Sports

BYU football: Nelson's injury may put Hill in starting QB role

Comments

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 10:32 p.m.

Riley is simply making excuses. It's not the first time he's blamed poor performance on injuries. I know his back isn't straight, but that's not why he throws interceptions.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 6:55 p.m.

@joseywales

Your claim about Ute fans is laughable. When Utah does well they most certainly do let the whole world know about it, especially BYU fans. And when things go bad they definitely are not above throwing coaches and players under the bus. Just this last weekend I have seen a large number of Ute fans going ballistic over the meltdown in Tempe, blasting Whittingham for hiring an inexperienced 25 year old to run their offense, etc, etc. I have even heard a few Ute fans calling for Whittingham's head, if you can believe that. But I know that not all Ute fans act this way and I don't paint with such broad brush strokes as you and yankees27 do. Why don't you both just be content to support your own team and quit disparaging fans of other teams?

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 5:44 p.m.

Yankeedoodle, dude you always make me laugh. Snickers in a biggest loser gym? Too funny. But, I slightly disagree with you. Y fans would never put him back on the pedestal as you call it, they would just deny ever saying anything bad him.

The biggest difference I see between the two fanbases is that at the Y, when things are going good, they are riding high and believe that there is nothing better and let everyone know it. When things get bad however, they throw the coaches, players, administrators, even cosmo under the bus. They want to win and win now! At the U, it's a little more even keeled. When things are good we celebrate it to the max, but only with ourselves,and fellow supporters, and when things go wrong, we go have a beer!

RepresentBlue, I don't think comparing yankeedoodle to Maxi was fair. Max said he hated EVERYTHING about the U. Yankee only said he didn't like Y football fans. And I would also have to say that "typical" isn't a fair way to describe you guys either.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 12:49 p.m.

@yankees27

You sound just like Max Hall, condemning an entire fan base based on a few comments on an internet message board. In reality, BYU fans are no different than fans of other sports teams. For example, I have read hundreds of posts by Ute fans bashing Jordan Wynn the last few years. He was even booed by fans at RES fairly routinely. Then he announces that he is retiring due to a fourth shoulder injury and all of the sudden those same fans flood the message boards and radio shows expressing their love and support of Wynn. And I am not passing any judgement on those fans either, as you are against BYU fans. There is a reason why the word "fan" is short for the word "fanatic", which implies a certain lack of rationality. But It does not mean they are "hate mongers", it just means they are typical sports fans. I doubt there are many BYU fans who actually hate Riley Nelson, though the same could not be said for fans of other college football teams in this state. BYU fans almost universally love and respect Riley Nelson, while recognizing that he is a pretty mediocre quarterback.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2012 12:29 a.m.

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but I'm rooting for Riley now. Not really to win as much as just to be successful. IF he wins and looks great, I can't wait to read these boards and listen to all of you hate mongers praise his play and put him back up on the pedestal. In all of sports I've never seen or heard from a more judgmental group than Y football fans. The school is awesome, the people great, but put you guys in a competitive environment and it's like throwing a snickers into the Biggest Loser gym. I hate nothing about BYU, and will praise all of it's accomplishments, but there is just something about Y football fans that just about kill all of the good that comes out of Provo. You know who you are, let the rebuttals begin.....

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:44 p.m.

'However, if the coaches decide that I give us the best chance to win, then I want to be out there."

That's our boy, TO Nelson *sacrificing for the team

*any chance to win

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:56 p.m.

these are by far the most pathetic decision making coaches I have ever seen. who's running this program? the players or the coaches? you have got to be kidding me....this is a joke, right? Am I really reading this? wow

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:15 p.m.

Carson

Don't think so little delusional buddy. Go check those stats from the last game we had. You squeaked by with another one but no problem, your team has greater problems than stats.

I have confidence that the Cougars will fare ok this season. Utes not so much and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

It's "fans" like you that keep coming back for more, pounding your little PAC 10.2 collective chests, that I so enjoy reminding and showing that your team is not that much. 7-37 is a pretty big loss administered by ASU. Utes have lost 9 times in a row to these guys and BYU has beaten them the last two times recently? Wow, go figure?

