BYU football: Boise State squad may be young, but mighty dangerous at home

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:25 p.m.

SG you hit the nail right on the head.... that was a huge 30 point shallacking! LOL

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 20, 2012 9:17 a.m.

This is very exciting. Being able to watch BYU lay an egg two weeks in a row here on the East Coast. I'm already starting to tape my ankles.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 9:07 a.m.

That's the MINIMUM BYU gets. That's from home games! Then there is the money from byutv and from other games on national television like the ones against the utes last week, the broncos this week, and im sure Notre Dame and Georgia Tech will also be televised nationally. That's a lot more money. 4 Million is the least it can get. But it get a lot more

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:01 p.m.

Some people sound like Jr High kids.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:57 p.m.

"@ dumprake
    "if they play a clean game at Utah they probably win by 2 or 3 touchdowns"

This statement is a perfect example of why BYU fans get ridiculed so bad."

And then you read some of the uTefan comments on preseason articles talking about beating USC, going to the Pac12 CCG and a shot at the Rose Bowl. Typical uTe hypocrisy. Even your own conference doesn't take you seriously. Wazzou fans still think you lucked out and backed into your OT victory over them last year.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:39 p.m.

"Based on an ESPN article today.."

*yawn*.....looks like hedgehog is running out of material. He dusted that lame old post off from his archives in 2010.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:17 p.m.

Based on an ESPN article today, bYu contract with the "mothership" calls for a grand total of....wait for it....4 million per YEAR. A far cry from what we've heard duckhunter and his ilk claim as truth.

It would be in bYu's best interest to run...not walk to the door step of the BIG East commissioners doorstep and beg for entrance. It's becoming quite clear that bYu leaving the MWC was not a no brainer.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:13 p.m.

Falslev will really have something to cry about after this game!

• AIR Lehi, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:22 p.m.

It's kind of like when you go to play some pick-up basketball at the gym and take your brother or friend along, then they make you guard each other, it's like, crap, I want to play hard and do really well, but I don't want it to come at the expense of my brother or friend. That's kinda how it is for me. But it should be a fun game to watch!

Anyway, I'll be in the stands on Thursday cheering on my Boys in Blue, while my wife is at home cheering on her Boys in Blue. This will be a fun 12 year rivalry!

Go BSU!

• AIR Lehi, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:22 p.m.

The problem I've seen for BYU's offense is when Riley gets some pressure he is more prone to running around and then making a bad decision or maybe trying too hard to extend or make a play. When the turnovers come, they get down a little too quick on themselves and it seems to take them longer to rebound. I think memories of last year come flooding back and takes its toll. BYU's D looks pretty good, they are fast, strong, and hit hard.

• AIR Lehi, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:21 p.m.

From watching BYU's team last year and this year so far (a good majority of the players are back from last season) I believe this upcoming game will be a close, hard-fought game if both teams play up to their potential. The wild card in this game will be which offense BYU brings. From watching them last year and this year, they are like two different teams at times. The OC last year, Doman, was in his first year and called way too conservatively for most of the season. The team never seemed to find any rhythm or confidence. They also had a different QB for the first 4 or 5 games, Heaps. Which from what I've heard from players on the team, was a cancer to the offense. He thought he was better than everyone else and so players on the offense didn't want to play for him and no chemistry was ever established. With Riley, they improved in that area tremendously. The players have rallied behind Riley and at times can play very effectively and get good momentum going.

• AIR Lehi, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:20 p.m.

I have a unique perspective on the upcoming game against BYU. I am from Idaho, am a huge BSU fan, and live in Utah. My wife went to BYU and all her family are die-hard BYU fans. Ha ha, this is going to be a fun weekend in our household. Anyway, her family has season tickets to BYU and I have season tickets to BSU, so I have had a chance to watch many, many BYU games over the last 4 or 5 years both on TV and in person. And with me having BSU season tickets have seen almost every game in the last 4 or 5 years either on TV on in the stadium.

Continued on next post (reached 200 word maximum)

• onceuponatime Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:13 p.m.

This game will show both teams where they stand. How good is Joe Southwick and is BYU's D as good as the stats say they are? Southwick was not very good against MSU and BYU hasn't played anyone with a good offense yet. It's going to be a fun game to watch.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:11 p.m.

BYU 24
    BSU 17

Let the healing begin.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:05 p.m.

@dray no they'd rather play usc on their homefield like they already did. is byu doing that??

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Although I would like to see BYU win this one, I am not so taken in by the hype to think BYU has much of a chance this week. After the first 3 games, all of which showed BYU to be over-hyped and under performers, I am satisfied to sit back and enjoy an entertaining football game. There will be good plays and bad plays; good calls by refs and bad calls. The popcorn will be good and the announcers will be fun to listen to. If BYU wins, I'll be jumping all over the room. If they do as I expect, I'll be calm and admit that it went as I expected, less than I wish on BYU's part. Good luck Cougars! I wish you would draw me in again. I loved the good old days when I got REALLY excited. I long for those days.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:24 p.m.

DRay: I know, byu is absolutely dominating Utah lately so let's keep making fun of them.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:11 p.m.

@ dumprake
    "if they play a clean game at Utah they probably win by 2 or 3 touchdowns"

This statement is a perfect example of why BYU fans get ridiculed so bad.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:10 p.m.

BYU has guts to play BSU at their home field...is Utah doing that? Go Cougars!

