BYU football: No time for feeling sorry, Cougars thinking Boise State Broncos

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 18, 2012 8:25 p.m.

"To hide ones head in the sand and point fingers at the "other" guy (Utah a predominantly LDS University!) seems a tad bit childish and closed minded but then I suppose we have hit on the root of the problem."

And yet that is EXACTLY what you did in your previous post.
    I don't condone bad behavior by any athlete. But your saying it was only coming from BYU is just plain dishonest. Save your lecture for the Ute fans storming the field taunting the players and coaches.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 18, 2012 4:50 p.m.

As I have stated before, I lowered my expectation this year so I wouldn't be disappointed. The first two weeks we so fun, but I saw the warning signs for a dismal season. BYU coaching doesn't understand that the Riley run as the primary play is just not going to work. Ah well, because my expectations are so low, and given that BYU played beneath those low expectations Saturday, I'm expecting no more wins in the next 6 games. Go head Cougars. EXCEED my expectations and win one for the old man here. PLEEZE exceed them.

Go Cougs!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 18, 2012 10:17 a.m.

As a die hard Ute fan, let me just say that I love this kid. Riley Nelson is a man and his attitude of "It's over--lets play," is what I would want to hear as a coach. I give BYU a great chance to either keep this game close or maybe win it. This is not the Boise State of old. The Cougars have a tough as nails qb--a wonderful reciever in Hoffman and Kyle Van Noy is someone who is setting the tone for the defense. Now that BYU is no longer our scorned rival, (combined with the fact that Boise State always kills us) I am free to say that I am pulling for BYU to step up and shock the state of Idaho on Thurs.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 18, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Both Utah and BYU need to get over the game, and fast. Boise State is better than Utah, and Arizona State is better than BYU. Both games will be a huge test for the Utah schools.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Sept. 18, 2012 1:12 a.m.

BYU could be 0-6 in the upcoming weeks:

Boise State...already discussed above
    Hawaii...Chow vs Doman...??
    Utah State...Chucky and Defense looked good at Wisconsin
    Ore. State...probably a win for BYU
    Norte Dame...enjoy your trip to my great state...
    Georgia Tech...they've been tough so far

Then back to the confines of the friendly WAC... Chris B...your thoughts as perhaps the worlds best prognosticator? I loved your white suspenders at the game by the way...

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:47 p.m.

BYU's defense held Utah to:

Utah only had ONE drive over 40 yards (65 yards - blocked FG try).

That's because:

4th and 6 at BYU 24 Riley Stephenson punt for 50 yards, returned by Charles Henderson for 57 yards to the BYU 17.... Next play TD Utah 7-0

4th and 23 at BYU 4 Riley Stephenson punt for 53 yards, returned by Charles Henderson for 18 yards to the BYU 39.... next play TD Utah 24-7.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:02 p.m.

First, to echo Scott Farcus, Beaver, UT comments, how is independence going these days for BYU? I see the BSU game even at this point. I watched the Utah game and saw no excitement or passion for the game from Bronco on the BYU sidelines. BYU is going to Boise and I can tell you, there is excitment and passion in the Bronco's. This is how they play the game. The fans will also be there and it will be loud. I am looking for a great game but I really see BYU going a different direction from BYU teams in the past. It seems as though the coaching staff and even some players just have nothing to play for. Is this program slowly grinding to an end? I hope not as I have enjoyed watching the Cougars in times past.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 10:56 p.m.

you have never played a sport huh? you dont EVER, EVER, EVER travel on gamedays regardless of how much time you think they have to be ready for the game.

• ZionCurtMole SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 10:55 p.m.

@ idablu
    Thank-you so much for cementing my argument. And yes there are LDS players on both sides........ And why should no one expect exemplary play or a code of conduct that is not reproachable? TCU, Notre Dame, SMU, Rice have all come to Utah, are able to show poise and respect for the other team as well as numerous secular/state schools as well. To hide ones head in the sand and point fingers at the "other" guy (Utah a predominantly LDS University!) seems a tad bit childish and closed minded but then I suppose we have hit on the root of the problem.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 10:51 p.m.

i watched the game and juicebox is absolutely correct. your team did nothing i repeat NOTHING until utah went to their prevent defense. so maybe YOU should try watching the game next time. the only reason your team had more passing yards was because of that phantom no-call for illegal sub. on the U defense that cause the clock to stop for you who had ZEROOOO timeouts, which led to a horrible defensive breakdown for a 47 yard pass on 4th and 13, but you watched the game so of course you know that.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Oh, please spare us the self-righteous indignation speech about how the Utah players are angels and the BYU players are nothing but brutes. Perhaps you didn't pay attention to the fact that there were over twice as many unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against Utah as there were against BYU. BYU players weren't charged for head targeting like Utah was twice. There were LDS players on both sides of a very emotional game, and behavior isn't always exemplary by either team. And this year's game, compared to many preceding rivalry games was pretty clean. So in the words of Elder Uchdorf, "just stop." I watched the game too, and what little rough play there was from both teams isn't even worth commenting on, and certainly wasn't just BYU. I am "appalled" at your hypocrisy.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 9:34 p.m.

