U.S. & World

Michelle Obama's message: The president is just like you

Comments

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Sept. 9, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Obama is far more 'like us' than Romney ... except for the Mormons that is. Even for the Mormons ... most weren't born into an ultra-rich and political family.

• Rob Logan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 11:18 p.m.

I'm not angry with President Obama winning in 2008. It scared me. I saw who and what he was clear back then and I have not been wrong in my opinion of him. He still does not know what he is doing. Oh the Press was saying let him learn on the job. Well look where it got us. Now we are $16,000,000,000,000 in debt. That is so many zeros I may have not gotten that right. It scares me even more thinking he might win. I am a Proud American who puts their hand over their heart. I love my Country but I also love my children and Grand children who will be saddled with this debt. I know the only hope of recovery is with Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. I want to add to Distant Thunder's comment. Being qualified matters. Doctors, nurses, computer programmers, and the list goes on. I am so tired of all these vacations they took and will take and I don't have money to just go on a car ride.

• terrys pasa, CA
    Sept. 6, 2012 6:53 a.m.

MormonDem says, "Bin Laden is dead, GM is alive, and kids with cancer can't be denied health insurance for preexisting conditions."

Bin Laden may be murdered, but GM is certainly DEAD, or on major life support, (GM debt has NOT been paid back) and kids with cancer are no better off than before. When Obamacare bankrupts the whole country and you don't have any insurance either, tell me how that is working out for you. But by the time you find that out, it will be too late.

And considering the Democratic platform, how can anyone call themselves a Mormon Democrat. The demos removed God from their platform, and them reinserted Him after finding it was unpopular. I believe God is still out of their platform.

• stiadotf West Point / Davis, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:30 p.m.

Mrs. Obama, speak for yourself. Your husband is nothing like me nor am I anything like him...

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 5:18 p.m.

re:Hutterite

spoken like a true socialist. Wow - you really believe borrowing from China is the answer huh? I would be willing to bet you $1000 that 2 years after Mitt takes office unemployment is below 6% and gas prices are back under $2 again. Want to bet???

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Michelle's message .... the government is the answer to everything. Big surprise.. ho hum....

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 3:48 p.m.

I simply cannot agree on an academic level with Obama's economic decisions. Government spending is just a bad idea most of the time. I suppose he wasn't the only one that signed those bills in. I would suggest ridding our legislature of those people as well. I think Mrs. Obama that on all important issues/details I am different from your husband. Now allow me to suggest, Mrs. Obama, that your husband is probably a lot closer to Mitt Romney than you admit. I just think the gap between his salary and mine, other than in the actual number itself, is a lot closer to Mitt's than mine (both of them probably have everything they could ever want).

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 2:55 p.m.

If the key ingredient for Presidential success is "someone just like you," then let's put an average Joe, with an average IQ and a big heart in the White House. "Caring" isn't enough. "Understanding Americans" isn't enough. We need someone who understands how to fix the problems, and the man in office doesn't.

By the way, I can't help wondering how much Mrs. Obama, she of the "just like you" husband, spent on her dress. More than the "average" American woman?

"Both are millionaires who live a privileged life few Americans will ever experience."

I'd rather vote for someone who got rich and now wants to serve America, than someone who somehow got rich through public service.

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    Sept. 5, 2012 2:32 p.m.

Just like me? That means I get to travel all over the world on expensive vacations with other peoples money? I get to not show up for work and go play as many rounds of golf as I want? My wife is wearing a 10000 dress paid for by someone else? And I dont have any experience running a country eihter. So yeah I guess just like me!!

Oh except the fact that I have actually had a job in the private sector, and some experience managing people.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:46 p.m.

@Happy Valley Heretic

Mirror time

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:04 p.m.

He's not like me!!! I want America to succeed, I don't want America to become a 2nd rate nation. I want the debt reduced, not increased. Taxes are high enough for everyone (well, I could easily argue that everyone should pay something thus half of America would have to pitch in a little) and the government spends too much. Obama is nothing like me, I love America.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 11:28 a.m.

He's not like all the hate filled rhetoric from right wing radio amplified by ignorance posted here, He loves America.

I remember all the whining on talk radio when anything bad was said about Bush they were unpatriotic, or Anti-American
    Haters, guess it's your turn to be Anti-American and unpatriotic.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:49 a.m.

@one old man

Your assumption that dissent equals "misinformation, hate and downright lies" mirrors exactly why Obama is not like me or many others

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:20 a.m.