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:40 p.m.

BSU does'nt rebuild they RELOAD! Even with a young team BSU still has faster, quicker, more talented players at about every position then BYU does. Give that and the fact that Coach Petterson is about four times the coach of Bronco, look for this game to get ugly in the second half. If BYU was going to win any of these games in this series it would be this year, but that wont even happen.

I am fan of both teams and have looked forward to this game for awhile. I just know that BSU has passed BYU up years ago as a superior program.

One thing I hope for is that both fans keep it classy. I know neither one of our fan bases are as annoying as the MUSS! And im pretty sure that a Bronco fan wont go after Bronco then cower away after Bronco takes him up on it. FYI that was hillarious.

Good luck Cougs

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:25 p.m.

@cougintex, dumpdrake, big cougar

delusion has reached a WHOLE new level down there in WAC-istan. i've never laughed so hard at a pathetic fan base in my life. IDAUTE hit the nail on the head.

• sportsrealist salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:18 p.m.

@y grag/ y dad

yeah a LOT tougher than you are at home.

Sept. 19, 2012 2:03 p.m.

So the latest reason you lost to the Utes was because Nelson was on drugs? That is a true classic excuse... AS for BSU and replacing players, well, they did. They have a solid running back, a very good QB and great receivers and only lost one guy off of a very good O line. Get ready to hear "that's another BRONCO - FIRST DOWN". They have a ton of team speed on defense and will be agressive going after the ball, expect 2 or 3 picks, and after the pick they all block like a return.

This is great for me, both my favorite teams playing you back-to-back, if he Utes beat ASU this really will be a week to remember!

GO BRONCOS!!!!

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:54 p.m.

It's the hurting of themselves BYU needs to worry about. If they play a clean game at Utah, they probably win by two or three touchdowns; but they really stunk it up; 8 false starts? penalties after a first down? fumbleitis...Clean it up BYU and yes, you can beat anybody, but play like 8th graders and Boise will score 50 on you again.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Good point by CougfaninTx about Riley. That was one of the first things I noticed in the game was Riley didn't look right in the eyes when the TV cameras did close ups of him at the beginning of the game. I wondered if he had taken muscle relaxers before the game or something because his movements were slow and not instinctive and he didn't seem to be thinking clearly until around the 4th quarter when he seemed to return to normal. About the 2nd quarter I was wishing Bronco would sit him down but it never happened.

Playing through pain, etc is one thing but if your play hurts your team and costs them the game then it's just selfish to go out on the field and play. Leadership is the only tangible asset Riley has at QB and when he left that in the lockerroom to start the game last week there was no reason to be playing him at all and he became a liability.

I hope either he or the coaching staff does the right thing if he's still not close to 100% come game time tomorrow.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:42 a.m.

"BYU is absolutely going to get killed by the Broncos and embarassed on national television."

*yawn* don't bother me kid, I'm busy. Most years BSU just reloads. This year is different, they're not replacing a guy here or a guy there, they're doing wholesale replacements on both sides of the ball.

BSU lost their top 9 tacklers on defense and have humongous holes to fill at QB, LT, RB, WR, DL (lost 4 or 5 of their top 6 guys). All told Peterson has to replace 17 of his 22 starters from last year.

Meanwhile, BYU returns nearly everyone and adds to that several former starters back from 2 yr missions to add to the depth chart. Also, BYU's offense will be mad as hornets and looking to have a bounce back from a disappointing game last week. They will be on par with the superb play of BYU's top 10 defense this week. Expect to be BYU's 10th straight opponent held to under 300 yds total offense this week and expect BYU's offense to roll over all the freshman you're starting on defense.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:28 a.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad - LOL! That was a good one on Colorado.

Watch out, Bronco will wear all blue on their Smurf Turfs. So why not we wear all blue for that game too and put on blue wig over the Y helmets. The ref will be confused. I know it sound silly stuff.

• Plattcop2 Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:25 a.m.

BYU is absolutely going to get killed by the Broncos and embarassed on national television. I think Mendenhall will start being featured in those "Coaches Who Are on the Hot Seat" articles after Thursday night's game. If they coluldn't handle a mediocre Utah Utes squad there is no way they will be able to hang with BSU = especially in their house.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:18 a.m.

BYU's offense needs to show up for this one, to have a chance. If we play like we did against the Utes, it will be a loss. I'm not sure what's wrong with Riley, but he was not himself during the Ute game. I realize Utah has a tough defense, but it was more than that. Not sure if he's more injured than he's telling us or if the pain meds took away his edge. But that was not the Riley Nelson at RES that I know.

If Riley's performance against BSU is similar in the first part of the game, I'd bring in Lark / Hill and give Nelson a rest.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:40 a.m.

byu & boise st have identical fan bases. Should be fun.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:17 a.m.

Great comment, thanks!

Shouldn't you be worried more about Colorado? I understand they're even tougher at home.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 2:34 a.m.

Great chance byu's sitting at 3-6 heading into November....SJSU c/b the team which seals their fate as not qualifying for a bowl game.

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:57 a.m.

BYU will lose by 30 points. Riley will get hurt and miss half the season. It will be a blood bath. Bronco chokes in the big games. This one will be hard to watch.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 18, 2012 11:48 p.m.

According to what? They have no track record!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 18, 2012 6:38 p.m.

Everyone is dangerous when playing BYU...