As a loyal BYU fan I will rarely criticize the Cougars but what I saw in Saturdays game was disturbing. The biggest failure was Riley's running game. I do like a QB that will scramble but Nelson chooses to be a running back rather than scrambling and looking for the open receiver. All the utes needed to do was keep coverage on all receivers, open up a "tempting" hole for Riley and then target on him... he would run to the hole everytime.

I'd prefer to see him spend more time looking for the open receiver and lobbing the ball out there.

The Utes surprised me with their play. Like others commenting here I expected Wynn to leave the game early. But I didn't expect to see there offense score against our defense. Our stupid mistakes again led to our loss.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 6:49 p.m.

Chris B., seriously, shut up. Nelson is a class act. He gets it done on the field. He accepts responsibility. A lot of fans could learn a lesson from him.

• ZionCurtMole SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 6:29 p.m.

I am astounded at the play of BYU even beyond what I have seen in the past. I am usually disappointed with the smack talk that the Utes bring to the game but it seemed they were not on par with the rhetoric, a pleasant surprise. In contrast student athletes of Brigham Young university should realize that they represent the university and their actions reflect on the Church. Saturdays game was a display of cheap shots, intimidation, unsportsmanlike conduct and general behavior unfit for and college athlete much less church university students. I am appalled, surprised, yet relieved that there were not injuries at the potentially harmful actions by BYU players. Shameful, inexcusable, and down right dirty. I hope the nation did not see on T.V. what was witnessed at the game as this will reflect in a negative way not only on the School, but the Church and beyond.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2012 5:16 p.m.

I really don't understand why they are skipping a valuable practice by leaving on Wednesday for a Thur night game. They could have a light practice Wed, leave thur morning, unpack, eat, have a light workout and be ready in plenty of time before the game.

I actually think with some prep time, BYU has a chance here. On the other hand,I just don't think they have enough time to adequately prepare on 2 practices. That is ridiculous. and if Bronco can't adequately prepare his team against their well-known rival in a week, then how can we expect him to prepare them in 2 days for lessor known team.

Nelson can redeem himself with this game. Can he do it? Actually BSU has better and faster defensive backs than Utah does. But I'm saying there's a chance

BYU has shown how much a noisy crowd rattles them. You can bet BSU will go for the Jugular.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 4:24 p.m.

BYU is too easy to stop. Just play tight man defense like the U did and force Nelson to throw into tight windows. Game over.

• Barney Google Beaver, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 4:17 p.m.

@ thejdog123
    " So Scott Farcus...How's living in Beaver going?"

Obviously better than Independence!

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 17, 2012 3:44 p.m.

BYU's best offensive play came from Nelson and Hoffman drawing it up on the sidelines. How does that feel Doman?

If the definition of insanity is, "doing the same thing while expecting different results." Then Doman is beyond fit for the funny-farm.

I just hope somebody pulls the plug on his headset on Thursday so we don't have to watch Alisa repeatedly run into the teeth of the defense. Or better yet, watch Doman call the same Option play 6 different times....while gaining a solid 7 combined yards.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 17, 2012 3:33 p.m.

We have a killer defense. We have no offense. We will beat Boise because Boise has no offense. I am still sick about Saturday night. Nelson has still not beaten a good defense. I dont think he can. Bummer.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 3:25 p.m.

Do you need a tissue there buddy? Your "top 25" cougs couldn't even beat the Utes, even without our two starting safeties and without White as well. Not to mention you guys had plenty of help from those lame refs, and you still couldn't do it. I guess that explains why you're still an Indy-WACer and nobody wants you. What is that, 8 out of 11 for the Utes now, 3 in a row? We own U, deal with it! Have fun in November. Hope Boise doesn't beat you too badly.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 17, 2012 2:10 p.m.

Juice Box

"And word is spelled with a D. As in defense, something the Cougars didn't have Saturday against a 2nd string QB."

You were obviously watching a different game than the rest of us.

BYU's defense held Utah to:

245 total yards
    196 passing
    49 rushing
    17 points

Utah only had ONE drive over 40 yards (65 yards - blocked FG try).

Utah's scoring drives:
    2 plays - 17 yards - passing TD
    8 plays - 23 yards - FG
    1 play - 39 yards - passing TD

Utah PUNTED, had a turnover on downs, had a blocked FG try, or failed to score on 11 of 14 drives.