"The misinformation, hate and downright lies on exhibit in many posts here is simply frightening."

Yes can you believe there are actually people who still support Obama?

I am being sarcastic to illustrate how insulting the belief by the far left is that dissent = hate

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:16 a.m.

The one "success" Obama claims is passing Obamacare. But it has already cost thousands of jobs. Most medical device companies (Stryker, St. Jude, etc.) are laying off thousands to offset the Medical Device Excise Tax (2.3%) due to be phased in on January 1, 2013.
    This is just ONE of the job killing taxes included in the bill. READ, people.

This is not hate speech. His policies are bad for America. Time to remove him before he does more harm to my and my children's present and future.

He is definitely not like me. If I had said I would step down if I did not turn the economy around in 3 years, I would step down. Well, Mr. O?

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Misinformation about the Obama's?-?

Good grief.

We know for a fact that Barack and Michelle attended elite schools.

We know that for a fact.

We know for a fact that Barack and Michelle had guaranteed jobs upon graduation from elite Harvard.

We know that for a fact.

We know for a fact that the Obama's purchased an elite home in corrupt Chicago soon after graduation.

We know that for a fact.

We know that the Obama's were financially well-off after graduating from Harvard, with their professions as attorney's.

We know that for a fact.

*Most* Americans do not enter the 1% after graduating from college. The Obama's did. And the Romney's did.

Multi-millionaire Romney gave a lot of time and effort to charity.

Multi-millionaire Obama did not give as much time and effort to charity as Romney.

If you vote according to who has a *presonal* investment in the poor... Yor vote willbe for Romney.

And as for Michelle saying that she and her husband "struggled" upon graduation from elite Harvard... That is a joke.

They were certainly not as rich *then* as they are *now*... But they were not *poor.*

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:14 a.m.

One old man (and I believe it) - Why is it when someone disagrees with Obama's record it immediately becomes "spewing of conservative propagandists"? Is it "spewing" to point out the trillions Obama and his colleagues have added to the deficit? Is it "spewing" to point out that the US has become a welfare state under Obama? Is it "spewing" to point out Obama's pro abortion agenda? How about his record on drilling permits? If anyone is "spewing" it is you. All you have is inflammatory words. Show us what Obama has done well or plans to do - otherwise it is you that is "spewing propaganda".

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:08 a.m.

Michelle is lying.

The Obama's are *not* just like me...

I don't wear very-expensive clothes, or go on very-expensive vacations.

Struggle? Naw. Michelle is lying.

She and Obama went to elite schools. Struggle? Naw. Michelle is lying.

She and Obama graduated from Harvard to guaranteed jobs on graduation. Struggle? Naw. Michelle is lying.

She and Obama graduated from Harvard and entered jobs that by all classifications put them among the highest-earners in America. Certainly high-class jobs. They were (financially) well-off by any standards.

After graduating from an elite school, and entering high-paid jobs, Michelle and Barack purchased an expensive home. Good for them. Struggle? Naw. Michelle is lying.

The truth... Michelle and Barack are multi-millionaires.

They went to elite schools. They entered an elite profession. They made good money.

But compared to the Romneys, they have given little to charity. Compared to Romney... They gave little...

The truth... The myth that the multi-millionaire Obama's struggled in their guaranteed jobs upon graduation from elite schools is just that..

The difference...

Romney used his own money for charity...

Obama wants to use *your* money and call it charity.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:25 a.m.

"President is just like us" I wish. That would mean I'd be playing country club golf courses all over the place while being escorted in my own private jet. Mormon Dem, or any other like minded person, without mentioning George Bush (I dare you), please enlighten us on what Pres. Obama has done or plans to do to fix the following: Be specific.
    1- 9.5% unemployment (overall no change since Obama took office other than it was higher than that for most of his 1st term)
    2- HUGE decline in U.S. drilling permits that has greatly affected US energy policy & fuel prices
    3 - Deficit - Increased by 6 million under Obama (forget what he started with - let's address what he's added)
    4 - 16 million more Americans on food stamps under Obama
    5 - Proposed increases in tax rates for: Income tax, payroll, estate tax, and capital gains

(And his first two years in office had a clear majority of Democrats in the House & Senate)

Yes, possibly he does feel our pain but if past history is any indicator, he obviously doesn't have the intellectual or philosophical wherewithal to do anything about it.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:20 a.m.

The censors are being very sensitive today. Hopefully this one will pass the mustard.

