BYU football: Cougars looking forward to taking on Utes

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 1:24 p.m.

"Lets hear how crappy the PAC 12 is now BYU fans"

We're 2 games into the season, there's a lot more games to be played, then we'll let you know.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 1:13 p.m.

Senior BYU QB's have won 10 of the past 11 games with Utah. That's a huge difference right there. Also, Utah is thin at OL, and they had trouble stopping USU running around outside the tackles (Utah linebackers are fairly new and inexperienced and they're thin and inexperienced at safety with Keith McGill, Brian Blechen and now Eric Rowe out).

BYU starters were good enough to beat USU 27-24 after spotting you an early lead. The one major difference this year when we play the Aggies is that Jake Heaps won't be at QB. We'll have Riley the entire game, last year he pretty much had his way with your defense for the last 1 1/2 quarters (10-13 passing 144 yds 2 TDs, 62 yds rushing. Imagine that level of production extended over an entire game.

And, before you say that your defense is different this year or somehow improved: "I just don't see much of a difference between the starters in this matchup versus the starters last year."

Sept. 11, 2012 10:57 p.m.

@jonnydanger below -

The way you twist comments is exactly why this rivalry needs a break so fans can come back to reality. Your post cites a quote from ESPN and you frame it as a 'lead article'. Let's look at the facts.
    This was an article by Mark Schlabach. He is a fine sports writer but not the PAC 12 beat writer and has lots of opinions on lots of things. This was not a 'lead article' on ESPN other than possibly a lead article for his column. Finally the article was focused on Arkansas losing last week and you have to read through 37 paragraphs about Arkansas, Savannah St, two serious injuries, Georgia, and Clemson before the comments on the PAC 12.

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:35 a.m.

I really don't care about what a conference looks like in September. Do you forget things so fast that you forgot the Pac-12 mid/late season collapse last year? Yes, off to a shining start. We'll see ya in November and see how things look then! Oh, and bottom line... Just beat the 9 Pac-12 opponents and make a decent season out of 2012!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:18 a.m.

My grandfather also thought it was the Huskies coming to town and not the Cougars. So, give fans that thought we were heading to Logan this season a break. It could be nothing more than those fans are simply in the silver hair league. Nothing they can do to reverse the years... So no need to jump up and down on their loyalties. PS - I won the argument with my grandfather because I know what I know when I know it! And as another side note, I was actually surprised to see that USU was coming down to Provo for a second year in a row. So, that is two ways that they have earned some breathing room for a false assumption or careless glancing at the schedule. As for the Ute trolls, you are hilarious as always. I really hope for redemption come Saturday night!

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 9:37 a.m.

Cinci Man

We don't want 4 RBs! Look how bad that worked out last year! Alisa is the guy. And if im not mistaken Friel, Apo, Hoffman, Falslev, and now Ridley have all made pretty good contributions in just the first two games. Matthews had a made a couple catches i believe as well. The offensive line is a concern but I'm not nearly as scared as you are it seems.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 11, 2012 9:26 a.m.

I am significantly worried about BYU's offensive production. I do not believe that it is wise to have the main offensive play be that of a quarterback draw. And the offensive line is really struggling to create dominance - even against Weber State. This could get ugly if they don't step it up. And where is Riley's establishing a passing game to MANY receivers? And where is the running game to 4 RB's? Where is the variety of plays? Please get ready Cougars! This is an important year.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 11, 2012 1:42 a.m.

White will see Blue!

BYU 27
    Utah 13

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 11:11 p.m.

You said, "Religion in private, football on the field."
    Sorry but I disagree with your statement. Here is my rebuttal. This is Jeffrey R. Holland from last Sunday's YSA fireside. "You NEVER check your religion at the door." good for Bronco for being in the right place at the right time! He can watch the film later.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:41 p.m.

Can you spell D-V-R? I think that he will be plenty prepared for the game, thanks.

• Dee4BYU Edmond, OK
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:14 p.m.