Your "2nd string quarterback" has been Utah's 1st stringer all along.

Every realistic fan knew that Wynn probably wouldn't last longer than the first hard hit he took, which was exactly 38 passes into the season, less than one full game. Hays was Utah's starter for most of last season, so whining about him being your "2nd stringer" is a laugh. Besides, aren't major conference teams are supposed to be loaded with depth? I guess that explains why you're still just a mid-PAC major.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 17, 2012 1:31 p.m.

Juice Box,
    Uh, look at the stats. BYU D smothered the Utes. It was Utes D turning the favor on BYU's offense that cost BYU the game.

If you're gonna comment, perhaps you should have watched the game.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Sept. 17, 2012 1:04 p.m.

I don’t know how the rest of you feel, but as for me, I feel much better now since reading our head coach, Bronco Mendehal’s comment regarding the Uah game.

“ There’s a lot of time, though to assess what we can do better”.

This is for our two day practice before going to Boise State to play our game Thursday.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 12:17 p.m.

You're not as humble as you say you are.

• thejdog123 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 12:06 p.m.

So Scott Farcus...How's living in Beaver going?

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:44 a.m.

So Cougar fans, how is Independence going?

• thejdog123 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:38 a.m.

@CougFanin: Please don't use such big works like epiphany when writing a comment to Chris B. there is no possible way that he knows what that means. So to help you out Chris B. (me being such a humble cougar fan) I have copy and pasted the definition for you. You're welcome.
    1. Epiphany
    a. A Christian feast celebrating the manifestation of the divine nature of Jesus to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi.
    b. January 6, on which this feast is traditionally observed.
    2. A revelatory manifestation of a divine being.
    a. A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
    b. A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization:

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:19 a.m.

@chris b - Utah and BYU both showed that they have strong defensive teams, but neither have an offense. Utah will not finish in the top half of the PAC12 South. Utah will be challenged to be bowl eligible. USC, UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State all look better than U this season. So unless U find an epiphony for your offense, U may start hoping for the New Mexico bowl, because I'm betting it will be New Mexico or bust for the Utes this year. If the Utes make it to the PAC12 Conference Championship game against Oregon, I will become a devoted fan of yours and sing your praises everytime you post. Mark it down.

As for the Cougs, I started the season predicting 10-2 and 8-4 as a worse case scenario. Now 8-4 seems very likely, and 7-5 is possible. If we can't beat the Utes; there is no way we will beat BSU, ND or GT. And Oregon St is looking like a 50/50 at this point. We are Poinsetta bound - not a great bowl, but a great place for me to spend the holidays.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Saturday's game only proves one thing: BYU is not nearly as good as people thought, since they couldn't even beat a mediocre at best Utah team.

• AZCoug Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 17, 2012 10:47 a.m.

I'm thinking Chris B. was one of the overzealous Ute fans that almost cost their team the game on Saturday by rushing the field. As a BYU and ASU alum, I will enjoy watching the Devils put the hurt on the Utes this week in Tempe! Utah 0-1 in PAC12 play, mark it down.

• spudlydoright McCammon, Idaho
    Sept. 17, 2012 10:20 a.m.

As a Boise fan I certainly want them to win on Thursday; but at the same time I know better than to try and make a prediction. However, I do know one thing; BSU will be prepared for the game and I am not so sure about the Y. I have seen them less than prepared too many times in the recent past.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Honestly, I don't think BYU will win. Boise St. is as hostile as Utah is to play in. BYU needs to find who they REALLY are this week in practice and play with that mentality. They need to prove themselves. For that reason, I don't think they can do so with 3 days of practice. Too much to clean up after Saturday (also ugly for Utah, don't get me wrong).

Boise will win by 3 TD's.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 17, 2012 8:35 a.m.

BSU - another team that has earned it's way to respect in national circles. Another team that has average talent but great coaches that prep their team to play at a higher level and not choke. It will be interesting to see, now that we are out of the BCS picture (one and done when you are not in a BCS conference, fellow fans), if we can get ourselves up for ANY game at all this year of consequence.

So, what has BSU got that we haven't? Money? Fan base? Facilities? Opportunity to play big name teams? I would like to know what BYU's goal IS as a program. If we are out there to win and become a top-tier program, then this coaching staff isn't getting it done. I'm tired of sloppy, boring, flat teams wearing the Blue and White.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 8:28 a.m.

byu is going to pound Boise.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 7:57 a.m.

Byu's season is over. At the hands of Utah. This was a perfect week!

We're on to meet Oregon for the Rose Bowl

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 7:52 a.m.

This game could get ugly. BSU finally found their offense last week. Boise will be ready and a quick turnaround can't be good. Go Broncos!