I will never be like Obama. I actually value life. He's voted at least 3 times to allow infanticide. Sorry, but God's children mean to much to me to become like Obama.

@melanie_me: the Dems removed all references to God from their national platform. That's what made all their references to God at the end of their speeches hypocritical to me.

@mormondem: Let me suggest you read the address by King Benjamin and the following 10 chapters or so and see how an oppressive, taxing government brings the citizens into bondage.

• infoman Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:11 a.m.

The president is like the average American in overspending, sinking further and further into debt, and not having any idea how to improve the situation.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:06 a.m.

How are we alike? I'm not an empty chair:)

Seriously folks. My ancestors didn't come from Kenya. I didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth. I didn't get to go to an ivy league college. I haven't eaten dog. I don't believe in the alarmists profitering global warming, cooling, climate change nonsense. I don't agree with the occupy slums. I don't play the race card. I don't have hollywood and other billionaire elites buying me off. I'm not a chain smoker. My wife has class. My children go to public schools and not private. I haven't been golfing in 10 years. I have never been to Hawaii I even have family there and haven't been able to visit. I wasn't able to "gift" my children tens of thousands of dollars to avoid taxes. I actually care for people. I donate to charity without being forced to. I don't buy into the hope and change nonsense. I haven't associated with extremists ie Rev Wright, Bill Ayers, Michael Moore, occupy losers, vladimir putin. Nor do i bow to other dictators

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:06 a.m.

It sounds like there some new right wing meme on the internet that Obama is a millionaire playboy who just spends his days playing golf.

SERIOUSLY?

Are conservatives really so alienated from reality that they swallow this kind of nonsense just because it makes them feel good about their opposition to the president?

Mrs. Obama gave a powerful speech. But as much as I enjoyed it, it didn't hold a candle to the devastating dismanteling of Romney's vision for America made just before she spoke in the speeches by the current governor of Massachusetts and the current mayor of San Antonio.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:02 a.m.

This isn't about Mrs. Obama's presentation, completely, but she and the Key-note speaker both mentioned that they went to Harvard, Stanford, etc. They are definitely not like the rest of us. They got to those schools from poor, quote unquote, families. That means the programs that the United States Government provided got them there, from their own words. They want to continue that. President Obama chose to be a community organizer to not earn money, according to Mrs. Obama, but their family lived in a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood. I believe they got their money from people, just like me and you. We were taxed to provide those people the opportunity to go to college. They are not like me and you. They didn't go out and earn their money as those who weren't entitled to their benefits. Governor Romney may be rich now but he and his father and grandfather weren't rich in today's type of rich. They were rich in industry, labor and practicing long held GOP principles, that of working for a living. Not everyone can work but learn to fish not just getting fish handedout.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 8:56 a.m.

To Moderate who said "President Obama saved the United States from a Vice-President Palin.
    I am forever grateful for that."

He saved us from Sarah Palin by giving us...JOE BIDEN???

I am not an ideologue who thinks Governor Palin is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if I had to choose between her and Biden on a game of Jeopardy, my money would be on her.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 8:30 a.m.

President Obama may not be bad (quote unquote) but his party believes in principles that are not becoming a nation of people with integrity and honesty, if he was like me. The definition of those words have been changed in his party since President defined the word "is Is" to fit his mind and actions.

Even Senate Majority Leader's request to have people sing "Have I done any good in the world today" may have a different definition of good compared to what others have. You don't help people in need by giving them handouts, you teach them to work for what they get. People have different abilities in life and that is why places such as the Deseret Industries have practiced their princples of helping people in very many ways. It is not a one size fits all that this administration and the Senate Democrats wants for all of us. Government doesn't earn money, it provides services from our money. We hopefully elect people that engender that kind of philosophy. After listening to the people yesterday, including the President's wife, they want to make us believe we are just like the President. They are wrong.

• Pujols4mvp Lehi, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 8:28 a.m.

I'm offended, Mrs. Obama. I'm not inept, I'm not divisive, I don't talk around solutions, and I haven't golfed in years.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Sept. 5, 2012 8:16 a.m.

I am not buying it. I am simply not buying it.

Supposedly the Obama's "struggled?"

I am not buying it. I believe that Michelle is lying.

In the time-period that she claims that they struggled... They had just graduated from Harvard Law School, and purchased a quarter-of-a-million dollar house.

They *each* had (comparitively) high-paying jobs after graduating from (one of) the *top* university in the world.

I am just not buying it.

I graduated from college, and got a job school teaching.

