Sports

Doman's determined to do what needs to be done to fix BYU's offense

Comments

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 26, 2012 9:21 p.m.

The real question is this - is the BYU offense fixable this year? First off you have to have a QB - they don't. Secondly you have to have an offense that conforms to the talent you have - it doesn't. BYU has two great receivers who never get to touch the ball because no one can throw to them. Doman can tinker all he wants but the only fix is a new coach ... and new QB.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Sept. 26, 2012 12:25 a.m.

To: 3grandslams Iowa City, IA - you actually make a very good point here and also hint at something that I see coming from BYU. I believe that we may actually see the slow decline in the athletic programs at BYU until they are actually dropped. BYU is an excellent academic institution. If what 3grandslams from Iowa City, IA states is true about the ability of BYU to compete at this level, combined with an independence status that is going nowhere, the handwriting seems to be on the wall. I would hate to see that, but, it happened at BYU Idaho (Ricks) which was considered a top level JC at the time. I believe there needs to be an overhaul from the top down, starting with the AD and then the football program, if BYU is going to be able to come back to what the program has been in the past.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:12 p.m.

Use Lark he can stretch the field, hit the open reciever and score points. Use Hoffman and Apo as deep threats. Use the tight ends in the flats and underneath slants and as huge blocking bowling balls down field. Use the RB's on misdirection plays and quick out pass plays. Riley is hurt and needs to rest up.

James Lark either should start or leave. Yes go to his locker close it and not look back. the coach's have been leading him down the prim rose path now for two years telling James how much the team needs him if Riley gets injured. Blah, blah, blah !!!

This coaching staff should be ashamed of how they have miss managed the talent on this team.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:15 p.m.

54-10

Bitter Ute "fans" seeking solace... predictable.

Utes losing the next three games... also predictable.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:14 p.m.

Cougar "fans" now turning on each other.

Predictable.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:00 p.m.

The arm chair qb's have had their say. Ute fans posting as cougar fans, cougar fans weak in the knees and screaming the sky is falling and questioning Bronco

Here is my question, why do fans not comprehend (I understand critics, but they are small chirping crickets) what BYU has done with it's system? A slew of missionaries, high academic standards, no sunday play or practice, when you put that all together and realize that no other team anywhere even comes to close to fielding a football team under those conditions, what BYU is doing is flat out unheard of in the sporting world. It's incredibly remarkable. Yes, cheating is an option to have success (Ohio St., Miami, FSU, Nebraska, USC, Oregon...) but that's not how the cougars roll.

So when other teams employ the same standards as BYU and have the success they've had, they are welcome to chime in and steer the program from their lazy boys, until then, sit back and enjoy an amazingingly successful athletic program...and soon, soon enough, BYU will be primed to put all critics to rest.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Determined to fix the offense? Determined enough to quit.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:55 p.m.

"BYU is a couple of plays from being undefeated at 4-0 instead of 2-2." The sad thing about that statement is that it's true. As terrible as our offense has been, indeed. We're a couple plays away from being 4-0. Sad reality! Then again, we're a "couple plays" aways from being 1-3!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:48 p.m.

Althought I don't think they'll do more, I do believe the Cougs will reach the 6 win threshold to play in the Poinsettia Bowl ... barely! But, at this point, that's the best I think they have going for them. There really is not option here. Riley is too hurt to help the team. The only alternative is Hill, who has 4 years of eligibility, or Lark. Give Riley 1-2 weeks to recover. The Cougs offense is the laughing stock of the country, shown in all its glory to our nat'l TV audiance. Egads.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 25, 2012 5:43 p.m.

If Doman wants to fix the offense, quick running designed QB run plays. It's killing the QBs. Use a QB run on short goal line stands, or 3rd and 1, otherwise let Alisa and Williams carry the load. If we run Hill as much as we did on the last Boise drive, he'll be on injured reserve also. Protect the QB, don't throw 'em at D linemen and LBs who want to take their head off.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 25, 2012 5:43 p.m.

@Topher
    I agree. I couldn't have said it better myself. I too am concerned about getting the Freshman Star's feet wet too soon and destroying him again (although Taysom is far tougher and more mature that Heaps was). Lark deserves the start. Let him play and let Taysom get some reps also.

I am astounded that Bronco wants to start Nelson even if he is not 100%. I know Doman doesn't. But I agree that Bronco is probably concerned that someone might show-up his boy Nelson. That was evident when he threw Hill under the bus for Bronco's own bad decision to go for the 2point play.

I still think Nelson is the best guy right now for the starting QB position, ONLY IF HE IS 100% HEALTHY. Otherwise he only hurts the team. He should not play this weekend.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 4:36 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug

Detmer doesn't have any experience at all, much less than even Doman. Kinda blows your entire "point" to pieces.

• Upson Downs Sandy, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 4:11 p.m.

I do not feel Bronco Mendenhal has the backbone to do what needs to be done and fire Brandon Doman. BYU fans shouldn't have to put up with losses and poor play calling while Doman "grows" into his position and his responsibilities just because he is Bronco's buddy.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 3:31 p.m.