As its been mentioned many times before, these rivalry games are decided in the last minute, they go both ways. They are great but in the end they are but one game and one game doesn't decide a season.

On the other hand losing to USU and ASU and that blowout score? I'd be concerned and then comes USC, Oregon St, and UCLA.

Uh oh!

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:10 p.m.

This article gives BYU a convenient way to bench Riley while he saves face.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 5:26 p.m.

The Big Boy team up North owns the Y in every facet of the game Sammy...Lose the Hate and grow up, Because I don't believe it's going to change any time soon!

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 25, 2012 4:20 p.m.

My vote is Lark. He deserves a shot. I think people will be surprised. Let him play his game. He has been around and knows the system better than others. If and when Riley feels better then let him play until then give the guy who has been there year after year a shot. I really think he will do better than Hill. At least at this point.

My 2 bits

• cdchttrtn meridian, idaho
    Sept. 25, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Lets not put all the blame on Riley, Most the blame should be on the head coach anc the offensive coordinator. They should of realized that it is better to have someone at 100 percent than to have someone at 50 or 65 perecent, Any coach would understand this position. That's way you have more than one player at each position.
    I don't think the head coach is the problem, even though he has the final decesion. The problem with BYU football is that they can't run the football or throw the football and this is, because they lack a line coach and offensive coach. If they want to be a Division I program and a good Division I program they need a change here in the worst way..

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 3:48 p.m.

MLH

My new favorite Ute stalker. Shouldn't you be nursing those damaged egos and helping the fans uncurl themselves from the fetal position?

Here are today's Utes lotto numbers...

7-47-3-28-3-26-14-17-20-27-7-37

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 3:25 p.m.

I am beginning to question Doman's ability to be a leader and make tough decisions. With him as OC, will we ever be able to recruit a pocket passer? Lark has worked hard for many years, been loyal and look what its got him - no chance to prove himself at all. If all Doman wants is a QB like he was, then I suspect BYU football may be in for a rough ride over next few years.

• dutgut Saint George, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 3:03 p.m.

One of my frustrations with Heaps was that he seemed to be afraid to throw a deep pass. Then Nelson takes over and he too seems afraid to throw a deep pass. Then Hill takes over and doesn't throw deep passes. What are the odds of 3 QB's being afraid to throw deep when they have arguably the most gifted WR in BYU history with Cody Hoffman?
    Seems like maybe it isn't the QB's after all. Either Doman is afraid to call a deep pass or he is not coaching the QB's very well. Either way, I think the blame falls squarely on Doman at this point.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Come on MLH, cut sammyg some slack. At least he didn't have seven (7) spelling errors in his post like you did.

I would really like to see Apo and Hoffman catch passes from a quarterback, namely James Lark. It seems Mendenhall and Doman can't man up and accept the truth about their current debacle of having their program run by a wounded senior quarterback.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 2:16 p.m.

If Bronco is relying upon Reilly to determine if he's healthy, just remember Reilly already made that decision against Boise St. when he admitted that last "Thursday I'd say 65 percent. Today, I'd say 75-80." So Reilly decided to play against BSU at 65% health??? Don't trust him again. Make him prove it in practice but in the meantime, start someone else. I don't care who gets the nod. ABN -- Grit and toughness only mean something in movies and in wins.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 25, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Since when has it ever been up to the players as to whether or not they play? It is strictly the coaches decision. As someone posted earlier, the trainers were negligent in leting Nelson play and Doman just plain blew it. He's got to know that when asked any player will say, "yeah coach, I'm ready to go." Get Serious. Doesn't Doman get it?

What if Nelson would have re-injured his back or done more damage to it during the last two games? These players have to live with their injuries the rest of their lives. These coaches need to be more aware and have the guts to make the call, protect the team, and protect the players, even if that means from themselves.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Sept. 25, 2012 1:13 p.m.