They *each* graduated from Harvard Law, and got high-paying jobs as lawyers.

I struggled, and paid a big portion (10%) to my church.

They didn't struggle, and gave hardly anything to thier church that openly preached racism.

No... The Obama's didn't struggle. They didn't struggle after they had guaranteed jobs after graduating from Harvard.

And they want to spend *others* money on charity, while they live an oppulent lifestyle on the backs of American taxpayers.

The Obama's "struggle?"

Naw.

They went to the most-expensive schools. They lived in the most-expensive houses in corrupt Chicago. They wore the most-expensive clothes.

Goodbye, Obama.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 5, 2012 7:42 a.m.

Wow, somebody poked the beehive. No experience, wasted 6 trillion dollars, spent his whole time on vacation, higher unemployment, doesn't put his hand over his heart, he now has millions of dollars. Funny I didn't see one reference to the ACA. What I did see on Sunday was a Mitt Romney talking about the failed policies of President Obama..how his policies haven't worked..I'm sure everyone here agrees....oh yea I forgot to mention, what I saw was a taped replay from a speech Romney gave around the first of February 2009..less than two weeks after the President was sworn in. Facts, and context don't seem to matter at all to this crowd.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 5, 2012 7:41 a.m.

No he's not. I don't smoke marijuana and brag about. I don't send my wife to Spain while I stay "home" for my birthday party with hundreds of my "closest" friends. I'm also way better at math, for instance if I've lost 10 million jobs and created 4 million other jobs, I claim that as a net loss of 6 million. And I certainly wouldn't let my attorney general hide behind false lies when an American is murdered by a government program. My memory is much better too, I would remember that I claimed Bush was un-American when the national debt reached 9 trillion and then forget that speech when it hit 16 trillion under my policies and watch all the while proclaiming we are progressing! Progressing really? Where?!

That people are even considering voting for Obama it's astounding to me. He has spend out future and our childrens future. This is hot hope and change. It is oppression and force.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Sept. 5, 2012 7:21 a.m.

Four more years to make sure he plays every golf course in the WORLD.
    He isn't like me, cause my wife is nothing like her.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 6:28 a.m.

I'm sorry. The whole time I was reading that article, I could not stop the comparisons of Michelle Obama to Evita Peron (at least the Andrew Lloyd Webber version).

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 2:17 a.m.

No he's not.

I thought so four years ago, but he has proven otherwise.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Sept. 5, 2012 1:42 a.m.

When did Michelle begin stuttering? At the beginning of almost every sentence, she did that? Was this just nerves, or has she always spoken this way? What I did notice was how she seemed to attempt to come across sounding like a preacher, dropping her i-n-g's at the end of words. It was hard to listen to her.

• Terry Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 1:16 a.m.

Yeah, just like me Except I never spent a 6 trillion deficit in under 4 years with nothing to show for it except 1 million fewer jobs (net from when he took office), higher unemployment, more than twice the gas price per gallon contributing to significant inflation..... wait, neither has any other president even come close to doing that in our entire US History also. Carter came close, except he did not waste the full 6+ trillion in budget deficits that your children will have a tough time ever paying back through increased taxes, nobody has come even close to that figure in 1 term!

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 1:01 a.m.

DRay: Any time you'd like to have a debate, issue by issue, about why I support President Obama and look forward to his re-election, I would be glad to explain it to you.

• liberate Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:51 a.m.

I voted for Obama last time and despite the vitriol coming from the right will probably vote for Romney this time. Study after study has shown that the president's policies generally have little to do with the success of the economy. The central bank on the other hand does have a major impact, whether it's easy money, lower interest rates, or other measures. That said, Obama has been an above average president at best (unlike all those who think he has been the worst). There's no denying that the economy was in shambles when he took over, and he supported Keynesian efforts to revive it. I have no doubt whatsoever that had McCain or Romney been elected in 2008, they would not have done many of the exact same things that Obama (or at least this central bank has done). So why Romney this time? Again, Obama has been above average at best on any number of measures. Why not give another person a chance, somebody who by all accounts has been successful at working with different constituents throughout his life and uniting them? He may end up being great, or just above average at worst.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:41 p.m.

President Obama saved the United States from a Vice-President Palin.
    I am forever grateful for that.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:33 p.m.

