U.S. & World

Glenn Beck uses Friday show to highlight stories of Mitt Romney's generosity

Comments

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Ummm....real income for the middle class has now gone down $4000 per year since Obama's coronation. Government spending is out of control and our national debt is putting the security and future of our nation in a hangman's noose. How can you liberals defend this Marxist? Tax fairness? What is fair about taking from one to give to another at the point of a gun?

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Ok liberals, tell us when Obama has done anything like what Romney has done. When did Obama spend his own time and money to help people around him? We know that Obama's brother had to go to a conservative to get $1000 for medical bills. Why couldn't Obama's own brother rely on him?

Do you really want somebody to be President who is not willing to sacrifice their own time and money?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:27 a.m.

@the truth
    "Health increase rates are irrelevant, when costs ARE going up "

I just said that the cost of healthcare is increasing at a slower rate than past years and you call it irrelevent... then you say costs are going up.

"must increases to pay for all preexisting conditions,
    or pay to insure more people
    any mandate increases costs,
    and only hurts the poor and middle class"

You know what hurts the poor and middle class even more? Not having access to affordable healthcare.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 11:25 a.m.

@OnlyInUtah
    "Liberals refuse to look at the purity of his heart and concern for others while nit picking at little details"

Little details? Since when are his views on defense spending/warmongering (his team is full of neocons), taxation, healthcare, entitlements, and regulations little details aside from the fact that he provides little details about how he'd go about deficit reduction, tax policy, or reforming healthcare.

• Conner Johnson
    Sept. 17, 2012 9:50 a.m.

So generous, yet so secretive when it comes to revealing the tax returns... something smells fishy here!

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 9:23 a.m.

I have no doubt Romney is a great guy. That doesn't mean I agree with his policies and want him to run this country.

The sad thing is about 18 months ago before this whole election thing started I really liked Romney, I had looked into his record and saw someone who I thought would be a great leader and a great unifier and moderator. Someone with moderate stances who could get things done. Then the election kicked into gear and he went more and more to the right in order to win the nomination, and there he has pretty much stayed. I no longer agree with him and no longer think he is the right choice. I really have no idea who would show up in the white house, Governor Romney from his past, or Candidate Romney from the primaries.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 17, 2012 8:56 a.m.

Truth.... you rant about forcing us to defy the laws of physics would be great if only what you claim is already possible in other parts of the world. Technologies like Diesel power which much of the rest of the world embrace already have many parts of the world realizing goals very close tot hose being proposed here.

To presume we are currently at a dead end of innovation and technology is a very short sighted view. First there was human power, then animal, then steam, then oil. To presume we are not at the end state of energy.

Again political rhetoric thought is blocking what truly is possible. You have to look no further than the phone in your pocket to see how much previous technology has been far further surpassed than anyone ever envisioned.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 17, 2012 8:49 a.m.

I don't agree with Beck much.... but..

""He is a decent man. It doesn't mean that his policies are necessarily the ones that everybody in the world has to agree with, but he is a decent man."

I think this statement could be made about either man. It is too bad we can't keep the conversation at this level. But here is where Beck is one of the worst violators of this policy in that his radio show spends a good deal of its time berating and belittling those who don't think in lock step with him.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 5:23 a.m.

Re: "I have never witnessed anything like the vile hatred the far right has for Obama."

So, you must have been living under a rock somewhere during the left's Bush-derangement years?

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Maybe if political candidates (of both parties) treated their opponents like they were decent people, then we'd see the transformation that we all hope for...

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 9:16 a.m.

Brent Bot. Do you have verifiable proof that Obama's birth certificate is altered. If you do I would love to see it. If not can we please drop the birth certificate issue and focus on more important issues. The country is sick of the birth certificate issue. As far as his social security card I read a perfectly plausible explanation that had to do with how numbers were iisued prior to a certain date. I have never witnessed anything like the vile hatred the far right has for Obama. I for one am sick of it. I am not voting for Obama. I just want to focus on real issues instead of endless conspiracy theories and the never ending criticism of everyting Obama does.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 7:59 p.m.

@ the truth

No, the colonists did not compromise with England. That was not the point I was making. They DID negotiate and compromise with eachother. That's what I was hoping to illustrate. Another point is that they could negotiate and compromise becasue they were on the *same team* and knew that if they didn't, the grand idea that is America would never happen (i.e. Either we all hang together, or surely we will hang separately).

Having said that, I will say that I don't want to start any contentions between two branches of the same party. A house divided . . . and all that. I hope we can ourselves work together. In that vein, I think we need all people of all parties to work together, because indeed, as you say, the ship is listing.

• fkratz Portland, OR
    Sept. 15, 2012 6:47 p.m.

