boggling and sad.

• AZCoug Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 26, 2012 5:38 p.m.

Dand_Ute
    WEST JORDAN, UT

This is good advice, but doesn't have any connection to getting blown out in the first quarter already! Both BYU and Utah are hurting because of injuries to key players and a big drop off when going to number 2 or 3 on the depth chart. The PAC10 has been so dominant over the years because of talent and depth at those key positions. How many players have left USC or other high profile programs because they were not playing enough and come to Utah or BYU and start every game? AS much as neither side of the rivalry wants to admit it, BYU and Utah have been almost mirror images of each others' success for many years. Now included, trying to replace or play wounded warriors without great depth and talent at those critical spots. Good luck to us both, we will need it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 4:55 p.m.

@wallbanger

The realization that utah is not very good seems to have hit you harder than a punch in the gut. I'm enjoying the utah "fan" meltdowns.

• 4BS St George, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 4:15 p.m.

I have to admit, seeing the Utes struggle makes me smile. I don't see them having enough wins to go bowling. They will be lucky to pull off wins against Washington State and Colorado. That still leaves them a couple of wins short. That's a shame!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 3:50 p.m.

While still timid and lacking any real punch this is still the closest thing riley has ever written that wasn't embarrassingly gushing, slobbering, and effusive praise of whittingham and everything utah.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 3:48 p.m.

PACute

Did you even read Go Utes post correctly, or are you just another Utah hater like quackboy and sammyGirl? He said, "perhaps we are not looking at an 8 or 9 win season"...HELLO, I read it right the first time, perhaps we are NOT looking at an eight or nine win season. NOT, is the key word there buddy!

To thebigsamoan
    Thank you for the classy post, I was rooting for BYU to beat WAY over-rated Boise. Because, the more BYU loses, the more it hurts Utah, good luck to both schools as well. Go Utes!!

• PACute_ Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2012 3:09 p.m.

Go Utes!

"I think the Utes will bounce back, perhaps we are not looking at an 8 or 9 win season..."

LOL!

The Utes don't have a prayer of winning 8 games, in fact, they'll be doing well just to finish 6-6 and qualify for a bowl.

It'll be interesting to see how Utah fans react to being 2-5 in late October.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Sept. 26, 2012 2:58 p.m.

"Based on what we saw in the Pac-12 opener in Tempe, Ariz., it's hard to say the Utes are better than they were a year ago,..."

They aren't; and it's about to get even worse.

Losses: USC, Oregon St, UCLA, Washington
    Toss-ups: Arizona, California
    Wins: Washington St, Colorado

At 2-2, the Utes will have to win both of their tossup games just to qualify for a bowl.

Of course, that's assuming the Utes don't get upset by WSU or Colorado.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Hate the black helmets, went from looking like San Diego State to West High. If you need a different helmet why not a nice White one like the good old days. White Helmet, Red top and white pants for home-Red helmet, white top, red pants for road games. I for one would just like to know when we changed from red and white to red,white and black. Cheerleaders look like they are from Highland High half the time. I think that was the start of just one pitiful game Saturday running out on the field with black helmets black pants- we started off not looking like Utes and we finished not looking like Utes. White helmet with a nice bright red logo, that would make us look like the University of Utah-not black.

• NORCALUTE MoTown, CA
    Sept. 26, 2012 10:10 a.m.

The Ute's season all boils down to the OL. If they can sustain and make holes, great things happen, if they can't execute, then the entire offense breaks down. The Ute’s have the big-play makers, they just need the upfront OL to function so the play makers can make the plays. Go Utes! -- By the way, I like the new black helmets, the only change I would do would be keep everything the same except make the U in the logo red.

• Dand_Ute WEST JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Love coach Whitt, but man the guy has got to look out better for the offensive side of the ball for the last three seasons, the D has been fantastic, but cannot be on the field for so long!! The O has got to be able to put some drives together to help out the D. Recruit OFFENSE!!

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Expectations need to be tempered. While a good coach, Kyle W. is no magician. Utah does not have the recruiting advantage that USC, Oregon, and UCLA have. Also, warm climate programs such as ASU will have an advantage in recruiting over colder climate programs such as Utah, Colorado and WSU. It will take years to build Utah's football program to consistently compete for the PAC-12 title. I have been saying this for the past 2 years - finally some Ute fans are waking up to the reality. It doesn't bother me - I am patient and look for the Utes to bounce back and win some exciting games this season - perhaps a few they won't be expected to. And, that patience should continue over the next few years as the pieces are put in place.

Let's don't be a "fickle" fan base - support the Utes win or lose!

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 7:22 a.m.

I love my Utes but they are in trouble.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 26, 2012 7:11 a.m.

It's way too early for the Utes to panic. They do have talents and great coaches. They just need to settle down and play with guts and passion like they did against the Cougars. I would hate if they keep on losing and become irrelevant in their new conference. That would make BYU look even worse seeing that they defeated the cougs two years in a row.

Go Utes! Show that you're better than just beating us by doing well in your conference. Show that you're for real.

To my Cougs...please salvage the season! The last two losses were very painful to watch. Good luck to both schools!

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 6:25 a.m.

I think the Utes will bounce back, perhaps we are not looking at an 8 or 9 win season but I believe that we can get another four or five wins and make a bowl.