Apparently one player is bigger than the whole BYU program. This infatuation with Riley needs to end, if he's hurt, he should have never been playing against Utah and BSU, good grief, who is in charge? I'm also dissapointed in Riley for not doing the right thing, if you're hurt, then you are not helping the team any by playing at 65%. There's a lot of seniors on that team that deserve better than this.

• jbp Yorba Linda, CA
    Sept. 25, 2012 12:44 p.m.

I think that the coaching staff and Riley are playing politics with the fans. It seems curious that they continue to sell the "significant back injury" without saying what it is. What is it? A bulged disc, muscle strain, pinched nerve? When a guy hurts his knee they don't just say he hurt his knee, they identify a sprain, acl tear or whatever it is. I think they are doing this to protect Riley from the reality of his performances. He will probably play Friday and state that he's feeling good. As many fans feel, he is just not a great player even at 100%. The coaches have bought in and stated such, and now they are just trying to prove themselves right, even though it may cost the team.

• BiggerUtefan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 12:31 p.m.

@RepresentBlue
    To be fair Crowton did have his issues managing the team, but he didn't exactly inherit a football program in good shape. After his first season the cupboards were a little bare, especially depth at Quarterback. Crowton recruited some good players that ended up as all-time great players at BYU and ended up playing in the NFL.

Bronco inherited a team that was ready to turn that corner and was on the road to recovery. I think the pressure of following the Legendary Head Coach was a lot more difficult than having to follow the guy who followed the Legend.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:27 a.m.

@Ronald Uharriet

You must be related to Crowton or something because you are just about the only person I have ever seen try to defend his record at BYU. Crowton is a very good OC, but he made a HORRIBLE head coach at BYU. Instead of taking the program forward after Lavell retired, he took it backwards in just 3 seasons to pre Lavell levels. Bronco literally had to rebuild the BYU Football program from scratch after taking over. But even worse than his on-the-field performance were the repeated honor code violations by players. These were not isolated incidents under Crowton, they were repeated and stemmed from an underlying lack of discipline and understanding about the mission and purpose of BYU Football. These HC violations were very embarassing for BYU and the LDS Church, and this, more than his abyssmal record, is the reason he was ultimately fired, err, I mean stepped down.

• TXBYUFAN Spring, TX
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Nelson was a reckless quarterback when healthy. He played out of control. You can't have your quarterback playing out of control on nearly every snap. An injury was just in the waiting with his type of play. Now that we know he's injured, it's time to let him rest and play, to borrow from my Houston Texans, "Next Man Up." Whether that is Lark or Hill, Nelson needs to be pulled.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Which is it? If I'm not mistaken, prior to the BSU game, Riley said he was 100%, I don't think so. The bottom line is Riley has not won a game against a quality team. There are a lot of athletes that are gritty and gutsy, but that is not enough. I've seen a lot of gutsy and gritty Bull Riders that could not stay on for 8 seconds and that is how their talent is measured. Maybe Riley has a future a UFC participant.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Sept. 25, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Reading all the post,
    One would think that “What goes around, comes around” is in full bloom.

If I was this current coaching staff, I would not ever mention the Name
    Gary Crowton again. It just might come back to bite them on so hard that
    they won’t be able to sit down, especially if the fans start comparing what Crowton
    was before being blamed for the honor code violation that took place off campus,
    well into the night, in one of the players home.

He was great until he had to spend all of his time defending himself instead of coaching.

Gary went on to be the National Assist coach of the year while at Oregon.

Defending National Champions, LSU, took him as their own Offensive Coordinator.

This was a very talented coach, that like our 5 star QB Ben Olson, and our 5 star QB Jake Heaps, we ran them all off because their genius was more than we were use to and we just could not hadle it. Oh, I almost forgot how we ran Norm Chow after 27years of success under Lavel Edwards.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 10:26 a.m.

I'm sorry, hiding the fact that you're only 65% doesn't make you a fierce competitor, it makes you selfish that you're putting your own interests ahead of the teams. This is especially magnified knowing he carried this over from the Utah game and he was responsible for 2 losses this season.