Mitt Romney may be a benevolent man but why would such information have to arrive via Glenn Beck, who has made a career out of turning fiction into fact? Mr. Romney, chose as a career, that of a leveraged buyout operator. His firm Bain Capital, borrowed billions to take over firms in a highly leveraged manner, saddling them with debt and extracting hundreds of millions from their balance sheets. This has become the new frontier of American business which began in earnest in the 80's when men like Michael Milken began using debt and leverage to extract huge profits from company balance sheets while creating "value" for shareholders. Many good articles exist which detail how Bain has operated.

If Romney is elected, he has vowed to dismantle Dodd/Frank, thereby removing the only regulations that may have any chance of keeping banks from the mischief they foisted on the Nation before the collapse, which destroyed millions of jobs and tanked the economy. They are among his largest donors and they are waiting. Gambling magnate Sheldon Adelson has pledged $100 million to elect Mr. Romney. It's a brave new world.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 5:58 p.m.

@cjb

You can try and pass bill forcing greater fule efficiency,

but you can't pass bills that change the laws of physics,

To meet hose standards all they do is make smaller more dangerous vehicles, and make them out of lighter materials made from oil like plastic,

We never gained a single barrel of oil from a war, in fact we getting less,

you can put on your tin foil big oil conspiracy hats,
    but it all utter nonsense.

also forcing gm to make an electric car at a great loss, and then charge a fortune for it does not help the poor or middle class

and "tax fairness" is a big lie, it is neither fair nor does it actually help anyone, gainingg maybe 60 billion when are incurring trillions in debt does not help

@atl

Health increase rates are irrelevant, when costs ARE going up to pay for mandates
    rates must increases to pay for all preexisting conditions,
    or pay to insure more people
    any mandate increases costs,
    and only hurts the poor and middle class

regulation is hurting small/big business, the employer of the poor and middle class, and takes freedom away

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 5:43 p.m.

Romney has shown himself to be very human.
    Romney has shown he learns from his mistakes,
    Romney has certainly learned to love his brother.

Obama moves "forward" bullheadedly trying to implement his ideology and agenda, with NO compromise.

Worse Obama refuses to help even any in his extended family, not his brother, or aunt or uncle, there is no charity in the man,

Every single article on Glenn Beck the Left comes out in droves spewing hate and lies,

even those claiming to be LDS,

the LDS do not leach such hate,

Where has the left learn to hate so?

as the song goes "you must be carefully taught"

so who is teaching those on the left to hate so?

@very concerned

I don't believe the founding fathers ever compromised on principle or values,

the Declaration of Independence certainly doesn't show any compromise with england.

Can you show where the left has ever compromised with the right?

why can't the left compromise with the tea party?

attacking the tea party is false argument, they're not in power, it is like attacking the new helmsman for saying we need to right the listing ship.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 5:25 p.m.

Having previously given my opinions, let me say that based on the issues that face us, the ideologies of the candidates, and my assessment of the character of the candidates, Tea Party or no, Mitt is no question the superior candidate over our leftist, ultra-liberal, current president. President Obama has not delivered much more than a significantly larger deficit.

He has loads of charisma. I'll give him that. But he was one of the most liberal senators ever, and he hasn't changed his tune. His approach to socialising medicine is heavy-handed, forcing his vision of utopia on a lot of the country's citizens who don't share his views.

Even if Mitt were as bad as some say, his character and judgment would still be demonstrably superior. I, for one, however, do not believe Mitt is inferior or fundamenally flawed. He's human, not perfect, but far and away the better hope for the country. His experience, ideologies, morals, and methods put him light years ahead of President Obama in qualifications.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 5:05 p.m.

Some Observations:

There is a quote I like. It goes something like, *There are lies, darn lies, and then statistics.* Put in your own expletive for *darn*. I see so much spin put on every issue that I can hardly believe either side. Up is down and down is up. Good is bad and bad is good. I am left to decide based on my own judgment, principles, issues, and perceptions of the character of the candidates. I guess that way of deciding isn't so bad after all. It's just too bad we don't have a reliable source for all information. Of course, I have my own bias as to which sources I trust, and likely so do you.

I'm a republican, but not much of a Tea Party fan. IMHO, what we DON'T need is more unbalanced, extreme politicians, who will not listen to anyone else. As I get older, I think I'm getting more moderate in my views. I see the wisdom in compromise and negotiations, even if they are difficult. That is how the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were hammered out by the founding fathers.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 15, 2012 5:03 p.m.

Will this comment be acceptable to DN "moderators"?

For every story of what a kind and charitable person Romney is, there are others which show him to be a cold, incurious, unsympathetic person who ignored the plight of average, hard-working Americans.

LDS Church stance: we don't endorse political candidates or parties;

Sorry, as evidenced by church-owned DN, that statement is just not believable.

• RyanWhiting OREM, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 4:40 p.m.