Boy, the game of the season for both utah and BYU is next Saturday evening. I sure hope someone cleared Coach Mendenhall's calendar - it would be a shame if he has a scheduled fireside to attend and we don't see him on the sidelines. That he missed watching the utah/utah state football game (two future opponents THIS season) is unbelievable to me. I'm sure others are watching for him and giving him a very detailed report of all he needs to know, but still, is he a fan or what? How does he relate to the players? I'm sure everyone of them thought watching that game was very important. I love BYU's values - one additional one be to honor and cherish mothers. Very important and their are many more. But the subject before us is football. Religion in private, football on the field. Go Cougs.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 10, 2012 8:52 p.m.

"I just don't see much of a difference between the starters in this matchup versus the starters last year"

Then you obviously haven't been paying any attention to Utah's offensive line - the Utes had a HUGE drop off in talent on the O-line that they're still struggling to address.

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 10, 2012 6:43 p.m.

So glad to see our two (unless they're as I suspect, one and the same)favworite trolls addressing me personally when I merely gave a thumbs up to another poster who pretty much has you guys dialed in. Gave me a little bounce to my day knowing I was in your head though.

Not sure what alternative dimension you pulled the "bitterness" angle out of troll but then again, you're probably packing for Tulsa as we speak so no point in even getting into a conversation with you.

If cougars win, I've give the Y team the same congrats I gave the Aggies, no excuses. Can you both say the same?

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Sept. 10, 2012 5:43 p.m.

One huge difference: Riley Nelson over Jake Heaps.

Having said that, I'm not going to predict an outcome either. I absolutely want BYU to win, but it always seems like the Cougars come out flat against Utah. Meanwhile, Utah comes out fired up and ready to go from the start. If BYU can keep it close through a quarter or two, they'll have a chance to win at the end. But the key is going to be avoiding turnovers. That's why the blowout happened last season: too many turnovers. Pure and simple.

Also, I am still worried about the offense. So far the slimmed-down line doesn't impress me. They are still getting pushed around way too much, especially early in games. That has to change if they want any chance of winning any of the next three games.

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 4:10 p.m.

Not a Ute, but I think the Y fans are counting their chickens long before they hatch a little here.

I just don't see much of a difference between the starters in this matchup versus the starters last year. I can accept (and am even glad) that the Y has apparently improved over last year to a certain degree, but we are largely talking about the same players and the same coaches that brought you last year's 40+ point blowout spread.

The truth is that Utah losing to certainly the best team in this state last week is not necessarily the humiliating defeat that the Y would like to think it is. The Aggies will be the WAC champion this year, make no mistake. Next year, they will be one of the more competitive teams in the MWC. If there was one team in this state who could find its way through the Ute D, it was the Aggie offense.

I am going to go out on a limb and state for the record that BYU's offense is a far cry from U State's. My prediction, Utes by a minimum of 10 (maybe more).

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 4:00 p.m.

I don't see much changing in this matchup in a single year. Utah losing to hands down the best team in the state (kudos to you Aggies because you know you are) does not mean an automatic win for BYU in this matchup.

It will be a closer game than last year, but I predict Utah by at least 10.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 10, 2012 3:55 p.m.

I have a 2-part question. Who broke into the top 25 this week, and who lost to a team they said they would thump?

Nuff said.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2012 2:23 p.m.

"A win would be nice, but Utah has bigger fish to fry."

Who are you kidding? A win, just like last year, would be Utah's ONLY highlight of the year.

btw, you're already bottom-dwellers...

in the WAC!

• ogmson Mapleton, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2012 2:09 p.m.

If the Utes lose Saturday, It's because:

1. The PAC (insert your own number here) Officials were mad at Utah for embarrassing the conference by getting beat so ugly by USU.

2. Coach Whit made the team do too many wind sprints this week following the debacle at USU.

3. The 30,000 fans that come to the games on sunny days, were still angry about the debacle at USU and decided to forgo the game in favor of checkers at Pioneer Park.