He talked about having the trust of the coaches and yet he betrayed that trust and the trust of the entire team by not being honest about his situation and that he couldn't play to the level the position requires. Bronco goes on and on about leadership when he talks about Riley and an essential part of leadership is putting the needs of the many ahead of the needs of the few, or the one in this case.

The coaches trusted Riley to give them an honest assessment of his health so they could prepare properly for 2 of the biggest games on the schedule. That was his chance to show true leadership.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Sept. 25, 2012 10:24 a.m.

I'm ok with them starting Nelson @ Boise State if he says he is good and the medical team says he is good. But it didn't take long for most everyone to see that he wasn't 100%. It's at that point that it becomes the coaches responsibility. If I'm a player I'm going to want to stay in no matter what. If I'm a coach, I'm responsible to have the best player out there and take out those that are injured or not performing.
    Utah and Boise St. are down this year and anyone who watched the game could see that BYU clearly could've and should've won both of those games. With a sharp backup in the game BYU could've moved the ball better than they did. I give credit to the Utah and BSU defenses and teams. They won the games and it will forever be that way in the history books. I don't even fault Bronco for going for 2. But it comes down to the coaches putting the best and strongest players and game plan together. That didn't happen in those two games.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Sept. 25, 2012 10:05 a.m.

Start Hill.

Use Lark as the back up to Hill.

If neither Hill nor Lark is getting the job done,
    don’t waste time and put Riley in.

If Hill and/or Lark can get the job done, let
    Riley sit it out and get ready for ND, Ga. Tec, and Org. St. games

Why use Riley until he is completely well with 3 big games
    coming at us soon.

Why is that so hard to figure that out?

Why even consider using Riley on give me games as long as his
    back is not 100%?

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 10:05 a.m.

Doman is throwing Lark and Munns under the bus because he can't coach a drop back passing quarterback. With BYU's receivers and tight ends this is the direction the offense needs to go. Give the senior Lark a chance to use Hoffman, Apo and Friel. Pretty soon there is going to be another game like last years Utah game where the defense decides that they are tired of being the only productive unit and quit playing.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:57 a.m.

"It's my senior year and my opportunities are very few. I hope to take advantage of every one."

I love Nelson but this statement makes him sound a little bit selfish to me. This BYU team is full of seniors who want to win but Nelson's performance is preventing that from happening. It certainly did on Thursday against Boise State. If he is not able to give 100% because of an injury then he is a liability to his TEAM, and he should do the unselfish thing and let Lark (also a senior) or Hill take his place until he is healthy and able to give 100%.

As far as the question of Lark vs Hill - Lark is the senior and probably knows the offense better, but Hill's style of play is more compatible with Nelson's (except that he is bigger, faster and has a better arm) which allows a more seamless transition between Nelson and Hill, and perhaps back to Nelson when he is healthy again. We also do not know why Hill was promoted above Lark. He may very well have just outperformed Lark in practices.

• 22ozn44ozglass Southern Utah, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:27 a.m.

Aggielove-Norm has a head coaching gig which is what he has wanted for a long time. Why would he give that up to go back to just being an OC?

While I have never seen Lark play, he is supposed to be a good drop back passer QB with a relatively strong arm. The question then becomes does the OL give him enough time to be a drop back passer? Hill is very mobile and a strong runner, and if Hill starts perhaps Lark could be the situational QB to stretch the field? With Apo and Hoffman, it could pay big dividends to get them deep on a regular basis.

I like Weber, but IMO BYU would be better served by going out and getting a top rung OL coach even if they have to pay him more than the tenured assistants currently on staff.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:16 a.m.

Since when does a player decide if he will play injured? Does BYU have any trainers and medical personnel who make those decisions? By the way, one national football service did have an award for Bronco. Going for two points with three minutes to go and no time outs was chosen as the worst college coach decison of the week.

• Sentinel Ogden, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:12 a.m.