That was a great article. Thanks for helping us to know more about the Republican presidential candidate.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 15, 2012 3:58 p.m.

We learned something else about Romney this week. If someone were to make an ugly, offensive movie trailer about the Pope or a leader of the LDS church it goes denigrates freedom of speech and would be considered an apology to say

"the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths. We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others."

or to say:
    "the Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings {insert denomination} – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.....Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 3:55 p.m.

Just out of curiosity, where ARE the stories of Obama's generosity? Where are the stories of him actually helping people rather than just talking about helping people.

The biggest lie of the last 50 years is that the Democratic Party is for the 'little guy. Their policies have created more dependency on government, not less.

Romney has Obama out-classed in almost every way. Obama is a talker, Romney is a doer. It's that simple.

The argument that Obama's energy policy helps the middle class is laughable. How do excessively high gas and energy prices HELP the middle class?

• The Taxman Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 15, 2012 3:00 p.m.

This story (regarding an entertainment program) is not news and DN has no business trying to pass it off as such. I thought the Church was supposed to be nonpartisan?

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Mitt Romney will be the most honorable President of the past century. Liberals refuse to look at the purity of his heart and concern for others while nit picking at little details hoping to confuse the issues.

Obama isn't half the man of character that Mitt Romney is.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 2:50 p.m.

I think Mitt Romney is a fine individual and has done lots to help people. I don't dispute that one iota. But I'm not going to vote for him because I don't think his policies are good for the USA. I think we are more likely to go to war with a President Romney, I think the poor and middle class will become poorer with a President Romney and I am afraid that the "know-nothing" elements of the Republican party will hold more sway with a President Romney (he doesn't seem to have the spine to tell them to back off of silly anti-science rhetoric, etc.) So, while I think he's probably a wonderful human being, I don't want him to be President.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 2:39 p.m.

Mitt Romney is not a politician.

Politicians are the one's who enhance their income and assets at the expense of the taxpayers.

Obama is a politician.

• The Taxman Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 15, 2012 2:17 p.m.

DN - Since when is what one entertainment talk show host is talking about news?

Are you going to tell us what Jay and Dave and Ellen talked about on their last programs too?

The only reason you would print this "article" is if you are shilling for Romney and/or Beck, which you should not be doing.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Look,
    I admit...I have been hard kn Mitt Romney.
    And I will probably NOT vote for him and here's why --

I like the OLD Mitt Romney,
    the Gov. Romney before the Tea-Party extremeists morphed him into a monster after their own kind.

I liked the Romneycare Healthcare politician.
    I liked the Pro-choice [per LDS policy] Romney - not the GOP platform of No aboration, ever, not for ANY reason tea-party extremeist.
    I liked the Anti-War Romney.
    I liked the Pro-Union Romney.
    I liked the Enviromentally friendly North Eastern Rockerfeller Republican from Massachucetts.

I don't like this Flip-Flopping, say-anything, Tea-Party stooge the GOP has changed and created.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 15, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Who in their right mind is going to believe Glenn Beck; Romney needs to release his tax returns and let the voters decide for themselves.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 2:11 p.m.

Could it actually be that Mitt IS a decent man? For purposes of making a point, I will not comment here on President Obama's character, but as far as Mitt is concerned, please at least be open to the fact that he may be a wise and honest person. Don't just have a knee-jerk reaction based on his party affiliation.

I believe Mitt IS a good man, along the likes of Reagan and Jimmy Carter. I liked John McCain too, if you really want to know. There have been good men and women of both parties who have served their countries well, maybe differently, but well.

• Pendergast SLC, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 1:50 p.m.

@ Hutterite 10:02 a.m.

Agreed.

Re: cjb 10:58 a.m.

"If Glen beck overlooked president Obamas shortcomings and touted his strengths to the same extent that he does George Washington's, Glen Beck would be president Obama's biggest cheer leader."

Usually, a picture is worth 1000 words. However, the cover of the aforementioned book can be summed up in 1 word.... ego.

• Rutland vs. Medfield Seattle, Wa
    Sept. 15, 2012 1:40 p.m.

Re: the truth

"Th(sic) truth does not have an agenda nor an ideology."

This is the only true statement in your comment.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 12:46 p.m.

@the truth
    "or trying to tell us it doesn't matter."

Well it doesn't, at least not to any real extent. I'm pretty sure there's nothing Obama could've done from a charitable perspective that would change your vote.

"How are obama's policies helping the poor and middle class?"

Healthcare cost increases are at their slowest rate in over a decade. For the first time in over a decade fewer people were uninsured this past year compared to the previous year. 4.5 million private sector jobs have been gained the past 2.5 years. Jobs bills (thrown in the trash by the Republicans) would've yielded plenty more in areas like education and construction.

The foreign policy criticism is silly when you're got Governor shoots-before-aiming over there.