4. The 103 Ute players were all still suffering from altitude sickness after their two long days in Logan.

5. The 103 Ute players were still in a fog.

6. The players all blamed Coach Whit for being a BYU grad and throwing the game.

7. Navalvet, socalute and a few others couldn't post any words of encouragement to the team because their world collapsed on Friday night.

If the Mighty BYU Cougars win Saturday at RES:

1. They were the better team and didn't give the ball away 7 times.

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 10, 2012 1:49 p.m.

The problem with this game is even if Utah wins, so what? They will still have to face at least 3 other ranked opponents in the PAC (Lets hear how crappy the PAC 12 is now BYU fans)

A win would be nice, but Utah has bigger fish to fry.

But make no mistake, if Utah wins it will not count. The #1 reason being that they are still "bottom dwellers in the PAC 12.

I would like to see fans on both sides take a loss like a man for once. Go Utes!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 10, 2012 1:32 p.m.

To the Ute fans:
    This game will be close and nasty as they all are. 54-10 won't happen again for a long time. If BYU wins, I'll be happy for a couple of hours, but Boise on the smurf turf will only be few days away. Utah will need to refocus on their schedule which looks a lot tougher now with 5 PAC12 teams ranked. But maybe they'll get their first ever win against my Dawgs, who looked pathetic against LSU.

To the BYU fans:
    This is the first of 4 really tough road games. And lets not forget Oregon State who just beat Wisconsin. One game at a time. I'd prefer to see some restraint in the smak talk for a change, but probably won't happen, whoever wins. But for me, Utah is just another game, one BYU needs to win. I'll take a 1-point win and be glad for it.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Big difference this year is no Heaps in the lineup

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 10, 2012 12:41 p.m.

I think Utah is better off with Hays than Wynn after watching Friday's game. BYU always seems to find a way to make the game close when we should win and to lose when it should be close-so if we can stay focused and play our game I will be happy.

In general I cheer for Utah whenever they are not playing BYU, but after the cockiness of some of the Utah posters on these boards I figured I should share this quote from the lead article on ESPN:

"At what point does Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott start having buyer's remorse about his league's two new members? If only conference expansion offered a two-year, money-back guarantee."

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Hays looked coming in at Logan. Still it is hard to believe this game will be as easy for Utah as last year. BYU seems to have problems with the offensive line producing for them. I guess I need to go in at left tackle or somewhere.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 10, 2012 11:48 a.m.

BYU. This will be Game 3. Good enough so far to win. Still waiting for the record after 4 games. That will tell SO much about this team. But from my point of view, BYU was not good enough against Weber State to beat the worst of Utah teams in Utah. You better concentrate on every down, every player on the field. This weekend will clearly show why we play the game. Good luck to both teams. I also hope that both teams leave it all on the field.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 11:15 a.m.

Good luck to both teams. I hope that they both play their best and that we have an exciting game. I can't wait to watch it! I know that the Utes will be fighting hard after a tough loss last week and BYU is going to be out for blood after last years loss, so it should really be a good one. As for the fans, I know you guys think you know who's going to win, but until it actually happens and we have a winner, maybe you should keep your pre-game celebrations to yourself to avoid being embarrassed.

GO COUGS!!!!

• BYU Deek Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Biff, I didn't say anything about not overlooking the Utes. I also thanked you for playing. . . meaning, thanks for being part of the team. Questioning your loyalties is completely different. I questions Whittingham's loyalties all the time, he's a former player. Being a former player doesn't mean squat. I used to work for a former Y qb, and he wasn't necessarily an honest person. He also bleeds blue, yet. . . never made me question my own loyalties. So, again. . . Thanks for playing.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Coach Biff, I do not know what year schedule you are looking at, but USU plays at BYU again this year. Coach Anderson said he is not happy about coming here twice in a row. Please look at a 2012 schedule, not a 2013 or later schedule.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Umm, BYU Deek, I'm a former Coug player and I bleed blue. You are correct in that I was mistaken about playing in Logan. That said, I really don't think we need to be barking about beating Utah until we actually do win in Rice Stadium. If you don't understand why, then there is no point in me telling you.

