U.S. & World

Secret Service probing theft of Romney tax records

Comments

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:26 p.m.

@lost in DC

So you are really going to do everything in your power not to answer tolstoy's question aren't you?

You can play games all you want be we can all read the thread. you do realize how you come off in it right?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Tolstoy
    Thank you for the direct answer.

let’s look at your previous comments and see if ANYWHERE in them you actually condemned it.

10:59
    “LDS Lib is not all liberals and not all liberals support this type of criminal behavior. LDS Lib is not all liberals and not all liberals support this type of criminal behavior.” A general statement about LDS Lib and libs in general does not say how YOU specifically felt about it.

1:09 – no mention

4:31 – something about being off topic but still no definite condemnation. It was a valid comparison

Then at 12:39 you finally made yourself clear. Thank you.

Did you mean “NOW back…” when you said “KNOW back…”?

The actual subject is criminal activity for political gain, and it should be condemned regardless of the perp or the victim.

Fred44,
    I use a watered down version of LDS Lib’s comments and you call it hate? What are you then saying about LDS Lib? And please tell me which repubs applauded the occupy anarchists and preach success-envy or paint success as bad like BO and Pelosi?

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 12:39 p.m.

@lost in dc
    what part of I do not support any type of criminal behavior are you not understanding? let me s p e l l it o u t for you S l o w l y. I did not support nor do I support his criminal behaviors.

Know back to the actual subject of this thread and more specifically rifleman's leap in logic. Do you care to actually try to explain how his leap in logic makes any sense or should we expect more of the same misdirection as your previous post?

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2012 11:34 a.m.

Lost in DC,

And its the dems and liberals that spew hate and class warfare?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 10:51 a.m.

Tolstoy,
    your lack of condemnation of McDermott's criminal behavior indicates support for it. but I'll give you another chance to answer, rather than dodge the question. Did you support prosecuting Jim McDermott for the illegal disclosure of Newt Gingrich's cell calls?

LDS Lib,
    nice try - "Get it done. ... I want the Brookings safe cleaned out."

Brookings is NOT the DNC. not excusing him for ordering the break-in of Brookings, but it's not the DNC headquarters. and yes, he was invloved in the cover-up, and I am not excusing him there.

did you "mispeak" or was it just your liberal revisionist history from MSNBC high-school drop outs giving you the misinformation?

See, you said Watergate in your orignal post, NOT Brookings. History and facts show your'e wrong. thanks for playing, though.

Jeromeo,
    I think the SS is involved because Mitt's the repub nominee - though I could be mistaken

• utah cornhusker NORFOLK, NE
    Sept. 7, 2012 10:24 a.m.

It would be awful to have your taxes stolen. I hope this is not the case. If Obama has his college records sealed and a lot of other stuff why should romney have to released more than required? He states his reason is because of his tithing donations. I'm just stating that if ppl want mitts tax returns the president should release what be has sealed.

• Jeromeo Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 7:08 a.m.

Shouldn't the Treasury Department be investigating this?

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 8:23 p.m.

I don't know whether anybody has stolen Romney's tax records or not, but I think it's wonderful that his taxes are still front and center and this article is receiving so much attention. Just think, had Romney released his returns a few months ago, we probably wouldn't be talking about them now. But he didn't, and we are.
    Scores of years hence, when great political faux pas (that swung important elections) are being debated, Romney's refusal to release his taxes will be right up there (with McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as a running mate) and people will still be scratching their heads in amazement.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 8:06 p.m.

@rifleman and lost in DC

Have you ever heard the saying you cant there from here?

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    Sept. 6, 2012 6:54 p.m.

@ Y ask Y,
    So If Mitt releases his tax records you all those demanding them will suddenly change your mind and vote for him? Yeah and Bill clinton never was caught lying too!

• merich39 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 5:38 p.m.

Although I don't support the theft of Mitt's tax returns, if that does proves to be the case, I still can't help but feel anticipation at what money laundering details might be brought to light if they do get released. Being someone who doesn't look for fraudulent ways to avoid paying taxes, I can only imagine the amount of stress Mitt must be feeling right now.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 5:35 p.m.

@Rifleman
    [Re: RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    "Romney should release his taxes; they shouldn't be stolen and released."

You're really going to take sides with an extortionist? ]

How exactly do you interpret "they shouldn't be stolen and released" as "take sides with an extortionist"?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 4:36 p.m.

lost in DC
    West Jordan, UT

LDS Lib,
    nope, nixon did NOT order the break-in.

============

"I want a breakin", ordered Nixon on June 30, 1971, according to transcribed WH tapes
    "Get it done. ... I want the Brookings safe cleaned out. And have it cleaned out in a way that makes somebody else look bad."

I don't know.
    That looks like an order - even calling it a "breakin".

History and the facts back me up,
    and your Conservative re-visionist history from AM radio college drop-outs has given you mis-information.

In Republicanese you call it a - "Mis-spoken" - the rest of it call it a lie.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 4:31 p.m.

@lost in DC

Reach way back to try to pull off topic much? where did you get any indication I support any type of criminal behaviors? it is amazing the mental acrobatics that some people use on these threads.

Maybe you would care to take a crack at explain the huge leap in logic from rifleman?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:54 p.m.

Tolstoy,
    Did you support prosecuting Jim McDermott (D) Seattle for the illegal disclosure of Newt Gingrich's cell phone calls in the late 90s? McDermott got away scott-free.

Screwdriver,
    Scooter Libby was convicted of making a misstatement, like the DOJ when congress when investigating Fast and Furious. At least bush didn't hide Scooter behind executive priviledge. and tell me, how many border partol agents and Mexican civilians died as a result of Scooter Libby?

and then there was the BO WH release of information related to intelligence operations in the middle east that have resulted in dead US operatives. no prosecution from the DOJ pover that. And how about the Pakistani doctor rotting in prison because he helped us get bin laden and BO does NOTHING!!!!