If Riley's back is giving him so many problems, I do not understand why the coaching staff does not want him to fully get better. His back is going to take Riley farther in life than being the quarterback for BYU's season that has gone south.

As an athlete myself, I understand the "play til you drop" mentality- it is what athletes want to do, play until they cannot walk. But, one day, doesn't good sense have to be the protocol?

Let's face it- Riley's play, even when he is 100% healthy, is questionable. Sure, he has grit, desire, and is probably tougher than all of us put together. But, he is not helping the team win, good or bad back aside. Let him rest. Get healthy. Then, let him play his senior year where he can play.

In my estimation, it is better to let Taysom Hill get the reps and playing experience. Truly develop him for the long haul. Give BYU a good chance of winning and getting back to BYU prowess.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:12 a.m.

It's telling when this situation has gotten to the point that the comments of most Ute fans are less desparaging and more out of confusion as to what is going on here.

"4. Riley doesn't want to miss out on any of his senior year. How many talented young players will flee BYU for other programs out of frustration with coaches who are more loyal to their pet players than the overall good of the team? How many recruits will turn away for the same reason?

5. Are we watching the end of the Bronco Era at BYU?"

4. Good point. This could hurt BYU in the longrun though it's not like they're doing anything with NFL caliber talent now (i.e. Van Noy, Apo, Hoffman).

5. He's a decent but, not great coach and a good guy. His job however is to win big games and it's even more important than normal now that BYU is independent. Win some games, you get home and homes with Wisconsin. Keep this up you get home and homes with Middle Tennessee St.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Get norm chow back to run the O

• kcougfan Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:33 a.m.

(And because of his fierce competitiveness, Nelson said he would never admit that he isn't able to play. "I don't think I could ever bow out," he said. "I don't think I could ever throw in the towel.") You know Riley I love your toughness...however, you playing hurt could have cost us the Utah and Boise State games...! I truly feel Taysom could have came out with a win in both games. Come on Bronco make the right call for once...( frustrated fan )

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:15 a.m.

Look, Riley is playing pretty much up to his best. I assume that any time he plays there will be 3 interceptable passes and one fumble. That is his norm. Against good competition like some of the teams coming up he'll do worse than his par. No matter how poorly he does, Bronco will start the guy...did he promise Riley's folks something before Riley transfered? Not sure why, but it is a shame to waste good receivers and a good defense just because we like a guy's mouth. Riley talks a great story, but the performance has never been there.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:14 a.m.

sammyg

Come on sam leave the Utes out of it for once. Utah beat byu, Boise beat byu. Those enept coaches have now beat the y 3 in a row, 8 out of 11. I do not understand why you would even bring the U coaches into the discussion. Those so called enept coaches at the U do not play injured players.

I look foward each day for your entertainment, you are trully the #1 HOMER. Enept, team up north, big boy pants. I shake my head everyday too.

Come on Sam, fix this stuff

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:08 a.m.

How about a new coach?
    Andy Reid will be available really soon.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:04 a.m.

I'm hoping Bronco is just bluffing.

As for Lark - who has ever seen him play? Other than the quarter vs Weber State has he ever taken a snap? Why does he have so many fans?

However, I'd like to see what a passer could do with those receivers.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Excuse me, did I just read an article about Utah?

I'm disappointed that Riley played and was allowed to play when knowing full well that he was not 100% in the health column.

I'm beginning to think some of the Cougars and coaches are as inept as the supposed 'big boy' team up north. Problems like this are the difference between winning and losing games.

I'm shaking my head about these losses to the Utes and Boise. They might have been avoidable had some men put on their big boy pants and made a simple decision like...

Don't play an injured QB and have some faith in your backups.

I bet Lark really feels appreciated.

Come on Cougars, fix this stuff.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Sept. 25, 2012 7:25 a.m.

Great! Riley Nelson is tough as nails...but also extremely selfish. If he think that he gives the team a better chance to win at 65% than another QB who is 100% than he is delusional as well.