• BYU Deek Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Coach Biff,

We actually don't have to go to Logan. . . Utah State is coming to Provo, but thanks for playing. I hereby question your loyalties.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:10 a.m.

Congratulations sooner ute for recognizing reality.

Jeff, it seems like BYU embarrassed themselves last year more so than being embarrassed by Utah.

If BYU can't run the ball against Weber State then they sure won't against Utah. The outcome of this game might be determined by which offense outperforms the other; BYU passing or Utah running. If it's a toss-up the deciding factor will surely be those goons dressed in stripped shirts, and we all know who signs their paychecks.

Good year to be an Aggie fan. They are not pretenders.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:00 a.m.

Rivalry games are hard to predict. After the way the BYU/Utah game finished in 2010, and the returning players on both sides; I would have predicted a BYU blowout, not a Utah blowout and a BYU blow-up in 2011.

After seeing the Utes struggle on offense against USU, it would be easy to predict a Cougar win, but again one never knows.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's another game that goes down to the last series or even the last play. BYUs biggest question mark has to be the running game. Utahs biggest question has to be the QB. Although Hays seems to be playing better than Wynn.

Go Cougs! 28-24.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 9:00 a.m.

Coug fans, we really shouldn't be crowing about the Utes loss in Logan. I'm afraid they might have kicked a sleeping dog who will rise up and bite. Please don't talk any smack until we actually win. We have to go to Logan, also. Remember that.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 8:00 a.m.

LOL at soonerute's and proud ute's pre game bitterness. You ought to at least wait until the game is played and we know the outcome before you get bitter about it. It does reveal where your minds are at going in however. Thanks for revealing that.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:53 a.m.

Proud Ute

I am so shocked. I announced on Saturday that the PAC 12 Net got a DishNetwork satellite deal, mentioned that I would not be taunting and tormenting you Utesies about it and here you are waking up, uncurling from your fetal position and the first thing you do is invoke my name in talkin' personal smack.

Not what I expected.

You need to start your week with a bowl of sunshine and Wheaties my friend.

Ignoring your Utes after the Logan blowup didn't change a thing for you Monday morning. They still lost and Saturday's now your only bowl game.

I know it looks dismal for the Utes now that the Southern division has come to life and the Utes lost theirs in Logan but you need to get back on your horse.

No excuses like...

Rookie OC...
    PAC 12 refs...

Your Utes need some love and attention. Give them a hug from me, will ya'?

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:45 a.m.

@ Sooner Ute

Just so we are clear on the rules before the game:

If Utah wins, it was the game of the century and settles once and for all who is the better team, school, conference, schedule, etc.

If BYU wins
    - it's okay, because we are now in the PAC12
    - BYU plays WAC teams (better scratch that one)
    - Utah once won two BCS bowls
    - BYU recruited Riley Nelson when he was on his mission
    - BYU's national championship was irrelevent, too long ago, not a "consensus."
    - it was those PAC 12 referees (see Utah comments from last week's game refereed by PAC12 refs)
    - it was Hayes' fault, Wynn's fault, Johnson's fault, the weather, the time of day, ESPN announcers, BYU's players' ages
    - Utah gave it away, BYU didn't win it

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:37 a.m.

Actually BYU got rid of Utahs secret weapon last year...Jake Heaps. The Cougars are going to be just fine on Saturday.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:27 a.m.

@SoonerUte and Proud Ute

You forgot one and I have said it more than once the better team won last year but this is a new year looking for a great game. Go Cougars

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:26 a.m.

I don't get into all this hating and ridiculousness that happens this week, but will say this. If BYU wins this game, all these people calling BYU "wacky" and "wacish" will have to face the fact that Utah will have been beaten by two "wacky" teams. Using their same logic of being WAC champs last year, going 2-0 vs the PAC, and a likely third win, would make BYU PAC champions. BYU would be PAC champions way before Utah even won their divsion. They'd also be WAC champions assuming the likely event they will all those games. PAC and WAC champions, sounds pretty good. Hey, it's not my logic, but haters logic. Take care of business this week and this is very much going to be the case this season. This is a classic case of when trash talking comes back to bite you hard.

