Sports

Utah Utes football: Utes to evaluate everything before facing BYU

Comments

• BYUtah Fan Herriman, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 9:23 a.m.

USU played a great game to beat the Utes. And, Utah played terribly. I would not expect that to happen again. Utah has too much talent and coach Witt is too good to see that again. On paper, BYU should win this one easily. But football games are not played on paper and the Utes never go down easy. I expect the normal hard fought BYU-Utah game. Hopefully, it will be the Cougs year after last years debacle. Still, except for this week and last actually, ya gotta love the Utes.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Utah State may actually have a really good football team. BYU seems very quick and athletic: last years utter disaster in Provo means the Cougars have something to prove. Expect a close game because Utah always plays the Y tough but BYU 31-28 Utah.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:17 p.m.

I hope the Utes can make the much needed adjustments before Saturday.

I don't want to take anything away from Utah State because they played a great game and were clearly more pumped up for that game than Utah was.

As coach Whit stated, it doesn't get any easier from here so I hope the offense can figure things out spread the field and move the ball. The O-line needs to protect much better and open up some holes for our backs.

I expect to see an improved Utah team on Saturday. One thing I know they won't do is quit.

Go Utes!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 10, 2012 5:13 p.m.

The news that Wynn will not be back on the football field is good and bad. It's too bad for Wynn who showed some promise as a Freshmen, and I never like bad things to happen to athletes even if they play for the rival.

But it's got to be good for the offense. Clearly Hays played better than Wynn against USU and it was also clear that Wilson is the future of the program. I think both are better options than what Wynn had shown this year. It will be interesting to see which QB option Whit goes with.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Looks like there's a really good chance that BYU will have more PAC 12 wins this year than Utah.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 1:14 p.m.

@toosmartforyou
    "The odds-makers have BYU as a 3-point favorite."

Oh well then I guess we don't need to play the game, do we?

"That would solidify them as Utah's new rivals, since they're through playing USU, BYU, Air Force, TCU, etc."

We are scheduled to play BYU in 2013 and 2016, and USU several more years. I don't think you know what the definition of through is.

"With ASU, USC, UCLA and Arizona currently rolling I don't see Utah in the mix this year for the Southern Division. "

USC will win the division but rolls have to keep going. ASU did great for half a season last year and then they imploded. It's only week two after all. Utah can figure things out and be competitive for the 2nd spot in the division.

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 10, 2012 11:30 a.m.

A few points from a diehard, but realistic Utah fan.

1 - Full credit to the Aggies. I hope they have an incredible season.

2 - This is exactly where the Utes found themselves after about game 4 last year, except the surprise factor should not be there and Hays should be more prepared to step in.

3- I hope everyone was crushed by the loss and is ready to fight to the bitter end of every down, of every game, to make this season a success.

4- Utah fans/players who don't give respect to other teams, including BYU, are fools. I don't like BYU, but I respect what they are capable of on both sides of the ball.

5- I am going to need medication to get through Saturday. Go Utes!!!!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Utahman4ever, I agree, I think Utah State will surprise a lot of people this year, and may end up top 25, and so I have nothing but congratulations for them. But at the same time, Utah's first half was atrocious and they may have lost to anybody playing like that. My advice for USU, however, if they want to have continued success and keep Andersen there: DON'T overachieve and/or finish in the top 25; Andersen will very deservingly accept a big promotion.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:35 a.m.

Should be a BYU win this weekend. BYU has scored more than 20 points the past 12 games and is off to a good start this year. With Wynn hurt yet again the Utes will have trouble on offense; BYU has potential to give up a few plays here and there but they buckle down when needed and are coming off a 2nd half rest for the starters in the Weber State game. What a shame for the rivalry to end with a down Ute team but BYU will certainly take it.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Evaluating everything includes that hairbrain idea of stadium expansion.

• Utahman4ever FORT HUACHUCA, AZ
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:10 a.m.

some observations,
    1) Brian Johnson is young and learning as he goes and it showed friday night. While i think he will be a great coordinator this first year is going to be like watching Ludwig all over again.
    2) Wynn should have never been named the starter, everything I saw comming out of camp was he was not the best (it showed friday in his inability to make a decision with the ball which caused yet agian another injury) they just let him have it. Now the real question becomes do you go with Hays or give it to Wilson because he is the "Future".
    In my opinion you go with Hays and see what you get, if you star losing give it to Wilson
    3) while Utah probably should not have lost, Utah State is a good football team and is going to have a great season, my hat goes off to coach anderson and staff

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Congrats to the Aggies on a well-deserved victory over the Utes!

Good luck to the Cougars this week!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 8:21 a.m.

O-Line play needs the biggest situating and improvement. Filimoeatu did whatever he wanted against them. The second half got a lot better with Brenner replacing Mason at LT and Heimuli coming in at LG, moving Jones to RG. My question from last week: why wasn't Tofaeono dressed out and playing? LOTS of improvement needed for this week, but it's not likely they play a game as flat out ugly as last week was.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 8:21 a.m.

Utes to evaluate everything...emphasis on "everything". I am really looking forward to Saturday night at 8:00.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:54 a.m.