Unfortunatley is appears that the coaching staff shares his delusion...

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:59 a.m.

What happened to James Lark? i thought he was #2 on the two deep.

• MarkWACougar Richland, WA
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:31 a.m.

A freshman is more prepared than Lark? Best for the team?

I am no longer a Doman supporter. Poor decisions are a habit.

• Manny Saint George, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:26 a.m.

Why Hill? Lark has been there longer and probably knows the system better. And he's pretty good.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:22 a.m.

1. Sixty-five percent of a quarterback who is short on talent and long on grit is not enough for him to succeed against any but the most mediocre of teams. (So far, 100 percent of Riley hasn't been enough against good opponents.)

2. By his own admission, Riley will never take himself out of the lineup.

3. The BYU coaches' collective "bromance" with this particular player threatens to rob an entire team of its chance to win any significant game.

5. Are we watching the end of the Bronco Era at BYU?

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:16 a.m.

Just read the entire article. Yes, Nelson is a tough dude. He's proved his manliness time and again. If we could be given points based on how tough people are, we'd be undefeated. But that's no reason to play him as QB. This team isn't about proving who is toughest - it's about winning, and with Nelson at the helm hurt, he gives us a poor chance of doing that.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:12 a.m.

The longer they draw this out, the longer the problems with this offense will persist. I like Nelson, and if he was healthy I'd want him to start, but he's not healthy and shouldn't even suit up for the game. Hill should start. Give him the most reps this week with the first team.

• Will S. Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 25, 2012 2:48 a.m.

Three thoughts: 1. Riley Nelson is selfish and he ruined the team's chances for a win at Boise by refusing to let a healthy QB play from the start. 2. Coaches Doman and Mendenhall are blinded by their loyalty to one player rather than doing what's best for the team - even when we now know that Riley mislead the coaches by saying he was healthy enough to play. 3. BYU's team doctor and trainers are derelict in their responsibilities by allowing a player, who by his own admission was only 65 percent healthy, to play.

• Fred T PHOENIX, AZ
    Sept. 25, 2012 1:52 a.m.

This highlights how dumb the current Thursday night college games are.
    No way a team should have played late Sat and then the next Thurs.
    Not enough time to get healthy and to prep for the next game.

Instead, each team should not play the Sat before a Thurs game.
    And of course they shouldn't play the Sat fallowing a Thurs game.
    This would eliminate a BYE week since the BYE week would be embedded in the two weeks surrounding the Thurs night game.
    Then both teams would play up to their standards.

Same for the pros: The Green Bay and Chicago Thurs night game was horrible.
    Why? Because of no rest or healing time at all.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 1:20 a.m.

Bronco, Bronco, you don't win games by pretending everything is ok, and make a last minute QB change. You should have made that decision today, give Nelson a rest, this week off, let him heal. BYU can win on Friday with Hill, then if Nelson is 100% on Monday and you still want to go with him; I'm fine with that, but your decision to go with Nelson against BSU cost us the game--clearly. He should not have been in that game. Surely you are not that slow of a learner. You're going to make the same mistake two games in a row?

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 12:57 a.m.

Some body needs to man up and make the hard call ! I believe that job belongs to the head coach. No one is questioning Riley's toughness or his abilities as a QB, anybody who has watched him knows he is the guy.

The team will rally around the leadership of Riley, whether he is playing or leading from the injured reserve. The season can not take another loss.

The TEAM needs the COACH to step up.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 25, 2012 12:24 a.m.

Nelson's being generous by saying he was at 65% against the Broncos. I wouldn't put his performance at 50%.

Let's make a logical decision against Hawaii. Does Hill have the ability to beat Hawaii's weak defense? Probably. Would an extra week of rest benefit Nelson? Definately.

Giving Nelson the week off and getting him healthy improves our chances of winning against the Aggies and the Beavers. Besides the experience would be good for Hill.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 25, 2012 12:21 a.m.

Haha, I thought it was Riley's horrendous play that was ushering in the next Golden Boy