Regulation protects people. After what the banks were doing that caused the recession, why would we want them to mess around in the derivatives market like that? Why would we want them to get to a point where their failure would decimate the economy much worse than what we just went through?

I agree on detention on patriot act but... republicans support those things.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 12:06 p.m.

Re the truth

How do Obamas energy policies help the middle class? For starters he has pushed through even stricter auto fuel economy standards which will be taking place over the nect several years, helping our country to rely less on imported sources. This makes it less of a necessity that we have to continually go to war in the middle east.

Next he is actively supporting renewable sources of energy.

In addition he is fighting for tax fairness. Due to past mis-management, the federal government will have to cut back. Obama is ensuring that this burden will not fall exclusively on the poor and middle class.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Sept. 15, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Romney says nobody has asked him for his birth certificate. Big difference.

He got a draft notice but went on a mission to France instead. Since the greatest thing you can do is lay down your life for your friends and since Mitt actually held a sign at a demonstration FOR the draft - that was not the most selfless choice was it?

Beck is praising Mitt for not seeking aknowlegment for his service but it comes strangly at a time that his political campain is trying to seek aknowlengement for Romney being a human.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:40 a.m.

How nice.
    Glenn Beck, an LDS member who has a weak record in relation to accurately and truthfully reporting on his program is touting Mitt Romney, another LDS member, with a questionable history of accuracy and truth in his quest to become president.

Meanwhile, Mitt's stances continue to shape-shift.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:30 a.m.

It's not surprising the extreme left would come on crying lies or trying to tell us it doesn't matter.

The left will only believe what their leftest leaders and pundits tell them to believe.

Th truth does not have an agenda nor an ideology.

@atl134

How are obama's policies helping the poor and middle class?

Rising energy costs (energy will necessarily sky rocket under his polices), increasing the cost of food and heat and electricity and all other goods and services making life MORE difficult for the poor and middle class,

continued High unemployment and increased dependency on government,

rising deficits that are economically destroying the country,

horrible foreign policies that dis our allies and befriend radical extremists like the muslim brotherhood and stirring up a firestorm in the middle east,

policies that increasing regulation and taking away freedom, controlling schools, restaurants, grocery stores, even bake sales, using unmanned predator drones to spy on our citixens, renewing the patriot act, passing executive order to arrest and detain and kill citizens without due process,

policies that are increasing the cost of health care and the number of irs agents by 16000,

taxing charity,

which policies are helping?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:58 a.m.

In other words, he isn't about the truth, but he has an agenda, and he uses facts selectively to support that addenda. That addenda? To make a long story short, he supports changing tax policy in such a way that would transfer even more wealth from the middle class and the poor to the very well to do.

I have to hand it to Glen, he has been rather successful in getting the middle class and many poor to support policies and candidates that would further this addenda. This is an rather a amazing accomplishment, given that he has gotten so many people to act against their own best interests. Once their social security that they paid into all their life has been gutted, or once food stamps are no longer available to protect those who have lost their jobs or are under employed, they may regret that they fell for his sales job.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:52 a.m.

We're not electing a nice-guy-in-chief, we're electing a President. At least for me the argument has always been about how his policies aren't helpful to the lower and middle classes. Personal giving is nice and all but that only helps so many people... as President the bills you sign and decisions you make affect everyone so that's going to matter more.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:02 a.m.

When I think of beck, I think of hyperbolic, Herculean leaps of chalkboard logic into the realm of the near insane, combined with nazi props. I'm not surprised he's staging a mitt love in, and some of the stuff he says might be true. But nobody's mind is going to be changed, as far as voting.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Let's look at some other charitable activities of Mitt Romney:

Volunteer campaign worker for his dad's gubernatorial campaign 1 year.

Unpaid intern in Governor's office 8 years.

Mormon missionary in Paris 2 years.

Unpaid bishop and stake president 10 years.

Took no salary as president of the Salt Lake Olympics 3 years.

No salary as Massachusetts governor 4 years.

Gave his ENTIRE INHERITANCE to charity.

That's a grand total of 28 years of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church. Why? Because that's the kind of man Mitt Romney is.

And he'll show you his:

1) Un-doctored Birth Certificate!

2) College transcripts!

3) Law degree!

4) Un-doctored Draft notice!

5) And un-doctored Social Security card, and what state it's registered in!

When was the last time we elected a politician of this character, intellect, experience and integrity?

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 9:05 a.m.

Thank you for printing this story. It is filled with facts that will be hidden from most voters as the Democrats and their stenographers in the media keep up their attacks on "the evil rich" and "Romney doesn't care about people."

Now, in the interest of fairness, let's go see if anyone can find similar true stories where Obama or Biden have done similar good deeds with their own considerable wealth, not tax dollars.