Sports

BYU football: After storied rivalry moment, Andrew George, Max Hall will influence another meeting with Utah

Comments

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 13, 2012 4:07 p.m.

"Max Hall actually did play in the NFL and started 3 games. Not bad."

Actually it was bad. Check out his career stats and you'll see why not even Uncle Danny could save him from being waived and why nobody else even gave him a second look.
    1 touchdown, 6 interceptions, 5 fumbles...... get the drift?
    In fact, you and I both know if not for Uncle Danny calling in every marker he had in the Cardinal organization, Max would have had the same NFL career BJ did.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 9:15 a.m.

After reading the comments, Max was right.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:09 p.m.

@ Qwest

Now you're making fun of screen names, too, I see. I hope that makes you feel clever.

When referring to Kyle's classiness, please explain (spin) your version of the on-side kick against Wyoming a few years back when the Utes were way ahead in the game. Max certainly doesn't have the corner on boorish behavior, assuming it was boorish. Methinks it was pretty close to the truth and that's what it hurts so much that Ute fans just can't let it go. If they could, that would be classy, but I don't expect that to ever happen.

Also explain during the first meeting of BYU and Utah in SLC where the Uters won that Kyle made Bronco stand out on the 50 yard line alone for a long time before he figured he was supposed to go shake the opposing coach's hand at the end of the game. So yes, Kyle is classy......

I'm sure you remember his infamous words after the UNLV 27 - Utah 0 game, too.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 9:06 p.m.

@thinkshessmart

So were the Utes supposed to have a press conference to accept the apology? Max never called coach Whittingham or anyone else in the football program for that matter to apologize - the byu media relations department were the only ones making apologies.

I honestly could care less if he apologized or not. Kyle handled it perfectly by not responding. Have you ever heard Kyle say anything after his wife got punched by a byu fan? No you haven't. The irony is that it was Max who was being classless after a win none the less.

I've been to plenty of games at LaVell Edwards stadium and the ugliness exists on both sides. I'm fine with coug fans not attending games at Rice Eccles because tickets are already hard enough to get.

Go Utes!

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 11, 2012 8:16 p.m.

Gosh I hate all the trash talk! It's ridiculous!!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 7:54 p.m.

@ AwesomeOpussum

Thanks for totally making my point.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 7:36 p.m.

@ Go Red

Max's comments were while a reporter was interviewing him and wouldn't let his answer uffice....he kept pushing for mopre. And the U didn't investigate or deny his allegations, sweeping it under the red carpet (emphasis on 'red').

But the serious thing is after Max apologized NO ONE that wears red accepted it. Sure guys make mistakes (except maybe U fans) and then they apologize. Then the test of character is whether their apology is accepted or rejected and they are then forever branded by a few words.

We all see the "branding" that U fans love to put on everything. First it was Coach Wayne Howard; then it was Max Hall's comments; now it's "We're PAC 12 members!!" etc. Predictible behavior at its easiest, surely.

I say end this rival game and let U get on with your new rival Colorado. You may just be 0 - 2 against them in PAC 12 play after this year. For U, that would indeed be hard to take.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 7:25 p.m.

With respect to Max Hall, he was goaded into some of his comments by an over-exuberate SLC pro-Utah press that needed a story. After allowing for that, Max apologized but the Ute fans are too full of themselves to accept an apology; so maybe Max was right after all. (Too bad Max didn't just say "No comment" but that wouldn't have been fodder for the U haters to eat.) No one ever denied his allegations from the U athletic dept, either.

I've attended games at RES where security turned their heads when an innocent lady got hurt by U fans that were in their 30's that were taunting the Cougar band, totally uncalled for, so fisticuffs erupted.

I won't give Utah 5 cents of admission ever since that happened.

Oh, Dennis Pitta is playing for Baltimore, had 5 catches for 77 yds and a td is last night's 44-13 victory by the Ravens over the Bengals.....for those of U keeping track.

• CG Orem, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 6:53 p.m.

Troll fodder:

Still debating whether to wear my...

"Max likes me, not U"

t'shirt to the game.

-------

Rumor is, John White is injured and may be out two or three weeks. He didn't practice the last 20 minutes when reporters were allowed into the Utah practice.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 5:19 p.m.

@utahsnow

You say "If you understood the circumstances of Max's words vs. Alex's words you would agree that Max's words were a knee jerk reaction to sexual harassment against his mother at RES, but Alex's words were unprovoked and calculated."

This is revisionist history. You have the facts twisted around. Alex Smith's comments came when a reporter shoved a microphone in his face in the Ute locker room. They were prior to their game, the same kind of "rah rah" talk that is said in BOTH locker rooms.

As for Max Hall's comments, his comments were after BYU had just defeated the U on the pass, I believe, to George. His comments were well thought out, and he knew the effect they would have. As to the sexual harassment, what proof do you have of that? The only thing Hall said about that was that some fans (allegedly) poured beer on his family. Many of us have wondered how truthful those allegations were.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 4:26 p.m.

@mlh

If you can't get the link then perhaps they have a comprehension class at utah. If so you need to take it. Based on the "likes" to my comment quite a few people see the connection.

And what do the Max Hall's "rantings" have to do with whether or not he is still in the NFL? I ask what did Max "rantings" have to do with his much more extensive NFL career than Johnson's one day of mini camp?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 11, 2012 12:52 p.m.