I'm sorry but any belief one might have in Doman is based on faith, not evidence. He is predictable, he does not throw the ball downfield near often enough, especially give our outside receivers and he is far too willing to put up with illegal procedure calls. and the turnovers, from a senior QB, that should be intolerable.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 2:55 p.m.

"The script and offense are tailored for Riley right now, and it fits with what Taysom does," said Doman.

How does inserting Hill change the design? Perhaps the OC position needs rescripting.

• Topher Herriman, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:43 a.m.

After all the positive spin that can be placed on "if" and "could have been" the bottom line is that the offense is not prepared to play.
    It appears that Riley is hurt, continue to play him at a mediocre level or hold him out to heal up? Play him hurt and risk losing him for the season?
    Everyone wants to see the new guy play, granted I think he is great too. Didn't we go down this road with Heaps? If we play the new guy without bringing him up in the system and getting his feet on the ground may prove to do the same thing as happened with Jake.
    We have a back up quarterback that can throw the ball down field. We have a few long threat receivers that can get down field. We have another bunch of tight ends, backs etc to catch the ball in the flat. Why aren't we using them?
    I believe that Lark could do the job just fine and give Taysom some reps to help him get firmly planted in the position of Quarterback for next season.
    Hopefully these questions can be answered this week.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:18 a.m.

Doman,
    The best thing you could do to help the offense is turn in your papers and let someone with experience take the job. Why we took a guy with no experience whatsoever to run our offense is a mystery.

However, I know a great coach that's available: Ty Detmer.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Doman is going to be a good Offensive Coordinator. I'm not giving up on the guy yet.

Apo and the other kid are being wasted (see, I can't even remember his name). If Riley is limited, he shouldn't play. If you want to use your receivers, go with Lark. Otherwise, let this Hill kid loose.

I love Riley's heart. But a healthy Riley is probably bearly good enough. A limited Riley is not.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:37 a.m.

I see that BYU coaches believe that BYU played well against WSU. I didn't see it that way. I saw the WSU is a very bad team and BYU was just enough better to win the game. This past weekend Colorado, arguably one of the very worst teams in college football beat WSU. So BYU is at the level of CU, arguabkly one of the worst teams in college football. Beating WSU and Weber State (0-4) will not move BYU ahead of many lower tier teams. They need to beat Utah and Boise St. Oops. Now I see the problem!!

• Tokyo_Expat Tokyo, Japan
    Sept. 25, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Having only read the headline, I'm assuming that Brandon Doman has resigned...

• cork Murray, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 8:13 a.m.

Accountable???!!!! Since when has anyone been held accountable and changes made because they were found lacking at that place down south? Doman, rest easy. Bronco isn't going to fire you because he can't do your job and doesn't even have the interest to try. By the way, the two of you ought to get together some time just for fun. Get your stories straight at least.

And do you think you are out-foxing Norm this week by not letting on who will start on Friday? Get real. Hawaii has no defense but lucky for Norm they won't need one against us. We beat ourselves long before the team ever runs out on the field and the diehards start beating their chests, pretending we are world-beaters.

This is all so pathetic. A real administration would've let these inept guys go long ago. Instead, we continue to wallow in less than mediocrity since that's perfectly acceptable down south.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 7:24 a.m.

The offense won't be fixed until it is back to what it once was. In the "good old days", if we had the ball and 2 minutes left in the game, there was no doubt that we could score the winning touchdown. Now, we have an entire game and are lucky to score once. Doman's definition of offense does not match the traditional definition of offense at BYU. BRING BACK BYU'S TRADITIONAL OFFENSE!!!!! Anything less and the fans will not be satisfied!

• WhatsUpDoc Draper, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 7:05 a.m.

Is this whole program infected with Bronco business book speak? "I am the leader, so I'm master of the design. You are perfectly designed to get the results that you get, and the results we are getting are not what we want so we have to change the design." What? While that my be conceptually true, how about some English? Bronco is ultimately accountable because he's the head coach. He should be highly involved in this. Why is it every year by the third or fourth game the coaches are "soul searching" and "realize they are accountable"? How about some straight talk. We aren't good and offensively we are going to pick a philosophy and stick with it. Get an OC who hasn't run option his whole life.

Agree with another poster, blah, blah, blah, blah. Riley Nelson is an incredibly tough, outstanding individual. He's not a D1 QB. Move on. Get rid of the option to the boundary side. Start throwing the ball. Taysom would have been in a pro-style offense at Stanford and would have been great. Do the same at BYU. Get to a creative pro style offense.

• MarkWACougar Richland, WA
    Sept. 25, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Practice is not part of the record. New OC

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 1:31 a.m.

In 1984 Robbie Bosco played hurt, but did not hurt the team, he played great dragging that leg around against Michigan. But Nelson hurt the team against Utah and for certain against Boise; he couldn't run, he couldn't throw, he couldn't keep the ball out of Boise's hands--he hurt the team. Come on coach, this is a no-brainer. Sit Nelson for this week, no contact, no pads, no nothing; let the guy heal. If he doesn't heal, then we've given Hill some important experience, experience he's going to need over the next five weeks.

