Sports

High school football rankings

Comments

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 8, 2012 7:47 p.m.

We'll come back strong next week- we'll be on top when it really counts!

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Sept. 8, 2012 12:05 a.m.

Wasp, I didn't say I didn't believe in the team, I was just saying we don't need to be on here making statements like "I don't think we'll have too much trouble with Wasatch" (we know how that went) and predicting future victories. I think it's better to be quiet and let your play speak for itself.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 10:13 p.m.

wasp - ought oh. I don't think you're quite ready for top five.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 5:48 p.m.

Disgruntled- I'm not meaning to cause any waves- just excited about our Waasps. I don't see any problem putting the expectations out there- I truly believe this is the year we make a deep run in the 3A- we are loaded with talent and great coaching. I promise you this, the kids and coaches think they can go far, why don't you?

• Tigerman La Verkin, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Personally I'm glad to see Juab doing so well. I'm a coach Bowring fan and think he does a good job with those kids.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 1:49 p.m.

Wasp, we are all glad to be 3-0 but let's not get carried away here! Personally, I like it better when nobody expects you to do anything and you have a chance to surprise. We really don't need fans coming on here proclaiming our greatness and saying we are better than Juan Diego or going to beat a region 9 team in the playoffs. Please, just let the kids play! To those reading Wasp's comments we realize we haven't done anything yet. We're winning, and that's nice but not every fan is ready to rank Juab in the top 5 or make bets with region 9. We hope to win this week, although anybody that follows football at all knows we will have our hands full. As far as our schedule, I wouldn't exactly call it "weak". I guess that remains to be seen. Amanap,pronunciation smack? Really? Is Hurricane pronounced Hurricayn or Hurricun? Pretty weak huh?

• SJH BRONCOS Over there, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 8:34 p.m.

Delta won back in 2001. I don't know their numbers but I would imagine they are smaller. To be honest I would love to see Juab, delta, north sanpete carbon, Morgan, grantsville and a few other of the small 3a schools drop back to 2a. 2a has three or four teams dominate year in year out. Be nice to have more competition.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 8:27 p.m.

Wasp - I totally agree with you on the numbers. Hurricane has done remarkably well being so much smaller than the other so Utah schools but that hasn't always been the case. Our first victory over Dixie in school history wasn't until sometime in the 90's. When UHSAA adds 6A for football I'm sure it will even things up a little bit for your team. I didn't think about you being better than JD. They have been so dominant for so long it would be hard to rank the wasps higher at this point. It's too bad your schedule is so weak. It's very difficult to predict.
    I'll take the bet on the Wasps beating a Region 9 team. The top four are pretty loaded this year.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:59 p.m.

"won"- not when

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:28 p.m.

We are 450- numbers make a HUGE difference. When was the last time a lower enrollment school when a state championship? I'd be interested to know the answer if anyone has the info. out there.

• woodness Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 11:07 a.m.

dear wasp,
    you have really funny jokes.

• USC Fan in Utah Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:34 a.m.

@amanap

If that is an accurate number of total enrollment, I am definitely impressed with what they are able to put together on the football field.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:36 a.m.

890 kids, lowest enrollment in Washington County. Is Juab pronounced "Jew-ab" or "Wahb".

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:13 p.m.

I'm sure no will touch Hurricane this year- have you looked at their enrollment numbers?

• 2A Football Over there, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Juab fans getting on here again acting like they own Utah high school football! They still have never won a state football title! No one will touch hurricane this year!

• ABITOUTSIDE Central, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 9:01 p.m.

Emery is a good team, especially at home. Anyone knows when you go over the mountain it is usually 11 on 16. The home cooking hurts their program, look at winning percentages at home in any sport and compare it to away or neutral fields. Manti was lucky to come out with a win, they dominated in every statistical category, especially with yellow flags. Emery is a big and physical team.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 5:52 p.m.

Amanap- Juab is 3A- Region consists of Payson, Spanish Fork, Delta, North Sanpte, and Carbon

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 3:05 p.m.

Boys of Fall...SS vs Millard would be a good one this year.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Tigerfan- Thank goodness last year isn't this year. Juab also made the playoffs last year. I'd say that Juab is better than Juan Diego- Juan Diego barely squeaked by Salem Hiills and we were ahead of Salem HIlls 28-2 heading into the 4th quarter. Yes, we had a mental break down the 4th quarter, but other than that we dominated them. I'll put money on it, we'll beat a southern team in the 1st round and make a deep run to Rice Eccles!

• amanap Washington, ut
    Sept. 4, 2012 2:34 p.m.

Wasp

Juab is not terrible like usual, that's all. They're not a competitor, they're just not terrible. I'm still pretty sure they're 2a aren't they? I keep hearing their 3a...

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 2:04 p.m.

JD, good to see you. Did you see in the Trib on Saturday that it had S.Sevier beating SJ 33-7 (if I remember right) and had SJ's record of 2-1 because of their "loss" to your Rams. So, maybe check with the Trib, they might be in the top 5 there. Love your enthusiasm for the Rams though.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 1:25 p.m.

A little disappointing not to see South Sevier in the top 5!

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 12:56 p.m.

Wasp - Which team is Juab better than in the top five and why? Each of those teams went to the playoffs last year and each appears to be as good as or better than last year.

• William over there, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Boys of Fall Im a bit worried about San Juan with the weaker region. Come play off time that will hurt, just like last year. Hope San Juan can get it done this year, they will be average for a few years after this group of seniors is gone. You never know they will still have great coaching, tradition and desire on thier side.

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:07 a.m.

Emery was looking pretty good against the reigning champs, at least for half the game. Is nice to see Emery in the top 5, where I thought they should have been last week. So, here are my 2A top 5 for the week:
    1- Manti: Close game on the road, but was able to put together good second half for the win. Stays at this spot until a 2A team beats them.
    2- SJ: Looking good in weaker southern region. Quality win over Snow Canyon though. Might be the best in 2A, but, just like SJ last year, keeping Manti #1 until another 2A school proves otherwise.
    3- S. Summit: Look pretty good, but both wins came against teams that are a combined 1-5. With loss to 1-2 Morgan. Will get better feel for this team after they host Millard this week.
    4- Emery: Good team that will be dangerous throughout the year and into the playoffs.
    5- Millard: Rough game this past week as they had to adjust to injury's in the offense. Will need to be better this week to have chance against SS.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 8:17 a.m.

Disappointed not to see the mighty Juab Wasps in the Top 5. Oh well, I guess all we can do is keep getting quality wins and eventually we'll get the respect we deserve. Off to Wastach this Friday- should be able to get by them without much problem.