I think Utah needs to be worried about the BYU defense. Their O-line did not look great the the new QB's will not enjoy the game, IMO. I don't know how you block that pass rush and they have totally stuffed the run. If Utah can't stop that pass-rush, it will get really ugly for them.

Today I pick BYU in a low scoring game. 17-3 or so. Yesterday I said a 7-point win. But it could be more like the WSU score. But I don't see how Utah beats this team unless they get some key turnovers.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 12:08 p.m.

@FromWA - I certainly hope you will never forgive Max Hall. I mean really, sometimes humanity must make a stand against pure evil and say, NO MORE! Like the Holocaust, the killing fields, John Wayne Gacy, and Osama bin Laden, Max Hall's comments will surely go down in the annals of history as the unforgivable act of a monster.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Max who?

• AwesomeOpussum4 West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Max Hall STILL hates me!

• kcougfan Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:42 a.m.

Qwest Perfected

Salt Lake City, UT

Why would you think Max Halls family would be at the game Saturday...??? Dont you think one time is enough...??? It was for me...!!! Worst saturday of my life...!!!

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Duckhunter

You're going to have to excuse me but what did Brian Johnson have to do with this article. I went back and read it twice and couldn't see any reference. Stir the pot that's your best gift. Brian Johnson didn't get all over the news ranting and raving about how much he HATED something. That was pure class, just like the post you just made. Brian Johnson had a much better chance at the NFL than you did, he put on a Packer helmet but didn't make it. Again I ask what did this article have to do with Brian Johnson.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:33 a.m.

I have to give this game to Utah. The U will be mad about last week and I simply don't see Nelson being able to do much against the U defense....

Utah 27 BYU 20

• kcougfan Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:24 a.m.

For QWEST PERFECTED
    Why would Max Halls family ever want to go to RES again ???? I went there once and that was once to many...I totally understand Max Hall rant...!!! This is from a fan that used to support Utah when they werent playing the Cougs.

• FromWA Olympia, WA
    Sept. 11, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Never heard the sexual harassment either. Max's rant was a dark moment from him that I may never forgive. Both good teams, and hopefully a good game. I have loved the closeness of the games over the last 20+ years with few exceptions. Motorbikes comment was good natured, I think, so get over it. Lets just hope that BYU takes it to the Utes this weekend.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 10:39 a.m.

There seems to be a lot of hurt cougs out there today.

Don't feel too bad you guys still have Jimmer! Remember when he was awesome? That was cool.

As for bagging on Alex Smith - that appears to be tears of jealousy. I would say he is doing just fine as an NFL QB.

I do find it interesting that now Max Hall was reacting to "sexual harassment" - that story keeps getting better and better. LOL

I hope his family can make it to the game again this year. Too funny.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 9:55 a.m.

Wow, did I touch a sensitive spot? LOL

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 9:26 a.m.

motortrike:
    what years did you play in the nfl? yu didn't? how can that be?

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 9:14 a.m.

@motorbike

playing the victim even today

• utahsnow saint goerge, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 8:38 a.m.

motorbike,
    not everyone gets as many chances to fail as Alex Smith. If you understood the circumstances of Max's words vs. Alex's words you would agree that Max's words were a knee jerk reaction to sexual harassment against his mother at RES, but Alex's words were unprovoked and calculated.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 8:37 a.m.

@motorbike

Unlike brian johnson, Max Hall actually did play in the NFL and started 3 games. Not bad.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 11, 2012 8:00 a.m.

motorbike

For hardly any NFL talent between them, they schooled Utah in their day. I believe Max was 2-1 against the drum and feather.

But get used to it. Mike Leech didn't even have college football experience, but before he's done at Wazzu, I think you will see entirely too much of him.

Not thin skinned. Just sayin'...

• LVCoug NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV
    Sept. 11, 2012 5:45 a.m.

Man, I love that picture.

Tackling: you're doing it wrong.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 11, 2012 5:36 a.m.

Somehow I wish that George and Pitta would have been a year a part. We could've used him at TE in 2010 and I think he would have excelled as the feature TE instead of the back-up.

The work with the TEs seems to be paying dividends this year. I hope the work with the O line will come together this week. We will need a better performance by them going forward.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 12:03 a.m.

If you guys can't handle a Ute fan throwing out some good-natured teasing about Max Hall who went on the most hate-laced tirade in rivalry history, well then perhaps your skin is a tad too thin.
    Not to mention it was Cougar fans that used to throw out the NFL card as often as possible back when they had more NFL players to brag about ... but now it's conveniently something no Cougar fan wants to read or hear. I love it!

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 10, 2012 11:43 p.m.

I wish they'd bring back those royal blue uniforms! They look plain awesome!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 11:03 p.m.

I have to laugh at people who seem to think that if a college athlete doesn't make it into the NFL he is a failure at life. So, yes, neither George nor Max Hall are in the big time, although Max at least got to play a few games, but their are in graduate school and are on the way to a good future. Sorry, Mr. Bike, but your caustic observation doesn't hold water.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 10:58 p.m.

By George! I think this is a great combination...Andrew George and Max Hall.

Go Cougars!

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 10:53 p.m.

@motorbike

"What? These guys aren't playing in the NFL? How can that be?"

Well, not everybody can be part of 'The Conference of Champions." Not even Utah, apparently.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:51 p.m.

The picture tells a great story. It makes Andrew George look like a super hero with Sylvester saying I got him Joe I got him.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:36 p.m.

What? These guys aren't playing in the NFL? How can that be?