First off, get the QB situation figured out. Wynn is not the QB to lead this team. Second, get the Kicker situation figured out.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:50 a.m.

It is still a rivalry game, to me that means the team that wins is the team that is able to focus all the emotions that come from rivalry games into best execution! Whichever team gets the most frustrated or emotional will likely lose. Too little emotion and the team will play flat, too much emotion and the team will make adrenalin-rush mistakes.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:20 a.m.

@Uteology

If Utah's offense is inept, they won't score 20 points. BYU's offense hasn't really been tested yet, but it's a good bet that they'll score 20 points. If Hayes, who played well last year, but doesn't seem to have the respect he deserves, steps up, it could be a close game. If he doesn't, it could be a long afternoon for the Utes. Any Ute fan who thinks that last year's debacle at LES is going to repeat at RES will be in for a long afternoon. Nelson, Lark and Hill are not Heaps and other BYU players who were embarrassed by that loss probably have long memories. It should be a great game and anybody who has followed this rivalry over the years will know better than to bet the farm.

• 1Infidel APO, AE
    Sept. 10, 2012 12:10 a.m.

@Uteology,

Yep, Washington St and the Air Raid beat, um, Eastern Washington....Washington could not get in the end zone vs LSU, granted they are #3. But there is company for the he Utes who lost to the Aggies, and hmmmm, your rival, Colorado? I guess nobody thought to even look under the Sacramento State score to notice Colorado there. LOL.

With the Pac10.2 teams averaging 30 pts scored per game, and 4 teams getting over 40, the Utes will have to step it up to see much success in conference play. Their not-so-awesome 2nd weekend opponents put up 28 points a game as well, right there with what the Aggies put up.

UCLA, Arizona and Oregon State each had signature wins over ranked teams, and Washington fell to one. The rest, Duke, Syracuse, SUU, E. Wash, Illinois, and Fresno St. are not collectively that much more highly regarded than a tough Weber St.

Can't wait 'til Saturday!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:58 p.m.

@ Uteology

Yes, it stopped this week because unlike last week the mighty PAC 12 won a majority of their games, excepting of course Utah and Colorado.

But give it time and the PAC 12 will lose a bunch again.

With ASU, USC, UCLA and Arizona currently rolling I don't see Utah in the mix this year for the Southern Division. Everyone knew last year with USC's issue that the road to the Inagural PAC 12 Championship Game was greased for Utah; all they had to eventually do was beat Colorado in SLC. And we remember the laugher that game was against the worst road team in America.

So we'll see what happens, but the Utes might miss bowl eligibility this year....a pity, huh? (How's that for being "realistic?")

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:39 p.m.

@toosmartforyou

Afraid? Nope! Realistic? Yes. UCLA and Arizona were considered bottom feeders until they beat ranked teams last week. If Utah comes plays like a high school team, like last week, then absolutely they'll be 1-5.

But like I said I expect them to come out and prove their good. Last week they were anything but.

BTW last week BYU fans were all over Ute boards claiming how weak the PAC-12 was. I see that smack has stopped.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:26 p.m.

@U90

Vegas has BYU the favorite by 3. Utah has an inept offense but our defense will rebound from a bad game. BYU has averaged 13 points on Utah the last two years. Utah's defense is allowed 20 points per game last year (including last week). I think Utah wins 28-20 even if the offense is inept.

Go UTES!!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:25 p.m.

Remember the Ute partisans who bragged that the Utes would start 4 - 0 this year? Gosh, it seems like that was just a couple weeeks ago; now they're afraid they could end up 1 - 5. Even I have to admit that's a real change of fortunes. As I look at the Utes schedule I am hard-pressed to see them qualifying for becoming bowl eligible this year, even if they win on Saturday. The odds-makers have BYU as a 3-point favorite.

Maybe if the Ute coaching staff is going to "eval;uate everything" they ought to start with themselves. The old UNLV 27, Utah 0 score from the past looms on the horizon this season. How'd you like to see the Colorado Buffs win again? That would solidify them as Utah's new rivals, since they're through playing USU, BYU, Air Force, TCU, etc. I can understand why Whittingham doesn't want to face any of those teams on a regular basis.

But they're in the PAC 10.2 now....what could be better??? (Winning is better.)

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:13 p.m.

"Senior quarterback Jon Hays acknowledged the scene in the locker room was "definitely devastated" when it was over."

That's good here, and they should devastated because the way they played was really embarrassing.

I expect this team to come out with something to prove. Specially since Arizona and UCLA have already proven that they'll be PAC-12 South contenders. Utah needs to put a beating on #25 BYU else they can easily go 1-5 to start the season.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:12 p.m.

sammy,

while I disagree with on almost everything (especially your approach/style on these boards) I also disagree with you here... not only does BYU have a chance they will be considered the favorite in this week's game given Utah's inept offense. I hope I'm wrong.... BYU 27 Utah 17... sorry Chris B.

GO UTES!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:02 p.m.

If USU can, BYU has a chance as well!

Lots of 'soul searchin' for the Utes this week. Can they rise above the mental beatdown they just suffered?

I can't wait to see how this train wreck is salvaged.