C'mon, guys. She's talking about the general public. In a sense, Obama is just like most everyone else:

Can't balance a budget.
    Goes into debt for things we don't want or need.
    Blames his failures on other people.
    Doesn't have a positive economic I.Q.
    Can't get a budget to get a single vote in a chamber of Congress.
    Doesn't know what gifts the Queen of England would like.
    Knows the value of bribery and secrecy (no transparency).
    Tends to sign things without reading them ("We have to pass it to find out what's in it!").

And the number one reason that Obama is like most people:

He is UNFIT to hold the office of President of the United States.

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:23 p.m.

Wow. She gave a wonderful speech. I agree Obama isnt much like many of the posters here. He cares about people and works hard to improve this country. He has money now. He didnt. He said, himself, that someone, America, invested in him. Gave him a chance to get a good education. He has spent his adult life working with community projects to improve the lives of those around him. He was a senator gaining more experience dealing with the political world.
    He has the same priorities in his life that we are taught to have. The is no success that takes the place of success in the home. His family comes first with him. He has a strong marriage. He work hard at both his marriage, family and his job.
    He is there working for us, not some dream of 'us' in the fantasy of winning the lottery and being rich. No he is working for who we are now so we have a better future. A real future.

• DavidNL Holladay, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:11 p.m.

You're upset that we can't immediately dig our way out of a hole created by two wars, a finance sector run amuck, a mortgage industry gone awry and an auto industry on the brink?! And you believe that a "magical bounce" out of that hole is possible via a guy whose claim to leadership and business operations is at the helm of a company that did hostile takeovers and leveraged buyouts? Your answer is a guy who spent his career throwing down a couple hundred million from him and his rich clients and billions from banks, to take over a company, install a friendly board, eliminate jobs, spruce up books, borrow against the cash flow to pay back investors, (including a HUGE profit for themselves) and stick around long enough to take the company public and profit a second time and get out before things go South? This is your choice for captain? Heaven help us if Romney wins, and get ready for the ride of your life down to a new low. Remember trickle down economics, created by people like Mitt Romney for people just like you!

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:08 p.m.

No words to adequately tell how much I disagree with our current President...and I'm so amazed that there are folks who continue to support him...wonder what percentage are on government welfare of some type...large, I would guess.

• Anti Government Alpine, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:56 p.m.

re: Mormon Dem

Here is a new one for you then.

I can do basic math and he can't obviously. Over $136 000 per household.

16 trillion in debt...far more than any other President and the economy is still in the tank.

GM? May still be alive but certainly not healthy..go look at their stock price trend. Oh ya, don't forget the 30 Billion dollar price tag and still counting.

Bin Laden was killed by the Seals who have been hunting him down since George Bush gave the order to do so. Only an idiotic president would not let the Seals do what they have been working for years to achieve.

He never has run anything which is clear from the current economic and financial situation we are in.

Any normal business would have been shut down and left for dead long ago. Because it is government it gets to keep up the perpetual failure and he has only expedited it. it is your silly defense of this fool that is old and tired.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:49 p.m.

I don't think the president is 'just like me'. He's not real enough. But the people supporting romney are just delusional. The singular reality is that there are too many of us. No amount of drilling will make energy cheaper now. I'm more than willing to trash your environment in the name of energy development, but it's not going to help much. Israel is the stupidest nation on earth, but we'll support them. That's going to prove itself out soon. The 'miracle of modern agriculture' is entirely energy based. See my comments on energy. Wow, are we in trouble. Yeah, I'm supposed to be an obama supporter, and if I am it's because the republicans are just that much more out into lala land.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:39 p.m.

To: MormonDem, Provo, UT - the fact is, Pres. Obama is too inexperienced for the specific issues that we as a nation are facing. The issues all revolve around the economy and jobs. Pres. Obama does not have real-world experience in these areas. We as a nation cannot afford 4 more years of his direction. Yes, he has gained 4 years of experience in the White House at the expense of all of us. We have to cut our losses while we can.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:38 p.m.

thank you Michelle for enlightening all of us concerning your wonderful Husband. Gee - let's all go vote for Barack now. Michelle says he is just one of the guys. Well darn - who would have thought. Did you notice that Michelle's nose started to grow and grow during the speech!!! Liar liar pants on fire.....