When both teams are good, how often does either team win 3 in a row? Rarely. All the advantage goes to BYU in this game, and I think it's pretty clear what those advantages are this year.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 7:18 a.m.

I'm happy I will sitting in front of a television set and not at RE stadium to hear heated retoric on both sides especially the Utah hate/vile language/obsene tshirts. Much too intense!! I, for one, am happy NOT to go through the emotions of this matchup for a while, if ever again!

Go Cougars--go BYU!

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 10, 2012 5:54 a.m.

Thank you, you just summarized 100 cougar posts into one. Add a half dozen from comcast sammy and his Direct TV rant and you've got everything they've had to say for the past year rolled into one.

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 12:26 a.m.

Toosmartforyou, I would say that BYU dominated that game a couple of years ago in SLC, and your right the block field goal may have been a blown assignment, but the fact is Utah made a good play too block the kick. Where we lost the game is when Anae went for it in the Blue zone on 4th down, instead of kicking a chip shot field goal. BYU should have been kneeling on the ball instead of kicking, that game right there pretty much got Anae fired!

And SoonerUte, actually for some of our fan's I'm sure it is like that, just like some of your fans actually think your team was that much better than us because of the final score. You don't take into account that if the the Utes had 7 turnovers the score would have been opposite. So it goes both ways now doesn't it. BYU should have easily won in SLC 2 years ago, but Utah should have won the year we made a 4th and 18. So what do you expect there's many fans on both sides that haven't got a clue!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:48 p.m.

Just so we are clear on the rules before the game:

If BYU wins, it "counts".

If Utah wins,
    - on field results don't count
    - it was those PAC 12 refs
    - it was "the perfect storm"
    - BYU gave it away, the Utes didn't take it

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:41 p.m.

A lot of fans are looking forward to it also.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:38 p.m.

@ eastcoastcoug

Don't know where you're coming from but the Cougars won in OT in Provo in 2009. And there's the classic Beck-to-Harline deal at the U.

Just because a game is close doesn't mean the game was played by uninspired players that didn't give it any effort.

BYU would have won last time in SLC if one missed assignment on the line hadn't occured and resulted in a blocked field goal and that was a year when the Utes were heavily favored.

I remember the "doink" when Utah clanked the potential winning field goal off the right up-right as time expired and lost by two rather than winning by one, again in SLC.

So I think the teams are fairly well matched most years and last years blowout was an anomoly---with 7 turnovers Provo High could have won the game.

I think this year will be close once again, but BYU is in a better position than the Utes. But we'll see...that's why they play the games!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:15 p.m.

I Bleed Blue

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Nothing would please me more than seeing the Cougars get sweet revenge this weekend and set the stage for the Aggie match. Can't get too ahead of ourselves though.

Utes are hurting, they have a lot to figure out this week. Whit has his work cut out for him this week, a bunch of damaged goods to sort through and motivate. It might easier said than done to rehabilitate this bunch after such a stinging loss.

The reality of conference play has to be looming in their heads as well. Wynn is gone and a bunch of South Division teams have done well in the preseason. Competition is stiff now and the Utes will start with one or two losses. More mind games!

• Chase Saint George, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 11:05 p.m.

BYU looking forward to playing the Pac 10's annex team . . .

Only Utah fans care that the utes beat BYU teams that were "down" the last 2 years. Ute fans will point to the number of wins BYU had last year to make the win look better.

BYU fans will remind those ute fans that BYU only beat one team with a winning record last year - Utah State. Utah state was 7-6. Last year was not a good BYU team.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 9, 2012 10:34 p.m.

This comes down to who wants it more. Utah will be without their starting QB. But Mendenhall has got to get the team up for this game. Something he hasn't done in several years now. I would love to see the Y return the favor from last year.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 9, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Get a win in salt Lake and it could be the start of something special. Wouldn't it be great if Utah State and BYU were both undefeated when they meet in Provo?