LDS Lib,
    nope, nixon did NOT order the break-in.

RanchHand,
    what kind of fiction are you cooking up now - "voting away the rights of people they don't like"?

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:42 p.m.

@jsf

Pot (conservatives) meet kettle (liberals). I don't think either parties extremes have a corner on the crazy market.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:19 p.m.

like a true liberal, we don't need any truth. It was never proved or disproved if nixon new of or ordered the watergate break in. The criminal act was the after the fact cover up of a criminal act. Can you say fast and furious? Failure to prosecute Black Panther voter intimidation. WH ordered failure to arrest and prosecute crimes by participants in ows.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 6, 2012 2:28 p.m.

The only evidence the extortionist provided that they have the documents was an "encrypted flash drive?" Sorry, I don't buy it.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2012 1:35 p.m.

Republicans would pardon the guy like Bush did Scooter Libby.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 1:09 p.m.

@rifleman
    I would like to know the train of thought that took you from LDS liberals comments, "Romney should release his taxes; they shouldn't be stolen and released." to your comment "You're really going to take sides with an extortionist? " I have seen some leaps on logic on these threads over the years but that was one for the books.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Whoever did this (democrat or republican) has committed theft and attempted extorsion. They should be prosecuted. I believe they will be. These kinds of things usually catch up to the offender. It shouldn't matter whether the victim is a candidate for president or not. Nor whether he's rich, nor well-known, nor popular, nor of a particular party.

Theft is theft and attempted extortion is attempted extortion. The person who called the Secret Service was absolutelly correct to do so in a timely manner. Mitt should not fold and pay the money. He should not allow himself to be blackmailed. Just my opinion.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2012 11:54 a.m.

Re: RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    "Romney should release his taxes; they shouldn't be stolen and released."

You're really going to take sides with an extortionist?

When it comes to rights you have the same exact, identical, specific rights as everybody else. If it is a different set of same rights you seek then yes, the Democrats are probably a better fit.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 11:44 a.m.

Rifleman
    I just love how the liberals discard an individual's rights .... as long as they are Republicans of course.

How about apprehending the thief and charging him with extortion?

==========

I never said anything about discarding a person's rights.

1. When I got my DoD Top Secret clearnce - I needed to disclose 10 years of my taxes.
    America shouldn't allow any foreigner conflicts of interest or my being compromised.

I figure someone running for the highest office the world should be willing to disclose more than little old nobody me.

2. As Screwdriver at 10:36 pointed out - if this was a Democrat, they'd leak it for political gain. Whoever did this is just out for the $$$.

3. Funny to mention Watergate, as I do recall that was the Republican President himself ordering the burglary of the Democratic Headquaters. No one was promised a cash reward of $1 million for doing it and then sending the info to various Democratic leaders in exchange for hush money.

4. My guess it's a disenchanted Republican who already worked at PricewaterhouseCoopers and saw a GOLDEN oppotunity he/she just couldn't pass up.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Good thing the doj isn't in charge of this investigation.

I would tell the person go ahead. What is it going to show? That Mitt is rich. We already know that. That he legally uses tax breaks that everyone else has access to. We already know that. That he has donated a part of his wealth to his church and charities. We already know that.

Then track down this person, send him/her to guantanamo and never see them again.

I would be more interested in the Fast and Furious documents and baracks college transcripts and papers.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 11:07 a.m.

Rifleman has a lot of nerve to even mention "discard an individual's rights". His own people have been doing it for nearly a decade now when voting away the rights of American citizens they don't like.

If this story is true, I expect that the perp will be apprehended and prosecuted; which is as it should be.

Romney should release his taxes; they shouldn't be stolen and released.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 10:59 a.m.

@rifleman

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2012 10:36 a.m.

The SS is allready investigating it MM.

A democrat would have just leaked it so I'd say it's someone who just want's money.

Calling it a "watergate" style burglary is rediculous since there is no evidence it was don't for political gain.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Rifleman,

Who is a liberal?

Not me.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Solutions not Stones
    Spanish Fork, UT
    LDS Liberal,

9:18 p.m. Sept. 5, 2012

=============

George Romney (you know, Mitt's own Father) was the politician running for POTUS in 1968 who started this whole tradition of releasing tax forms to show ALL Americans that he could be trusted.

By his own example -- his son - Willard - is showing Americans he can NOT be trusted.

I am only asking Willard to show some Integrity and be at LEAST as good as his Father - if not better.

One year - 2010, and only one more 2011 with less than 3 weeks to the election is pitiful to same the least.

Mitt has something to hide.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2012 10:03 a.m.

How about apprehending the thief and charging him with extortion?

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 9:24 a.m.

They have nothing to ransom if Mitt releases his taxes, But I suspect The GOP will pay the million to keep them secret.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 9:17 a.m.

This is a false flag. The Romney campaign wants some attention during the Democratic Convention, so they trump up this story. The accounting firm, Pricewaterhouse, says there is no evidence that the records were stolen. Really shameful that the DNews would play along to such terrible "journalism".

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 9:13 a.m.

C'mon, Mitt! Just follow your Daddy's example and release your tax documents, then nobody will have to steal them!

• Solutions not Stones Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:18 p.m.

LDS Liberal,

I am sure that you are fair minded enough to support an individual illegally releasing (if they have not been destroyed) records pertaining to President Obama's past, no matter how embarrassing they may be. I mean, you emphatically support this action when it is taken against Mitt Romney...are you consistent? People in glass houses should not throw stones.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Either a hoax,
    or a Dream come true...

Matthew 10:26 "So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.
    ----------
    Luke 8:17 For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.
    ---------
    Luke 12:2 There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.