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:34 p.m.

re:MormonDem

We don't HATE Obama - we just think he is the worst president in US history! Let's see...

he has added 6 trillion to our national debt. Obviously you have no idea what this means to America. Obama called Bush UN-patriotic for adding 4 trillion over 8 years and he has added 6 trillion in half that time. Your children and grandchildren will suffer with a lesser America because of Obama's reckless borrowing and spending. Soon our creditors will jack up interest rates that they lend to us and our banks will pass those rates along to you. How does 15% interest sound to ya??? YOu can thank for buddy in the White House.

he has put 23 million out of work - 23 months of 8+ percent unemployment. I would guess if you had stood in one of Obama's unemployment lines you wouldn't be so 'cheery'

he has caused the first credit down grade of the US in history

he has added more to the food stamp roles than any US president

The CBO projects 9.2% unemployment at the end of 2013 ... unless we change course

Ouch!!! Eastwood was right!!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:23 p.m.

BHO is nothing like I am! I believe in a Constitutional form of government. I know and study our American history, honor our Founding Fathers and the Constitution. I do not go into debt nor encourage our country to borrow and spend more than it brings in. I am too busy working a job in the private sector to play 100 rounds of golf in the last 4 years. I do not go on lots of lavish vacations on other people's dime. I put my hand over my heart when I see the flag and say the pledge. I love our national athem. I do not think a president should evoke presidental privilege and go over Congress to get his way multiple times. I do not apologize for this wonderful country of ours. I think people should show work for welfare. I want drilling for natural resources in the states. I value the life of an unborn child and would never allow partial birth abortion. I could go on and on.

Romney-Ryan 2012 Let's fix this mess and get our country back!

• melanie_me Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:22 p.m.

IndeMak said "...no God allowed at the DNC". I guess I just imagined all those "God Bless Americas." Oh, and Gov. Strickland, an ordained Methodist Minister, quoted scripture during his speech. Or did I imagine that too?

• Frustrated Huntington Beach, CA
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:21 p.m.

If he was like me he would be taking a bus to work everyday. He would live in an apartment and not have other people's money to spend. He would stay home instead od go on a vacation not just once a year but he goes a lot of the time. I don't see him struggling to put food on the table. No the president isn't like me. Maybe she should have thought thie the statement through a little better before telling America he is like the rest of us. What do the first family actually pay for besides clothes and maybe a few electronic toys for their daughters. NO HE ISN'T LIKE ME WHAT SO EVER.

• melanie_me Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:18 p.m.

Hey A1994, So working as an attorney at a private law firm doesn't count as working in the private sector?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:18 p.m.

Obama is a rich multi- millionaire who probably finds loopholes when paying taxes. Wouldn't mind being like him in this regard.

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:10 p.m.

Democrats hired a man with no financial experience, no executive experience, no governing experience, no business experience, and no economic experience claiming he was perfect for the job.

Tell you what, Democrats, let me hire you a person to help you with your health problems, and I'll pick someone for you with no medical experience, no patient experience, no surgical experience, no knowledge of biology or human anatomy - and I'll declare he is perfect for the job - the ideal candidate to manage all your health care needs. Deal?

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:08 p.m.

Obama has nothing in common with me. Our ideas couldn't be further apart. Lies, broken promises,,blame, abortion and no God allowed at the DNC?

When do we accept accountability for our actions?

I don't blame Obama for the economy but feel he didn't try to improve it. Spent more time golfing and attending sporting events than he did with the jobs council board.

• Twigie Tooele, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:01 p.m.

Unemployed?

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:00 p.m.

@MormonDem

Don't delude yourself. It's certainly not working on the rest of us. I don't hate Barack Obama. I do hate his policies. Mathematically they don't work. His policies cannot get unemployment below 8%. It won't happen in a second term.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:00 p.m.

Neither of us built a business. The buck stops there.

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 9:47 p.m.

Seriously, folks, he ran a successful campaign for the presidency, and has been president for nearly four years. Whether you like what he's done or not, the "he's never run anything" line, or the "he's too inexperienced" bit, they just don't work any more.

It's always amusing to read the sputtering comments of people who are still so angry about him winning in 2008 that they haven't bothered to update their reasons for hating him since then.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 4, 2012 9:36 p.m.

"Michelle Obama's message: President Barack Obama is just like you." Let's see...Obama has no experience on running anything...with his failing records to create jobs, close Gitmo, cut deficits, effective leader to lead congress, etc... millions still want him to continue his failing experiment. If BO is "just like me", then He should be Fired! No one with such failure and inexperience should be given another 4 yrs

• justme001 Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 9:33 p.m.

unlce

So you are resigning you job tomorrow?

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 9:28 p.m.

Except he's a millionaire who never held a private sector job. But other than that...

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 9:22 p.m.

If President Obama was just like me, he would resign today, to let a more qualified person take over.