• docdages WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 25, 2012 12:53 a.m.

BYUalum - Have you seen a BYU game? Doman is the OC and is in the booth. The Unofficial QB's coach is Max Hall (Grad Assistant). He is the one on the field coach the QB's. Really what needs to happen is this... #1. Weber needs to go. O-line has been going down hill since he started...Lance R needs to take his place. The guy can fix anything that is broken..I love Lance R. #2.Then a real OC and a REAL QB coach needs to be hired and come up with an offensive scheme that will not pigeon hole BYU with only a running QB. Doman was a good player however he thrived under Gary who loved the running QB and he like Max Hall does not really know how to read a defense...Doman needs to be mentored just like everyone else and a good solid QC would help that. #3. Players need to be to play because of their talent...not their toughness and leadership...toughness and leadership can be taught...talent can't. #4.It maybe close to be collecting a short list of HC candidates in the next two years.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:06 p.m.

DN, why did you censure my last post?

Is it because I called these posters vultures and I would rather sit in the middle of the MUSS completely decked in all my BYU garb than to be associated with this bunch of anonamous bunch of vindictive buzzards?

Maybe it would have helped if I gave my real name. I'm Mike Brame, class of 85 ish.

This isn't thoughtful football debate, and it isn't even smack. If most of you had the chance to say to the face of the coach or player the things you are blathering here, you'd snivel away quicker than suspended boy after the Utah game.

I am ashamed, but not of Riley, not of the coaches, not of the team. I am ashamed of the people posting here and posing as fans.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:03 p.m.

What type of comment is this: "That's why he got the offense together on Monday and told players they have to practice harder, execute better, score sooner, be nastier and more determined with a greater sense of urgency." The issue is the play calling and management of the offensive game by the OC and the Head Coach. When will the AD get involved with this trainwreck and get things going. This has happened the last 2 weeks. Yes, there are QB's there that can run an offense but the OC needs to be able to call plays and manage the game plan. I have seen the Cougars now on TV and in person. I am not sure things are going to turn around anytime soon. I would not look past Hawaii at this point, after that, the schedule does not look pretty.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 11:02 p.m.

I'm not too worried about the QB situation. If Riley's healthy play him if not Hill will do good enough against Hawaii especially with some starter's rep under his belt.

What concerns me is this offensive line. Pretty sure the girl's soccer team plays rougher and tougher than this group of guys. We have a stable of stud RB's and they're being wasted.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:48 p.m.

The BYU Winning Plan: Play Hill. Fire Doman! Against Utah at least 7 off tackle QB options for ZERO yards! Then calling for a 2pt conversion on a Touchdown at Boise St? Give us a break. Get Hill ready to play and hope he progresses fast or at least he is ready for next year's tougher schedule. He will have 3 wideouts and two real Tight Ends to throw too next year!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:24 p.m.

The problem is if they start Hill, or play him more...like in an overtime, and he does well, that will make the coaches look bad and more fans will want Hill over Riley. I don't think Hill we be allowed to show what he can do, just as they put the brakes on Lark when he came in and did well. Bronco will protect Riley at all cost...he fields punts you know.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:05 p.m.

While I am sure much more took place at practice than revealed to the media. However, it's hard to imagine that great strides can take place over the course of the next two weeks, after spring and fall practices have gotten the offense to this mediocre point.

I am very surprised at the number of times we read about the loud crowd noise disrupting their efforts. Geez, what do they it's like at Notre Dame and SEC or ACC schools stadiums? Oh, wait, they're going to find out in a few weeks/

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 10:04 p.m.

I respect Brandon Doman as a player and a coach and dislike all this trash talk about him. In fact "talk is cheap!" He actually should have a QB coach and not have to do dual jobs, but that is not his fault.

My suggestion to Coach Doman is: While you are "toughening up the O line", please work on "toughening up" the play calling from the booth. Be creative and imaginative and not so predictable. Please don't play Riley Nelson this game. Let him heal for Utah State. Why continue to have him get banged up and then possibly be out for the season? Let Hill play and get experience. He is young, eager, and very good. Riley can be a cheerleader on the sideline. He is always involved in the game on or off the field!

Go Cougars!

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:44 p.m.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....same ol song and dance. Are you kidding me, all I hear is excuses. This pathetic O starts with the pathetic OC. These coaches are pathetic, they decide who play and right now, they are banking on a guy that is hurt, are you kidding me. C'mon Doman, find another job and please take Weber with you.

• Jerom Logan, UT
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:42 p.m.

Easy fix for the offense. Bench Riley, a glorified linebacker playing QB. And play, hill. Call up heaps and apologize for picking Riley over him. Playing Riley has been the biggest mistake in cougs history. Alex Kuresa could lead the cougs past, hawaii, weber state, and washington state easily with a W. so lets put in Taysom please, and get back to winning some games. against teams in the top 25, not teams from the wac